What steps should be taken to protect kids from being left in a car.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe in "forgotten baby syndrome". I went back to work when my son was 6 weeks old due to financial necessity at the time. My husband and I always managed to get him to and from daycare safely and soundly. Even though we have spent most of his life working until late in the evening (currently 12:30pm-9pm) we were never too tired or stressed to forget him. Millions of parents work full time and take our children to daycare and our children make it safely from the car to home and daycare every single day. Oh and my son rear faced in a convertible car seat until 3. I've heard extended rear facing seats used as an excuse forgetting a child. They aren't. My son is 4 now and in a forward facing seat with a five point harness. Helping him get strapped into his car seat is the first thing we do when we get in the car and helping him out of his seat is the first thing we do when we get out. As a working mother it baffles my mind how a child could ever be forgotten. At my previous job where I worked from the time he was 8 months old until a year ago, there were nights I was so stressed about my job I cried the entire way home. My son was still safely picked up from daycare and brought from the car into our apartment. Your child has to be the priority no matter how stressed or tired you are.

My car (keyless ignition) has a warning sound that goes off when I attempt to lock the door when the fob is inside. There could be some way to use this technology to sound an alarm when the car is locked from the outside when the carseat buckle is still buckled.

I don't believe in forgotten baby syndrome either. In over 16 years I've never forgotten my child in a car. It's a total alien concept to me. I think parents who leave their children in cars should be punished, and punished severely. That would make them remember.

Just today my daughter accidentally forgot her baby in her car in our driveway. She drove up here from Georgia with her 3 small children (to Michigan) for a visit. Today she parked her car in our driveway and brought in the 2 preschoolers. She was in our bathroom talking on the phone and I didn't see the 18 month old baby. So, I asked my grandson where his little brother was. My daughter yelled from the bathroom, "Oh my gosh, I forgot and left him in the car!" Luckily, the weather is cool here but not cold and the baby was peacefully sleeping. He didn't even know he'd been left alone.

I don't believe in forgotten baby syndrome either. In over 16 years I've never forgotten my child in a car. It's a total alien concept to me. I think parents who leave their children in cars should be punished, and punished severely. That would make them remember.

It's important to keep in mind that just because something hasn't happened to you personally, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen to anyone. I think we'd all do well to remember that more often. The brain is an organ like the heart, kidney, lungs etc--they're all fallible.

I just wanted to share with you all that I have been in contact with TWO different app developers who have developed apps for your phones to use gps and alarm, scheduling features to help prevent kids from being left in cars. They are pretty ground-breaking. I write a column for the examiner.com site in gadgets in tech on social media, etc apps, yada yada and reviewed them.

Such a huge step forward. Something anyone can use just to add an extra layer of safety. I also saw that evenflo has a carseat on sale at walmart (exclusive deal for the first year) - that works with your cars alarm system if baby is left in the car.

I am SO hopeful that we can eventually eradicate any sweet little muffin from going through what our little angel Cooper (RIP little guy, such a sweetheart) went through. The agony that he went through- ugh- no child should ever have to suffer.

I think it can be done. Let's hope. (and if anyone wants the names of the apps message me and ill send you the link to the reviews I did so you can check it out before hand or share it for interested parties!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper