WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alcoholism is a disease - often a genetic inheritance and if you search, it can be traced in families down through generations.

Most hospitals have what may be looked at as an "impaired professional committee'. Professionals with a disease such as a mental disorder (depression, bipolar) or an addiction (alcohol, drugs) are befriended by those who have successfully come through such a plot in life or by those who have the credentials to help.

My point - addictions and mental illness find their way across all walks of life - men, women, professional, non professional, educated, no education, rich, poor. Understanding mental illness and addiction breeds compassion and empathy and it's those qualities that will lead to a treatment and cure. Think back to how we once treated mental illness, low IQ's (how 'bout that word - retarded), schizophrenia, bipolar. Before science took over, treatment for such illnesses was nothing more or less than torture and humiliation. Sorta like how we talk about addiction in this day and age. MOO

roadtobeach_t607.jpg

Off Zangle Road NE in North Olympia is a narrow gravel road leading to the beach where the van Shantina Smiley had been driving was found. The entrance to that gravel road is marked by a red arrow. (Photo courtesy of reader Robert Dashiell)

http://www.kitsapsun.com/photos/gal...tina-smiley-disappearance/8910/#ixzz0iebSFKjb

I just do not even know how she found that gravel road. Without the arrow I wouldn't have known it existed. Everyone that came into contact with her that night must be devastated, and even those that didn't. The people living in the house in the pic, must be saying, if only we had heard the vehicle, if only.... sad, just sad.

That is an excellent point. It is very odd that they would wash up at the same time and at the same location...

I was also wondering if someone (kids, etc) may have gone down to the beach, seen her car and took her stuff, but missed the wallet.

I'm so baffled as to where the overnight bag and purse are. Why didn't they show up in the same place as the wine bottle? They could have sunk, but the sonar would have found them

Just to clarify, the items that washed up on the beach were only about 1/4 mile from where the van was. Washed up well before Az's body was discovered some 15 nautical miles away.

roadtobeach_t607.jpg

Off Zangle Road NE in North Olympia is a narrow gravel road leading to the beach where the van Shantina Smiley had been driving was found. The entrance to that gravel road is marked by a red arrow. (Photo courtesy of reader Robert Dashiell)

http://www.kitsapsun.com/photos/gal...tina-smiley-disappearance/8910/#ixzz0iebSFKjb

I just do not even know how she found that gravel road. Without the arrow I wouldn't have known it existed. Everyone that came into contact with her that night must be devastated, and even those that didn't. The people living in the house in the pic, must be saying, if only we had heard the vehicle, if only.... sad, just sad.

I don't see a sign on the "main" drive that it's a dead end. I couldn't even venture a guess as to why she'd turn down that gravel drive.

Just to clarify, the items that washed up on the beach were only about 1/4 mile from where the van was. Washed up well before Az's body was discovered some 15 nautical miles away.

It takes 2 days before a "package" of things with different weights arrive together in one spot 1/4 mile away? :-\

Does anyone think SS is still alive?

Nope.

And I hope that the police don't write this off as simply an 'accident' due to her drinking. Too many things don't add up from too many angles.

I don't see a sign on the "main" drive that it's a dead end. I couldn't even venture a guess as to why she'd turn down that gravel drive.

"No Outlet" and/or "Dead End" signs would be posted far before that, where Zange pavement ends essentially. Not that she could apparently read a road sign anywhere that night.

Is that a light pole at the entrance? You know the one with the white thing on the top? A street-light, maybe?

It takes 2 days before a "package" of things with different weights arrive together in one spot 1/4 mile away? :-\

One of the many things in this case that simply doesn't make sense. IMO, police should try to recreate this and see what happens.

Sad Pictures

20100318-204602-pic-719421644_t607.jpg

Emergency responders gather near a spot of shoreline on Fox Island Thursday where the body of a young boy was found. A woman walking along the shore discovered the body Thursday afternoon, and members of the Pierce County Sheriff’s Office were able to determine it was the body of 8-year-old Azriel Carver. (MEEGAN M. REID | KITSAP SUN)

fox-island_t607.jpg

Aerial footage of the beach on Fox Island where the body of a boy was found. Courtesy of KOMO-TV.

20100318-204602-pic-32354854_t607.jpg

A patrol boat comes ashore near the spot on Fox Island where the the body of 8-year-old Azriel Carver was found Thursday. (MEEGAN M. REID | KITSAP SUN)

20100318-204602-pic-52144262_t607.jpg

Jay Carver talks with the media near the spot on Fox Island where the body of a his son, 8-year-old Azriel, was boy was found on Thursday. “You really don’t know who you have in your life until they’re gone,” he said after learning of the death of his son. (MEEGAN M. REID | KITSAP SUN)

http://www.kitsapsun.com/photos/gal...ers-body-found-fox-island/8948/#ixzz0ieg4itZc

Agree! Pulling up on that, I would have thought it was someone's driveway!

Actually, maybe she did? Perhaps that explains her going that way. Maybe she was going to stop to ask directions again, and realized too late where she was heading.

"No Outlet" and/or "Dead End" signs would be posted far before that, where Zange pavement ends essentially. Not that she could apparently read a road sign anywhere that night.

It's hard to tell from that photo where the main road ends.

Once the wheels of her van hit the gravel road she would have had to know she was no longer on a route that would lead to a main highway. I would have instantly backed up and turned around and in the picture there appears to be enough room to have done so.

I also am wondering with all of the stops she made asking for directions, the possibility is that she knew she was being seen, alot. Almost as if she wanted to make sure people saw her and remembered seeing her.

roadtobeach_t607.jpg

From the looks of this photo I would say that she had to intentionally drive down this road. It's next to invisible, especially in the dark (?)!

Has anyone asked for help from the Forensic Astrologers? With all the time stamps available they probably could provide some piece or pieces of info that would help to answer who, why, etc.

According to CPS, these complaints were received in the past 5 years:
• A report was filed in June 2005 that Carver suffered "serious physical abuse" by Smiley's former boyfriend. The complaint was investigated, and the boyfriend was arrested for assault - but never prosecuted.

• In March 2007, CPS investigated a complaint that Smiley had physically abused her son, but the complaint was closed as "unfounded."

• In August 2007, the agency found that Smiley was negligent in caring for her son after she left him unsupervised while she was passed out from alcohol intoxication. The boy was placed under the care of relatives while Smiley received substance abuse treatment, then returned the next year to his mother's care.

• Another referral was made to CPS in April 2009 about Smiley and her son, but no details were immediately available. "We're still waiting to find out how much contact we had at this time," Hill said.

CPS will now conduct an extensive "fatality review," which involves going over every aspect of the case to see if mistakes were made by any agency along the way.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88624222.html

From the looks of this photo I would say that she had to intentionally drive down this road. It's next to invisible, especially in the dark (?)!

I agree, you would have to know it was there. Did she drive down there? or did someone who knew the area drive her down there?

Based on those photos that show how high the water is at high tide, it's easy to see how hard it may have been to get out of the van & the water.

Sunday, March 14, 2010, the sun rose @ approx. 6:28 a.m. in Olympia.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=185&month=3&year=2010&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

The tide was high @ approx. 6:10 a.m. It would have still been somewhat dark, but I don't think it was pitch dark, since the sky gets lighter before the sun rises. But they could have tried to exit the van earlier when it was still pitch black. It would have been hard to tell which direction land was, unless they kept their wits about them and used the van as a guiding point. KWIM?

But that water is extremely cold, and if the current close to the shore was strong, or if there was a rip tide (which there are in that area, but I don't know how close to shore the rip tides are) then making it out of the water would have been very difficult, if not impossible.

This is all assuming they stayed in the van all night.

roadtobeach_t607.jpg

Maybe she turned in the driveway on the left, attempting to turn around. Then hit that little road going in reverse. It looks quite steep, maybe she had to back all the way down and turn around to get back up to the main road.

Then got stuck on the beach. But why did they not walk back up to the house for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx