Identified! WA - Spokane, WhtFem 16-30, UP489, AKA "Millie", skull found in '98, Jun'84 - Ruth Belle Waymire

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Found on the south bank of the Spokane River, .08 mile west of the T.J. Meenach Bridge.

Adult Caucasian female. The estimated height for this female had been 5 feet 3 inches to 5 feet 7 inches. The hair color was possibly blonde. This woman had been dismembered. The womans skull was later found on 4-19-1998 at a vacant lot located at 7th Avenue and Sherman Street in Spokane. Dental identification information was obtained at that time, no match found. A DNA profile was done, no known match. There is a possibility that this woman may have given birth to children. This woman had a 1 1/2 inch oval horizontal scar on her left knee cap, a faint 1/4 inch scar on her right knee cap, a scar of her left arm that measured 3 1/2 inches in length. There were 2 prominent moles noted on the front of her neck.
1656280657176.jpeg

@Caring1 could you post the list of NamUs exclusions for this Jane Doe? I would appreciate :)
There has been one more rule out listed since post #226. New exclusion and previous list provided below:

Case Photo

Missing Person / NamUs # MP8173Christine Eastin, Female, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactJanuary 18, 1971
StateCA
CountyAlameda

I recall it being well known in Spokane that Sprague Ave. was where prostitutes hung out. I wasn't really aware of it much until the news broke about the prostitute murders and the eventual arrest of Robert Yates the serial killer. It was a nice and pretty quiet town to grow up in, it has since had a rapidly growing crime rate. It is still a nice city, the downtown area is nice actually...but not very busy. There are certainly areas, like any city that are run down. I never felt a big AFB presence growing up there, nor do I now when I visit. It is close to Fairchild AFB, but it never had a military town feel at all. Still digging for more info, but coming up short.
Bringing this forward from 2013.

I was talking with my dad over the phone and he brought up Robert Yates, who was known to kill prostitutes in Spokane, the Spokane area, and at least one in Skagit County as well, throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s. I have to wonder if there's a connection there. JMO and just a thought.

"Women's dismembered body discovered in river," Spokane Chronicle, 21 June 1984, 1.
Women's dismembered body discovered in river_.jpg
Two fishermen spotted the nude body floating near the west side of the river below the Spokane Falls Community College campus about 3:30 p.m. A Fire Department boat crew recovered the body about 20 feet from shore.

"Autopsy set on body found in river," Spokesman-Review, 22 June 1984, 14.
Autopsy set on body found in river_.jpg
Amend, who examined the remains Thursday, said the woman apparently died when her throat was cut.

Amend said he could not say exactly what type of weapon was used to remove the woman's body parts. He said bones had broken at an angle.

[...]

Amend said it is difficult to tell how long the body was in the river because the cold water slows decomposition.

"Knife wounds ruled cause of death," Spokane Chronicle, 23 June 1984, 3.
Knife wounds ruled cause of death_.jpg
Amend said the dismembered body of a woman found in the Spokane River near Spokane Falls Community College showed signs of being sexually molested. He said there was a bruise in the vaginal area and a tear on the rectum.

The missing body parts have not been found. Amend said a blunt instrument apparently was used, based on the way body tissue was severed and bones were broken.

Police said they still have no clue to her identity.

The woman probably was dead one or two days before her body was found by two fishermen, Amend said.

"Severed hand yields prints," Spokane Chronicle, 9 October 1984, A13.
Severed hand yields prints_.jpg
Four partial fingerprints have been recorded through examination of a severed hand believed to be from a mutilated body found in June, police said Monday.

[...]

On July 18, a dog dragged the hand into a yard near Indian Canyon Golf Course. It was sent to the FBI for analysis, resulting in the fingerprints and a palm print.

Detective Lt. Gene McGougan said county fingerprint experts have compared the prints to about 10,000 fingerprint cards on file in the county.

McGougan said the hand had been chewed by the body, making it impossible to determine whether it came from the murder victim's body. The hand probably did not come from another body because police have received no other reports of severed hands within the same time period, he said.

Adam Lynn, "Experts excavate skull site," Spokesman-Review, 21 April 1998, B1, B2.
[part 1] [part 2]
Experts excavate skull site,_ pt. 1.jpg
Experts excavate skull site,_ pt. 2.jpg
There used to be a church on the lot, and detectives are trying to find out if it operated a cemetery. The former Sharon Temple Christian Methodist Episcopal Church was razed in 1989 after standing vacant for several years.

The case could be handed to Spokane's serial killer task force if the body turns out to be that of a murdered woman, Cottam said. The task force is investigating the murders of more than 20 women since 1984, at least seven of whom were killed by the same person.

Neighbors said children sometimes play on the property, which is dotted with old tires, piles of rotting lumber and litter. A tree house and a swing occupy a large tree on the north side of the lot, which is surrounded by homes.

The area where the skull was found was covered with heavy brush until a crew of volunteers cleared it last fall, said Jim Walkup, who lives across the street.

"Up until then, that area back there was pretty secluded," Walkup said.

"Skull found in lot," Spokesman-Review, 21 April 1998, B3.
Skull found in lot_.jpg
Spokane detectives and evidence experts are excavating part of a vacant lot where a human skull was discovered Sunday.

A woman walking her dog found the skull near the northwest corner of Seventh and Sherman about 7 p.m. It was lying among some debris at the base of an embankment.

[...]

Detectives found other bones near the skull but don't know if they all were part of the same body, police spokesman Dick Cottam said.

Carlos Acevedo, "Police release sketch of 1984 murder victim," Spokesman-Review, 10 March 2000, B2.
Police release sketch of 1984 murder victim_.jpg

Four partial fingerprints have been recorded through examination of a severed hand believed to be from a mutilated body found in June, police said Monday.

[...]

On July 18, a dog dragged the hand into a yard near Indian Canyon Golf Course. It was sent to the FBI for analysis, resulting in the fingerprints and a palm print.

Detective Lt. Gene McGougan said county fingerprint experts have compared the prints to about 10,000 fingerprint cards on file in the county.

McGougan said the hand had been chewed by the body, making it impossible to determine whether it came from the murder victim's body. The hand probably did not come from another body because police have received no other reports of severed hands within the same time period, he said.

That hand was ruled out belonging to Millie, and has a WS thread of its own:

On February 17th, 2023, the identity of Millie was revealed as Ruth Belle Waymire, born in 1960, when Othram confirmed the sibling relationship using KinSNP familial reference testing. Ruth was a local graduate of Rogers High School (picture from sophomore year) and spent some time in Wenatchee as well as Spokane. At a young age, her parents divorced and Ruth, her mother, and sister moved in with a local family in Spokane. Shortly after, her mother died. The two girls went their separate ways and did not stay in contact. Ruth was never reported missing and was described to have a vagabond lifestyle. At the time of her death, Ruth would have been 24 years old and was noted to have been married. The autopsy revealed she likely had a child born a year or two before her death.

Despite SPD’s ongoing investigation Ruth’s killer has not been definitively identified. Her husband at the time of her death was Trampas D.L. Vaughn born in 1945. Vaughn was born in Iowa and served time in prison there before coming to the Pacific Northwest. He and Ruth were married in Wenatchee Washington. No record of a divorce between the two has been located. The identity of Ruth’s child or children remains unknown as well. Vaughn died in Sutter County California in 2017. Police have not ruled him out as a suspect and no other suspects have been identified, including Ruth’s first husband who currently lives in Spokane and is cooperating with the investigation.

Spokane Police and Investigators with the Medical Examiner’s Office are hopeful that those who knew Ruth, her husbands, and/or perhaps a child/children born to Ruth will contact police through CRIME CHECK 509-456-2233 and help bring closure to the tragic death of a young woman dubbed Millie, until now. Rest in Peace Ruth Belle, she would have been 65 next month.

