WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, he really could be.

The 9/11 student visa angle is really interesting! If he was coming to the US for that purpose, we probably won't ever have an ID. :(

I would love to know if there is a database of these students/overstayers. So many disappear into America. They would have passport photos and an application for Visa approval. No fingerprinting at that time. But, the priority of tracking down someone who may or may not have ended up on the list of "concerning" visa overstayers may leave him without an identity.

I would love to know if there is a database of these students/overstayers. So many disappear into America. They would have passport photos and an application for Visa approval. No fingerprinting at that time. But, the priority of tracking down someone who may or may not have ended up on the list of "concerning" visa overstayers may leave him without an identity.
From what i can tell, they dont really keep tabs.

I live in a foreign country (i'm sure the US system is in some way similar), but here from what i understand they just have all the foreigners on a database, and when you try to pass customs, your passport is flagged.

I doubt there are any missing persons databases in Afghanistan at the present time, although i could look for some (I have a middle eastern friend, I could ask him to help).

I have always thought Lyle was from another country. And I do think there is a connection to 9/11 and Lyle. Perhaps, thankfully, he failed to complete his assigned task. There are about 6,000 missing foreign nationals on student visas that seemingly have vanished over the years. One of the 9/11 attackers was one of those. I don't think Lyle will be reported missing in the traditional sense. But, I do think his identity might be sitting in a file in immigration some where. Mind you he would have arrived before the heavy biometrics screenings, finger printing, heightened security, and what not. Thoughts?

If Lyle was from outside the US wouldn't the isotope test indicate where he came from? Iirc the results were only in the US and more from the southern states. I don't think he had anything to do with 9/11. I think he was a depressed young man that didn't want to burden his family so he went far away under an assumed name to commit suicide. I just wish we could give him back his name soon. Like in the Lori/Kimberley case I think the answer will be a simple one. I just think his family should have answers to what happened to him. I hope 15 will be the last year he is without a name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding of the isotope testing was in the last 12 months he had been traveling in those areas. Did it suggest he also grew up there?

Thanks for that! This thread has a lot of information, it's hard to go through everything.

So it says in the report, the samples are for the 12 months before his death. That is all that was predicted. That means he could be from another country and came to study as a student a year or two previously, then traveled around. Unless i've read the data totally incorrectly?

I heard of this case a few days ago and it saddened me tremendously.
I agree with most comments posted here… the young man was very probably contending with depression and wanted to die alone without bothering anybody who knew and loved him, and unfortunately his desire to have an “anonymous” death has turned into a focused effort of identifying him and trying to locate those who might have known him. It’s been 15 yrs already… that’s a very long time. I don’t know if he could be identified and linked to someone through DNA just like in many unidentified persons cases.

Thanks for that! This thread has a lot of information, it's hard to go through everything.

So it says in the report, the samples are for the 12 months before his death. That is all that was predicted. That means he could be from another country and came to study as a student a year or two previously, then traveled around. Unless i've read the data totally incorrectly?

Yes; it was on his hair. I'm not sure if they're planning to exhume him for bone and teeth. It would be helpful. Pollen may help too

According to the report, one tooth was tested and the report sets forth where he likely spent his childhood.

Great, thanks guys!

So torribreanne, it was just in the 12 months before his death. He can still be from another country. I hope that helps!

If he was from another country, would the people he spoke to remember that he had a foreign accent? That would likely be something that would be memorable in this small town. Most people who move still retain their accent if the move occurred after the early teen years. MIL still has a Dutch accent though she moved here at age 15 and is now 75. I think Lyle was from the US or Canada.

Great, thanks guys!

So torribreanne, it was just in the 12 months before his death. He can still be from another country. I hope that helps!

If he was from another country, would the people he spoke to remember that he had a foreign accent? That would likely be something that would be memorable in this small town. Most people who move still retain their accent if the move occurred after the early teen years. MIL still has a Dutch accent though she moved here at age 15 and is now 75. I think Lyle was from the US or Canada.

I ended up going to Reddit to see if they typed out the molar/ dental isotope results, they did. We can say Lyle grew up in the US. I'm going to ask apearn if she has time to stop in to see if there are military bases in the states listed.

Molar Isotopes - Reddit - The Isotope testing we've also been patiently waiting for...!!! self.lylestevik - submitted 5 months ago by -Urbex-Moderator - East Coast Canada
It looks like today is our lucky day when it comes to the end of waiting for things.
I just got an e-mail from LE with the results of the isotope testing!!!
The enamel oxygen isotopes predict that the decedent may have spent his childhood:

(1) In isolated portions of some West States, including California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, or Oklahoma; or
(2) In several Midwest States, including regions along the shores of the Great Lakes; and
(3) In portions of some South and Northeast States (Kentucky, the Tennessee/North Carolina border, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and coastal portions of New Hampshire and Maine).

Interpretations of these oxygen isotope data are meant to help guide further investigations, but should not be taken as definitive in the absence of other supporting evidence.

What appears evident from the stable isotope data is that for the 12-month period prior to death the individual was moving or traveling between at least three different regions, residing in potentially two regions for extended periods of time. The stable isotope data also suggest that the decedent likely did not spend his childhood in Amanda Park, Washington or the greater Pacific Northwest region. Based on the combination of data from the hair and teeth, it is possible that the individual returned to the region where he lived during childhood within the 12-month period prior to death.

That's a loooooot of states he may have lived in.

Roselvr, thank you for providing us with the isotope results.

Things that make you go wow, where do we start.
At least we know where not to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up going to Reddit to see if they typed out the molar/ dental isotope results, they did. We can say Lyle grew up in the US. I'm going to ask apearn if she has time to stop in to see if there are military bases in the states listed.

Molar Isotopes - Reddit - The Isotope testing we've also been patiently waiting for...!!! self.lylestevik - submitted 5 months ago by -Urbex-Moderator - East Coast Canada
It looks like today is our lucky day when it comes to the end of waiting for things.
The enamel oxygen isotopes predict that the decedent may have spent his childhood:

(1) In isolated portions of some West States, including California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, or Oklahoma; or
(2) In several Midwest States, including regions along the shores of the Great Lakes; and
(3) In portions of some South and Northeast States (Kentucky, the Tennessee/North Carolina border, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and coastal portions of New Hampshire and Maine).

Interpretations of these oxygen isotope data are meant to help guide further investigations, but should not be taken as definitive in the absence of other supporting evidence.

What appears evident from the stable isotope data is that for the 12-month period prior to death the individual was moving or traveling between at least three different regions, residing in potentially two regions for extended periods of time. The stable isotope data also suggest that the decedent likely did not spend his childhood in Amanda Park, Washington or the greater Pacific Northwest region. Based on the combination of data from the hair and teeth, it is possible that the individual returned to the region where he lived during childhood within the 12-month period prior to death.

Very interesting, indeed. Definitely lots of states there and way too many possibilities. I wonder if there is a way to narrow it down further.
Personally, I don't think Lyle Stevik was from a foreign country. He is from either from the US or Canada. He has very distinctive and pronounced features, although that doesn't really help us look at a particular direction. Perhaps he didn't have any immediate family and had left his place of residence to travel around. If you're an adult, not particularly close to anybody, then chances are nobody is going to report you gone or look for you. They may get curious and search your name in databases, they may not even have a photo of you. If he grew up in one place and moved around a lot it makes it especially difficult for people to retain you in their memory...

I did a screen shot and added it to his Find A Grave, also put the info in his bio. Next I'm going to add the hair isotopes when I have time.

This always catches my attention, "The fact he wrote the word "suicide" on a piece of paper found in the trash leads authorities to believe he wrote a letter home". What does one have to do with the other? I have never understood why the word 'suicide' on the piece of paper leads anybody to believe that there might have been a letter... I don't get it...

I wonder if it's possible to find someone related to Lyle through DNA?

Sure it is; just have to have LE authorize it. I've given them the info.

Someone had asked Colleen if she could look at his case, I'm not sure what came of it. She was busy on another case in Australia, Somerton Man, authorities won't authorize to exhume him so she can get a fresh sample, there's a petition that can be signed. The Attorney General is saying people only want to know his identity because people are curious. We all know there are families behind all of the unidentified bodies.

‘My God, that’s Kimberly!’: Scientist solves perplexing mystery of identity thief Lori Ruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member