What makes the JBR case fascinating to you?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
These "mothers" need barbie dolls NOT kids.It's sick.It's another money making machine though and that's why nobody puts an end to it.Rich,bored people like it.
Disgusting.

These "mothers" need barbie dolls NOT kids.It's sick.It's another money making machine though and that's why nobody puts an end to it.Rich,bored people like it.
Disgusting.

Can we say some rich people here? Not all. I would also guess that most of these girls come from middle class mothers that aspire to be in the high class category.

I also know of some families that have their girls in pageants that aren't quite so bad. But when I see those costumes like shown above with Eden, it is quite sick.

I agree- while some of these kids' families are wealthy, most are not. Some seem to even be low-income, yet struggle to spend every spare dime or go into debt to keep these kids in the circuit. I think they hope to strike pay dirt one day. You can find these expensive pageant dresses for sale on eBay. And the moms sell them to each other sometimes when their daughters outgrow them.

Child Beauty Pageants are largely foreign to us here in Australia, but there are some about.
I also note that the young girl in question here seems to be heading our way.

When I think about these sorts of things I think of;

- Weak father
- Domineering mother who either was popular in school but never really achieved much after that and either gained weight or lost her looks (for PR, substitute getting sick as well)
- A child who is destined to do the same thing as the mother.

I'm unaware of any child beauty queen types who I'm currently talking about who aren't at this very moment STILL a child beauty queen or dead.

It isn't a path to fame and fortune.
It isn't a path to an enduring legacy.
It isn't a path to future proofing your self-confidence, probably the contrary.
It isn't admired by anyone other than people who perhaps, deep down know that they could probably be giving the child more meaningful attention and support if they weren't in the superficial world of pageantry.

Every time I think of pageants and the garbage images they thrust onto young children I think of four words a child should never have to think let alone say.

Four words which may have been meaningless in the context in which they were said, or they may have been more critical in our JBR chats...

"I don't feel pretty"

Spot on, wonderllama! The lady I was speaking of was an only child from a family with lots of money. Very popular in high school and went on to marry the quarterback only to gain a huge amount of weight after the birth of her daughter. It's quite obvious to everyone that the child will follow in the footsteps of her mother (I sincerely hope not, though). With all the attention being lavished on this child, it's surely going to be a long way to fall when she realizes that she is only ordinary. For this I will blame BOTH her parents.

How creepy is it that child beauty pageant involvement has actually increased substantially since JonBenet's death? Before her murder, no one even knew about child pageants but now there are TV shows about them (Little Beauties, Little Miss Perfect, Toddlers and Tiaras), movies (Little Miss Sunshine), and pageant moms make the national news once in a while when they really go overboard. I have to wonder how big of an involvement the Ramsey case had on pageants in the media. Putting makeup and risque costumes on a 6-year-old is obviously inappropriate, but when one of those 6-year-olds was murdered in a high profile case, it adds an extra sensationalism to them.

Eden looks like an Anna Nicole Smith in training. And we all know how that ended.
I don't like to see too much governmental (via laws) control over what a parent wishes to have their child participate in (with the exception of drug use and *advertiser censored*) but like with everything else - Little League, Soccer, Gymnastics, Ballet- some parents will always push it to the extreme to the detriment of the child.
These kids all have similar kinds of parents- the parent wants to see big $$$ come their way, and envision they have a "celebrity" in the making.
Celebre-tots like Eden can never recoup a lost childhood, and though she seems like she is loving dressing up, being surrounded with toys and other perks, she may have a hard landing one day IF and when she is no longer a child sensation if she even ever goes as far as becoming a "star". Sometimes they grow up pretty, sometimes they don't. When they don't it is a harsh awakening for them and these poor kids find themselves where they went "wrong". They didn't. Their parents did.
What I found especially sad in looking at Eden's photos is that her obviously photo-shopped pictures resemble her, but are NOT her. In person, her eyes are not the big "doll" eyes in the photos and her pretty blonde hair is just that- blonde hair. Not the big, overdone fake hairpiece - look she sports in pageants. It is almost like her pageant look is a 'costume" she puts on her BODY, and I don't mean clothing or outfits. I mean the hairpieces, flipper teeth, makeup, etc. And now it seems botox is he "thing" to do. Why can't these sweet girls just be accepted for what they are? It is as if they just aren't good enough, pretty enough, they way they are. And at age 4, 5, 6, 8 it is SO sad. It is sad at any age.
yes,it's very very sad!!! it's one thing to grow up and decide to wear makeup and what not..but another to have parents who treat you as if your natural appearance is not good enough.

I agree- while some of these kids' families are wealthy, most are not. Some seem to even be low-income, yet struggle to spend every spare dime or go into debt to keep these kids in the circuit. I think they hope to strike pay dirt one day. You can find these expensive pageant dresses for sale on eBay. And the moms sell them to each other sometimes when their daughters outgrow them.

I can't help but recall the stories I've heard about Britney Spears's mother, Lynn: how she spent every dime they had, to the point where the family had to go without FOOD at times, taking her daughters to auditions and the like.

And look how THAT turned out.

These pageants are the legal version of child *advertiser censored*, and anyone who would subject their child to them probably isn't playing with a full deck.

Every time I think of pageants and the garbage images they thrust onto young children I think of four words a child should never have to think let alone say.

Four words which may have been meaningless in the context in which they were said, or they may have been more critical in our JBR chats...

"I don't feel pretty"

Yes, wonderllama.

'Pretty' isn't really an ability.

Fembot vs feminist philosophy.
Child pageants are billion dollar industry.

IMO, it's akin to some kinda syndrome by proxy.
And ya, I have noted that the standards and image for participation are not often reflected in the participant's mother's own grooming or presentation.

Pageant Stars.
http://pageantstarsusa.blogspot.com/p/books-dvds.html

I agree with DeeDee, just my opinion, but there are way more productive activities available for chilren that are beneficial for child development. Those little girls look clownish, more like Tammy Faye Bakker
than Shirley Temple.

The "JonBenet" tribute on that pageant page is disturbing. Obviously they wouldn't be playing up any pageant link with her death. But "aspiring child dead beauty queen" shouldn't be anyone's dream for their child.

The "JonBenet" tribute on that pageant page is disturbing. Obviously they wouldn't be playing up any pageant link with her death. But "aspiring child dead beauty queen" shouldn't be anyone's dream for their child.

I don't think they were telling anyone that they should aspire to be a "dead child beauty queen". It mentions that JonBenet's the most well known of all pageant kids but they point out that it was a horrific tragedy that made her famous. I'm sure most pageant moms would love for their child to get the amount of media attention JonBenet got, but I don't think any of them want their kid to die to achieve it. I'm surprised the pageant even mentions JBR as most of them try to separate themselves as much as possible from her death.

I don't think they were telling anyone that they should aspire to be a "dead child beauty queen". It mentions that JonBenet's the most well known of all pageant kids but they point out that it was a horrific tragedy that made her famous. I'm sure most pageant moms would love for their child to get the amount of media attention JonBenet got, but I don't think any of them want their kid to die to achieve it. I'm surprised the pageant even mentions JBR as most of them try to separate themselves as much as possible from her death.

You don't actually think I meant they wanted their kids to be dead, did you? My point was why anyone would want their child to aspire to have anything to do with that world in light of JB's tragic end.

You don't actually think I meant they wanted their kids to be dead, did you? My point was why anyone would want their child to aspire to have anything to do with that world in light of JB's tragic end.

People didn't stop letting their kids walk home from school w/o an adult after Somer Thompson's murder, they didn't stop their kids from playing outside w/o supervision after Samantha Runnion's murder, so I'm not surprised that moms still enter their daughters in child beauty pageants after JonBenet's murder. Her murder exposed pageants to much of the country, and although most people were disgusted by them, there were people who saw them on TV and went to enter their kids, as pageant participation increased massively after JBR's death.

People didn't stop letting their kids walk home from school w/o an adult after Somer Thompson's murder, they didn't stop their kids from playing outside w/o supervision after Samantha Runnion's murder, so I'm not surprised that moms still enter their daughters in child beauty pageants after JonBenet's murder. Her murder exposed pageants to much of the country, and although most people were disgusted by them, there were people who saw them on TV and went to enter their kids, as pageant participation increased massively after JBR's death.

I know it did, and I find that appalling. Yes, many kids do still walk home from school. Parents have no choice sometimes. But if there was a safe alternative, parents would choose it. The pageants is an elective activity. School is not.
Look, there is nothing wrong with cute kids enjoying dressing up in fancy clothes and singing and dancing for an audience, whether they are competing or not. It is the way the pageants (as opposed to say, a dancing school recital) that plays up the "Lolita" aspect of these LITTLE girls. It's the pageant culture that is a problem.
It's the MOTHERS. It's the MOTHERS.

And here we go again. A little boy, about 6 years old, was found dead on a roadside in Maine. He was identified as Texas resident Camden Pierce Hughes. His MOTHER admitted giving him an overdose of medicine (familiar, CA?). Her BOYFRIEND claims to know nothing about it. I am SO sick of mothers with boyfriends killing their kids so they can be "free". Just GIVE the child to someone. Someone would have loved that beautiful little boy. Caylee, too. Someone would have LOVED her enough not to kill her to get her out of the way. These precious kids had to have grandparents, aunts, uncles...someone who would have taken them in so their "mothers" (and I use the term advisedly) could be free.
Just like it always does..the truth comes out a little at a time. There'll be more on this case.

I have grandsons around that age. I simply cannot fathom someone killing their baby and leaving them like a dead animal on the side of the road. I mean, did she not think someone would FIND him? Here's the "clue" it was a parent: he was wrapped in a blanket and wearing his little jacket. Leaving the child's body where it will be found and wrapping it are BIG indicators a parent was involved. Sound familiar? Right.
What does this tell us? That parents, MOMMIES, can and DO kill their children.

What makes this case so interesting to me is that it is so obvious JBR parents covered up who really killed her and they have gotten away with murder all because the DA office in Boulder didn't have enough backbone to charge them because they had money. Just another example of why people say money is the root of all evil. GOD bless her and may she RIP and one day have justice for her premature death.

These pageants are the legal version of child *advertiser censored*, and anyone who would subject their child to them probably isn't playing with a full deck.

Heyya SD.

I think it may be this deck?
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TTYbHBwBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Playing-Cards-Design-Decks/dp/B000VR54JE&h=300&w=300&sz=14&tbnid=dJ-F4Qm5vBtF3M:&tbnh=116&tbnw=116&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dbarbie%2Bplaying%2Bcards%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=barbie+playing+cards&hl=en&usg=__o-pjL-AzrrhoT8C8dQB9Q7Ecjqg=&sa=X&ei=gmjVTeGUMeHc0QHz3I2UDA&ved=0CDwQ9QEwBA

ty madeleine. Thought provoking article, but I'll keep my thoughts to myself! lol.

"Alas, my longtime contestant is not a high-school dropout stripper who is pregnant with her second child while struggling to pay her rent. Instead, she is college-bound, awesome, and your POTUS 2036."

"I am not ashamed to proclaim loud and proud that I am a proponent of children's pageantry. Indeed, I have enjoyed this activity with all of my girls and it churns my stomach when our fun little hobby is attacked by morons who know little about the hard work that goes into competition and nothing about the benefits reaped by participants."

"Pageant parents have been accused of everything from being abusive because of the makeup and tanning involved, to training our daughters for a life of debauchery on a stripper pole."

"The Catholic Church believes that pageants for little girls are a magnet for pedophiles. Really? It seems to me that my children are more at risk for seduction while giving confession than while on stage competing for trophies and a tiara."

"To insinuate that we tart up our babies (or worse, inject them with toxins) for the pleasure of the lowest human scum in society is beyond insulting and begs for a smackdown that would make Jerry Springer proud."

"our fun little pastime"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RainbowYarnSlueth
Back