Welcome To Websleuths # 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct on all points. Guest numbers right now are huge, search is a very server hungry process and search is turned on for guests. Tricia is most likely asleep right now but I went ahead and turned search off for guests, I will face her later. I do need to be clear though that I do not think this will make any kind of magical impact.

If turning off the search for guests helps then I am all for it.

@Lilibet I can’t find the post right now because the forum is slow to load but I have read multiple times that one would get a time out once one got 5 points. It’s strange that you would get one with 4 points. Also you are always on point and respectful. I am shocked that you would get any points. (The forum wouldn’t let me quote your post above - weird)

Yes, Tricia did post about the warning system in one of her first posts on the first “Welcome” thread, but said not to hold her to the numbers as she wasn’t sure. :) I thought it was 5 too, but never planned to get there. Thanks for your kind words. I try, but this time I allowed a very frustrating situation to send me inappropriately over the edge. :mad:

I believe if you click your name on the left side of your post a popup will come that shows your warning points right in the middle of it.

Thanks Dave. All I see are Trophy points. The warning message came out of the blue, so AFAIK I didn’t have any accrued before the warning/time-out. And I guess the 4 I had have now been removed.

Here’s another issue to throw into the mix. Perhaps it’s been addressed and I haven’t seen it.

I use an standard size iPad. When my reply to a quoted post gets past a certain length, my keyboard covers my typing. Turning my iPad to a vertical position gives me a little more room, but not much. Typing blind isn’t easy. o_O This limitation on space never happened on the old platform.

Another thing that happens even before that point is that I can’t scroll back very far to see the quoted comment or what I’ve written without the screen having convulsions, jerking and refusing to scroll. In fact, the length of this post prevents me from scrolling up or down and the screen jerks when I try.

Is there a line or word limit now imposed that causes this? It forces me to be more concise, but sometimes that isn’t possible. :p

Here’s another issue to throw into the mix. Perhaps it’s been addressed and I haven’t seen it.

I use an standard size iPad. When my reply to a quoted post gets past a certain length, my keyboard covers my typing. Turning my iPad to a vertical position gives me a little more room, but not much. Typing blind isn’t easy. o_O This limitation on space never happened on the old platform.

Another thing that happens even before that point is that I can’t scroll back very far to see the quoted comment or what I’ve written without the screen having convulsions, jerking and refusing to scroll. In fact, the length of this post prevents me from scrolling up or down and the screen jerks when I try.

Is there a line or word limit now imposed that causes this? It forces me to be more concise, but sometimes that isn’t possible. :p

I've found when that convulsive jittering starts on my ipad I can close my windows (without exiting the forum; just push the big home screen button) and then tap the safari button. All my windows re-open as they were and I can continue typing. Maybe it will help you, too, Lilibet.

That is just a nuance of using a touch screen.

Thanks Dave. But I never had any of this happen on the old platform and I’ve always used an iPad (I’ve had this one since before the switch). So I really do think there must be something else going on causing the keyboard to cover the reply box and the jerking/refusal to scroll. But fixing the slow site should clearly take priority over researching this annoyance. :)

<modsnip: removed quoted post that was unapproved>

If the statement regarding cookies does not apply to you, feel free to ignore it.

Regarding the rest of it, I think I made it very clear (others seem to have understood it just fine) that it is an issue that I am working on.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found when that convulsive jittering starts on my ipad I can close my windows (without exiting the forum; just push the big home screen button) and then tap the safari button. All my windows re-open as they were and I can continue typing. Maybe it will help you, too, Lilibet.

Thanks, Spelly. Do you mean close every singlewindow tab across the top of my screen (even non-WS ones)? Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean. That seems extreme, and I have them there for a good reason. Ugh. I’ve never, ever had this problem before on WS, except on this new platform. I don’t post on other sites, so I don’t know if it’s a common problem elsewhere.

Thanks, Spelly. Do you mean close every singlewindow tab across the top of my screen (even non-WS ones)? Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you mean. That seems extreme, and I have them there for a good reason. Ugh. I’ve never, ever had this problem before on WS, except on this new platform. I don’t post on other sites, so I don’t know if it’s a common problem elsewhere.

No, do not close any of your open tabs (windows). Do you know what I mean by press your home key? The big main button that takes you to the main screen. It's a slight depressed circle in the black border top (or bottom) of your ipad. Just press that. Then from the main home screen, click your safari button and you should see all your tabs still there.

More questions? Feel free to message me and I will give you screenshots of exactly how I do it,

Maybe this will help. I screenshot an ipad and marked #1 and 2 for the 1=home button, 2=safari

Attachments

• 3D0506C3-631A-4A41-89CA-65CEF3AF6652.jpeg
    3D0506C3-631A-4A41-89CA-65CEF3AF6652.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 7
If the statement regarding cookies does not apply to you, feel free to ignore it.

Regarding the rest of it, I think I made it very clear (others seem to have understood it just fine) that it is an issue that I am working on.

Bumping your explanation. Some probably haven’t seen it.

Welcome To Websleuths # 3

The Mollie Tibbett's case is a huge draw on Websleuths. I believe that could be part of the reason why we are seeing high guest numbers

IA - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

That could very well be it.

Thanks for the hard work, Dave. It's hard to describe how difficult optimization is - but for most companies that I have worked at, the best and brightest are more likely to be working under the covers to make things fast and efficient.

No, do not close any of your open tabs (windows). Do you know what I mean by press your home key? The big main button that takes you to the main screen. It's a slight depressed circle in the black border top (or bottom) of your ipad. Just press that. Then from the main home screen, click your safari button and you should see all your tabs still there.

More questions? Feel free to message me and I will give you screenshots of exactly how I do it,

LOL. Yes, I do know where my home key is. :D I thought you mean close all your windows and THEN press the home key. You meant pressing the home key would close the windows. Got it. Not enough coffee yet!

Everything’s seems in perfect running order for me now, thank you!

If anyone sees a little pop-up on the bottom of their screen asking the user to accept Websleuths cookies, make sure to click “yes” even if your Preferences are already set to accept cookies.

Is it just me or have things been much improved for the last hour or so? Any major slow downs been noticed?

Better. No major slowdowns. The blue line hesitates only briefly before opening the window. Thanks!

LOL. Yes, I do know where my home key is. :D I thought you mean close all your windows and THEN press the home key. You meant pressing the home key would close the windows. Got it. Not enough coffee yet!

Pass the coffee! I 'm not the best at explaining, I did add the screenshot, but I think you got it now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader