WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The islands.

People live on those islands... Fox, Vashon, Hartstene, the San Juans, etc. All populated. The shorelines are populated because people like a view of the Sound.

There's one island in the main part of the sound which is a park, north of Vashon and pretty far from where Az's body was found. No idea on whether it was searched or not. There's also Squaxin which is part of a reservation, a bit closer but the currents wouldn't lead her body that way.

I found a YouTube that was very interesting in relation to this case.

It is of some kids playing on a little "island" during low tide on a beach somewhere in the Puget Sound. The video is only 1:31 long, but in that short time, their little island disappears. The caption says it came up 2 inches!

Just a good visual demonstration of how quickly the tide can sneak up on you over there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99-9mnCMahA

Was the cadmium poisoning something that RS thought he had? I thought he said he was bleeding from going to the bathroom...

This shows respiratory and kidney issues - doesn't make any mention to that type of symptom.

I believe he does digital photography vs film. But I'm not sure if you're talking about him :)

Clinical effects

Acute exposure to cadmium fumes may cause flu like symptoms including chills, fever, and muscle ache sometimes referred to as "the cadmium blues." Symptoms may resolve after a week if there is no respiratory damage. More severe exposures can cause tracheo-bronchitis, pneumonitis, and pulmonary edema. Symptoms of inflammation may start hours after the exposure and include cough, dryness and irritation of the nose and throat, headache, dizziness, weakness, fever, chills, and chest pain.
Inhaling cadmium-laden dust quickly leads to respiratory tract and kidney problems which can be fatal (often from renal failure). Ingestion of any significant amount of cadmium causes immediate poisoning and damage to the liver and the kidneys. Compounds containing cadmium are also carcinogenic.
The bones become soft (osteomalacia), lose bone mineral density (osteoporosis) and become weaker. This causes the pain in the joints and the back, and also increases the risk of fractures. In extreme cases of cadmium poisoning, mere body weight causes a fracture.
The kidneys lose their function to remove acids from the blood in proximal renal tubular dysfunction. The kidney damage inflicted by cadmium poisoning is irreversible and does not heal over time. The proximal renal tubular dysfunction creates low phosphate levels in the blood (hypophosphatemia), causing muscle weakness and sometimes coma. The dysfunction also causes gout, a form of arthritis due to the accumulation of uric acid crystals in the joints because of high acidity of the blood (hyperuricemia). Another side effect is increased levels of chloride in the blood (hyperchloremia). The kidneys can also shrink up to 30%.
Other patients lose their sense of smell (anosmia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning

I believe he does digital photography vs film. But I'm not sure if you're talking about him :)

He probably wasn't using digital cameras in 1998 when he was diagnosed with the disease. Not for wedding shots, anyway.

He probably wasn't using digital cameras in 1998 when he was diagnosed with the disease. Not for wedding shots, anyway.

Ah! True :)

Well hopefully he's healed after that long. The only thing I ever heard him say was the bleeding part - which could be a stomach ulcer, a hem____(sorry) (I actually had a bf who had that problem one time...lost so much blood that he had to have a transfusion..no joke. He ended up with blue lips and in the hospital...

Personally if I were RS - I would have gone to the ER immediately instead of worrying about it. That's just me though...

We're having a major storm here right now. Some areas winds are up to 70mph near Fox Island/Olympia/Tacoma. Maybe it will bring her to the shore.

That sounds so eerie to me, but poetic at the same time. I can't place it, and google isn't helping me, but there's a line in a poem similar to that. Something about a storm forcing the sea to surrender its dead.

If she did die with Azriel, I hope that the water does surrender her so her family can find peace.

???

That is strange. The interviews/articles with his father indicated JC brought Azriel's ashes home with him; nothing I saw to indicate he didn't have all of them. Has anyone ever heard of splitting the ashes amongst family members? I suppose they can do that, just seems weird to me.

Calliope - I know it sounds strange to split ashes (I would have never guessed people did that until my father passed away.)

He was cremated and I knew nothing about this. So I spoke with people, can't remember what the name of the organization was, but they deal with this sort of thing and said it's done all the time now with people living in different parts of the country and of the world.

Was the cadmium poisoning something that RS thought he had? I thought he said he was bleeding from going to the bathroom...

This shows respiratory and kidney issues - doesn't make any mention to that type of symptom.

Clinical effects

Acute exposure to cadmium fumes may cause flu like symptoms including chills, fever, and muscle ache sometimes referred to as "the cadmium blues." Symptoms may resolve after a week if there is no respiratory damage. More severe exposures can cause tracheo-bronchitis, pneumonitis, and pulmonary edema. Symptoms of inflammation may start hours after the exposure and include cough, dryness and irritation of the nose and throat, headache, dizziness, weakness, fever, chills, and chest pain.
Inhaling cadmium-laden dust quickly leads to respiratory tract and kidney problems which can be fatal (often from renal failure). Ingestion of any significant amount of cadmium causes immediate poisoning and damage to the liver and the kidneys. Compounds containing cadmium are also carcinogenic.
The bones become soft (osteomalacia), lose bone mineral density (osteoporosis) and become weaker. This causes the pain in the joints and the back, and also increases the risk of fractures. In extreme cases of cadmium poisoning, mere body weight causes a fracture.
The kidneys lose their function to remove acids from the blood in proximal renal tubular dysfunction. The kidney damage inflicted by cadmium poisoning is irreversible and does not heal over time. The proximal renal tubular dysfunction creates low phosphate levels in the blood (hypophosphatemia), causing muscle weakness and sometimes coma. The dysfunction also causes gout, a form of arthritis due to the accumulation of uric acid crystals in the joints because of high acidity of the blood (hyperuricemia). Another side effect is increased levels of chloride in the blood (hyperchloremia). The kidneys can also shrink up to 30%.
Other patients lose their sense of smell (anosmia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_poisoning

BBM
*!!!* I have all of those symptoms. *taking my pulse*

What is happening on fb elf69? I can't see it, I don't have fb.

What is happening on fb elf69? I can't see it, I don't have fb.

the above post are screen snap shops of SS facebook convo with CK. You can sign up for facebook and then never use it again to access the link, as we are not able to quote directly from social media sites.

And, One more thing the next day at 5:36 p.m. (remember the van has already been spotted by this point) she posts about someone else losing their mother. She doesn't post anything until the 16th at 7:43 p.m. regarding her "daughter and grandson." Just find it odd especially after seeing the comment made on another site that she needs to tell what she knows before it is too late. I just think there is a piece of the puzzle missing. Hopefully, I am not out of line in what I just posted -- If so, I apologize and will delete immediately.

the above post are screen snap shops of SS facebook convo with CK. You can sign up for facebook and then never use it again to access the link, as we are not able to quote directly from social media sites.

I know, If LE names them we can paraphrase with a link. I thought you were talking about RS. She is an innocent party, so I do not think you can link to her fb.

I know, If LE names them we can paraphrase with a link. I thought you were talking about RS.
No not RS. I am just so unsure about what is ok to say and not ok as I am new. :)

No not RS. I am just so unsure about what is ok to say and not ok as I am new. :)

She is an innocent party so I would say no you can't link or quote from her fb. moo

In this link:
http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...ear-old-son-fiance-believes-could-be-sinister

On the 'Sunday:10:30 a.m' timeline it says, “The back hatch and the side door was open,” Pribbenow said. “The front end had gone in the mud and you could see where the wheels had spun in trying to back out.” (the van was back end in the bay).

First it says the van was trying to 'back out', then in parenthesis it says, "(the van was back end in the bay).

Maybe it's just wrong wording, or I'm just not getting it.
The front end was in the water, correct?

At first I thought the writer added the words in ( ), but pics made it clear that it was indeed back end in the bay, so Mr. P's statement doesn't make sense. However, people don't always phrase their thoughts correctly.

One thing is sure, and that is that sand had been thrown on the van in an attempt to "back out" at sometime, and the wipers cleaned their area, so either the tide water didn't reach that part of the van, the tide water wasn't forceful enough to clean the van, or the sand storm on the van was dry enough to withstand the tide water.

ETA; I just read where another poster suggested she may have followed another vehicle down that path.
I thought that made perfect sense, b/c she appeared to be in just the right frame of mind to follow someone who would lead her to the freeway, or a preplanned visit to the beach. However, surely someone would know if she was seeing someone else.

I suspect LE may have some good knowledge of what happened that night.

I'm becoming convinced that she met with foul play.

Yes, I do suspect who I suspected in the very beginning. moo

jmo though

I keep checking back hoping for an update on SS. I tend to agree with the Occam's razor theory, in that the simplest solution is usually the correct one. (note the word usually here). I think she got lost. Got disoriented due to drinking and/or a combo of possible head trauma. It was late, she accidentally drove her car into the river. Perhaps she tried to get out of the car and was still disoriented and her son tried to help her and they both got swept away by the current.

I would like to know if in this particular place in the river, how strong is the current?

I noticed her fiance took down his site as well. Poor guy, I am praying for him too.

It's difficult to accept this theory b/c the road/path was so narrow, with no guard rails, and if she were in that condition she most likely would have ended up nose first off the edge.

There is a seperation on the beach from smooth sand to crunchy rocks, shells or whatever.

Imo, whoever drove that van to where it stopped, opened the back hatch and side door, did so with the intention of hoping the van would be swept underwater in the tide, but didn't go far enough in to succeed. moo

If SS was drunk, then imo, she wasn't the one who drove that van down that path. If she wasn't drunk, then it appears to me as a murder/suicide., unless as someone suggested, she was following another auto, which just makes way more sense.
None of her behavior is simple that night though, and not only hers, but RS as well. jmo
moo

ETA: if the van was set in neutral, rather than park, with no emergency brake set, that would reinforce the notion that the purpose of stopping there was for the sound to swallow up the van.

Does anyone know if LE has said anything about whether it was parked in neutral? tia

Disappeared without a trace: Shantina Smiley still missing, fiancé talks about misconceptions

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Sea...ill-missing-fiance-talks-about-misconceptions

"My parents gave us the van for trips and Shantina was very appreciative and careful with the van. If she wanted to smoke a cigarette, she'd get out of the van. She would never put Azriel in danger like that. It's just not her," he said.

I thought she "borrowed" the van.

Examiner.com received an email from Sherry Hill, Communications Director at Children's Administration Tuesday morning indicating Shantina voluntarily gave Azriel to her grandparents while she sought treatment for her alcohol problem. The incident occurred August 2007and by that fall she had full custody of him again. By that time they were both living with her grandparents.

"I don't believe that past performance dictates who a person is today or who they'll be in the future, provided that they are given the opportunity to be successful. She was offered many opportunities, in our two and a half years together, and she was successful at what she did on her own merits," he said

I'm not very good at math, but, March 2010-March 2009-March 2008= 2 years, then 6 months before that= October 2007, correct?

Did they meet in rehab?

Does it matter?

moo

I see "gave us the van for trips" to mean just that, that they were given the van to use for trips, not that they were given the van. Just a different wording for borrowing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lizz28