WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The book is also about illicit passion..
rbbm.
http://articles.latimes.com/1987-08-16/books/bk-1572_1_joyce-carol-oates

"In the Stevick family, father Lyle is a family man, resigned to his life as a used-furniture store owner. He and wife Hannah have four children: Geraldine, who gets pregnant and must marry; Warren, who fights in Korea; promiscuous Lizzie, who shames her parents by becoming a nightclub singer; and Enid, the youngest, the one with the aspirin.

Enid is quiet, intelligent and always well-behaved. But privately she struggles with a darker self, her alter ego, whom she calls "Angel-Face." This darker self tempts her to steal trinkets from stores, to enjoy men's glances on the street.

When Enid is 14, her Uncle Felix, who is twice her age, seduces her. Felix "the Cat" is a retired middleweight boxing champion. Envied and scorned by Lyle, his half-brother, Felix is dark, brooding and glamorous. He gambles, womanizes and lives dangerously. Enid falls in love with him, and when he ignores her, she writes him a note saying, "Felix I want to die. I love you so much." When he still doesn't respond, she becomes obsessed with the idea of committing suicide. She longs for death to the point where commonplace things evoke a death call. She feels it in the pull of the undertow at Lake Shoal and sees it in the complex pattern of her bedroom wallpaper.

Felix, taken by her willingness to die for him, comes back to her, and they carry on a passionate, destructive love affair. These are four years of erotic, violent scenes in the back seats of cars and cheap hotel rooms on the outskirts of town"

It really makes me wonder just what might have been going on in his family. Maybe he saw himself as the one who was stuck in the middle of an enormous amount of drama and disappointment, and was tired of being made to feel he should "resign himself" to it.

I'm thinking more and more that he got rid of his ID information because he didn't want to be linked to his family in any way after death.

Yes, the photos and case files were released with redactions made pursuant to the Washington Public Records Act.

EugeneBYMCMB said:
Incorrect. I'm sick of defending myself against people who don't know anything about Washington's Public Records Laws and accuse me of acting improperly or unlawfully when I released the documents. For your information, here's the law: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.56. Take a look specifically at RCW 42.56.240, as it governs law enforcement records. You can also take a look here: http://www.seattle.gov/police/contac...equestUnit.htm for an example of exceptional compliance with WA records laws.

EugeneBYMCMB, that first quote was in response to a lengthy speculative post that I made, and I just wanted to sincerely apologize if it seemed that I was accusing you of something underhanded. Completely my fault--I was reading on my phone and didn't scroll back as far as I should have to see your explanation about how you requested the files, but that's no excuse. I'd just been reading about a lawsuit filed over unofficially released autopsy photos, and that colored my thoughts (and sometimes I just like to hear myself talk), but that's no excuse, either. In any case, I am incredibly sorry if I came across as casting aspersions on your motives. And a sincere "thank you" to you for going to the effort of requesting and posting the files--I've been reading on here forever, and it still never even occurred to me to FOIA anything. So thank you for not only doing that, but for reminding the rest of us that that's an option in many cases.

I'm going to try and start on my message for the daughter sometime tomorrow. I want to write it out first because it will probably be novel-length, given that I have much to ask as well as say.

I'm thinking of leaving it as a response on her FB posting (starting out with baby steps), and see how it picks up from there.

I'm going to try and start on my message for the daughter sometime tomorrow. I want to write it out first because it will probably be novel-length, given that I have much to ask as well as say.

I'm thinking of leaving it as a response on her FB posting (starting out with baby steps), and see how it picks up from there.

I wish you luck.

If she does decide to join this site and discuss what she knows with us, then I look forward to welcoming her here. She would probably be a great help.

If she says no, I hope that her decision is not challenged by anyone, and that her privacy is not intruded upon in any way in the future.

Let us know what happens!

Hello all,
Today I sent a follow up email to the agency in Croatia regarding Ilija Dukic

This is the response i received

"Dear Madam,

our competent unit has sent the reply email to sshumate@co.grays-harbor.wa.ua on 22nd of May

Best Regards,

NENO - Nacionalna evidencija nestalih osoba"

(translated National Records of Missing Persons

I sent the original email on the 25 March & it took almost 2 months for them to send something through. What do you think that means? Would they have sent something if they didn't think it was tangible? Or would they have sent something anyway?

Hello all,

"Dear Madam,

our competent unit has sent the reply email to sshumate@co.grays-harbor.wa.ua on 22nd of May

Best Regards,

I sent the original email on the 25 March & it took almost 2 months for them to send something through. What do you think that means? Would they have sent something if they didn't think it was tangible? Or would they have sent something anyway?

They probably had to get Ilija's records. Glad to see progress made! Thank you so much!

Hello all,

"Dear Madam,

Best Regards,

I was going to say that it looks troubling that they took two months...but, with all things considered, Roselvr is probably right.

He could end up being Lyle. Their facial shapes and eyebrows are similar. At the very least, Lyle might be of a similar background, so it won't hurt to be in touch with this agency.

Because this is communication between two different ends of the world, there might have been more involved in this process than say, the process of passing MP/UID information between California and Nevada as an example.

Because this is communication between two different ends of the world, there might have been more involved in this process than say, the process of passing MP/UID information between California and Nevada as an example.

I've seen a lot of instances on this site in which people call or message(to an agency that's anywhere in the world) and never get a single response(or are brushed off, sometimes rudely); I'm glad this wasn't one of those cases.

I've seen a lot of instances on this site in which people call or message(to an agency that's anywhere in the world) and never get a single response(or are brushed off, sometimes rudely); I'm glad this wasn't one of those cases.

I'm so glad too!

I have spent the last few days trying to get up to speed on Lyle's case. Thanks to everyone for the hard work they've put in and to Eugene for the FOIA!
Here are my initial observations based on some of the photos:
1. His hair was long, at least 3-4 inches, it was very nice. Some of the recreation pictures gave his hair a weird texture, almost Brillo pad-like. I remember earlier reports said his hair was trimmed, but maybe that was referring to neckline and sideburns.
2. The pen in his pocket--the only people I know who do that are door-to-door salesmen, waiters (even though apron is more common) and missionaries. Is anyone else familiar with an occupation that does that?
3. Has anyone read the bible verses that were bookmarked (though not necessarily by Lyle)?
4. Lyle paid $43.87 for Friday night (I think, could be off by a few cents). So why did he leave $160.00 for Saturday and Sunday nights?
5. This motel was laid back, no doubt. But he was there two extra days and the office didn't ring his room and ask him to come up and pay? They just let him stay and floated him a line of credit? I guess it's possible, maybe they figured he was down-on-his-luck and they had vacancies, so they weren't really losing anything...?
6. Did anyone else see him pacing the highway? Because that's odd.
7. This has to be the biggest news story that's happened in that town in a long time. There had to be some pictures posted or media at some point. Why hasn't anyone come forwarded to say they saw him, sold him a coke, anything?

I've wondered about the amount of money 'for the room' as well Sutton - if he meticulously planned this, he owed less that $100 knowing he would be found on Monday am considering the maid had come around a couple of times over the weekend.

The $160 in crisp $20 bills could have come from the nearby store owned by the same family that owned the motel. Jmo.

I have spent the last few days trying to get up to speed on Lyle's case. Thanks to everyone for the hard work they've put in and to Eugene for the FOIA!
Here are my initial observations based on some of the photos:
1. His hair was long, at least 3-4 inches, it was very nice. Some of the recreation pictures gave his hair a weird texture, almost Brillo pad-like. I remember earlier reports said his hair was trimmed, but maybe that was referring to neckline and sideburns.
2. The pen in his pocket--the only people I know who do that are door-to-door salesmen, waiters (even though apron is more common) and missionaries. Is anyone else familiar with an occupation that does that?
3. Has anyone read the bible verses that were bookmarked (though not necessarily by Lyle)?
4. Lyle paid $43.87 for Friday night (I think, could be off by a few cents). So why did he leave $160.00 for Saturday and Sunday nights?
5. This motel was laid back, no doubt. But he was there two extra days and the office didn't ring his room and ask him to come up and pay? They just let him stay and floated him a line of credit? I guess it's possible, maybe they figured he was down-on-his-luck and they had vacancies, so they weren't really losing anything...?

6. Did anyone else see him pacing the highway? Because that's odd.
7. This has to be the biggest news story that's happened in that town in a long time. There had to be some pictures posted or media at some point. Why hasn't anyone come forwarded to say they saw him, sold him a coke, anything?

The ones I bolded are the ones that absolutely baffle me. Maybe the hotel was a little more expensive on weekends? Maybe they simply forgot he was there, or assumed he'd be paying later? Maybe the room switch was something they charged a bit extra for(I've never had that be the case, but I guess it's possible)? Pretty much nothing about his hotel stay makes any sense to me.

Sometimes, artists take pens with them in their pockets(along with pencils, and virtually every other drawing implement known to man). Someone mentioned that he may have written one of his messages with a fine point pen; I myself carry one of those around most of the time, because it's a good "precision" sketching pen. He didn't have anything with him to draw ON, but it still seems to me that he threw a lot of things out(somewhere unknown) before he died - his razor, his clothing, his whatever else.

He strikes me as the type of person who might have been artistically inclined(it's the interest in literature and attention to detail), whether it was his actual occupation or not.

The hotel staff themselves could have bookmarked the Bible verses(I've seen that - it usually includes John 3:16 , when it happens); I wonder if the Bibles in the other rooms had the same verses marked.

Good luck with this. Facebook will send her a notification when you reply to her post so she should see it. I hope she replies!

I never noticed this before - you're right. For argument's sake, say Saturday and Sunday cost the same as Friday, then Lyle left enough for almost four nights, not two. If Saturday and Sunday cost more, how would he have know that? If he didn't know how much his bill would be and thought 'oh, this is MORE than enough to cover it', it's odd he held back the additional 8 dollars (which was found in his pocket). Why didn't he leave $168? It's not like he was going to use that extra 8 dollars...

This motel was laid back, no doubt. But he was there two extra days and the office didn't ring his room and ask him to come up and pay? They just let him stay and floated him a line of credit?

A line of credit with no security whatsover. What if a hotel guest stayed for a few nights and left without settling their bill? Especially when they could just walk away without having to pass the front desk. No deposit to cover the debt, no credit card to charge. Just an address scribbled on a piece of paper - and one that later turned out to be false. So, yes, very laid back it seems! I doubt any hotel would do this today.

Good luck with this. Facebook will send her a notification when you reply to her post so she should see it. I hope she replies!

I never noticed this before - you're right. For argument's sake, say Saturday and Sunday cost the same as Friday, then Lyle left enough for almost four nights, not two. If Saturday and Sunday cost more, how would he have know that? If he didn't know how much his bill would be and thought 'oh, this is MORE than enough to cover it', it's odd he held back the additional 8 dollars (which was found in his pocket). Why didn't he leave $168? It's not like he was going to use that extra 8 dollars...

A line of credit with no security whatsover. What if a hotel guest stayed for a few nights and left without settling their bill? Especially when they could just walk away without having to pass the front desk. No deposit to cover the debt, no credit card to charge. Just an address scribbled on a piece of paper - and one that later turned out to be false. So, yes, very laid back it seems! I doubt any hotel would do this today.

Rbbm.

Just a thought..some cultures consider the number 8 to be special.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_(number)#In_religion.2C_folk_belief_and_divination

He was found on Monday (the 17th), so he could have been paying for that day too. Maybe he was paying for Tuesday as well, as he knew the room would need to be cleaned and the police would have to investigate?

The $160 in crisp $20 bills could have come from the nearby store owned by the same family that owned the motel. Jmo.
<rsbm>

Right, and if the money came from the ATM, there should have been a debit or credit card with his name or at least an identifying number on it.

<rsbm>

Right, and if the money came from the ATM, there should have been a debit or credit card with his name or at least an identifying number on it.

It's really very difficult to believe there wasn't one at some point.

<rsbm>

I'm leaning towards it wasn't 'Lyle' that left the money nor wrote the note 'for the room'. Jmo.

He was found on Monday (the 17th), so he could have been paying for that day too. Maybe he was paying for Tuesday as well, as he knew the room would need to be cleaned and the police would have to investigate?
I understand that reasoning, but it seems like a small motel would be financially damaged in the long-term by an on-site suicide. But, I guess you do what you can do, and that is all Lyle could manage. I was trying to follow this detail and hope it would give a clue as to his financial situation. But not enough info is available.
Your answer makes sense--Lyle was probably allotting for at least one clean-up day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
welsh98