WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a question:

Why did she not continuously honk the horn if she was in trouble? The homes are so close.

Another thought:

Maybe she found the beach earlier in the day while she was driving around and decided to go back.

Could she have met the ex down there?

I also noticed something in this video that is curious - as she is leaving the store, she looks up and smiles as like she is smiling at someone near the van. Maybe it was her ex and they went down to the beach.

Where she smiles is at about 8 on the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOrkS8jQEc

the photos look like there is only one tire stuck - what are thoughts on getting out of mud and sand if only one tire is stuck?

Unless the van had track differential (some can be turned off and on if you know about it) only one tire would spin if you were stuck in the mud.
The movie My Cousin Vinny talked about it. Older vehicles it was called Possi Traction. My car has a button to turn it on but unless you know what it means its useless.

The sheer number of gadgets in the Grand Caravan - both standard and optional - creates a stunning list that rivals anything GM can offer. From the de rigeur navigation systems to three power open/close doors to seats that easily fold into the floor, the Grand Caravan easily matches the feature list of any competing minivan (lacking only a full-length sunroof), even as its general convenience and design present advantages over competitors. Even without the fancy gadgets and features, the Caravan is still a good buy, with surprisingly good cornerning and feel, and a convenient size and height which provides visibility to the driver as well as access.

Standard on the Grand SXT is Dodge's Stow 'n Go 2nd- and 3rd-row seats that fold into floorwells. With the seats raised, the wells provide covered storage space. Other available features include power sliding side doors, power liftgate, power-adjustable pedals, rear DVD entertainment, and navigation system. Newly available are Chrysler's UConnect, which uses the audio system as a hands-free wireless link to cell phones, and ceiling tracks that allow moving and removing such items as storage bins, a CD holder, and a first-aid kit.

We know that it was the Grand Caravan because we've seen the power doors in the video and it was confirmed that Az often watched the DVD in the backseat.

Here is a question:

Why did she not continuously honk the horn if she was in trouble? The homes are so close.

That's what I wondered too. A big red flag that she did not want to seek help.

Here is something else. In the video with RS he says at 6:45pm she tells him she was pulling off the road to get her son something to eat. Yet she does not go to the diner until 9pm. Orders but doesn't stick around to get it. To make her more memorable? Then the trip, fall scene.

So where was she between 6:45-9pm? Her only other phone call is at 10pm to grandfather but not to the people who were expecting her. Hmmm.

All the while she is just 45 minute drive away from her destination.

Oh yeah, the handy pantry stop was about 8pm so then we don't know where she was from 6:45 to 8pm and from 8 to 10pm she made which other stops.

BTW: who reported the Williams were an elderly couple? The boy still had not had anything to eat until they gave him pizza apparantly since he had obviously been hungry since 6 something. 4 hours and still no food. What if those people didn't have food to offer. How long were they at the home?
She is negligent for sure and for all we know just driving around killing time for some reason. I believe we are told at one place when she stopped for directions she was within eyesight of the interstate and went the other way!!

Red Flags. They need to treat this as a possible homicide and staged disappearance.

I thought I already posted this but I guess not. Does anyone know if this model of mini van has a button to release the back hatch on the dashboard and/or in the back of the van? And if so, would it work without the keys on? I used to have a car that had a trunk release button on the key remote.

Also I was trying to find the video surveillance footage that showed Az getting into the passenger rear of the van to see for sure if this was the sliding type doors or regular ones. I can't seem to find it.

It had sliding doors that closed by remote. So I guess the back would as well?

Unless the van had track differential (some can be turned off and on if you know about it) only one tire would spin if you were stuck in the mud.
The movie My Cousin Vinny talked about it. Older vehicles it was called Possi Traction. My car has a button to turn it on but unless you know what it means its useless.

So in my sinister scenario, she wasn't joy riding doing the donuts she was attempting to get the tires stuck? She leaves with the keys, her overnight bag and purse and hits the remote to open the doors and hatch?

With the X guy she was smiling at in the video surveillance who was trailing them for the later rendezvous. It looked like a smile you'd give to someone you knew not a stranger. JMO

100 Nosey Questions - answered by Shantina Smiley (nee Wallingford ???) on 04 February 2008

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=243140172&blogId=354709873

"Your most prized possession: Son"

Date of Birth - from Blog by Shantina Smiley on 05 May 2008

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=243140172&page=2

Joke Survey Q & A - from Blog by T W on 04 December 2006

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=114631164

Note: Her DOB (as per her blog details) is 06 May 1980 - she will be 30 this year.

Here is something else. In the video with RS he says at 6:45pm she tells him she was pulling off the road to get her son something to eat. Yet she does not go to the diner until 9pm. Orders but doesn't stick around to get it. To make her more memorable? Then the trip, fall scene.

So where was she between 6:45-9pm? Her only other phone call is at 10pm to grandfather but not to the people who were expecting her. Hmmm.

Oh yeah, the handy pantry stop was about 8pm so then we don't know where she was from 6:45 to 8pm and from 8 to 10pm she made which other stops.

BTW: who reported the Williams were an elderly couple? The boy still had not had anything to eat until they gave him pizza apparantly since he had obviously been hungry since 6 something. 4 hours and still no food. What if those people didn't have food to offer. How long were they at the home?
She is negligent for sure and for all we know just driving around killing time for some reason. I believe we are told at one place when she stopped for directions she was within eyesight of the interstate and went the other way!!

Red Flags. They need to treat this as a possible homicide and staged disappearance.
I have often wondered if the police do not know far more than they are saying. LE often "play dumb" until they can offer proof, or make an arrest, etc.

Did she meet with the EX during this period or another friend ???

Did she meet with the EX during this period or another friend ???

That's what I'm wondering. Also, JS is the one in the video who has this weird smile on his face and has to use his hand over his mouth to suppress a laugh. Very strange reaction to the situation. I watched this on a youtube video interview. I'll go back and see how it's titled for the record. I am stubborn about learning to post links.

ETA: " New Clues Wash Ashore- Dennis Williams"

JS in red hoody interview

Here is the timeline I have for them. Seems only an hour is really unknown and that is between when she called Robb to say she was in Olympia somewhere and stopping off because Az was hungry (6:45) and them stopping off at the Handy Pantry at 7:50. The rest of the stops seem to account for driving times.

ETA: It won't let me upload the excel spreadsheet I made showing times and locations.

Another thought:

Maybe she found the beach earlier in the day while she was driving around and decided to go back.

Could she have met the ex down there?

I also noticed something in this video that is curious - as she is leaving the store, she looks up and smiles as like she is smiling at someone near the van. Maybe it was her ex and they went down to the beach.

Where she smiles is at about 8 on the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhOrkS8jQEc

I watched the video a few times. It appears to me that she is smiling at someone inside the store as she enters the store with her son - you can see a car parked in front of the store outside (behind her). I assumed she was smiling at the store clerk as she entered.

In this same video, the detective that is interviewed confirms that the smaller shoe was ID'd as SS's shoe.

She left the Williams' home approx. 10:00, was seen on video surveillance @ Gull Harbor Mercantile (which was closed) approx. 10:35, and the detective estimates the van was at the beach approx. 11:00. He was also doubtful (given the time frame) that they became the victims of foul play between the Mercantile store & the beach.

Low tide was approx. 10:34 that night.

The question in my mind is this: was she driving around all those hours waiting for low tide? Or is it just a strange coincidence that she arrived on the beach right when low tide was occurring?

100 Nosey Questions - answered by Shantina Smiley (nee Wallingford ???) on 04 February 2008

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=243140172&blogId=354709873

"Your most prized possession: Son"

Date of Birth - from Blog by Shantina Smiley on 05 May 2008

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=243140172&page=2

Joke Survey Q & A - from Blog by T W on 04 December 2006

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=114631164

Note: Her DOB (as per her blog details) is 06 May 1980 - she will be 30 this year.

Most people with her history would put "I don't drink"....from my experience.

our Favorite....
Place to be: Home with family
Place to visit: Mexico
Place to chill: Bedroom
Non-Alcoholic drink: Pepsi Maxx
Alcoholic drink: Vodka Cranberry

Or maybe to get Az out above the water level since the trunk is higher.

Based on how the van was parked on the beach when it was found the next morning, with the rear of the van facing the water, the rear of the van would have been lower than the front.

Exiting the van through the hatch would've put them directly in the deeper part of the water. IMO, it would have made more sense to exit from the side - through the sliding door, especially since any water pressure would not have prevented the sliding door from opening, and they could have also hung onto the van as they made it to shore.

Lack of defensive wounds would be one sign that it was accidental.

You are not going to drown somebody without there being signs of a major struggle. Drowning victims have taken people who were trying to rescue under with them in the sheer panic of it all.

Knowing nothing at all, I would think that if he was inside the van when the tide came through the van, he would have been tossed about rather roughly before he went out a door. Therefore, he would have been full of massive bruising, that is if he was alive and in the van when the tide came in.

I understand that people don't bruise once they are deceased. I could be wrong.

moo

The more I think about RS's comments regarding her "relapse" the more I wonder if he might have been referring not to drinking, but to "drinking & driving" (since she has that deferred DUI), or binge drinking. He doesn't seem to consider having a beer with pizza as drinking, or wine-tasting as drinking (although when a person is "wine-tasting" the wine isn't usually swallowed, it's spit into a little cup).

Those are really good points. I hadn't thought about the timelines that way. But that is so true. She was doing something else. She didn't even go to buy the wine until 9pm. Unless she had other alcohol with her?

I definitely think she went down to the beach earlier. Perhaps calling RS before a rendezvous with someone? (kind of a guilty call?)

If she is alive (where is the purse and overnight bag) then I think she is with someone she knows.

I did a search and I found the closest store and gas to be Gull Harbor Merchantile - which is 3.7 miles away from where they found the van. She could have walked up and used the phone.

Just a thought...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=8345+Zangle+Rd+NE,+Olympia,+WA+98506&daddr=Gull+Harbor+Mercantile,+4932+Boston+Harbor+Road+Northeast,+Olympia,+WA+98506-1899&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=47.10412,-122.882595&sspn=0.006353,0.016973&ie=UTF8&ll=47.126447,-122.88208&spn=0.053726,0.135784&t=h&z=13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foothillbilly