WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few authors with that last name. Wonder if his Dad could have been an author and that is why he was so well read. Also, some Amish have the last name Stevik. I think the Amish community shuns you if you leave their religious community. I know also that if you have a mental problem the strict Jewish people have you live apart from the family. It is sad, I know. Or maybe it is just a made up name. It has been ten years already. You think someone would recognize him. The reconstructed picture reminds me of Arnold Schwartzenager in a way. I wonder why Washington State has such a high rate of suicide for young people.

I'm new to WebSleuth, but have always been curious about this case. After extensively review missing persons cases I've come up with a few possible matches, of course barring some discrepancies. I also apologize if any of these have already been suggested.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/depatie_jonathan.html
http://www.utahsright.com/missingprofile.php?id=9

http://www.nampn.org/cases/mander_narinder.html

http://www.nampn.org/cases/mercon_pierre.html

http://www.nampn.org/cases/hyatt_eugene.html

I know that some of the missing men I mentioned above weren't reported missing until after the fact, but after reading about a case that took 19 years to solve after incorrect dates were recorded, I figured at the very least they were worth suggesting.

MY BOLD

The Jonathan Depatie case has been definitely ruled out. I got in touch with his sister via a missing Myspace page for him and sent her the Lyle links (after I explained they were morgue photos and got her permission). She reviewed them and said that was not her brother. They might also have ruled him out with forensics. A few of us were fairly certain we had a match with him, and it was disappointing to realize we were back at square one again.

Pierre Mercon is an automatic rule-out due to the map of Uruguay on his shoulder. Lyle was not tattooed.

Re the Hyatt case, Lyle was already dead by the time he went missing, and it seems most likely that he and his girlfriend were swept out with the tide.

If you go to one of the online resources for surname mapping, which truely are such phenomenal resources, you will indeed find that the name Stevik shows up with highest concentration in Norway. While it may not be a common Norwegian name, it is most common in Norway (population density, etc). Also, Norwegians like any other national group represent many different ethnicities and within those ethnicities exhibit a broad spectrum of genetically diverse traits. That said, the circumstances seem to suggest that this is an individual from Canada or the United States.

If you go to one of the online resources for surname mapping, which truely are such phenomenal resources, you will indeed find that the name Stevik shows up with highest concentration in Norway. While it may not be a common Norwegian name, it is most common in Norway (population density, etc). Also, Norwegians like any other national group represent many different ethnicities and within those ethnicities exhibit a broad spectrum of genetically diverse traits. That said, the circumstances seem to suggest that this is an individual from Canada or the United States.
Can you point me to a surname mapping website for Norway...I could only find US or UK sites. I don't mean to be arguing, but I did a phone search and a tax search (how much one makes in Norway is public knowledge) and there weren't many only 53 one year, then 35 the next. So I am not so sure how accurate these mapping things are. I agree that Lyle was from the US or Canada.

Can you point me to a surname mapping website for Norway...I could only find US or UK sites. I don't mean to be arguing, but I did a phone search and a tax search (how much one makes in Norway is public knowledge) and there weren't many only 53 one year, then 35 the next. So I am not so sure how accurate these mapping things are. I agree that Lyle was from the US or Canada.

Well, I went with: http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/.

It is global and compares to 26 countries (admittedly a small cross section, if you are interested to which countries it compares: http://worldnames.publicprofiler.org/GeographicalAreas.aspx). If I recall correctly, Hungary was the second highest in frequency.

As someone with an uncommon last name that people often have difficulty placing, this is something I consider often.

There are also lots of Slovaks on Facebook with the name Stevik. Which I found while doing some roaming.

I still believe he checked in under a false name to anonymously commit suicide. MOO, of course.

Thanks! I've never seen that abbreviation before. I use the internet alot, and I'm still not up to date with internet speak.

lol, it seems like every time I visit a new site they have a whole new list of abbreviations to learn. These days you can almost have a whole conversations with just the abbreviations alone :floorlaugh:

Anyways i'm still googling around hoping to find something *new* or interesting to add to the Lyles thread. I still have high hopes Lyles real name is somewhere out there in internet land and its gonna be found!!

and something has been bothering me, and I don't mean to come off as a witch or whatever but i'm rather a little irritated Lyles still not on Namus :maddening:

lol, it seems like every time I visit a new site they have a whole new list of abbreviations to learn. These days you can almost have a whole conversations with just the abbreviations alone :floorlaugh:

Anyways i'm still googling around hoping to find something *new* or interesting to add to the Lyles thread. I still have high hopes Lyles real name is somewhere out there in internet land and its gonna be found!!

and something has been bothering me, and I don't mean to come off as a witch or whatever but i'm rather a little irritated Lyles still not on Namus :maddening:

Same here! It might actually do something for the case! Still irked that Lyle hasn't gotten the TV coverage he needs, because not everyone uses the internet to find people, nor always have access to it.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've always been fascinated by this particular case, and I think I found a possible match: Jondalar Washington. My first thought upon seeing Washington was that someone surely must have already brought him up as a potential candidate for 'Lyle,' but after extensive searching I could not find any instance where Jondalar Washington was even suggested as a potential match for 'Lyle', let alone ruled out. And while it's certainly possible that he's already been discussed, I figured I would bring it up just to make sure.

Jondalar Washington was a native male that disappeared from Alaska in 1998. He was 17. I think his photograph definitely resembles a young 'Lyle.' The circumstances of his disappearance are not at all clear. The thing that caught my attention is that there seems to be very little information available on Washington's case. I could only find one low quality photograph and very basic details. He doesn't appear to have an NCIC number. I doubt his DNA/dentals are in any national database. This could explain why no match has been made as of yet.

Now, he's not an absolutely perfect match, but he's as close as any I've seen. He's described as being shorter than Lyle, but that could certainly be explained by the fact that he was only 17 when he disappeared, and that was more than three years before 'Lyle' died. Jondolar's eye color is listed as 'brown' by some sources, while Lyle's is listed as hazel, but I've seen much more serious inaccuracies than that listed on other cases. His teeth seem a little unruly in his photo, but I'm convinced the photo had to have been taken years before he disappeared as he looks to be quite a bit younger than 17 in it.

Thoughts?

Jondalar Washington on the Doe Network
http://doenetwork.org/cases/3273dmak.html

There is so much info on this case, I couldn't read through it all. I know on the second thread the investigator chimed in which I thought was amazing, is he still commenting on this thread and case?

I was just wondering if phone records were checked from Lyle's room?

Is this guy really ruled out? There are a lot of similarities. And if you read further Izzett moved from Florida to Canada in 95, therefor could explain the accent. He graduated at the top of his class. Has an abdominal scar, along with ear problems, height is the same, and judging from the pic, I see some resemblance.

I don't think either Washington or Izzet is Lyle. Remembering some of what CCM said on here about Lyle, he mentioned that Lyle had never used hair dye. Also, Lyle has a broken nose that never healed properly, neither of these two have that.

As far as the broken nose, both Washington and Izzet disappeared several years before Lyle was found, so I would think the broken nose could have occurred during that gap.

I just wish there was more info available on Washington, so we could have a better idea if he's even a possibility.

One of the autopsy pictures of Lyle was a side view. In it he looked a little Oriental to me. Did anyone else think that? I thought I read somewhere that the eyes sometimes appear blue after death. Could his eyes have been brown?

Could it be the family has identified Lyle and wish to remain private about it? I say this because my great grandmother committed suicide in 1907 and it must have been terrible enough for the family as it was. They must have really felt awful as it was published in the local newspaper. She also hung herself and stabbed her wrists as well. Three people in our city, all of them age 65 committed suicide on the same day. I'm sorry I never got to know her as I was born 40 years later. My Dad didn't even get to know his own grandmother as she died 10 years before he was born. One of her sons said that she was very depressed because her health was deteriorating. She had attempted suicide before. And like Cold Case Man said that a person usually prefers to do it in familiar surroundings, she did it at home when she was alone. How terrible it must have been for her husband to come home from work and find her like that. She was very thin like Lyle. I guess severe depression will take away your appetite. She also must have been very lonely as all of her children had married and left home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn