WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I wanted to run something by you guys, since we are brainstorming. It could be a long shot, but since Lyle has a mysterious "foreigness" to him...do you think that there is a possibility that he could have been a foreign refugee who saught asylum status in the United States? We have thought him to be alot of different nationalities, but a place to start issuing these great posters could be high areas of resettlement in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho? I tried to look for those areas online, but could not find them. If he were to be slavic in nature, maybe he settled in a location with a high population of slavic refugees? This leads to my next question, if you are a missing refugee in this country, is there a database to be reported missing? How are you tracked? His family could be over anywhere, while he ended up here. I am really curious about this. So, if you any of you could provide links or information about this, please post it in the forum or send me a message. Thanks!

I've always wondered if he was possibly born outside of NA. But, if he was around 20 when he died, that would probably set the time of immigration to around childhood (at least before adolescence at best), in order for him to develop his accent ("Canadian"/"Other"), and complete dental work (to get teeth like his, the dental work would go on for quite some time. I know this from experience)

But he also could have been adopted from a foreign country and raised in North America.

I could throw out an abduction theory, but then I have no evidence for that.

I was thinking that for the immigrant resettlement areas, you guys could get someone to translate the posters into whatever languages in those particular areas, and have them distributed.

Well I have my printer put back together. (darn kids) So I'm going to try tomorrow to print out the flyer after I wake up, to see if it still works.

Now i'm just trying to figure out where to send "IW" poster first. Its hard to decide there's so many places. Any ideas? Washington State? Idaho?
I live in Oklahoma and supposedly theres tons of Indian tribes here but I do not know much about them since I haven't lived here that long. Any input is much appreciated.:innocent:

Well I have my printer put back together. (darn kids) So I'm going to try tomorrow to print out the flyer after I wake up, to see if it still works.

Now i'm just trying to figure out where to send "IW" poster first. Its hard to decide there's so many places. Any ideas? Washington State? Idaho?
I live in Oklahoma and supposedly theres tons of Indian tribes here but I do not know much about them since I haven't lived here that long. Any input is much appreciated.:innocent:

I have a fixed up version of the poster. I corrected the phone number, added the agency case number, the NCIC number, and a few other things.

Attachments

• INFORMATION WANTED2.pdf
    134.9 KB · Views: 23
Awesome job on the poster guys! Let's hope it helps bring Lyle his real name back so that his family can lay him to rest.

There's one little thing that's been in the back of my mind about the poster - does anyone think that it might be better for someone that recognizes "Lyle" from the poster to have the suicide angle downplayed a bit? Like maybe just calling it "Unidentified Male" and saying that he was found deceased in the hotel? It would be freaky enough to recognize a close friend or family member on a poster and realize that they are dead, but might be totally devastating to have the whole suicide thing immediately pointed out.

Just something to think about. And again, it looks amazing - great job!

I can see your concern! Do you have any ideas on how to downplay it?? I think it should be more than just UID Male though.. Only because someone might see the suicide part and remember someone from their past that had tried it before, or was really depressed..

ETA: I know your worried about friends and family.. Now old friends from my past I probably wouldn't even recognize... I'm so bad with faces and have an awful memory but any descriptive info might ring a bell.

I think that it would be important to keep the suicide part in the poster. Just keep it not very detailed, simply say an unidentified male suicide victim. It is already public knowledge, and while I am not wanting to capitalize on that aspect of it, I think it would probably tug at some heartstrings a bit. Was it the fact that he was an unidentified suicide victim that brought us into wanting to help Lyle in the first place? that brought our interest into it when each of us first discovered him? That was what made me interested, but I cannot speak for everyone else.

Who's up for starting a Facebook page for Lyle? I could start on it, since I've been off work for the past 3 days and have lots of free time.

Yes, start one. Have they decided where they are going to start with the flyers?

Yes, start one. Have they decided where they are going to start with the flyers?

I'm going to start with my school first, there's tons of international students there. Then I'm going to move on to businesses in Metro Vancouver, and perhaps take some when I go for my annual vacation to Victoria next month.

Any takers on what the FB page should be named?

I have no idea. The one really cool one that I did see was for "Greatful Doe". Maybe we could model it after his? That could actually be a good thing if we did call him Lyle Stevik in his page because I think that would be the most searchable name for him that would get the most attention, even if it is not completely accurate. Thoughts?

I would imagine most people would search his alias. So if its possible i'd use that. Let us know when you have it complete, I can't wait!!! :great:

I have no idea. The one really cool one that I did see was for "Greatful Doe". Maybe we could model it after his? That could actually be a good thing if we did call him Lyle Stevik in his page because I think that would be the most searchable name for him that would get the most attention, even if it is not completely accurate. Thoughts?

Do you mind posting the link for GD's FB page? Thanks heaps!

Putting Lyle's name in the page title is a great idea, considering he shows up on Google's Autocomplete.

It is for "Grateful Doe" Sorry, my mistake.

He has read hair in his picture and is in a tie dye shirt. He is listed as a public figure. If you sign into facebook and search for him, you should find him.

I tried to post his link, but it just took me to the log in page for facebook. I think that it would be best to use his reconstructed photo and not a post mortem one. I think we would all agree on that?

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    19.3 KB · Views: 62
I tried to post his link, but it just took me to the log in page for facebook. I think that it would be best to use his reconstructed photo and not a post mortem one. I think we would all agree on that?

I think that fits FB's rule for verboten images on FB accounts.

I'm still having trouble looking for that page on Facebook :(

For those who know about that suspicious "Lyle Stevik" page that was on Facebook (Discovered by the members of murha.info), it no longer exists. Wonder why?

I sent Mr Shumate an email seeing if he was okay with us sending out Lyle's info to misc places and he replied back. :great:

"Greetings,

I see no harm in getting the information out there. We are fortunate to have DNA, Dental, and good photos. It is just a matter of finding someone who knew of ‘Lyle’"

That is awesome. What is the status of the facebook page? and do you need any help with flyers? I am sure some of us in the forums could help out in some way! Let us know.

That is awesome. What is the status of the facebook page? and do you need any help with flyers? I am sure some of us in the forums could help out in some way! Let us know.

I'm still brainstorming the page. Once I get my ideas off the ground, I'll put them on here for all of you to see.

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've been reading all the posts on "Lyle" because I fond the case so baffling... I just wanted to let you know that I'm really impressed by all the information you've gathered and how dedicated you are! I don't have any element that could help the identification but I read about the fact that he asked to change room because the first one was too noisy and some said that if he was going to commit suicide anyway a noisy room would have been perfect too hide the sound of his body banging against the wall. But the noise was maybe only an excuse. If I remember well the first room was near a trailer park and the road he was seen pacing along, possibly waiting for someone or something. And trying to put myself in his shoes I thought that maybe he just wanted to avoid the sight of the road. I know that when I'm waiting for something like an important call I can't think of something else and the only way I can concentrate on something else is to get far from the phone (in this example). Maybe he wanted a room in the middle of the motel to stop checking the road when he knew it was useless. It's just a detail I know but I thought someone could be interested...

P.S: I hope I made myself clear and there are not too many mistakes because english's not my native language :)

Hi everyone, I'm new here but I've been reading all the posts on "Lyle" because I fond the case so baffling... I just wanted to let you know that I'm really impressed by all the information you've gathered and how dedicated you are! I don't have any element that could help the identification but I read about the fact that he asked to change room because the first one was too noisy and some said that if he was going to commit suicide anyway a noisy room would have been perfect too hide the sound of his body banging against the wall. But the noise was maybe only an excuse. If I remember well the first room was near a trailer park and the road he was seen pacing along, possibly waiting for someone or something. And trying to put myself in his shoes I thought that maybe he just wanted to avoid the sight of the road. I know that when I'm waiting for something like an important call I can't think of something else and the only way I can concentrate on something else is to get far from the phone (in this example). Maybe he wanted a room in the middle of the motel to stop checking the road when he knew it was useless. It's just a detail I know but I thought someone could be interested...

P.S: I hope I made myself clear and there are not too many mistakes because english's not my native language :)

I remember reading somewhere else that someone suggested that his pacing up and down alongside the road was out of nervousness and/or he was scared.

If that is/was the case, was he was afraid of someone finding him? Was he trying to flee from an abusive home? Was someone after him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly