Welcome To Websleuths # 2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! Lol.., there is no way I am going to view this site only seeing about four lines per screen! But you are correct, I can see that if I turn it sideways. Is there a way that I can minimize the font size like we used to be able to?
If you turn phone sideways and use two fingers you can reduce the view of the whole post and thus the font size. I don't view in the sideway mode normally, only if I want to see some specific fields like post number, for instance.

Can anybody explain what the "postings" tab on our profile page is showing? It seems to capture a few of our past posts but not the most recent ones...it is odd.

Also, I still find that the search box is not turning up threads that I know exist. I find I have to go on to Google type a case's name and the "websleuths" to get to a thread.

Also, it would be awesome if you could to link back to the 1st thread for "Welcome to websleuths" in the first post of this thread because maybe you covered some of these questions immediately after the re-launch :)
I always search like that with Google as I couldn't work the search in the old forum.

Last edited:
The site seems to be hacked all of the foreign language (Korean) posts are by new posters. I have sent Tricia a message as well.

Ohmigosh this is the first time I've seen the Korean/Chinese posts. What is going on?!

@Tricia Are these spam threads being created? Maybe there should be a minimum number of posts before someone can start a new thread to discourage the spam bots?

All of my Alerts are in a foreign language. And I’m only seeing my Latest Alerts loading??

What is going on with this???

I'm seeing them. On the right lower side of screen (new threads, recent threads, latest replies) - all in foreign characters. If I hit New Posts - most of the threads have them. I thought it had been fixed around noon today but they're all back. Pretty much impossible to peruse the board.

Do you find the alerts helpful or are they just cluttering up the report area? They all seem to be in the 'welcome' area so is it easier for you to find them without the alerts?

I think now that @Tricia is online, she and Dave will take care of them. We probably don't need any new alerts right now. However, we always prefer that members alert if in doubt, so don't feel that you are bothering us at all. It's better to alert than to reply to a questionable thread or post.

I think now that @Tricia is online, she and Dave will take care of them. We probably don't need any new alerts right now. However, we always prefer that members alert if in doubt, so don't feel that you are bothering us at all. It's better to alert than to reply to a questionable thread or post.

It's not so much that I was worried about bothering you, it was purely a worry of cluttering the reports area when there are other posts being reported.

I've modded and admined a forum before, and I had the learning curve of dealing with spam, and being the only admin doing the spam prevention for the forum. I'm also aware that if you don't need the alert then I won't waste my time or yours or clutter your report area, which will have more mods scrolling through, and from what you're saying they don't have the admin permissions to deal with the spam. If it's helpful then it's not a waste of my time, but I don't want a friendly mod answer, I want the true answer :)

It's not so much that I was worried about bothering you, it was purely a worry of cluttering the reports area when there are other posts being reported.

I've modded and admined a forum before, and I had the learning curve of dealing with spam, and being the only admin doing the spam prevention for the forum. I'm also aware that if you don't need the alert then I won't waste my time or yours or clutter your report area, which will have more mods scrolling through, and from what you're saying they don't have the admin permissions to deal with the spam. If it's helpful then it's not a waste of my time, but I don't want a pat mod answer, I want the true answer :)

I understand. Sorry, I probably should defer to @Tricia as to whether she wants every post and every thread alerted on. Yes, you're correct that it clutters the report area of the forum; however, this particular issue is something that the administrators need to handle, not the moderators. I'll let @Tricia give the answer from the admin position after she's done doing spam control. :)

Nothing for over twenty minutes now. Looks like we've survived.

28 new threads posted, all on Welcome to Websleuths.

Last edited:
Nothing for over twenty minutes now. Looks like we've survived.

It would be interesting to know if this is just a phase in spamming and what server it's coming from...considering the political timing.

That there's a URL in there that suggests to me that it is just your average spam bot, but it's an interesting thought that what appears to be a normal spam attack could be disguising a message that "we can disrupt your internet even without using viruses or anything particularly technical".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli