WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't had a chance to read thru the entire thread yet.... I apologize for that. I was looking at the photos with the key, lighter, and such. I'm not sure if anyone figured out the "cylinder" yet but did anyone else see it says "juice" on the side?? Kind of tone on tone. There is a fragrance called "juice" could this be a purse size spray??

When I was in the grocery store yesterday, I checked out the Carlo Rossi wine. The 1.5 liter of Rhine wine is 9% alcohol. The Chablis is 9.5 %.

1.5 liters is equivalent to 2 750 ml. bottles, right?

If she drank half the jug, that's about 750 ml. I think. But 9% alcohol is pretty weak - not much stronger than beer.

I know this has been discussed ad infinitum. Just wanted to add my :twocents: about the wine.

Oh that's good info. I had linked to a couple sites with calculators for blood alcohol level. They were based on the wine being, I think, 12%. So the chart portion I copied in for the BAC effects showed stronger effects than she would have had.

Thank you!

Is this what you were referring to, from the link you gave? (I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to Facebook; sorry..)

"The Sheriff's will be running the boat along the coastlines this week. We had a storm blow through this week. Lets just keep hope, faith and prayers, that in any case she turns up alive.
Yesterday at 4:59pm"

If so, yes, I agree it is great they will be checking the waters out, and I hope they can find some answers.

Yes -- that is what I was referring too. I didn't want to quote him as I don't think we are allowed to quote from social media sites. We had some rough weather recently and another really strong storm rolling in tonight. I was just glad to see that they are finally going to search. :dance:

It's possible that the visit to the stepfather might have triggered the memory of her Mother's suicide.....and caused all the stress, the desire to drink. But I don't think she would have knocked on the door at 10 pm if she were planning that......It's all very perplexing.....I think it is possible that she was in some way bi-polar, but something is still not adding up.......I do see why you could think that, for sure, though...

I agree it is very possible the visit to her step father could have triggered the memory of her mothers suicide. Her Mom married JWB (step dad) in 1993; Shantina would have been 13 and her brother 10 yrs. old. He has since remarried. It is odd that he wasn't informed of Azriel's services. I wonder if Shantina was close to her Mom before her death? I wonder what circumstances led to her suicide. I wonder if Shantina blamed her step dad for her mothers death? I can't find any info on Shantina's birth father.

How does her mother's death coincide with the reports from CPS? Her mother died Nov 25, 2005. Az would have been 3 or 4 yrs old, right? Shantina would have been 25 yo. I would imagine that time would have been very difficult for Shantina. Is this when she started drinking?

But 9% alcohol is pretty weak - not much stronger than beer.

Beer tends to average around 4.5-5% alcohol content. So wine is twice as strong.

Also note that since Az was hungry, he probably hadn't eaten. She probably hadn't eaten either. That's going to impact how fast she would have gotten intoxicated.

Yes -- that is what I was referring too. I didn't want to quote him as I don't think we are allowed to quote from social media sites. We had some rough weather recently and another really strong storm rolling in tonight. I was just glad to see that they are finally going to search. :dance:

Oh! I didn't realize I shouldn't have. Should I delete it from this board (how do I do that, anyway?) Sorry!

Oh! I didn't realize I shouldn't have. Should I delete it from this board (how do I do that, anyway?) Sorry!

Haha -- I don't know. I am new here. I just thought I read somewhere that we can't. I guess if someone says something, you can delete it otherwise, I wouldn't worry. :)

Just hit the Edit button in the lower right corner of your post to edit.

We can paraphrase from social sites, and then provide a link so people can read the whole thing if they wish.

Thanks!
BeanE

Thank you for explaining that to me, BeanE!
I have removed the quote.

No, someone having a problem with alcohol or drugs does not make them less worth saving, ...

BBM -Thank you. I only asked that question because I felt a change in the tone of the posts here after alcoholism was mentioned.

...The thing that bothers me is that she 'took' Azriel with her... snipped by me ... Shantina's decisions not only ended her own life, she stole Azriel's life as well. Same as a drunk driver killing a child on a bike or an innocent on the highway.

IF it is PROVEN that Shantina was drunk or had been drinking, I will agree with you. So far, no proof, just comments from one or two people who may have their own agendas. Until/unless we have proof of these allegations, I will not condemn her.

Everyday that goes by makes me think that we'll never find out what really happened that night....

Robb Simmons The Memorial Service for Shantina will be held at the Brinnon Community Church on April 17th at 1pm
March 27 at 5:57pm · Report

IF it is that Shantina was drunk or had been drinking, I will agree with you. So far, no proof, just comments from one or two people who may have their own agendas. Until/unless we have proof of these allegations, I will not condemn her.

Hi Alaska, I love your avatar!

On top of witness statements that she was acting intoxicated and her nonsensical behavior/inability to feed her hungry child, we have video of SS buying a large jug of wine. This same jug of wine was later found half empty and corked washed up on the beach. IMO, that's pretty much proof she drinking - the only thing that will seal it is the toxicology results once her body washes up. If the jug of wine had been found on the beach empty and uncorked/with no cap, I MAY entertain the possibility that she never drank this wine and it somehow emptied into the ocean when it was swept from the van, but unless she opened the wine, poured half of it out, and re-corked it/put the cap back on (and the only reason she would do this would be to give the appearance of her having drank the wine, which would indicate more sinister motivations and a reason to condemn her anyway), then SOMEONE drank half that jug of wine, and I don't think it was Azriel.

Congratulations on your years of sobriety, by the way. I bow down to you.

I can only imagine the heartache he's experiencing right now. Like he said when they first went missing, "I'm missing half my family right now."

Has there been any more national or local television interviews with him lately?

Any news of searches over Olympia?

I find difficult to find updates on this case.

Is she registered in ANY national missing persons registry?

Anyone passing out missing person flyers?

As I said before, I cannot see how she's missing and nobody is actively searching for her.

I figure that if she is REALLY drowned as local authorities believe she is, that at least they would know where to look... in the water.

IMO

A question probably asked already, but here goes;

Would the dogs have gotten a scent if they got out of the van during low tide, and walk a long distance before exiting the area, thus when the water came in, it washed away any scent except at the exiting area, which they didn't find/

The stepdaughter gave the very clear impression that the dogs had a scent trail, but lost it. Is that fact?

Is there a link to LE stating there was never any scent found at all, or that they had a scent trail, but the dogs lost it? tia

Hope I can answer this for you (I'm your local WS doggie explainer).
Yes, the dogs would have gotten a scent even if they had gotten out at low tide and then hight tide came in. They would have been able to bridge the gap from the car to the trail with no problem. In fact they could have started anywhere in the beach area around the car and picked up the trail if there was one.

I have not read anything (other than her comment on twitter) to state that the dogs ever had a trail to start with. Being that this was a prime search area for a dog (favorable weather/terrain conditions), it was an area where they didn't frequent (which would mean a clean trail without a bunch of contamination) and it was a fresh trail this should have been a relatively simple trail to pick up if there was one. They used more than one dog and none picked up and took off. Even if Shantina had gotten in a car the dog should have been able to at least stay on it for awhile indicating that she had left the area. By the dogs findings or lack there of, they were telling their handlers that the two never made it out of the water.

Hope that helps.

<<Now that Azriel’s body has been found, the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office’s predominate theory — though not the only one — is that Smiley never got off the beach and wound up in the water, too. There were no sightings, and bloodhounds didn’t pick up scents away from the beach.

Based on how far out on the beach the van was found, it arrived there when the tide was at its lowest point, Mealy said. The water rose and washed them away. How that happened, nobody’s sure.

“The current is ferocious there,” Mealy said. “It’s not inconceivable at night, if one is disoriented or not thinking clearly, to wind up getting swept away by the water.”>>

http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/sheriff...e-20100315.pdf

I think this is pretty much what happened.....it was pretty dark out there. The only thing that gets me is the knock on the garage at the Grimmer's house @ 1:00am. I wish they would elaborate more on that.

Perhaps she was passed out or intoxicated and didn't have the motor skills to not get swept out with the current. Az could have opened the door to try and get out and then she went in shortly there after.

I too would like to hear more about the knock. We have no way of knowing that it was her. Why didn't they see who it was or call the police or did they?

Lipin

In our area when someone goes into the water, after an initial survival search (how many hours/days depends on how long they could survive in the water during the given conditions) they call off the helicopters and boats and then it's just a wait and hope they wash ashore thing. When they're dealing with currents and sometimes predators (sharks, orcas, gators depending on where you live), that can further complicate and slow down finding anything. We lost a person on the beach 2 weeks ago and they just washed up on shore yesterday. There are still 3 others missing one of which went in the water 3 plus months ago. Much like the open ocean there are a thousand miles of shoreline up there and it is impossible to comb them all. If she went in the water, then the body will be pretty decomposed, animals further take their toll on the remains and without physically walking the shore her remains will be easy to miss. You wouldn't be likely to see them from a boat unless you just got lucky.

Speaking of combing the shores....

For those of you that live up there. How many islands are there where that current runs? And how many of them are used for camping/picnicking/mooring once the weather warms up?

Just wondering if she will be more likely to be found once the summer vacation season starts.

I also wondered why Azriel's clothing wasn't described on the flier.

ETA: Just wanted to add that little Azriel's clothing WAS described in the flier, just not very accurately, IMO. His clothing was described as: "Last seen wearing a dark-colored top". He was last seen on the video surveillance.

http://www.co.thurston.wa.us/sheriff/hp-docs/press-releases/press-release-20100315.pdf

According to video surveillance, he was wearing a tee-shirt with what looked like some sort of emblem on the front, and he was wearing an orange colored coat. Not a "dark-colored top" that I could see.

Well, I didn't take that as a description especially considering Shantina's description was accurate. How did they know what she was wearing and not Azriel?

Well, I didn't take that as a description especially considering Shantina's description was accurate. How did they know what she was wearing and not Azriel?

Logical conclusion: They were trying to get the flyer out quickly. Someone who saw and knew what Shantina was wearing was available when the flyer was made. No one who saw and knew what Az was wearing was available when the flyer was made.

New Members please read...

WS is a victim friendly forum. That means we do not sleuth family or friends of a victim until LE or main stream media give us a reason too. We treat family and friends with respect and sensitivity.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member