Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m kind of glad that this is a judge-only trial. I think the judge would have enough experience to understand how the police and coroners work and may be able to sort through all of the confusing statements better than perhaps a jury could. I still think there is some strong evidence to come (letters perhaps) but all of these conflicting reports from EMS and the police would make me worried about a hung jury if they had had one.

This is a done deal for me. I don’t think I even need to hear anymore evidence. No reaction by DM from the Police Sargeant witness and the house while his mother is upset and no emotion whatsoever when his dead fathers pictures are put on the screen in the courtroom. Too bad for DM as he does not understand he does not feel emotion and is giving everything away. Plus, in DMs eyes he is “supposed” be to wrongfully convicted in the LB and TB case, what a dumb idiot.

This is a done deal for me. I don’t think I even need to hear anymore evidence. No reaction by DM from the Police Sargeant witness and the house while his mother is upset and no emotion whatsoever when his dead fathers pictures are put on the screen in the courtroom. Too bad for DM as he does not understand he does not feel emotion and is giving everything away. Plus, in DMs eyes he is “supposed” be to wrongfully convicted in the LB and TB case, what a dumb idiot.

I can’t help but think of Dexter when I think of DM....but at least Dexter tried to appear socially normal.

I can’t help but think of Dexter when I think of DM....but at least Dexter tried to appear socially normal.

Never saw Dexter. But DM is going to give tells by his current behaviour. His courtroom behaviour is not supposed to go against him but you can’t help it if you are on the room. Justice Code even said he was “watching” Millard. Psychopaths that have been caught are interesting, they seem like they can’t help giving away their manipulation.

There needs to be some basic coronor and police protocol in every death they attend, even when it seems, at first glance, to be self inflicted. It appears as though no one even checked that the gun involved was registered to the deceased. Police knew that four guns were registered at the address, but did they merely assume the list included the gun found at the scene? Perhaps we shall hear more about this.

For the first time today it occurred to me to wonder if Laura's murder was meant to be practice for Wayne's. So DM could assess what unexpected things might happen in setting up something meant to appear as a self-inflicted gunshot. It could explain a decision to murder Laura on his bed, as the urgent need for a new mattress suggests.

That’s an interesting theory JuneBug

This is my first time posting and I hope I don’t say anything wrong. I have been lurking for too long and wanted to join the conversation.

I had this thought while reading Dark Ambition that Laura was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That DM killed her because in his sick mind A. She was bothering him B. He knew that with her lifestyle LE wouldn’t bother looking for her C. he could test out his incinerator plan for when he stole the truck.

I would have to re-read the book to see why I felt so strongly about that but I remember the thought stopping me in my tracks for a bit.

Also I remember thinking that WM must have wondered about LB. Or why his son needed an incinerator. Maybe WM was onto DM.

This is all my opinion. Really just thoughts I have had about the cases.

That’s an interesting theory JuneBug

This is my first time posting and I hope I don’t say anything wrong. I have been lurking for too long and wanted to join the conversation.

I had this thought while reading Dark Ambition that Laura was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That DM killed her because in his sick mind A. She was bothering him B. He knew that with her lifestyle LE wouldn’t bother looking for her C. he could test out his incinerator plan for when he stole the truck.

I would have to re-read the book to see why I felt so strongly about that but I remember the thought stopping me in my tracks for a bit.

Also I remember thinking that WM must have wondered about LB. Or why his son needed an incinerator. Maybe WM was onto DM.

This is all my opinion. Really just thoughts I have had about the cases.

I also think that WM may have been catching on to what DM was doing. WM had some issues but he was a smart man who cared a lot about his business. I don’t think he was oblivious to DM’s antics.

This CTV report from last night has an image at 27 seconds that thankfully blurs the body but does give an idea to WM's position. If you look at the image it may clear up some of the questions we've had re body placement. IMO it seems as though he is somewhere between on his back and side with his hand moreso than arm off the edge.

Wayne Millard had made plans to celebrate girlfriend's birthday before death, trial hears

Apologies if this has already been posted.

This CTV report from last night has an image at 27 seconds that thankfully blurs the body but does give an idea to WM's position. If you look at the image it may clear up some of the questions we've had re body placement. IMO it seems as though he is somewhere between on his back and side with his hand moreso than arm off the edge.

Wayne Millard had made plans to celebrate girlfriend's birthday before death, trial hears

I really don’t know how he could have shot himself in the eye in that’s position and then dropped the gun over the side of the bed. I thought this video might clear things up but it really doesn’t.

I’m kind of glad that this is a judge-only trial. I think the judge would have enough experience to understand how the police and coroners work and may be able to sort through all of the confusing statements better than perhaps a jury could. I still think there is some strong evidence to come (letters perhaps) but all of these conflicting reports from EMS and the police would make me worried about a hung jury if they had had one.

Yes, the evidence so far hasn't been particularly strong, IMO. It has been presented in a somewhat confusing and disorganized manner, and has seemingly highlighted a bunch of shortcomings and omissions by the TPS in attending the scene and collecting and analyzing evidence... That being said, I understand, that, at the time, it was not deemed to be a crime scene and the death was not deemed suspicious...

The fact that certain pieces of evidence were not analyzed leaves a gap that isn't particularly useful to either side - for example, there is no proof that the black stuff on the pillow was gunshot residue, but then again there is no proof that it was not. We can only assume then that the Crown will tie up these loose ends, which leave all possibilities open, with (stronger) evidence later on. I think the testimonies so far will still be useful to the Crown, though, as they bring to light a bunch of peculiarities, such as DM's unusual (suspicious) behaviour (ie. that he didn't show any emotion), discrepancies in when he said he last saw his father, the fact that he called MB to come over before calling 911, the fact that he already knew about the revolver but hadn't mentioned it, etc...

I really don’t know how he could have shot himself in the eye in that’s position and then dropped the gun over the side of the bed. I thought this video might clear things up but it really doesn’t.

I don't know enough about guns and recoil to know if the position appears to be fitting and suicide being a likely scenario.

ETA: likely from a LE point of view at the time. We spent a lot of time wondering about the bag/gun but in the blurred image on that link you can see how different its placement was from the close up image of the gun.

Last edited:
Prior to the trial starting there was so much talk of DM’s ex being there that night along with DM and MB. So far there hasn’t been anything said at all about her. I can’t remember her name now :(
I remember reading that also that Jen was at the house. Why was she there? There has not been anything said about her being at the house so far.

I also think that WM may have been catching on to what DM was doing. WM had some issues but he was a smart man who cared a lot about his business. I don’t think he was oblivious to DM’s antics.

This lengthy article linked below was written in May, 2013 and presumed accurate, describes the complex history and dynamics of the Millard family. It might be that WM wanted to give his son what he never had, a rewarding and satisfying career to carry on the family tradition in the aviation industry.

I agree, WM had to have become increasingly aware his expectations of DM were unrealistic considering other people noticed.

“In his role as a business development consultant to Millardair’s new Waterloo airport venture, Al Sharif was happy to have only limited contact with Dellen Millard, the boss’s son and the guy in charge of hangar construction. As far as Mr. Sharif and other executives at the company were concerned, Dellen and his red mohawk spelled trouble.

“I thought he was just a spoilt little brat who had his way all his life and didn’t appreciate what his father was doing for him,” said Mr. Sharif. “He was an impediment to the hangar operation” who didn’t meet his deadlines, almost never arrived at work before noon, and refused to clear his collection of cars, jeeps, hot rods, jet skis and personal airplanes from the business premises.....”
Tim Bosma murder suspect, Dellen Millard made surprising decision to dismantle family business

Yes, the evidence so far hasn't been particularly strong, IMO. It has been presented in a somewhat confusing and disorganized manner, and has seemingly highlighted a bunch of shortcomings and omissions by the TPS in attending the scene and collecting and analyzing evidence... That being said, I understand, that, at the time, it was not deemed to be a crime scene and the death was not deemed suspicious...

The fact that certain pieces of evidence were not analyzed leaves a gap that isn't particularly useful to either side - for example, there is no proof that the black stuff on the pillow was gunshot residue, but then again there is no proof that it was not. We can only assume then that the Crown will tie up these loose ends, which leave all possibilities open, with (stronger) evidence later on. I think the testimonies so far will still be useful to the Crown, though, as they bring to light a bunch of peculiarities, such as DM's unusual (suspicious) behaviour (ie. that he didn't show any emotion), discrepancies in when he said he last saw his father, the fact that he called MB to come over before calling 911, the fact that he already knew about the revolver but hadn't mentioned it, etc...

I'm not sure why some people seem to be irked that the testimony is portraying TPS's shortcoming and omissions.

That's the reality of the situation. It was a bad investigation. The Crown can't invent evidence. They have to deal with reality.

And the reality is this was first deemed a suicide. Pillay is going to milk that for every single thing he can just as he's doing. He's a very effective lawyer.

But the Crowns are also really good. They know they can't hide from the truth. They have to put everything on the table to make their case. They can't pretend the screwed-up investigation didn't happen.

Also, the evidence is not really confusing when you're in court. Twitter is great for following certain types of testimony but not so good for the nitty gritty detail stuff.

And remember, this trial is only two days in.

Last edited:
If DM is found guilty does that make the cousin/gf the next in line for the inheritance?

If DM is found guilty does that make the cousin/gf the next in line for the inheritance?
No. There are other closer family members. And his ex-wife is not one of them.

That's assuming there is still an inheritance.

It's just so sad that a man with so much promise ended up living and dying this way. :(

308zcdy.png

This lengthy article linked below was written in May, 2013 and presumed accurate, describes the complex history and dynamics of the Millard family. It might be that WM wanted to give his son what he never had, a rewarding and satisfying career to carry on the family tradition in the aviation industry.

I agree, WM had to have become increasingly aware his expectations of DM were unrealistic considering other people noticed.

“In his role as a business development consultant to Millardair’s new Waterloo airport venture, Al Sharif was happy to have only limited contact with Dellen Millard, the boss’s son and the guy in charge of hangar construction. As far as Mr. Sharif and other executives at the company were concerned, Dellen and his red mohawk spelled trouble.

“I thought he was just a spoilt little brat who had his way all his life and didn’t appreciate what his father was doing for him,” said Mr. Sharif. “He was an impediment to the hangar operation” who didn’t meet his deadlines, almost never arrived at work before noon, and refused to clear his collection of cars, jeeps, hot rods, jet skis and personal airplanes from the business premises.....”
Tim Bosma murder suspect, Dellen Millard made surprising decision to dismantle family business

Ah yes, Mr Sharif. I wonder if he'll be taking the stand to elaborate on WM's state of mind at the time of his death?

No. There are other closer family members. And his ex-wife is not one of them.

That's assuming there is still an inheritance.

What if WM listed MB as his "next in line" after DM in his will?

Ah yes, Mr Sharif. I wonder if he'll be taking the stand to elaborate on WM's state of mind at the time of his death?

Al Sharif never elaborated on Wayne Millard's state of mind.

Also, he's in Austin. I would expect the Crown to call John Barnes, whose name came up yesterday and who was instrumental in getting Sharif his consultant gig.

FWIW Sharif's information has proved 100% accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KatGran