On February 17th, 2023, the identity of Millie was revealed as Ruth Belle Waymire, born in 1960, when Othram confirmed the sibling relationship using KinSNP familial reference testing. Ruth was a local graduate of Rogers High School (picture from sophomore year) and spent some time in Wenatchee as well as Spokane. At a young age, her parents divorced and Ruth, her mother, and sister moved in with a local family in Spokane. Shortly after, her mother died. The two girls went their separate ways and did not stay in contact. Ruth was never reported missing and was described to have a vagabond lifestyle. At the time of her death, Ruth would have been 24 years old and was noted to have been married. The autopsy revealed she likely had a child born a year or two before her death.

Despite SPD’s ongoing investigation Ruth’s killer has not been definitively identified. Her husband at the time of her death was Trampas D.L. Vaughn born in 1945. Vaughn was born in Iowa and served time in prison there before coming to the Pacific Northwest. He and Ruth were married in Wenatchee Washington. No record of a divorce between the two has been located. The identity of Ruth’s child or children remains unknown as well. Vaughn died in Sutter County California in 2017. Police have not ruled him out as a suspect and no other suspects have been identified, including Ruth’s first husband who currently lives in Spokane and is cooperating with the investigation.

Spokane Police and Investigators with the Medical Examiner’s Office are hopeful that those who knew Ruth, her husbands, and/or perhaps a child/children born to Ruth will contact police through CRIME CHECK 509-456-2233 and help bring closure to the tragic death of a young woman dubbed Millie, until now. Rest in Peace Ruth Belle, she would have been 65 next month.
How sad and tragic that Ruth lost her parents and home at such a vulnerable age.

Ruth seems to have lived her whole life in Washington. I found a marriage record from circa. Sep 1979 and that another one in circa. June 1981. Note that Ruth had filed for divorce from the 1979 man. I won't say the 1979 mans name as I respect his privacy and he was long gone when Ruth was murdered. The 1981 man was who we see in Othram's post. I, like Othram and LE, found no evidence of a divorce records from the 1981 man. I would have thought he would report her missing but who knows, the record may have been lost, or there's the more sinister outcome.

All of this info is sourced from Ancestry records.

Ruth seems to have lived her whole life in Washington. I found a marriage record from circa. Sep 1979 and that another one in circa. June 1981. Note that Ruth had filed for divorce from the 1979 man. I won't say the 1979 mans name as I respect his privacy and he was long gone when Ruth was murdered. The 1981 man was who we see in Othram's post. I, like Othram and LE, found no evidence of a divorce records from the 1981 man. I would have thought he would report her missing but who knows, the record may have been lost, or there's the more sinister outcome.

All of this info is sourced from Ancestry records.
Or, they could have separated and lost contact. There are any number of degrees between reporting her missing and being responsible for her going missing, and it sounds like Ruth was somewhat of a free spirit, to put a more positive spin on 'vagabond'. Doesn't sound like the type to have stuck around if the relationship was getting stale or sour, anyway. I'll watch this case and see if there are future developments. One thing I'm most concerned about is tracking her child or children, if for no other reason than ensuring that they're not Baby Does also waiting for their names back. If they were raised safe and well by family or adopted family, that's great, if they died at birth or as babies through natural causes, that's sad, but they need to find them and account for them.

MOO

This case likely would not have been solved w/out genetic genealogy as she was never reported missing.

RIP Ruth, you have your name back
Same thing goes for almost every other case we see identified so far. Most reported MP's were identified as Doe's from the 2000s to the mid-to-late 2010s. Now all you see is unreported missing people or reported missing people not in NamUs. You sometimes see the odd Doe identified as a MP like Linda Lebeau or Brenda Black but not normally to my knowledge...

Same thing goes for almost every other case we see identified so far. Most reported MP's were identified as Doe's from the 2000s to the mid-to-late 2010s. Now all you see is unreported missing people or reported missing people not in NamUs. You sometimes see the odd Doe identified as a MP like Linda Lebeau or Brenda Black but not normally to my knowledge...
You're right, I've noticed this trend of identified not being reported, or the report disappeared, wasn't pursued, was erroneously close, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yedi
Back