WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't Shantina previously live close to Olympia? I wondered a few days ago if she had maybe been to that exact beach spot years ago... and was asking directions to that spot.

I've been known to visit old stomping grounds when I'm back in an area... and things always look very different.

It occurred to me because of the route south then left that she took by mistake. It looks like the same directions she took when she headed north to the beach.

i personally am dismissing anything that RS has said.

i want to know:

why he didn't have his phone charged.
why he forgot his charger.
why he didn't call SS at 4:30 when his scout meeting ended early.
why he didn't go home and get his charger.
why he hasn't mentioned SS's whereabouts when she called him at 6:45.

I wonder if RS knew these details of her past.

I think she had a classic "blackout" and probably didn't know where she was... kept coming in and out of the blackout and that's why she kept asking for directions. I think it's also highly probable she lied to her boyfriend and others about the amount she drank but her boy was fully aware, hence his comment to strangers about her hitting her head (covering for her condition).

And, don't get me started on WA CPS!!! :furious:

According to CPS, these complaints were received in the past 5 years:
• A report was filed in June 2005 that Carver suffered "serious physical abuse" by Smiley's former boyfriend. The complaint was investigated, and the boyfriend was arrested for assault - but never prosecuted.

• In March 2007, CPS investigated a complaint that Smiley had physically abused her son, but the complaint was closed as "unfounded."

• In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care.

• Another referral was made to CPS in April 2009 about Smiley and her son, but no details were immediately available. "We're still waiting to find out how much contact we had at this time," Hill said.

CPS will now conduct an extensive "fatality review," which involves going over every aspect of the case to see if mistakes were made by any agency along the way.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88624222.html

This makes me ill....:sick:

Didn't Shantina previously live close to Olympia? I wondered a few days ago if she had maybe been to that exact beach spot years ago... and was asking directions to that spot.

I've been known to visit old stomping grounds when I'm back in an area... and things always look very different.

It occurred to me because of the route south then left that she took by mistake. It looks like the same directions she took when she headed north to the beach.

I don't know about being there before. It was a private beach. Access was off homeowners private driveway.

He asked her to grab his charger when she called him at 4:15 to let him know she was leaving. She left without her call phone, so even if he did try to call her at 4:30, it would do him no good, since nobody would be picking up that phone (he might have expected she would not pick up anyway while driving, given that is now illegal in WA). Since I'm sure he expected that she had indeed grabbed his charger for him, why go home to get it?

She told him she had stopped in Olympia when she called, and he did state that. We don't know if she bothered to tell him precisely where in Olympia she called from. Don't know if police have verified what pay phone that call came from (presumably so, but immaterial now).

I read on a news report that she told him she wasn't sure where she was in Olympia, but that Az was hungry and she would see him in a couple of hours.

Even if his battery was dead, she could have left him messages. I know I check my vm on my cell phone from a land line when my battery is dead.

This is what I think may have happened. She tried to turn around and accidentally backed into that narrow steep path to the beach. She trys to pull forward but her wheels spin, so she backs all the way down and then trys to turn around, gets stuck.

Desides to heck with it, tells her son to just go to sleep. She drinks some wine thinking about the mess she is in. She decides to get some sleep, front seat isn't comfortable, son is sleeping in back seat. She puts the keys on the dash, tosses the wine jug in the water, goes to the back to sleep, after she climbs in, the hatch doesn't close completely. Tide is still low and she has no experience with rising tide.

As the tide comes in it raises the hatch back, son wakes up, sees the water rising in to the van. He tries to wake his mom but it is not working, he has a hard time getting the side door open, so does not close it. He then goes to back and tries to pull her out. He may have pulled off one of her shoes.

Mom wakes up in total shock, water is rising, boy is tired and goes under. Mom tries to help him, water is cold, its still dark, she can't find him, they both drown.

Mom_Son_Missing_JPE_465484c.jpg

Thurston County Sheriff's detectives Rod Gray and Tim Arnold along with Sgt. Ken Clark collect evidence Tuesday March 16, 2010 in Tumwater,Wash. from the van of Shantina Smiley, which was found on a beach near Zangle Road Sunday, with no trace of Smiley or her eight year-old son Azriel Carver. (AP Photo/The Olympian, Steve Bloom)

Mom_Son_Missing_JPE_467437c.jpg

A mark is evident is shown on the passenger side of the abandoned van of Shantina Smiley Tuesday March 16, 2010 in Tumwater,Wash., which was found on a beach near Zangle Road Sunday, with no trace of Smiley or her eight year-old son Azriel Carver. (AP Photo/The Olympian, Steve Bloom)

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-worl..._Son_Missing_JPE_467437c.jpg&superSizeImage=y

I thought I read that there was a mark or damage on the car. I still think she may have been scared because she hit something and knew that she would be in trouble if she was caught drinking. She did have a hit and run/DUI earlier and was still under the conditions of that until April, right? I'm trying to remember but I have to run so I am typing this fast! LOL

This is what I think may have happened. She tried to turn around and accidentally backed into that narrow steep path to the beach. She trys to pull forward but her wheels spin, so she backs all the way down and then trys to turn around, gets stuck.

Desides to heck with it, tells her son to just go to sleep. She drinks some wine thinking about the mess she is in. She decides to get some sleep, front seat isn't comfortable, son is sleeping in back seat. She puts the keys on the dash, tosses the wine jug in the water, goes to the back to sleep, after she climbs in, the hatch doesn't close completely. Tide is still low and she has no experience with rising tide.

As the tide comes in it raises the hatch back, son wakes up, sees the water rising in to the van. He tries to wake his mom but it is not working, he has a hard time getting the side door open, so does not close it. He then goes to back and tries to pull her out. He may have pulled off one of her shoes.

Mom wakes up in total shock, water is rising, boy is tired and goes under. Mom tries to help him, water is cold, its still dark, she can't find him, they both drown.

Possible, except I don't think anyone could back down that "road" in the dark (especially impaired) and alcoholics wouldn't throw away their booze, would they? Whatever happened, I don't think there was intent.

Beach_Road_End2_t607.jpg

Search Continues For Missing Mom

Investigators believe if Smiley hasn't reached Fox Island yet, she soon will. If not, it is very possible that her body may have floated past the south end of the island.

It's not unusual for a body to travel through a few different counties during a tide change, especially through here because the water moves really fast through some of these channels and we could have a body in Thurston County and through a tide change end up in King County," said Troyer.

A ground search along the beach turned up no sign of Smiley. Divers on a boat searched as well and a Coast Guard helicopter and sheriff's office plane flew overhead.

Investigators looked at phone records and talked to people who know Smiley or her son or may have met her Saturday night as she drove through back roads. Her fiance, Robb Simmons, told authorities she was a recovering alcoholic who had relapsed last week.

Meanwhile, Jay Carver has nothing left but regrets, because he hadn't seen his son in years.

"It tears me up inside," he says. "Nobody's gonna ever realize, like I said, if they're like any people who aren't playing the role of dad, let this be a lesson to you. It hurts."

http://www.q13fox.com/kcpq-031810-boy,0,4124385.story

above bolded by me:
I was wondering if there was a chance that she passed out and something happened after that. She didn't look intoxicated to me in the videos but that doesn't mean anything. Especially since she fell and maybe she had been drinking all day. Gosh, this is just awful! We just don't know enough. Like what directions was she asking for. That still bothers me that we don't know.

This is interesting - if you look at RS's MySpace page, you'll see her comments to him expressing love go back to Sept 2007. So, at that time, she didn't have custody of Az.

http://comment.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewComments&friendID=37164663

On a side note with him knowing this information, RS saying that she would never do anything to harm her child is inaccurate.

However, the police had to have known this and did not disclose to the media until Az was found. So I'm sure there is a lot we do not know still.

According to CPS, these complaints were received in the past 5 years:
• A report was filed in June 2005 that Carver suffered "serious physical abuse" by Smiley's former boyfriend. The complaint was investigated, and the boyfriend was arrested for assault - but never prosecuted.

• In March 2007, CPS investigated a complaint that Smiley had physically abused her son, but the complaint was closed as "unfounded."

• In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care.

• Another referral was made to CPS in April 2009 about Smiley and her son, but no details were immediately available. "We're still waiting to find out how much contact we had at this time," Hill said.

CPS will now conduct an extensive "fatality review," which involves going over every aspect of the case to see if mistakes were made by any agency along the way.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88624222.html

That poor child :(

So sorry. little Azriel. Sorry you were robbed of life by so many adults. Especially, the one who should have loved you the most....

All of the flowery "great mom" fairy tales told by those who knew this woman are nothing but enabling, big, fat lies!!

WOW...this is also at the above link:

I guess there is not much of a question regarding her alcohol abuse. So so very sad.

Ten? They say three were investigated, one apparently unfounded, one involved her neglecting him while intoxicated. What of the other seven? Was it a case of someone with honest intentions concerned about Azriel or was someone using the system to harass her? Who reported her?

Ten? They say three were investigated, one apparently unfounded, one involved her neglecting him while intoxicated. What of the other seven? Was it a case of someone with honest intentions concerned about Azriel or was someone using the system to harass her? Who reported her?

The article didn't say what the circumstances were, but once one reported incidence was found valid, ALL should have been investigated. Much better to be safe than sorry, we all know.

Maybe it's just me, but I think ANY and ALL complaints involving a child's welfare should be investigated. And especially if previous valid complaints had been made.

I think they mean three were deemed valid complaints to investigate further.

Oh my gosh...for a 'relapse' they look like they are having a pretty good time! Interesting side note: he just made this photos viewable to non-friends. Yesterday/day before (can't remember) it said the photos were private. Why would he do that and leave that photo?? I try to click on that photo and can't view it though. But I do see the beer from the thumbnail.

They shut down this link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members