Identified! WA - Snohomish Co., WhtFem 516UFWA, 15-22, hitchhiker, Aug 1977 - Lisa Roberts

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
OT: I was thinking along those lines, too, CarlK, that Pem may not be this JD but perhaps another one. I was thinking along the lines of BG myself.

Yeah, BG is the one who came to mind for me, too.

What about Sherry Pickle? She's not on the excluded list. She went missing in 1972 so it's a couple years earlier, but she was a hitchhiker so maybe she headed north and bounced around Seattle for a few years? Probably not but I think it's worth checking on anyway

Bumping
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/516ufwa.html
Date of Discovery: August 14, 1977
Estimated Date of Death: 5 days prior
Location of Discovery: Everett, Snohomish County, Washington
Height: 5'10", Measured
attachment.php
attachment.php
cache.php
cache.php
cache.php

Attachments

• 516UFWA1_LARGE.jpg
    516UFWA1_LARGE.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 388
  • 516UFWA2_LARGE.jpg
    516UFWA2_LARGE.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 636
Colleen Fitzpatrick was planning to take on this case last year, but I haven’t heard anything else. I’m going to post on DNA Doe Project’s FB and ask for an update. I’ll report back what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colleen Fitzpatrick was planning to take on this case last year, but I haven’t heard anything else. I’m going to post on DNA Doe Project’s FB and ask for an update. I’ll report back what they say.

They replied already:

“We were going to do that case. But the extraction failed to yield usable DNA, unfortunately. We've recommended they try again. Perhaps we could persuade them if we raised the funds. The issue was that the bones had been boiled by the coroner's office, as was common at the time.”

I replied to this to say I’m sure they’d be able to raise the funds for her quickly and that I’d help spread the word if they decide to move forward.

Fingers crossed.

They replied already:

“We were going to do that case. But the extraction failed to yield usable DNA, unfortunately. We've recommended they try again. Perhaps we could persuade them if we raised the funds. The issue was that the bones had been boiled by the coroner's office, as was common at the time.”

I replied to this to say I’m sure they’d be able to raise the funds for her quickly and that I’d help spread the word if they decide to move forward.

Fingers crossed.

The DDP and their counterparts worked miracles with BG's blood sample found in a vial stored at room temperature over 30 years. I have faith they can do it again on this case.

I was thinking about the what David Roth has told the Police and I don't think that it is her denying his sexual advances that caused him to strangle and shoot her. I mean he was a 20 year guy. I am pretty sure that a lot more girls rejected him than just her. Believe me, I was 20 once ;-) If that was the case he probably would have killed someone long before then.

There must be something else that triggered him off. I have heard that he said he now thinks that it was because she told him that the two guys she was living with would hurt him. But he choked her first, it would seem like he would shoot her first if he was acting out of fear.

Also, I think she was staying somewhere in Everett, because she didn't have any change of clothes, money. I am wondering if she was vacationing there with the two guys. She probably was hitchhiking to find someone with some booze. She probably didn't know anyone in the area so, she was bored and that would make sense.

It could be possible that the two men that she lived with were involved in some illegal activities like selling drug and didn't report her missing because they didn't want any police attention.

I might check to see if there was anything going on in Everett or Seattle around that time she might have been going to.

Something of note has been bothering me. If they originally thought that she was a male, then changed it to female, her genitals must have been decomposed, so how can they say one way or the other if she had been sexually assaulted?

Looks like DDP is still trying to work on her case.

Here's an excerpt from a post on May 20th:

DNA Doe Project

We have two in the pipeline – Sheep Flat Jane Doe, and Butler County Jane Doe. We have two others from Snohomish Co, WA which we took on months ago, but the DNA was too degraded to work with. However, our bioinformatics wizard has recently created new files for these two Does, and we’re seeing what if any leads we can ferret out and pass on to the agency. We’ll post about them when we have more to report.

Last edited:
And Margaret made this comment one week ago on the post I just quoted about this Jane Doe:

"Testing companies look at about 400,000-600,000 SNPs (loci in the genome). The two we're struggling with had less than one percent of these. The first set of files were too small even to be accepted by GEDmatch. We now have files we can upload, but no meaningful matches yet. The agency may try to get additional DNA extracted from remaining bone. We're waiting to see."

*bump!*

I haven't heard any updates yet, nor can I find her in any of DDP's media anymore :(

Edit: I've read through the DDP's Facebook thread, and I'm not even sure if they're even referring to this particular Jane Doe!

It is this Jane Doe. There was a great article about her and DDP: https://www.heraldnet.com/news/genealogy-buffs-could-help-identify-woman-killed-in-1977/

I think in the last few weeks Margaret said they were trying to get useful DNA from her hair.

I think in the last few weeks Margaret said they were trying to get useful DNA from her hair.

It would be excellent if they can. It gives hope for all of these cases where the bones were boiled.

As an aside, I wonder if the heads were boiled because if not it should be possible to obtain DNA from the teeth. That said, does boiling the teeth destroy DNA in the way it does in the bones?

It would be excellent if they can. It gives hope for all of these cases where the bones were boiled.

As an aside, I wonder if the heads were boiled because if not it should be possible to obtain DNA from the teeth. That said, does boiling the teeth destroy DNA in the way it does in the bones?
rbbm.
http://archlab.uindy.edu/documents/CleaningBones.pdf
... "Recent research has suggested that boiling may actually increase the eventualDNA yield, and so retroactive sampling after cleaning has already occurred is feasible."

I think she is Yvonne Regler. Yvonne disappeared a day prior to JD's estimated date of death. Similar physical characteristics.

Attachments

• Yvonne_Regler.png
    Yvonne_Regler.png
    157.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Snonomish_2016_CarlK.jpg
    Snonomish_2016_CarlK.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 5

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors