WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is an article about Lane's detective career from years ago, and it mentions Lyle extensively (unfortunately, it's now pay to view on another site, but preserved on another forum; link below). There is a New Mexico article that she couldn't get a hold of & she thinks there was an article from the initial time that he was found (possibly in Daily World) which she can no longer find.

Link to article copy - WAM010917, Gray's Harbor County September 17 2001

There is an article about Lane's detective career from years ago, and it mentions Lyle extensively (unfortunately, it's now pay to view on another site, but preserved on another forum; link below). There is a New Mexico article that she couldn't get a hold of & she thinks there was an article from the initial time that he was found (possibly in Daily World) which she can no longer find.

Link to article copy - WAM010917, Gray's Harbor County September 17 2001

I managed to find the links to the NM article from 2008, now it requires an account and a "key" to access it :(

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...tevik-quot-Grays-Harbor-17-Sept-2001-3/page13

Thousands of legacies lie below the soggy ground at Fern Hill Cemetery.

Seas of headstones tell snippets of life stories. Trinkets, teddy bears and flowers serve as symbols that loved ones remember.

But at block 43, space 32, a mystery man rests in an unmarked grave. There’s nothing to indicate he’s buried there except a map in the cemetery office and the memory of a detective determined to close a cold case.

“He needs a name,” says Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Detective Lane Youmans, looking down at the plain grassy plot on a hill with a postcard-perfect view of rural Aberdeen.
“He needs more than ‘John Doe.’ ”

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ve+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Here is a snip. Screenshots are a nono but the article is snippable. Please remember the 10% copyright rules and snip away :)

Thousands of legacies lie below the soggy ground at Fern Hill Cemetery.

Seas of headstones tell snippets of life stories. Trinkets, teddy bears and flowers serve as symbols that loved ones remember.

But at block 43, space 32, a mystery man rests in an unmarked grave. There’s nothing to indicate he’s buried there except a map in the cemetery office and the memory of a detective determined to close a cold case.

“He needs a name,” says Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Detective Lane Youmans, looking down at the plain grassy plot on a hill with a postcard-perfect view of rural Aberdeen.
“He needs more than ‘John Doe.’ ”

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ve+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

Here is a snip. Screenshots are a nono but the article is snippable. Please remember the 10% copyright rules and snip away :)

I thought screen shots were allowed? I'm trying to do it for Lyle's wiki page. Not for here

Cannot recall if this link was ever posted here or not.
fwiw..

http://meridianhighschool.net/meridian-id/alumni/5159019/lyle-stevik.html

Also,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxSeL5C1MeI

"Published on Mar 1, 2015

14 years ago a man walked into a hotel room and he never left. It's the case of Lyle Stevik on this weeks Tattoo's of the Unidentified".

I wonder if someone that goes to the school made the page for Lyle as it gives no info on what year graduated. I haven't seen the page before

A quick update on the Wikipedia page:

The discussion closed today as a "no consensus," as there was no conclusive decision to keep or delete the page. This means the article will remain on the website and is safe (for now). I feel that the user responsible for the constant nominations won't back down and will likely return at some point, since this whole thing seems personal for them, as it is to me. Thank you to those who were able to dig around to find more sources for the article.

Picture1f.jpg

And I got a response in English saying this

Dear Sir/Madam
Thankyou for contacting us. we are informing you that we have forwarded all the information to our competent units
Sincerely
National Records of missing persons

Have you followed up on this?

I would be willing to bet they're from thrashing rather than a fight (which was suggested as a possibility by the police, according to Eugene).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He kind of looks just a tad different, doesn't he?

Reminds me of a guy I used to date who wore grey t-shirts (always too big) and baggy jeans all the time..

He sure does...

Here I was, saying not too long ago that it would be nice if the rest of the pictures would be released as they might be helpful.

One thing that go to me was - some of the staff could tell that something WAS WRONG with him, and they did nothing?! If you know that something is wrong with someone, do something! Not saying that this was their fault, but this could have been prevented!

He sure does...

Here I was, saying not too long ago that it would be nice if the rest of the pictures would be released as they might be helpful.

One thing that go to me was - some of the staff could tell that something WAS WRONG with him, and they did nothing?! If you know that something is wrong with someone, do something! Not saying that this was their fault, but this could have been prevented!

I would assume it would be okay for you to share a link to the imgur album on the FB page for Lyle - mention it came from the Reddit sub Unresolved Mysteries, or user "EugeneBYMCMB"

IMO the only thing that may be of any value (other than the full body shot we have now) is the picture of the trashcan. I'll try to isolate that and post it up here so if you don't want to see the PM pix, you don't have to.

Are the pm photos really that graphic/gruesome? I was considering taking a look to see if I could notice anything, but if they're as disturbing as people are suggesting, I think I'll pass. I'm kind of sensitive about pm's as it is.

Are the pm photos really that graphic/gruesome? I was considering taking a look to see if I could notice anything, but if they're as disturbing as people are suggesting, I think I'll pass. I'm kind of sensitive about pm's as it is.

There are pictures of him hanging from the rack - from behind, from above - there is a picture of him on the floor after they took him down which I find to be particularly disturbing. His head, while hanging, is bent backwards at almost literally a 90 degree angle. They're much more intense than what we've all seen, IMO, because it's the actual *scene* of the death. It's a lot to stomach to see someone, dead, exactly as they were found.

I mean, there isn't any blood or guts or vomit or fecal matter or anything like that - but it's still disturbing and whoever looks should exercise caution.

There are pictures of him hanging from the rack - from behind, from above - there is a picture of him on the floor after they took him down which I find to be particularly disturbing. His head, while hanging, is bent backwards at almost literally a 90 degree angle. They're much more intense than what we've all seen, IMO, because it's the actual *scene* of the death. It's a lot to stomach to see someone, dead, exactly as they were found.

I mean, there isn't any blood or guts or vomit or fecal matter or anything like that - but it's still disturbing and whoever looks should exercise caution.

Oh my..I think I'll have to pass on viewing those. :\

Thank you for posting the useful photos. Poor guy.

Yes, many thanks for sharing these photos, astridxx. It really helps to visualize the entire scene. Wow, what a handsome guy. I didn't think the PM photos were especially graphic - he looked very, very peaceful to me.

He must have been very fastidious. His belongings were sparse and well-organized. Who puts their toothpaste and toothbrush in a desk drawer instead of by the sink? His jeans had to be rolled up to fit around his waist, and not a hair was out of place before they cut him down. Not a hint of stubble on his face, either. I was kind of surprised that his blue plaid shirt was thrown on the chair instead of hung up or folded neatly. Taking if off was probably one of the very last things he did.

It's weird to me that the hotel towels are so dark. I've never seen anything but white towels in hotels. I'm guessing he didn't bring them with him but it's just kind of weird.

Can someone explain the pillows on the sides of the closet rack? Is that to decrease noise if he were to thrash about, or to reinforce support? I can see why staff initially thought he was praying when they checked in on him. Seeing the entire scene makes it seem so much sadder for some reason. Poor Lyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine