Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct on all points. Guest numbers right now are huge, search is a very server hungry process and search is turned on for guests. Tricia is most likely asleep right now but I went ahead and turned search off for guests, I will face her later. I do need to be clear though that I do not think this will make any kind of magical impact.

You may already know this, but some of the guest numbers reported here seem large (500 at 4am central?) Right now I'm seeing ~1200 bots, which I assume include the big ones like googlebot/bingbot/etc. and internal indexing bots as well.

Does anyone remember if the guest count has been steady between the old board and now, or if it has changed?

It's still a tad slow, but so far the lag is much improved for me.

@WS Admin
I have to take that back. Just after I posted this it took @90 seconds to open the history page, and this is what I got, (see screenshots below) everything on the page was all in one long column (this is not the entire page I see, but most of it -- and it is all from the same opened history page):

Then when I tried to edit I got an edit box with no icons for bold, quotes, etc. screenshot included.

The last screenshot is what I got one of the times I tried to edit this ... no text box to type in.

And then the site went down for about 2 minutes, "server unavailable" 503 error

Hope this is helpful

Attachments

• 4EF8B548-40F0-4547-8A75-AA314B8D069A.png
    4EF8B548-40F0-4547-8A75-AA314B8D069A.png
    292.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 69278D69-8EFC-4598-A330-6977880C7457.png
    69278D69-8EFC-4598-A330-6977880C7457.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 819E88D4-9C69-4067-AE53-79788BC35BE7.png
    819E88D4-9C69-4067-AE53-79788BC35BE7.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 3
  • D4571E0F-9ABB-48CB-9D53-634834770546.png
    D4571E0F-9ABB-48CB-9D53-634834770546.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 4034071C-345D-4EC0-A9A5-FF5C35E9E2F2.jpeg
    4034071C-345D-4EC0-A9A5-FF5C35E9E2F2.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 7E41B9AE-F763-4913-B921-2A4A03DA4E4D.png
    7E41B9AE-F763-4913-B921-2A4A03DA4E4D.png
    362.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone post something similar, so hopefully this isn't a repeat. It took quite a while to load the thread, and once it did load it looked different than usual. I attached screen shots for reference. It's not a big deal as I am sure once I reload it will look normal, but I am not sure what is helpful for Dave to be informed about.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    255 KB · Views: 2
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    312.9 KB · Views: 2
I haven't seen anyone post something similar, so hopefully this isn't a repeat. It took quite a while to load the thread, and once it did load it looked different than usual. I attached screen shots for reference. It's not a big deal as I am sure once I reload it will look normal, but I am not sure what is helpful for Dave to be informed about.

I’ve had this a couple of times yesterday and once today.

I'm confused by this. Where are you seeing these statistics? On my screen it shows 123 robots, 1061 total people.

Thanks

Sidebar. Right now I'm seeing 43.

Bots can do lots of things - board indexing is one (this is what googlebot does, indexing the site so results will hit on Google.) There are also spamming bots. Bots like any other user means the site has a heavier load.

Today issues.

1st thumbnail when attempting to "like' a post in the Madalay Bay shooting post.

2nd thumbnail when i was first attempting to reply to this thread.

Apologies , if necessary; for my previous post here , as i made an attempt at humor to lighten up the situation. No snark at all was intended. I appreciate the hard work that is involved here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180726-093818.jpg
    Screenshot_20180726-093818.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20180726-094058.jpg
    Screenshot_20180726-094058.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 11
BA7629C6-EA38-4BB6-95CD-E8FF699A606C.png
It’s 7:40 a.m. PDT and I just got “an unexpected data base error occurred. Please try again.” So I did, and WS is back. A few minutes before that the above window came up...
FWIW, I’m using an iPad and Safari, but I don’t believe that’s the problem. I have had to run an since before the switch to the new platform, so these issues are not new to me and the fixed it. I hate to take away revenue, but if I’m not able to be here, I can’t see the ads anyway. However, the new slow moving platform can’t be due to ads and must be due to the amount of content IMO.

We should keep bumping Dave’s explanation to each page!

Let me explain, hopefully in very simple terms what is going on and why it is not back to 100% yet.

First off traffic has nearly doubled in the last couple of weeks. While the server is a beast and can certainly handle the increased traffic, it cannot do so "out of the box". things must be "tuned up" to handle this. Now I know you are thinking "well tune the damn thing up and let us move forward", it is not that simple.

In order to find out what changes are beneficial and which are not, these changes must be made 1 at a time. Once a change is made I must restart the database (knocking WS offline for a bit). Once the database restarts it is suggested to let it run untouched for 48 hours. I feel 24 is ok to give me a general idea for now and can proceed with step 2 after this period. Later when things are really close I will let it run for 48 hours just to get the fine fine fine detailing done. during this waiting time (after rebooting the database) it takes time for things to settle, things will not be running at their best. In other words I have to go offline for a bit, followed by a slow down period just in order to speed things up. Then, the next day I make another change and start the process over. This entire process can take from a couple of weeks to a couple of months to get perfected.

Know that we are aware and working on the problem. you can expect small improvements on a daily basis. While I understand your frustrations, there is not a need to repeat the issue in this thread, it is already being worked on.

Where do we go to find our "Warning Points" or "Time-out Point" or "Naughty/Bad Points" or whatever they are called?

I will admit, I had been a little bad, my fault entirely of course, and I got a time-out - rightly so, but it's very frustrating to not be able to find out how many you have... I want to work on what I did wrong and ensure I get rid of the points but, it's making it impossible.

Also, the new site did not tell me that I was on a time-out nor did it tell me how long I was on a time out for, so, where do we find that? Because I had to message the mod directly to find that out.... had he/she not told me, I would have no idea.

Ditto here. Just back from time-out after a “4-Point Warning”...well deserved. But I was not told I was on time-out and I discovered it when I couldn’t post. Nor was I told how long it would be. I have no idea how many points earn a time-out or how long before they drop off. I had no earlier warning that I was approaching a time-out, so I guess 4 points is the naughty number?

@Lilibet I can’t find the post right now because the forum is slow to load but I have read multiple times that one would get a time out once one got 5 points. It’s strange that you would get one with 4 points. Also you are always on point and respectful. I am shocked that you would get any points. (The forum wouldn’t let me quote your post above - weird)

Ditto here. Just back from time-out after a “4-Point Warning”...well deserved. But I was not told I was on time-out and I discovered it when I couldn’t post. Nor was I told how long it would be. I have no idea how many points earn a time-out or how long before they drop off. I had no earlier warning that I was approaching a time-out, so I guess 4 points is the naughty number?
I believe if you click your name on the left side of your post a popup will come that shows your warning points right in the middle of it.

This is something Dave and I have discussed. There should be a way for members to see their points. However the slow loading takes priority right now but we will get to this. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member