WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering a little about the similarities between Lyle and Caspar Ignaz Frans Rive.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1055dmnet.html

Their jawline and nose look very different in the front view post-mortem pic, but it is maybe possible that some of the difference is due to swelling and/or clenching of muscles?

In fact there is some facial similarity...

Though I do think Lyle Stevik must have been originally from some English-speaking country - if they found that 'suicide' note (well the word) on a piece of paper, that probably implies that if he did write a note home, he wrote it in English. Unless he was writing not to family but to a friend, or a girlfriend or something.

I wonder what the results of one of those ethnicity and ancestry DNA tests would show for Lyle. I hear a lot of conflicting feedback on their usefulness though. Poor guy. Maybe he wanted it this way but it's a shame that he's been nameless for almost a decade now.

The problem is that even if the tests were accurate, they can only tell ancestry from the male or female lines.

So if Lyle had a Polish grandfather on his dad's side - he'd show up as Polish, regardless of the rest of his ancestry.

Very strange that there are no photos of him (Frank Nash/Asselin) available as it isn't an ancient case or anything. On Charley Project it specifically says 'actual photos of Nash are unavailable.' All I can think is that sometimes when people plan their disappearance they destroy all photos of themselves, as this makes it harder for someone to track them down later. It's even mentioned in 'how to disappear' texts. This is 100% guessing but it's the first thing that came to mind.

DNA analysis for identification purposes has become increasingly more sensitive. The man known as Benjamin Kyle, diagnosed with retrograde amnesia, recently has his DNA analyzed for familial connections and was found to be related to 2 surnames ...one DNA match is possibly a 3rd cousin. No, his real identity has not yet been determined but it does give one a place to begin a search. If you scroll down to the sentence beginning, " Kyle has taken several DNA tests" at the link below you will be able to see how DNA analysis can narrow down the field for both ethnicity and geographical location.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjaman_Kyle

I've just recently taken another look at one of the crime scene photos (detlyle5) provided by DocWho3, and I noticed after flipping the photo clock wise, that there are some dark spots (on what looks like the left side) on his face. These spots aren't noticeable in his usual photographs, and I don't think they are blackheads, seeing as blackheads are of a lighter shade.

I'm new to WebSleuth, but have always been curious about this case. After extensively review missing persons cases I've come up with a few possible matches, of course barring some discrepancies. I also apologize if any of these have already been suggested.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/depatie_jonathan.html

http://www.utahsright.com/missingprofile.php?id=9

http://www.nampn.org/cases/mander_narinder.html

http://www.nampn.org/cases/mercon_pierre.html

http://www.nampn.org/cases/hyatt_eugene.html

I know that some of the missing men I mentioned above weren't reported missing until after the fact, but after reading about a case that took 19 years to solve after incorrect dates were recorded, I figured at the very least they were worth suggesting.

I should notify everyone on this board that the Facebook page no longer shows up in the top search results for "Lyle Stevik", but it does still exist.

Can anyone tell me for sure if Patrick Beavers has been ruled out? I see that his name has come up a few times in discussion, but I have yet to find that he has been compared officially to Lyle. A family member of Beavers has asked me to take a look at his case and I want to get my "ducks in a row" before I start investigating. Thanks.

I recently came across the profile of Douglas S. Mann, who bears a striking resemblence to "Lyle Stevik." Not to mention all of his noted physical attributes are spot on. Although he's been missing since 1994, it is noted that he left on his accord, thus making it possible he could have travelled to Washington.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3579dmfl.html

I personally feel this is worth submitting, but am not sure how to go about that, much less if it has been sugguested yet. Would love some advice!

Paul Wayne Johnson was another missing man that I thought had a similar jaw line, and heavy eyebrows, but some of the other physical factors, such as height and the structure of the nose.

Again, let me know if either has been ruled out. Thanks!

