WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm wondering. Also, JS is the one in the video who has this weird smile on his face and has to use his hand over his mouth to suppress a laugh. Very strange reaction to the situation. I watched this on a youtube video interview. I'll go back and see how it's titled for the record. I am stubborn about learning to post links.

ETA: " New Clues Wash Ashore- Dennis Williams"

JS in red hoody interview

Jay was in New York & flew in after they went missing.

She was going to meet w/ her stepfather

I am guessing mother and son either walked away from the van or were driven away by someone. The foot prints and or tire tracks were washed away. The mother could be, alive, with someone, now, and is either kidnapped or in hiding.

Going on the theory of meeting someone...

An interesting note--one of her myspace friends also attended Olympic College.
like to spend as much time as I can camping, riding quads, hiking, rock climbing, skydiving, kayaking, skiing, and watersports. I am doing my best to get my endurance level back to where it used to be and do some 1/2 marathons to see if I still got it.

This one has a boat...

Well, I am assuming that 1. They were not dressed warmly because they originally were to be sleeping at the Step-dad's home. This buying wine, and wasting time, and going to park somewhere private to sleep and to avoid police and another DUI arrest, were all last minute things, due to her having a stress attack about the visit , and wanting to back out in the 11th hour. In my opinion, that is what likely happened. 2. They went to sleep with the hatch and doors CLOSED (and no ignition or heat on due to a. not wanting to waste gas b. not wanting a DUI if cops showed up (you get one if engine is on, I have heard, even if you are not "driving") --then, when they were awakened by van shifting and rocking, they opened all in a panic, trying to figure out what was happening , what to do, how to leave. Does this make sense?

The only thing I'm trying to say is that since is was cold, and late, and they obviously weren't going to make to stepdad's house, wouldn't they have used the clothes in the overnight bag for the purpose of staying warm? Cuddle up together, get some sleep, and start fresh in the morning?

Ok, I can wish that was the case, though the evidence doesn't lead in that direction, b/c Az was found with the tshirt he was seen in hours earlier, and his coat is even missing.

btw, glasses. They were both wearing glasses. Has anyone said anything about finding either of their glasses anywhere? tia

The shape of the Sound affects the tide as it moves through channels and inlets. In the Straight of Juan De Fuca, a 7.2 foot tide at Cape Flattery will reach Port Townsend 3 hours and forty minutes later and increase in magnitude to 7.9 feet. The tide will reach south Puget Sound 1 hour later and increase to 13.5 feet by the time the tide reaches Olympia. Extreme high tides of 18 feet have been recorded in Olympia.

Some tidal information.

Would love to hear Soulscape or Tuba's forensic astrology opinion on this case ...

I think I have found Shantina's birth date and place of birth at http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/r/o/Don-Brown-WA/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-1221.html.

Shantina Kanally - Born on May 6th, 1980 in Portland, Oregon - Married JS in 1998 in Kelso, Washington.

Her mother (TW) is shown to have passed away November 25,2005 in Longview, WA - http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/r/o/Don-Brown-WA/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0503.html

Is there an actual time for when Shantina was last seen?

Entirely possible to be somewhere in Henderson Inlet, I would think.

I came across a couple posts on the #1 Thread where she had two phone calls at around 4:15 with RS. On the video posted a couple pages back he says HE left out ahead of her. I didn't realize this and seems odd in itself. He starts with the 6:45 conversations and he is already in Castle Rock. The 4:15 conversations was him asking her to bring his phone charger. So her leaving the cell phone does not seem an accidental oversight.

Everything points to her not wanting him to come on the trip and him coming down there anyway. Presumably in her car and she in his van. Why would he leave out ahead of her to arrive at a step parent he had not met and she had not seen so we hear in 4 years. I think he knew she was leaving him. Not that he had anything to do with her disappearance. Just that she may have been seeing and planning this with someone else.
And RS was kind of forcing her hand. The MS page last showed messages back in Nov. So I would speculate she met someone or started seeing them again about 4 months ago.

BBM

Considering all his statements (and SS's actions), that is the only scenario that truly fits.

But you have to remember: Groggy, cold, disoriented, sleepy, intoxicated, numb, wearing clothes, in the cold water, ferocious current, caught unaware, no time to think, unable to scream as Lt. Mealy said "it would take your breath away".
I can only imagine. I've been on the coast of Oregon in the summer and the water was frigid.

bbm

I wonder how she was keeping Azriel warm? Did she start the van, occasionally, then take the keys out.?

That model has keyless entry, does it also come with keyless ignition?

ETA: just to clarify... my car has this; as long as the keys are in the front compartment, the car will start. I've owned the car for almost 3 years now and have never put the keys in the ignition. They stay in my purse, pocket, or in the center console.

Would love to hear Soulscape or Tuba's forensic astrology opinion on this case ...

I think I have found Shantina's birth date and place of birth at http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/r/o/Don-Brown-WA/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-1221.html.

Shantina Kanally - Born on May 6th, 1980 in Portland, Oregon - Married JS in 1998 in Kelso, Washington.

Her mother (TW) is shown to have passed away November 25,2005 in Longview, WA - http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/b/r/o/Don-Brown-WA/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0503.html

Is there an actual time for when Shantina was last seen?

Soulscape did post on this case, it is in the Case Briefing thread. Her prediction was death by drowning (accidental). Sadly, she was correct again.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79041&page=16

dated 3/17 post #398

Makes very good sense! The doors being all opened has had me puzzled.

As to the keys on the dash, will that get you out of a DUI in WA? Here in FL if you are parked and the keys are anywhere in the car where the driver can access them LE can still charge you with a DUI if you are legally intoxicated.
Wow, did not know that, but that is quite unfair. A driver who is doing the responsible thing by sleeping in the car rather than driving drunk would still be charged. That is not fair. And would target whoever cannot afford a hotel for the night, etc. Very bad. But thanks for the info.

Also My thoughts and was questioning same thing because here in TN the law is quite similar to what u stated was for FL. If keys are anywhere the driver can access them then can be charged DUI. The driver does not even have to be in the vehicle, as I had a friend that was sitting on the back end of his truck with tailgate down. Truck not running, keys out of ignition and was in his personal parking spot of his apartment building after having had 5-6 beers at a neighbor's apartment. And he was slapped with DUI and arrested on the spot. So I know if she were in TN the "keys on dash" would NOT have saved her from a DUI. Whatever WA's laws for DUI are, you would think SS would know them for sure?!! Any WA residents know how the DUI laws work in that state?
Again, thanks for info, but this is an outrage. I am appalled at what happened to your neighbor. This is NOT "drunk driving": It is a moral and legal outrage.

Right you are. You can sleep or whatever on the beach without driving almost to the waters edge! Backing down. Seems like an intoxicated person would not think to back down there as most people who go to the waterfront park face out to enjoy to view and watch the water. Only if you were keeping watch in the other direction would you face an unattractive road bed.

Your observations make total sense. I had not even thought it through in that way but now that you have verbalized it, it has the total ring of truth. I truly hope that this hasn't been a case of another mother intentionally harming her child but the more evidence that comes out, the more this one is starting to smell like premeditation. I pray it is not so.

This phenomenon of mothers killing their children, it feels like an epidemic. Perhaps its just that we live in a technology based world where news travels across the globe in an instant, but it seems as if suddenly mothers all over are committing unthinkable acts.

With all the coverage the CA case and others like are receiving this past year, I had to explain to my 9 yr old daughter that sometimes parents do horrible things. This idea was as foreign to her as it is to me.

Soulscape did post on this case, it is in the Case Briefing thread. Her prediction was death by drowning (accidental). Sadly, she was correct again.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79041&page=16

dated 3/17 post #398
Thanks for that link. I just read it. When put this way, it makes it seem like it was fate, inevitable, like there was no stopping it. The boy had not even been found, yet the astrologer knew they had both drowned. Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? If this was "meant to be", then why?

If the doors on the van open remotely, are they opened with a remote that is carried on a key chain or from inside the van. I know some of the newer models come with the key chain remote. Could it possibly be that water might have shortened out the wiring causing those doors to come open?

My other thought is in looking at the picture of the van's windshield I see where the sand is up on it but it also looks as if someone turned on the wipers after the sand got on there. Wouldn't the tide have washed it off?

That's what I think, too. She turned on the wipers after the up and back semi-circles and then spinning the front tires. Yet the whole windshield seems preserved above the waterline.

Is the small black box in the photo the GPS sat. receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor