WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent a request to NamUs to see if Steven Mylan has already been ruled out, but the rep is out of the office until Monday.

The reply I received from the kind NamUs rep about Steven Mylan was that he is not in NamUs and she didn't have any details on his case. She didn't see him as an exclusion but the investigating agencies would have more information on that. She was going to forward my email to investigators on Lyle's case for their review.

That's a loooooot of states he may have lived in.
This makes me think military or transient lifestyle. If he was a transient that explains a lot of things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Not sure if James has been suggested yet?
http://identifyla.lsu.edu/profile.php?id=277
attachment.php

[h=1]James Cary Smith[/h]
Missing since:
1991-09-06
Date of Birth:1969-04-24
Sex:Male
Race:White
Eye color:hazel
Hair color:brown
Height:68 inches
Weight:160 pounds
Last seen leaving home in Harvey, LA to take bus to New Orleans, LA

Attachments

• 277_1.jpg
    277_1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 158
Is this case quite popular/well known in the US outside of true crime circles? I just wanted to add that i'm Canadian and had never heard of this case at all until I joined this board. If he was Canadian, its possible the family hasnt even heard of this case.

That now seems unlikely as the Isotopes point to growing up in the US though. I hope he's found.

Just to add one more thing, if people are searching Canadian databases, I would suggest that you also search the local police department websites. I dont believe that all of the MP in Canada have been added to the national database yet (I could be wrong.) Does anyone remember a few months ago there was a boy from Canada who went missing in the 70's, but his missing case was never followed up, then it was lost? I cant remember his name or what he looks like. Could he be another possibility for Lyle?

I'm still hoping my submit pans out, but seeing as they have no DNA on fingerprints on file for the person I'd suggested, it seems unlikely. The mole though, I just cant get over it!

There are also some people in the US whos cases still arent on Namus or Doe. Everyone keep searching, I hope we can find him :(

I too had not heard of Lyle prior to this board but that's the case with a lot of UID's. It's a sad situation when these people can't even be given names :(

Is this case quite popular/well known in the US outside of true crime circles? I just wanted to add that i'm Canadian and had never heard of this case at all until I joined this board. If he was Canadian, its possible the family hasnt even heard of this case.

That now seems unlikely as the Isotopes point to growing up in the US though. I hope he's found.

Just to add one more thing, if people are searching Canadian databases, I would suggest that you also search the local police department websites. I dont believe that all of the MP in Canada have been added to the national database yet (I could be wrong.) Does anyone remember a few months ago there was a boy from Canada who went missing in the 70's, but his missing case was never followed up, then it was lost? I cant remember his name or what he looks like. Could he be another possibility for Lyle?

I'm still hoping my submit pans out, but seeing as they have no DNA on fingerprints on file for the person I'd suggested, it seems unlikely. The mole though, I just cant get over it!

There are also some people in the US whos cases still arent on Namus or Doe. Everyone keep searching, I hope we can find him :(

Except for facebook, now Reddit and a few blogs, Lyle hasn't had press. I posted on reddit to suggest they pass to his LE that they do a press release like Buck Skin girl in the isotope states and ask for press. One of the mods had an article written; unfortunately they didn't include photos of Lyle. I suggested she send a few via email, maybe they will attach. Whenever I do anything with the Doe's I include everything, photos, links, narrative. People do not like to have to go out of their way to save photos

As for the Canadian database, no not all cases are entered. Allan Kenley Mattheson isn't there, his is a better known case too. I had told his sister to look into it years ago. I don't think the public can enter cases like with NamUs

John Doe case inspires amateur web detectives - Published: October 11, 2016

Reddit post - Grays Harbor Herald: "John Doe Case Inspires Amateur Web Detectives" (Features New Interview with Detective Youmans About Lyle!)

Except for facebook, now Reddit and a few blogs, Lyle hasn't had press. I posted on reddit to suggest they pass to his LE that they do a press release like Buck Skin girl in the isotope states and ask for press. One of the mods had an article written; unfortunately they didn't include photos of Lyle. I suggested she send a few via email, maybe they will attach. Whenever I do anything with the Doe's I include everything, photos, links, narrative. People do not like to have to go out of their way to save photos

As for the Canadian database, no not all cases are entered. Allan Kenley Mattheson isn't there, his is a better known case too. I had told his sister to look into it years ago. I don't think the public can enter cases like with NamUs

John Doe case inspires amateur web detectives - Published: October 11, 2016

Reddit post - Grays Harbor Herald: "John Doe Case Inspires Amateur Web Detectives" (Features New Interview with Detective Youmans About Lyle!)

Found another article on Throwback News, unfortunately they haven't linked it on their FB page
15 Years After Lyle Stevik Died In An Apparent Suicide, New Information Could Prove This Mysterious Loner Was Not So Alone After All - October 18th 2016

Gonna add them to his find a grave and album on the MP/UP FB page I have and get it shared. Find a grave is offline so can't edit it right now. If for some reason someone goes on his Find a Grave and it's not there, please remind me

Forgot to add this (keep forgetting stuff cause I'm sick) I'm not sure I've seen this article either
Mystery of Man Who Killed Himself in 2001 Still Intrigues - Who was Lyle Stevik? By Luke Roney, Newser Staff - Posted Mar 5, 2016 10:55 AM CST

Found another article on Throwback News, unfortunately they haven't linked it on their FB page
15 Years After Lyle Stevik Died In An Apparent Suicide, New Information Could Prove This Mysterious Loner Was Not So Alone After All - October 18th 2016

Gonna add them to his find a grave and album on the MP/UP FB page I have and get it shared. Find a grave is offline so can't edit it right now. If for some reason someone goes on his Find a Grave and it's not there, please remind me

Forgot to add this (keep forgetting stuff cause I'm sick) I'm not sure I've seen this article either
Mystery of Man Who Killed Himself in 2001 Still Intrigues - Who was Lyle Stevik? By Luke Roney, Newser Staff - Posted Mar 5, 2016 10:55 AM CST

Recently the maid’s daughter joined a Facebook group dedicated to this mystery. Her mother was still deeply affected by Lyle’s death, so she shared a new revelation. The maid had heard voices coming from the room the second day, when Lyle refused cleaning services.
She insists the television was not the source of the voices. She also said the room was handicap accessible, so the closet bar should have been too short for 6’2” Lyle to hang himself.

BBM.

Thanks for posting, Roselvr. This is so interesting! That could take Lyle's case on a whole other route.

Recently the maid’s daughter joined a Facebook group dedicated to this mystery. Her mother was still deeply affected by Lyle’s death, so she shared a new revelation. The maid had heard voices coming from the room the second day, when Lyle refused cleaning services.
She insists the television was not the source of the voices. She also said the room was handicap accessible, so the closet bar should have been too short for 6’2” Lyle to hang himself.

BBM.

Thanks for posting, Roselvr. This is so interesting! That could take Lyle's case on a whole other route.

Welcome. Thanks for pointing that out as I haven't read them yet. Getting ready to copy and format them, that's when I read. I have to run my grandson to daycare, just hope I'm able to get back on the computer to finish it.

BBM. Thanks for posting, Roselvr. This is so interesting! That could take Lyle's case on a whole other route.

Interesting. I wonder if he'd engaged in consensual sexual activity in that motel room, right before he died. Would the ME check for that as part of the autopsy? Or would they only check for hairs and fluids, etc, if there were signs of trauma, indicating possible assault?

Interesting. I wonder if he'd engaged in consensual sexual activity in that motel room, right before he died. Would the ME check for that as part of the autopsy? Or would they only check for hairs and fluids, etc, if there were signs of trauma, indicating possible assault?

I wonder if its true or she's remembering different. She said he was outside, walking; possibly on the phone (or something). I wonder why we haven't heard this before cause CCM would have told us when he used to post her and it would have been in the FOIA paperwork. Its possible she remembered after but don't think she ever told LE. I linked the article on Reddit this morning, maybe they will ask him next time they speak

Also, it might be helpful to know if the voice was male or female.

It probably wouldnt, i'm just curious

Edit: Actually it might, it's unlikely a woman could overpower a large man like Lyle, though not unheard of.

If Lyle had a condition like schizophrenia , would that be evident in an autopsy?
If he did have that condition, might that have caused him to be speaking in what sounded like two different voices, and perhaps contributed to the reasons for suicide?
Could he have been on the phone and the voice, perhaps yelling, coming from the other end of the call?

On the other hand, Lyle seems to have been very particular in his last movements in life, and surprisingly considerate to leave money " for the room".
imo, speculation.

Also, it might be helpful to know if the voice was male or female.

It probably wouldnt, i'm just curious

Edit: Actually it might, it's unlikely a woman could overpower a large man like Lyle, though not unheard of.

I feel it does matter and another reason why I'm not sure I believe it

I wonder if its true or she's remembering different. She said he was outside, walking; possibly on the phone (or something). I wonder why we haven't heard this before cause CCM would have told us when he used to post her and it would have been in the FOIA paperwork. Its possible she remembered after but don't think she ever told LE. I linked the article on Reddit this morning, maybe they will ask him next time they speak

Yes strange how it hasn't not come up. Almost too late or too little info surrounding it for it to be true.

If Lyle had a condition like schizophrenia , would that be evident in an autopsy?
If he did have that condition, might that have caused him to be speaking in what sounded like two different voices, and perhaps contributed to the reasons for suicide?
Could he have been on the phone and the voice, perhaps yelling, coming from the other end of the call?

On the other hand, Lyle seems to have been very particular in his last movements in life, and surprisingly considerate to leave money " for the room".
imo, speculation.
I do not know much about schizophrenia but multiple.personality disorder is possible but then what about the back pack he supposedly had?

There is a guy who lives above me that has a mental illness. I have no idea what kind of illness it is. Where I live mental illness is a huge taboo and it goes untreated.

He lives on the floor above me, and everyday, you can hear him talking to himself, and he also does different voices. Sometimes he sounds like a man, and sometimes he sounds like a woman and he argues with himself. However, what he says is complete gibberish. I cant understand his language very well, but my husband told me that what he says actually makes no sense in their language.

I think if he was staying there for a few days and was unmedicated, depending on severity people would probably notice something off about him. When I see this man outside my home, hes talking to himself. I could tell when I met him he was a bit off.

Not to say there is anything wrong with mental illness, and I do wish that guy could get some treatment for his condition. Just giving my experience.

I do not know much about schizophrenia but multiple.personality disorder is possible but then what about the back pack he supposedly had?

IIRC, BW later said he may have had a backpack, not that he definitely had one. He did however have toothpaste and a toothbrush. I wonder how much toothpaste was used from the tube. If it appeared brand new, the paste and brush may have been purchased at the local store. If there was a fair amount of paste used, it would seem he had it for a while and he carried those items with him, and not likely in his pockets. It could therefore possibly substantiate that he had a backpack. If so, where did the backpack get to?

I don't recall any mention that a wallet was found in the room. Would be odd for him to have $168 on him just loose in his pockets (along with toothpaste and brush).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member