WA WA - Yee Lu, 13, beaten and choked in her home, Stanwood, 1983

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

sasha17

Curiouser & curiouser
Reaction score
"Yee’s broken body was left inside her Stanwood area home. She’d been beaten and choked to death. She was just 13. The 1983 killing has never been solved... Detectives weren’t able to find a picture of the teenager."

Photo of Yee Lu: Yee Lu in recent photo: Newspaper Clipping

IMG_9404.jpeg
The Herald
Thursday, July 7, 1983 | Page 3A
Cambodian girl's murder puzzles detectives
By JIM HALEY
Herald Staff Writer

STANWOOD- Sheriff's detectives remain
stumped by Friday's brutal murder of a 13 year-old Cambodian refugee girl.

The death of Yee Lu was Stanwood's first murder in recent memory, possibly ever, said Starwood’s Police Chief Bob Kane, who supervises a four-officer department.

Kane said as soon as the body was discovered he requested help from the Snohimish County sheriff's office, which has the manpower to investigate the homicide.

*We do not have any prime suspects at this time," sheriff's Sgt. Clyde Foote said Wednesday.
Foote is supervising the three-detective team investigating the death.

Yee Lu's body was found near a rear door on the floor of a utility room in the family home in Stanwood. According to the autopsy report, she died of multiple blows to the head. There was no indication she was sexually molested.

Yee was the second youngest of five children in the family of Joe and Ying Lu. The Lu family came to Stanwood eight years ago, sponsored by members of Our Saviour's Lutheran Church, where funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon.

Foote said he can only speculate about the motive. "We're still in the initial part of our Investigation," he said.

"Any time you have a case and you don't know immediately who the suspects are or what the motives are, you might call it baffling," Foote added.

Detectives, who cordoned off the house Friday afternoon after the body, was discovered, have gathered numerous items of potential evi-dence, Foote said. Much of the material is being processed in crime laboratories, but Foote wouldn't be specific about what is being examined.

Foote would not say whether the evidence includes a cord a witness reported seeing. One end had been tied around the girl's neck and the other around a doorknob.

Yee apparently was killed between 9:30 and
11:45 a.m. Friday. A neighbor saw her alive at
9:30 and she didn't respond at 11:45 a.m. when someone came to pick her up for a babysitting job, Foote said.

A 9-year-old neighbor, hoping to play with Yee, discovered the body about 1 p.m.

Yee was home alone Friday. Her parents were at work and she walked her little brother, Sam, to the corner on his way to day camp. Her three sisters were picking spinach.

The Stanwood community has been "very supportive" of the Lu family, said Rev. Paul Wietzke, pastor of at Our Saviour's church.

The grieving family is "doing as well as can be expected," he said.

The Herald
Sunday, July 3, 1983 | Page 5A
Death of Cambodian girl, 14, being investigated as homicide
(Written by) Herald Staff and Associated Press
STANWOOD - The death of a 14-year-old Cambodian girl found dead in her Stanwood home Friday is being investigated as a homicide, a spokesman for the Snohomish County sheriff's office said Saturday.

Neighbors said the girl's body was bloody, battered and slumped to the floor. They said an electric cord around her neck was tied to a door-knob.

The girl's body was found about 2 p.m. Friday at 27404 76th Drive NW in Stanwood.

She was identified as Yee Lu.

Stanwood police Sgt. Al Halladay said the cause of death was not immediately determined.

Lu was the youngest girl in the family. The family reportedly has lived in Stanwood eight years since arriving from Southeast Asia under the sponsorship of a local church.

Sheriff's detectives were investig gating the death Saturday, the spokesman said. An autopsy to determine the cause of death is scheduled. to be performed Tuesday, said Ken. Stenrud, chief deputy coroner for. the county.

No other details of the death were available.

IMG_9409.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9404.jpeg
    IMG_9404.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9409.jpeg
    IMG_9409.jpeg
    481 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Photo of Yee Lu: View attachment 504445

View attachment 504447
The Herald
By JIM HALEY
Herald Staff Writer

The Herald

View attachment 504450
Maybe someone in the US could contact the Snohomish County folks with this information? Hers is one of the only two 'playing deck' cold cases without a photograph, I'm sure they'd be grateful to be able to update it.

I can't do it, I'm on the other side of the world.

EDIT: It looks like the Sheriff has an email, I'm going to try that.

Last edited:
Maybe someone in the US could contact the Snohomish County folks with this information? Hers is one of the only two 'playing deck' cold cases without a photograph, I'm sure they'd be grateful to be able to update it.

I can't do it, I'm on the other side of the world.

EDIT: It looks like the Sheriff has an email, I'm going to try that.
Hello! I sent them the info right after posting !

View attachment 504447
The Herald
By JIM HALEY
Herald Staff Writer

The Herald

View attachment 504450

Thank you for finding these! Where is the Herald available online? Newspapers.com subscription or someplace else?

View attachment 504447
The Herald
By JIM HALEY
Herald Staff Writer

The Herald

View attachment 504450
She was such a young and beautiful girl... I hope whoever did this to her, if they're still alive, won't remain free for long.

Her gravestone says "1968 - 1983", so I'm willing to bet she was actually 14.

I was able to find Yee's death certificate, and she was born on July 2, 1968, making her just one day away from 15...

Thanks for finding her death certificate. It lists cerebral trauma and multiple blows to head as cause of death. There was some mention in the news articles above that she may have walked into a burglary and the burglar, instead of just taking off, struck her on the head which killed her. What confuses me was the reporting on an electrical cord being found tied around her neck and also to a door. What would be the point of doing that? It would take the burglar extra time and effort, which doesn't really make sense. It makes me wonder if it wasn't just a simple interrupted burglary, although I admit I have no other idea what else could have been going on. So frustrating that it was never solved.

Thanks for finding her death certificate. It lists cerebral trauma and multiple blows to head as cause of death. There was some mention in the news articles above that she may have walked into a burglary and the burglar, instead of just taking off, struck her on the head which killed her. What confuses me was the reporting on an electrical cord being found tied around her neck and also to a door. What would be the point of doing that? It would take the burglar extra time and effort, which doesn't really make sense. It makes me wonder if it wasn't just a simple interrupted burglary, although I admit I have no other idea what else could have been going on. So frustrating that it was never solved.
I have some speculation about that. Maybe, if she did walk in on a burglary, the perpetrator tied her neck to the cord and the cord to the door as a form of tying her up so she couldn't run away and call for help.

I feel like he may have killed her because she was either struggling to try and get away, screaming for help or maybe even seeing their face or another piece of identifying evidence. It's the only explanation I know that ties in with the botched burglary theory.

Thanks for finding her death certificate. It lists cerebral trauma and multiple blows to head as cause of death. There was some mention in the news articles above that she may have walked into a burglary and the burglar, instead of just taking off, struck her on the head which killed her. What confuses me was the reporting on an electrical cord being found tied around her neck and also to a door. What would be the point of doing that? It would take the burglar extra time and effort, which doesn't really make sense.
RSBM
I agree. Also, was this family wealthy enough for burglary to be plausible?

The multiple hits to the head, along with the electrical cord indicates to me that the perpetrator(s) was/were
1. very inefficient or inexperienced
2. wanting to inflict pain/death
JMO

Last edited:
RSBM
I agree. Also, was this family wealthy enough for burglary to be plausible?

The multiple hits to the head, along with the electrical cord indicates to me that the perpetrator(s) was/were
1. very inefficient or inexperienced
2. wanting to inflict pain/death
JMO

I don't know what her family did for work but the article says Yee's sisters were away picking spinach, so some of the family members having farmwork jobs may indicate they were not wealthy. Their house was in a standard residential neighborhood of similar houses, but it's not a large house. 1,008 square feet. 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, according to Redfin. The family consisted of 2 parents and 5 kids.

Could this have been a racially motivated murder?

Living here, in the neighboring county, and having lived on the East Coast and at Midwest before, my first thought would be, rather no than yes. Pedophilia-motivated, lonely weirdo-driven, Ted-Bundy-clone-acts-again - yes to all of them, racially motivated - less likely than in other places. This part of the country grew up with the Gold Rush on Alaska, as Seattle was the last major port before Klondike, but even long after that time, it was the area of loosely scattered farmlands. So, detachment, lack of interest to others, god-knows-what-happens-on-the-farm-and-no-one-sees-it, "you don't get it, he's the family" attitude - you see it all here. But historically, West Coast was always closer to Asia, had visible Asian population and plus, there is a certain percentage of Native Americans living here, too. So I'd think, the perpetrator was very likely white, but the trigger would be less her race and more her age. As a petite young woman, a child, in fact, she probably couldn't offer much resistance, so this, too. (((

It used to be a tiny community of Scandinavian origin in the middle of tribal lands. There is the feeling of vastness around it, even now. In the early 80es, with 1600+ population, the chance of it being a local is quite high. Now the settlement is still tiny, but became quite affluent, so the high housing cost might have driven the perpetrator away. I feel that he lived close by.
Surprisingly many churches for such a small place. Do we know if Yee attended a church? She is buried at the Lutheran cemetery. High school and a library nearby. If it is to be assumed that the perpetrator was young and inexperienced, he should be in 55-65 age group now, if he still lives there.

Last edited:
It used to be a tiny community of Scandinavian origin in the middle of tribal lands. There is the feeling of vastness around it, even now. In the early 80es, with 1600+ population, the chance of it being a local is quite high. Now the settlement is still tiny, but became quite affluent, so the high housing cost might have driven the perpetrator away. I feel that he lived close by.
Surprisingly many churches for such a small place. Do we know if Yee attended a church? She is buried at the Lutheran cemetery. High school and a library nearby. If it is to be assumed that the perpetrator was young and inexperienced, he should be in 55-65 age group now, if he still lives there.
Yee was a Cambodian refugee. The way some people were able to escape was to convert. The author of First They Killed My Father was able to leave the refugee camp and come to America with one of her older brothers because they became Christians.

Yee's family might have already been Christians, but it's possible that a congregation sponsored them to come to the US because they converted.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bloocheez
Back