WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of tan lines might have been because he'd recently been in another geographical location with a different time zone where it hadn't been summer.
His putting the comforter from the bed over the window may have been because he needed the room dark to sleep during the day to adjust from the resultant jet lag.

The lack of tan lines might have been because he'd recently been in another geographical location with a different time zone where it hadn't been summer.
His putting the comforter from the bed over the window may have been because he needed the room dark to sleep during the day to adjust from the resultant jet lag.
Interesting take on the comforter and travel. Did he ditch his stuff somewhere near an airport and with a ( possibly purchased at an airport) toothbrush in hand board a bus and head towards Grays Harbor?
speculation, imo.

Found:17 September 2001, Amanda Park, Gray Habour County, Washington

Childhood:Not a resident of Amanda Park, Washington, most likely spent his childhood in:
1) Inisolated portions of some West states, including California, Arizona, NewMexico, Texas or Oklahoma; or

(2) In several Midwest States, including regions along the shores of the GreatLakes *notation, Canada included;and

(3) In portions of some South and North East states (Kentucky, Tennessee, NorthCarolina border, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey,New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and coastal portions of New Hampshire andMaine).

May have lived in the Boise, ID area between 1992 and2001 as a teenager or young adult Boise is the capital and most populous city of the U.S. state of Idaho(bordering Washington state)
As an European I’m not quite sure which states are part of the Mid-Westbecause it’s not part of what I learned about the USA or find on Google.…
This states are considered to be Mid-West (please correct me if I’m wrong)

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin

Depending on the source the following states are sometimes considered a part of the Mid-West:

Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, North and South Dakota.
The Northeastern United States, asdefined by the U.S. Census Bureau, covers nine states: Maine, NewHampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, RhodeIsland, Connecticut, NewYork, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
September2000 – September 2001 traveling, multiple times (at least 5 travelmovements) within the USA continent (12 months prior to his dead)
September2000/Oktober 2000 (11 – 12 months prior to his dead) UID resided in a region ("Iso-Region2") with warmer climate which is consistent with California, SouthernArizona and New Mexico, Western Texas and Oklahoma, plus portions of several Mid-Weststates and North East states as well as Southern states (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia,West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina,and extreme Northern Georgia.
March2001 possibly travelled again 6 months beforedeath to Iso-Region 2, although the residence at 6 months would have been abrief duration.

1 May 2001 (estimated 4,5 month prior to dead)UID resided in a region ("Iso-Region2") with warmer climate which is consistent with California, SouthernArizona and New Mexico, Western Texas andOklahoma, plus portions of several Mid-West states and North East states aswell as Southern states (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and extreme NorthernGeorgia. We note that Washington, Oregon, and Nevada WERE NOT INCLUDEDin the predictions for "Iso-Region 2".

1 July 2001 (estimated 2,5 month prior todead) UID resided in a region ("Iso-Region2") with warmer climate which is consistent with California, SouthernArizona and New Mexico, Western Texas andOklahoma, plus portions of several Mid-West states and North East states aswell as Southern states (Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, and extreme NorthernGeorgia.

We note that Washington, Oregon, and Nevada WERE NOTINCLUDED in the predictions for "Iso-Region 2". Here I’m losing it….

July 2001/August2001 (somewhere in this period/estimated)resided/visited Amanda Park, Washington (isotope record 1-2 months before deadconsistent with resident Amanda Park, Washington)
17 July2001 (2 months prior to dead) / 17 August (1 month prior to dead), resided in a region ("Iso-Region1") consistent with portions of the Pacific Coast states, INCLUDING GrayHarbor County in Washington.
plussome Western States (extreme Southern Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and extreme Western Oklahoma),some Mid West States, and some North East States, as well as portions of Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia.
How canNew Mexico, West Virginia and Virginia be in an Iso-region 1 an at the sametime Iso-Region 2?
17 August/? September 2001 Moved or traveled just prior to death from"Iso-Region 1" to a region characterized by a warmer climate, asindicated by an increase in the measured oxygen isotope ratios of his hairbeginning 1 month before death.
17September 2001 (date found), traveling through Amanda Park, Washington,coming from a region with a warmer climate (could have come with bus, twobusses at that time a bus from Port Angeles (south) and a bus came up from Aberdeen(northbound))

Reading this makes me feel that the deceased may have made contact in person with family or friends, and was rejected or made to feel he was unwanted or a shame to his family.

Maybe he had been living a lifestyle his family didn't approve of, and disowned him? Maybe it was something trivial but his family still held it against him? Maybe he disowned his family?

I know of 3 people that have no contact with either their parent or their child. In all 3 cases that I personally know, the reason is so trivial to me, but no talking or trying to rationalize with them has worked. None will budge in contacting the other feeling it's the other person's duty to contact them. It's foreign to me how you can live in the same area as a family member so close to you, but refuse to speak to them! In one case, a woman has one child, a son. She feels the son sided with her ex husband when they divorced and so for the last 20yrs, has not spoken to her only child! In the last year, she had a will drawn up specifically to write him out of any inheritance. Bizarre to me.

Another woman has 2 daughters. She left them as young teenagers within a month of their step daddy dying. She moved in with a man. That was a bit over 20yrs ago. She has limited contact with one daughter, none with the other daughter or grandchildren...

The third one I know of, a man in his 50s, his mother is dying with cancer. He is mad about her having an affair over 20yrs ago and leaving his Dad. So while he has had contact over the years, in the past year, he has become very angry and refuses to call and see how she is, or go see her, when she lives about 2 miles from him! His own mother...who is dying! And he knows his Mom has no contact with his sister and hasn't had any contact with her for 20yrs, again over the leaving their Dad.

Lastly I just remembered another one, a lady with an only child, a daughter, hadn't spoken to her or her grandkids for 5 or more years. But in this case, I understand the daughter's reasoning. The grandma remarried, and that man molested her child. Grandma sided with the man, and supported him during the trial and afterwards. In the last year, the Grandma has dementia, and the man has died. The daughter has tried to overcome, and have some relationship with her Mom, but with the dementia now, so many unanswered questions and lack of closure.

IMO, Lyle didn't want to be known for his reasons. Considering I don't see where he committed a crime, I am uncertain whether it's a benefit to identify him. That sounds weird after typing it. If he was found deceased, and it was a possibility of a crime having been committed, like he was killed, then I can see his identity needing to be known. While in theory, I would like to see all unidentified to have their name back, and would like to see family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, SOMEONE missing the person, and wondering what happened to them....maybe, just maybe it's not meant to be.

Reading this makes me feel that the deceased may have made contact in person with family or friends, and was rejected or made to feel he was unwanted or a shame to his family.

Maybe he had been living a lifestyle his family didn't approve of, and disowned him? Maybe it was something trivial but his family still held it against him? Maybe he disowned his family?

I know of 3 people that have no contact with either their parent or their child. In all 3 cases that I personally know, the reason is so trivial to me, but no talking or trying to rationalize with them has worked. None will budge in contacting the other feeling it's the other person's duty to contact them. It's foreign to me how you can live in the same area as a family member so close to you, but refuse to speak to them! In one case, a woman has one child, a son. She feels the son sided with her ex husband when they divorced and so for the last 20yrs, has not spoken to her only child! In the last year, she had a will drawn up specifically to write him out of any inheritance. Bizarre to me.

Another woman has 2 daughters. She left them as young teenagers within a month of their step daddy dying. She moved in with a man. That was a bit over 20yrs ago. She has limited contact with one daughter, none with the other daughter or grandchildren...

The third one I know of, a man in his 50s, his mother is dying with cancer. He is mad about her having an affair over 20yrs ago and leaving his Dad. So while he has had contact over the years, in the past year, he has become very angry and refuses to call and see how she is, or go see her, when she lives about 2 miles from him! His own mother...who is dying! And he knows his Mom has no contact with his sister and hasn't had any contact with her for 20yrs, again over the leaving their Dad.

Lastly I just remembered another one, a lady with an only child, a daughter, hadn't spoken to her or her grandkids for 5 or more years. But in this case, I understand the daughter's reasoning. The grandma remarried, and that man molested her child. Grandma sided with the man, and supported him during the trial and afterwards. In the last year, the Grandma has dementia, and the man has died. The daughter has tried to overcome, and have some relationship with her Mom, but with the dementia now, so many unanswered questions and lack of closure.

IMO, Lyle didn't want to be known for his reasons. Considering I don't see where he committed a crime, I am uncertain whether it's a benefit to identify him. That sounds weird after typing it. If he was found deceased, and it was a possibility of a crime having been committed, like he was killed, then I can see his identity needing to be known. While in theory, I would like to see all unidentified to have their name back, and would like to see family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, SOMEONE missing the person, and wondering what happened to them....maybe, just maybe it's not meant to be.

I'm going to go a little off topic here but my DH & his parents are just the same.

We last saw his Mom December 2016 (not by choice) & his Dad September 2017 but before that it had been years. DH doesn't communicate with either of them now, they don't have any contact details for us and although we both know where each other lives, we never see them.

I'll tell you now, these three people (DH, his mom & his dad) are the most stubborn people I have ever met. Since we lived together I have told him he must contact his parents, I have even reached out to his parents to say the same thing when DH wouldn't listen. But no. None of them will speak first. I don't think the ice will ever be broken. He had allowed his sister (he has 2 sisters & a brother who we see regularly and are close with etc) to borrow something and she had left it at the family home by mistake when she went over to walk their dog. So instead of being able to just go back to the family home and retrieve it, DH waited 4 weeks until he knew they were on vacation just to avoid them.

I understand the issues are there and it's hard for DH but my god, I've tried. It will never be repaired.

So yeah, imo, that's a good chance of something like this being the case for Lyle.

DH's parents wouldn't know where he was, alive, dead, on vacation, moved across state lines. It's crazy.

So he could essentially be from anywhere in North America...
That didn't narrow down anything too much :/

So he could essentially be from anywhere in North America...
That didn't narrow down anything too much :/

That’s how my brain is processing the isotopes. What am I missing? I feel like the isotopes literally say he’s been in every single region of the country, which could be extreme. But I’d really love if someone could ELI5 isotope analysis in general and in lyles case as well. I have to be missing something and I feel so dense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s how my brain is processing the isotopes. What am I missing? I feel like the isotopes literally say he’s been in every single region of the country, which could be extreme. But I’d really love if someone could ELI5 isotope analysis in general and in lyles case as well. I have to be missing something and I feel so dense.

It wasn't easy to read, but the focus is on the timelines. The timelines help to narrow down the areas he was in during the past 12 months. I'd say start there. This is why I wondered if Lyle knew someone in the area where he was deceased, the isotopes seem to indicate he was in that area within the month or two before he ended his life. The report suggests he might have returned to his childhood area within a year before his death. If so, who was he visiting, and how do searchers narrow it down in terms of trying to get the word out that Lyle is unidentified.

Maybe think about the type of person who would be traveling that much.

It wasn't easy to read, but the focus is on the timelines. The timelines help to narrow down the areas he was in during the past 12 months. I'd say start there. This is why I wondered if Lyle knew someone in the area where he was deceased, the isotopes seem to indicate he was in that area within the month or two before he ended his life. The report suggests he might have returned to his childhood area within a year before his death. If so, who was he visiting, and how do searchers narrow it down in terms of trying to get the word out that Lyle is unidentified.

I really appreciate you explaining what I should be looking for. Many thanks [emoji120]

I guess I’m skeptical of the isotope test in general. Again - I know nothing about isotopes and am only going by what I find by googling. But it seems like isotopes are more for fossils and artifacts. I haven’t found anything about how reliable they are for recent remains. The reason I’m skeptical is because our food comes from all over the country. I don’t drink tap water, only bottled. Would that effect the results if I was tested? Most of the produce I eat comes from California or Mexico. I am not positive which state the meat I eat originates from, but it’s not my own. Idk, it’s just confusing for me.

The only thing that stood out to me from my googling was Racine County Jane doe. Which authorities haven’t commented on besides saying they may have new leads after the isotope tests, and that she “may have” lived in certain states. Which to me means nothing.

I’m a skeptic by nature. And since I can’t wrap my head around how the isotopes prove anything, they don’t seem very useful to me. I truly applaud the Reddit community for all they do for Lyle. But I just don’t think isotopes will break the case.

Maybe think about the type of person who would be traveling that much.

My gut just doesn’t feel what others seem to feel about the isotopes. And that’s ok and that’s why we’re here. To discuss our thoughts and ideas.

ETA - even if the isotope analysis is accurate, I don’t even know what type of person travels the literal entire country. A traveling circus? A salesman? Sorry but I don’t think he was homeless or a grifter. That’s due to his clean clothes, crisp bills, and teeth (as noted by the detective). Being homeless is expensive. It’s not that easy to travel the country and have crisp bills to leave as an apology to the motel where you committed suicide.

I really appreciate you explaining what I should be looking for. Many thanks [emoji120]

I guess I’m skeptical of the isotope test in general. Again - I know nothing about isotopes and am only going by what I find by googling. But it seems like isotopes are more for fossils and artifacts. I haven’t found anything about how reliable they are for recent remains. The reason I’m skeptical is because our food comes from all over the country. I don’t drink tap water, only bottled. Would that effect the results if I was tested? Most of the produce I eat comes from California or Mexico. I am not positive which state the meat I eat originates from, but it’s not my own. Idk, it’s just confusing for me.

The only thing that stood out to me from my googling was Racine County Jane doe. Which authorities haven’t commented on besides saying they may have new leads after the isotope tests, and that she “may have” lived in certain states. Which to me means nothing.

I’m a skeptic by nature. And since I can’t wrap my head around how the isotopes prove anything, they don’t seem very useful to me. I truly applaud the Reddit community for all they do for Lyle. But I just don’t think isotopes will break the case.

There's nothing wrong with being skeptical.
I see Isotopes as being one of many tools for helping to solve unidentified persons cases. It may or may not play a part in these cases.
I find it so strange that he would go to that area to commit suicide, I feel as if he had some sort of connection to that place or someone connected to that area. It seems strange for a person to pick a random place like that to die, but anything is possible when someone is suicidal.

Lyle 's isotope results are discussed in this book, shown when link is opened..
https://books.google.ca/books?id=jh...#v=onepage&q=isotopes and lyle stevik&f=false
New Perspectives in Forensic Human Skeletal Identification

Krista E. Latham, Eric J. Bartelink, Michael Finnegan

Academic Press, Jul. 27, 2017 - Law - 374 pages

New Perspectives in Forensic Human Skeletal Identification provides a comprehensive and up-to-date perspective on human identification methods in forensic anthropology. Divided into four distinct sections, the chapters will reflect recent advances in human skeletal identification, including statistical and morphometric methods for assessing the biological profile (sex, age, ancestry, stature), biochemical methods of identification (DNA analysis, stable isotope analysis, bomb curve analysis), and use of comparative radiography. The final section of this book highlights advances in human identification techniques that are being applied to international populations and disaster victims.

My gut just doesn’t feel what others seem to feel about the isotopes. And that’s ok and that’s why we’re here. To discuss our thoughts and ideas.

ETA - even if the isotope analysis is accurate, I don’t even know what type of person travels the literal entire country. A traveling circus? A salesman? Sorry but I don’t think he was homeless or a grifter. That’s due to his clean clothes, crisp bills, and teeth (as noted by the detective). Being homeless is expensive. It’s not that easy to travel the country and have crisp bills to leave as an apology to the motel where you committed suicide.

They don't have to have traveled the entire country. That's one of the statements about the isotope analysis that isn't made very clear. He could have lived on the West Coast his entire life (or at least the life we know from the analysis.) He also could have lived his whole life in the Northeast and only come out to Amanda Park to commit suicide.

Something like the analysis of him being "transient" because of the change in his iso-regions could be as easy to explain as him going off to college.

For some reason I have a really hard time understanding the isotope analysis. To me, this says he may have spent time in like literally every region of the country. If anyone has any links that can ELI5 the isotope results I’d be super appreciative.

So my post #1744 was not of any help? Sorry.......

So my post #1744 was not of any help? Sorry.......

I don’t mean it offensively, but not really. Some western states, Midwest states, and, northeast states. That’s legit almost the entire country. It just seems far too broad to me. Also, my issue is that I don’t understand the analysis process in general. And how accurate the results are.

There's nothing wrong with being skeptical.
I see Isotopes as being one of many tools for helping to solve unidentified persons cases. It may or may not play a part in these cases.
I find it so strange that he would go to that area to commit suicide, I feel as if he had some sort of connection to that place or someone connected to that area. It seems strange for a person to pick a random place like that to die, but anything is possible when someone is suicidal.

I agree isotopes could def be a tool to help. I just think in lyles case, some people (not meaning people on WS, but people on the internet in general) seem too focused on the isotopes. But again, what do I know?

I don’t think Amanda park was a random place for Lyle. I do believe he was at least familiar with the area.

I’m hoping for a grateful doe situation, where someone Lyle knew from school will see his reconstruction pics on the internet randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member