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3909dmaz.html

This is probably far fetched, but an Amanda Stavik was raped and murdered in 1989.She was raped and murdered and found in the Nooksack River. She was a high school girl at Mount Baker. She was jogging in the woods with her dog. Do you think she could have been his sister and he did this? She was 18 years old. The fact that he committed suicide in Amanda Park, would this have significance for him ? The book in which Lyle was a character had something to do with incest. Mount Baker was by route 542 and close to the Canadian border. It is in Whatcom county, Washington, not sure how far away it was from Amanda Park, Washington. There was an Indian Reservation near where she lived and one in nearby Canada. Could he have gone to work on the Canadian side? Stavik, Stevik, and Stovik seem to be Norwegian names. I believe there was a Hubert L. Stevik in Oregon or Colorado, an old man. Could this have been a grandfather.? The Steviks were also listed on Zaba Search as Stovik. The Norwegian name Stevik has a funny little symbol in it. Maybe it is all too far fetched to be true.

Maybe the hotel clerk wrote his name and address on one note. It also said State Id. He would have had to show an Id to rent a room, in case of damage. So maybe that was the name as it appeared on the State ID.

Although I can't say 100% for sure, I highly doubt Lyle was Norwegian. Stevik is not a common Norwegian last name. In fact I once looked in Bergen's (city where I live in Norway) telephone directory- not a one! As to the funny little symbol you saw, could it be one of the vowels: å, ø,æ? Stevik reminds me of a more Slavic-like last name. I just hope he one day gets his identity back...I refuse to believe he doesn't have anyone who cared left in this world.

If you look up "Stevik" on Facebook, there are tons of European people, two are Norweigan, quite a few are Slovakian (some from the same area).

Didn't someone on here suggest before that he might be Slavic?

His looks sure aren't like a Norwegian person are they? I sure hope someone in some part of the world will recognize him. It is sad. He must have siblings, cousins, aunts, somebody! There was some kind of case on the internet, INS vs Stepik. It is in PDF form and my old computer doesn't get it. It appears the person went to Canada and was deported so went to the US illegally and was trying to get asylum. If this were the case would a person be so despondent to have to return to their homeland? Maybe someone with a newer computer can see what its all about.

I'm sorry I got two cases mixed up. The INS vs Stevic wasn't anything to do with Canada. In 1970's, Stevic, first name unknown, came from his native Yugoslavia to visit his sister in Chicago. He overstayed his visa and was found to be deportable. He married an American lady. Shortly after marriage, she was killed in a car accident so they wanted to deport him again. He appealed as he said he had engaged in anti Communist activities after his marriage and that his father was being held in prison in Yugoslavia for engaging in anti-Communist activities. The court reversed its decision and sent him to another hearing. I don't know what the final outcome was. I misspeled Stevic in my other post. He sounds like he would be too old to be this Stevic, though. Didn't they think he was between 20 and 30?

I'm sorry I got two cases mixed up. The INS vs Stevic wasn't anything to do with Canada. In 1970's, Stevic, first name unknown, came from his native Yugoslavia to visit his sister in Chicago. He overstayed his visa and was found to be deportable. He married an American lady. Shortly after marriage, she was killed in a car accident so they wanted to deport him again. He appealed as he said he had engaged in anti Communist activities after his marriage and that his father was being held in prison in Yugoslavia for engaging in anti-Communist activities. The court reversed its decision and sent him to another hearing. I don't know what the final outcome was. I misspeled Stevic in my other post. He sounds like he would be too old to be this Stevic, though. Didn't they think he was between 20 and 30?

Yes, but he looks more like his early 20s rather than 25-30. I wonder if it's a possibility that he could be younger than 20.

You could be right about that, too. It's hard to say.

I remember ColdCaseMan said that his estimate was (I believe) about 20 years old because of the dentals. I also believe he said 25 years old was an "educated guess". But it is hard to say, because there are people who don't look their age. I have a friend who looks about 18-22, but she's actually 28 years old.

It also said State Id. He would have had to show an Id to rent a room, in case of damage. So maybe that was the name as it appeared on the State ID

ID is what Lyle wrote as the state that he was "from". Both types of handwriting belong to him and whoever was at the front desk. Lyle wrote in all uppercase letters, the desk person wrote "Date", "Name", "Address", "State", "Meridan (misspelled) ID", "Amt", and "Room #5".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734