WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Er, I didn't mean to step on your toes. I didn't even take credit for the idea of the match over there.

If you want to submit it yourself - please, it was your hard work, and I didn't mean to insult you.

I think I'm going to head off to :behindbar now...

I would have liked to have been included in the decision somewhere along the line. I worked really hard on this match, but because of the NCIC tags I wanted to try and make absolutely sure (as much as I could) that these two haven't been matched. I don't want to waste LE's time and that is why I have been asking about NCIC. If they are both in that data base, does that exclude a match?

Rudolf: Please no offense, but understand that we are a community, and we work together. No one person takes credit for the work that MANY do, and while you may have worked much time on this, so have MANY other people. I have worked countless hours on cases, but expect no credit or pats on the back, because my motive for being here is to help others, not gain recognition. You make a choice to come here and volunteer your time, and for that, we are all very grateful, but please understand that you are not alone in the work that you do, and EVERYONE here has something to contribute. Noone needs to "ask" permission from someone else to do something(such as contacting LE or Doe), as long is it is within bounds of the TOS of the site, and Steve did nothing wrong.

As far as NCIC (and someone correct me if I am wrong), it is a database, and certain characteristics of a person may attempt to be matched with others on the site, but it is not a source where every single person is cross referenced with every other person in the database(It would be nice if such as system existed!). That can only be done by DNA, dental records, etc. So...if one person is listed as a missing, and another is listed as an unidentified, they may or may not have been compared, but many more may never even have been cross-referenced. Now, if DNA has been entered into CODEX for both individuals, DNA would rule out an individual. Since there is a physical resemblance between the two individuals, the next step would be to contact LE to inquire about information that may not be in the listings. Although the UID was found a considerable distance from the missing person, that alone does not rule out a possibility, and should actually be considered a minor consideration. Many UID/missing have been matched up several states, and even across the country from where they went missing. Location alone is not enough to make a determination on an individual. FWIW, the unidentified was found with a necklace of gold nuggets. Idaho is a HUGE gold mining state, so even if the UID is not Albert, it MAY be someone from Idaho or another gold mining state, such as Alaska, California, etc.

I recommend you start a separate thread for either the UID or Albert in the missing area, as we are not allowed to hijack a thread on a particular person with another person(this is considered off topic and a violation of the TOS). Once you have started the separate thread, just ask one of the mods to move all your posts about the UID and Albert from here to the new thread. Then we can all work together on finding the identity of that UID! In the meantime, maybe you could contact LE and find out more details about Albert and the UID, so they can be compared. Thanks! :blowkiss:

I would have liked to have been included in the decision somewhere along the line. I worked really hard on this match, but because of the NCIC tags I wanted to try and make absolutely sure (as much as I could) that these two haven't been matched. I don't want to waste LE's time and that is why I have been asking about NCIC. If they are both in that data base, does that exclude a match?

Just for the record, for all present and future cases in which I may have anything of value to contribute, I will always prefer another person to initiate contact with LE. If it came right down to it and nobody else will do it, of course I will then, but that is my preference.

I can ask Sgt. Shumate to take a look at Albert. It seems like we looked at him earlier, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. I've worked with NCIC information for 30 years, and it has been hit and miss. I've seen times where the information supplied to LE about a missing person is incorrect. I always used NCIC as a source to obtain names of missing persons and the agencies investigating the case. You still need to call the agency and compare notes. Now, if a missing person's DNA is in CODIS, it is automatically compared with other DNA in the system. "Lyle" should be in CODIS.

I can ask Sgt. Shumate to take a look at Albert. It seems like we looked at him earlier, but it doesn't hurt to make sure. I've worked with NCIC information for 30 years, and it has been hit and miss. I've seen times where the information supplied to LE about a missing person is incorrect. I always used NCIC as a source to obtain names of missing persons and the agencies investigating the case. You still need to call the agency and compare notes. Now, if a missing person's DNA is in CODIS, it is automatically compared with other DNA in the system. "Lyle" should be in CODIS.

Thanks Coldcaseman for staying with us as our side by side mentor in studying Lyle's case.

I have a question about CODIS, and what it searches. We know DNA and fingerprints. Does it also have other capabilities in searching for hair matches and tattoo's?

Ta xox

Thanks Coldcaseman for staying with us as our side by side mentor in studying Lyle's case.

I have a question about CODIS, and what it searches. We know DNA and fingerprints. Does it also have other capabilities in searching for hair matches and tattoo's?

Ta xox
CODIS only has the DNA profiles. It is unfortunate that many missing persons (older) cases aren't in CODIS, because a DNA sample from them or a relative wasn't obtained. I know that in many areas LE is trying to correct that, by locating relatives in pre-1990 cases and obtaining DNA samples.

I may well have missed this, but is there any speculation as to why Lyle put down the address of a hotel in Idaho?

He could have listed anything - something generic like 315 Walnut Street in some non-descript town, and at the motel he was checking into, it doesn't sound like they would have asked any questions.

Why a Best Western in Idaho? How would he even know the address? We know that nobody recognized him, so he didn't work there, or frequent the place.

CCM mentioned earlier that suicides happen in hotels all the time. I wonder if perhaps there was a suicide at that particular hotel that is somehow related to Lyle?

I may well have missed this, but is there any speculation as to why Lyle put down the address of a hotel in Idaho?

He could have listed anything - something generic like 315 Walnut Street in some non-descript town, and at the motel he was checking into, it doesn't sound like they would have asked any questions.

Why a Best Western in Idaho? How would he even know the address? We know that nobody recognized him, so he didn't work there, or frequent the place.

CCM mentioned earlier that suicides happen in hotels all the time. I wonder if perhaps there was a suicide at that particular hotel that is somehow related to Lyle?

ccm-can you give us an idea of the investigation into the other hotel? where there any recent suicides there? also, how far back did you check registration records? were you able to rule-out most of the guests as being lyle or knowing him? basically, what was the process? thank you for the update by the way!!

ccm-can you give us an idea of the investigation into the other hotel? where there any recent suicides there? also, how far back did you check registration records? were you able to rule-out most of the guests as being lyle or knowing him? basically, what was the process? thank you for the update by the way!!
We provided Meridian PD with Lyle's picture and his information. The staff was shown the photo and they checked recent records for that name. I would assume that not much more (like contacting guests) would have been done. If this had been a Homicide or a serious crime, there would have been a deeper inquiry. The Meridian Police Officers didn't recognize the photo. He may have stayed at the Motel (using his real name), and whoever checked him in maybe didn't pay attention to what he looked like. I've found that, unless the person had unusual features or mannerisms, many clerks, waitstaff, etc. can't identify people after a few days.

As for suicides at the Idaho Motel, the Police didn't say there had been a suicide there around the same time. I can contact them and ask to check their records.

As for suicides at the Idaho Motel, the Police didn't say there had been a suicide there around the same time. I can contact them and ask to check their records.

If you don't mind, that would be great. Will you also please ask if there were any homicides or overdoses at that hotel for the last few years?

I realize this is an EXTREME long-shot, but maybe Lyle was involved in some tragic event that happened there.

Most likely, I feel he just stayed there, but you never know.

another thought...Lyle must have some significant attachment to the idaho hotel.

why would a person memorize the address of a hotel?

-maybe he worked there or was invovled with someone who did
-or lived there long enough to use it as his mailing address
-or experienced some tragic event there, so that the address was burned on his brain?

Another possibility is that, if he was hitchhiking, he may have picked up one of those coupon books at rest stops, which typically list hotels with their addresses and phone numbers. Still, it's an odd way to choose an address.

Some people have mentioned possible links to 9-11... there are quite a few people who were never found in the remains. In fact, just last July, someone was declared dead because she hadn't been seen in seven years! So few of the victims have been positively identified.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/07/10/2008-07-10_city_adds_doctor_to_911_victims_list.html

Imagine someone who is borderline suicidal, and 9-11 happens. They've lost a chunk of their life, and people think that they were in the WTC when the planes hit. A perfect time to take off, cross the country, and commit suicide as far from NYC as you can. Their family would be spared the pain of suicide, and there would never be a missing person's report filed.

There are a few photos of people on these pages who look like the UID.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/memorial/lists/by-age/index.html

Another possibility is that, if he was hitchhiking, he may have picked up one of those coupon books at rest stops, which typically list hotels with their addresses and phone numbers. Still, it's an odd way to choose an address.

Some people have mentioned possible links to 9-11... there are quite a few people who were never found in the remains. In fact, just last July, someone was declared dead because she hadn't been seen in seven years! So few of the victims have been positively identified.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/07/10/2008-07-10_city_adds_doctor_to_911_victims_list.html

Imagine someone who is borderline suicidal, and 9-11 happens. They've lost a chunk of their life, and people think that they were in the WTC when the planes hit. A perfect time to take off, cross the country, and commit suicide as far from NYC as you can. Their family would be spared the pain of suicide, and there would never be a missing person's report filed.

There are a few photos of people on these pages who look like the UID.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/memorial/lists/by-age/index.html
It is a possibility, but I know that LE went to great lengths to obtain DNA samples for all of the people lost at the World Trade Center. If they couldn't obtain a DNA sample from the person, they obtained samples from family members, and those profiles should be in CODIS, as Lyle's is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC