Wayne Millard Murder Trial - Dellen Millard Charged With Murder - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC now18 seconds ago
Court is now seeing an image from the scene where Wayne Millard died, so Sutherland can make one of his points. Sutherland is referring to a line we can see on the pillow, which he says "lines up almost perfectly with the left eyebrow." #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 7s8 seconds ago
Pillay says this is on the "curve of a pillow," and he doesn't know what it would look like when flat. Sutherland says it wasn't created when the pillowcase was flat, so this is the best representation. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
Pillay is now showing a photo of #Millard's body with an arrow superimposed over it, as alternative angled for the way the gun could have been positioned near the pillow. Pillay is suggesting the direction of the gun Sutherland is suggesting does not match the pathology report.

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
Sutherland says he did not study the trajectory of the bullet through Wayne Millard's head. That wasn't part of the consideration for his report. #Millard

Adam Carter‏Verified account @AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
I would also expect a re-examination from the Crown here. After a cross-examination this complex and this long, Cameron will almost certainly have follow up questions. #Millard

With a re-cross from the crown?
Forget that answered above! At least they have the weekend.

That's for sure! I don't think they would be taking out payroll taxes and such for Alimony though. Well...I guess I'm not sure how payroll tax works in Canada.

Income tax is required to be paid on monthly alimony payments, the same rate as employment income, total $60k a year after tax leaves about $45k to my estimation. That’s not a whole lot considering Canada’s high cost of living.

Court is now back in session. Pillay is showing the x-ray of where the bullet was found in Millard's head. Sutherland says it appears to be located in the position that it would be from the gun being placed in the place he believes it was.
by Adam Carter 3:51 PM

095030ec-bf78-4553-8593-0fae73146de7_500.jpg

by Adam Carter 3:52 PM

Pillay is suggesting the orientation of the firearm at the scene "must be wrong." He's suggesting the bullet would have ended up more behind Millard's ear, lower in the head. Sutherland says that's incorrect -- he says the bullet was deformed, so it could have been deflected in some way.
by Adam Carter 3:55 PM

Sutherland says the bullet "must have stuck something to be deformed." Pillay asks where that is in his report. Sutherland says this wasn't part of his report. "Because you missed this, didn't you?" Pilay asks. Sutherland says a trajectory analysis was not done.
by Adam Carter 3:56 PM

"The trajectory of that, inside the head, was not part of this," Sutherland says, about his investigation.
by Adam Carter 3:57 PM

"it didn't enter your mind that you've got the gun pointed in the wrong direction?" Pillay asks, adding there's a problem with Sutherland's evidence. Sutherland says no, he doesn't think there is.
by Adam Carter 3:58 PM

Pillay now asking about the verification of Sutherland's findings. That was done by another Toronto police officer.
by Adam Carter 4:00 PM

The expert got consistent results confirming the theory of the gun orientation every shot he made. In other words, he changed orientation of the gun, made a shot, looked at the pattern. As I read, the patterns were not confusing. They would depend on the gun orientation. His conclusion was that the pattern formed on the pillow was formed by the gun orientation not suitable for a suicide.

Just my opinion, but if I was a juror prior to a guilty verdict I’d definitely want to understand how the not-suicide gun orientation compared the the GSR on the pillow proves how the accused held the gun when he committed the murder.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned — upon the gunshot (either by suicide or murder) is it reasonable that a body would remain in exactly the same position before, during and after? No head or body movement caused by the force of the bullet?

Sutherland says he's the person who contacted this officer to verify his report.
by Adam Carter 4:01 PM

At the time this officer looked over this report, he had never been qualified in court as an expert for shooting reconstruction, Pillay asks. Sutherland agrees, but says he had "significant training."
by Adam Carter 4:03 PM

Sutherland says he "knows him to be a capable person."
by Adam Carter 4:03 PM

I’m having trouble with orientation of the gun. DM and WM were both left handed. I’m not sure how either of them could have shot the gun in the orientation the reconstructionist is suggesting. I posted a link with the video, imagine DM shooting WM with his left hand in that position...

Also, since the reconstructionist did his firing using his right hand. Would that in itself change the soot pattern?

Crime scene reconstructionist tells trial he doesn't believe Wayne Millard shot himself | CBC News

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned — upon the gunshot (either by suicide or murder) is it reasonable that a body would remain in exactly the same position before, during and after? No head or body movement caused by the force of the bullet?

I assume the shot in the head would move it. Though it probably would bounce back due to neck muscles. Maybe a shot in the eye does not leave blood splattered all around. Maybe that was the purpose too to hide how it was done.

Something that's bothered me all along. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, the description given of the way WM was laying when found, it sounds like he was in a very comfortable sleeping position. One would think, if a bullet entered your head via your eye, that would cause some amount of head/body/arm movement. It doesn't seem to line up for me.

Something that's bothered me all along. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly, the description given of the way WM was laying when found, it sounds like he was in a very comfortable sleeping position. One would think, if a bullet entered your head via your eye, that would cause some amount of head/body/arm movement. It doesn't seem to line up for me.
I was also wondering why nothing has been covered in regards to kickback!

Pillay asks if there's a supervisory body that dictates a review of his work. Sutherland says no.
by Adam Carter 4:04 PM

We're now looking at more photos of Wayne Millard's body from the scene.
by Adam Carter 4:09 PM

Pillay is suggesting the blanket that's at Millard's legs was covering Millard's hand when the gun was fired. We have heard that the blanket was moved at the scene. Sutherland says he doesn't think it was covering Millard, because gunshot residue was found on Millard's face and his right hand.
by Adam Carter 4:10 PM

Pillay is asking if he considered the blankets were in play in this scene. Sutherland says he considered any and all straight edged surfaces that may have made a straight line on the pillow.
by Adam Carter 4:11 PM

Just my opinion, but if I was a juror prior to a guilty verdict I’d definitely want to understand how the not-suicide gun orientation compared the the GSR on the pillow proves how the accused held the gun when he committed the murder.

Back on the farm when we slaughtered a beef or hog, they did a lot of kicking and flailing around after they were shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay