WA WA - Tacoma, Tideflats, age~15 UP8783, foot in Sz 6 "Ozark Trail" hiking boot, sock, Dec'10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Shantina Smiley is my first thought.. I hope they find her one day.

A boy I knew was washed away on the Oregon Coast 3 & 1/2 years ago; they've never found him. :(

That person might eventually wash up PDX.

In the mid 80's I was at Little Whale Cove on the Oregon Coast when a celebrating HS graduate was washed off the rocks. His remains were found about 3 years later down past Cape Foulweather on a beach. The fire chief said his body had been wedged in the rocks all that time and a recent storm had dislodged the remains after a big storm, with the tide then taking him down south. xox

http://www.kgw.com/news/111938954.html
the right foot was still inside a boy's size 6 "OzArk Trail" hiking boot and likely belonged to a juvenile or small adult. He says the boots were sold in Walmart stores from 2004 to 2005. (A hand me down from an older sibling or went missing that long ago?)

It could also be from a small adult female. I wear a male size 8, as I find ladies' shoes are not very durable.

You know, how do we really know what was on Kyron's feet anyway? Who reported what he was wearing and why couldnt he have changed into boots when he left the school if he left in a car and was told, for example, that they were going on a picnic/trip/hike on Sauvie Island??

Just sayin...

You know, how do we really know what was on Kyron's feet anyway? Who reported what he was wearing and why couldnt he have changed into boots when he left the school if he left in a car and was told, for example, that they were going on a picnic/trip/hike on Sauvie Island??

Just sayin...

The fact that he wore a size 11 and these are size 6 seems to negate the brand or description, though. I can't see a size 11 foot fitting in a size 6.

He wore a kids size 11?

ETA: I snagged this off of a website for measuring feet for shoes.

Infant:​
sizes 0 - 4

Toddler:​
sizes 4½ - 10

Pre School:​
sizes 10½ - 3

Grade School: sizes 3½ - 7

Just sayin...

A men's size 6 boot would be very big for a boy Kyron's age. My 7 year old girl wears a size 1. My 10 year old son wears a size 3.

He wore a kids size 11?

At a noon press conference, they displayed clothing similar to what Kyron was last seen wearing — a black T-shirt with a logo from "CSI," dark cargo pants, white socks and size 11 Skechers.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_search_enters_eig.html

Yeah, I don't know much about the sizing thing, so I can't be more specific. I am always confused by sizes - I always just check to see if they fit and go from there!

ETA: I think both Kyron and the owner of this shoe were both in boys' sizes - but I'm not sure if there are multiple gradients of that.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_search_enters_eig.html

Yeah, I don't know much about the sizing thing, so I can't be more specific. I am always confused by sizes - I always just check to see if they fit and go from there!

ETA: I think both Kyron and the owner of this shoe were both in boys' sizes - but I'm not sure if there are multiple gradients of that.

Kids sizes go up to size 13. Then you start on adult sizes at size 1. So, it is quite possible that Kyron wore a kids size 11 shoe.

Kids sizes go up to size 13. Then you start on adult sizes at size 1. So, it is quite possible that Kyron wore a kids size 11 shoe.

Little kids ( infant and toddlers/preschoolers) shoes go through size 13. Big kids shoes are 1-6.5. Mens shoes start at 7.

My second grade 8 yr old son is in a 6 boys or a mens 7 depending on the shoe.

A boys 6 would be appx a womans 7. Average boys shoes are wider than average womans shoes.

hth

These are the boots...
shoes.jpg

Quoting to bring forward photo of boots found. A little more info on the link in the OP.

I don't know if it was here or a news site where I read that a lot of asian men work in the vancouver harbour on the boats and that maybe one of them fell over board.

A female who wears a woman's size 8 could wear a boys size 6.

My son's boots from last year are size 8 and I wear a woman's size 10. His old boots fit me perfectly.

And for another size reference:
My 7 yo daughter wears a child's size 2. It is doubtful that Kyron wore a size 11. JMO

Another thing the article points out is the reason they are feet. The buoyancy of the shoes is what makes them float to shore.

I saw a shoe floating once and it had barnacles on it! It was creepy. I touched it with an oar to see if it had a foot in it-----thankfully not! Shoes are definitely buoyant.

https://identifyus.org/cases/8783

Case Report - NamUs UP # 8783
Case Information
Status Unidentified
Case number 10-1576
Date found December 05, 2010 00:00
Date created May 24, 2011 17:32
Date last modified July 12, 2012 16:27
Date QA reviewed May 25, 2011 05:21
Local Contact (ME/C or Other)
Agency Pierce Cnty Med Examiners Ofc
Phone 253-798-6494
Case Manager
Name Amber Midkiff
Phone 253-798-6494
Demographics
Estimated age Cannot Determine
Minimum age 15 years
Maximum age years
Race Unsure
Ethnicity
Sex Unsure
Weight (pounds) , Cannot Estimate
Height (inches) , Cannot Estimate

Notes on body parts recovered
Only one foot recovered

Body conditions
Not recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissues

Probable year of death to
Estimated postmortem interval

Circumstances
Location Found
GPS coordinates
Address 1 801 E Portland Ave
Address 2
City Tacoma
State Washington
Zip code
County Pierce

Circumstances of death
Skeletal remains of a foot were found in a shoe in Tacoma, WA. The remains were found by employees doing a security check.

Clothing and Accessories
No clothing or accessories
Clothing and accessories are described below

Clothing on body
Brown sock, white sock with grey toes and heels with the word "Hanes" on the sole in apparent pink color.

Clothing with body
Footwear
Size 6 hiking boot/shoe with tag labeled "Ozark Trail"; shoe was brown in color with black trim

DNA

Type mtDNA nucDNA Y-STR
Location University of North Texas
Reference # 11-0004.1A1
Lab ORI TX220035Y
Comments
Complete mitochondrial DNA profile uploaded to NDIS. Partial STR profile (8/14) uploaded to NDIS, complete LOW COPY STR profile available at UNT for comparison. Partial (12/16) Y-STR profile uploaded to NDIS. CL

No further Namus exclusions since the one posted above in 2019.

Is it likely remains could have washed down from Canada?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest
Back