Who Is Entitled To A Right To Privacy?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If I valued my privacy I would appear circumspectly in public.

Swinging haammers, accusing anyone and everyone, vilifying anyone who offers aid and comfort, uttering outrageous statements, appearing on multiple talk shows, requesting donations for a very restricted search, manipulating facts, degrading LE, hiring a lawyer who appears daily to state your case in public, surrounding yourself with very public and dubious characters, destroying property,...none of these things seem to lend themselves to suggest a desire for privacy. If the Anthony family desired privace a simple 'No Comment' or' Please help in the search for our grand daughter' or a simple 'thank you kindly' would have worked wonders, attracted abundant assistance, and engendered sympathy.

You cannot demand attention at the top of your lungs one minute because it serves your purpose and then yell to be left alone the next and expect the whole world to follow your wishes.

If you choose to make a public spectacle of yourself than you must expect the public to comment. The Anthonys made their choices. It is what it is.

Do I have sympathy for their loss? Yes I do.

Do I hate the Anthonys? No I do not.

Do I wish them pain or more suffering? No I do not.

Do I believe they should be investigated for wrongdoing? Yes I do?

Do I believe they should be required to follow the laws of the land just as everyone must? Yes I do.

Do I believe they should be punished, if it is proven in a court of law, that they have broken said laws? Yes I do.

Do I think that they rate a 'free pass' because their daughter is accused of killing their grand daughter? No I do not.

Caylee had the right to a long and happy life.

As usual, the preceeding post is only my opinion.

Brilliantly put..........may I agree with you!

I am so sick of the A's I could spit. It is a deposition not a medical test, and I think it is Morgans work product not the other lawyers, he can do what he wants with it, IMO. However I don't know the case law on that conclusion I have made.lol
I feel if they refuse to answer their subpoena, arrest them all for contempt and throw them in jail. Enough is enough!
If the witch is so innocent what are they afraid of? They wouldn't know the truth if it bit them. The civil suit is important and should be treated as such, if they don't like it, tough. It is time to move foward with all the cases, it is time to treat Caylee with the dignity she deserves, not protecting the adults in this sordid affair. :furious:

Yes we all have the right to privacy EVEN if someone talks. If a person shares part of their life that part may no longer be private since they shared the information, however this doesn't give us the right to scrutinize their every move or dig deeper into their lives and bring out things that they DID NOT share with the public. They are not on trial.

As for them not being concerned about their privacy at the time, you hit it right on the nail! WHY would they be concerned at the time? I seriously doubt they were concerned that their whole life would be criticized or scrutinized. Their immediate goal was to get Caylee's face and name out there not to have their whole life ripped apart by people who don't even know them. I never agreed that their actions were smart, but I won’t sit here and say they deserve the ridicule and hatred that they have received. The focus should be on Casey, she is the one who caused all of this and unfortunately she is probably relishing in the fact that everyone is ridiculing her family (poor me, this is their fault because they didn't raise me right, blah blah blah)

privacy is not a right, it is a privilege we bestow upon ourselves by our actions and words. it is a concept that is respected by others based upon how we conduct ourselves in public. the anthony's did not concern themselves as much with getting caylee's picture out there as they did making their own appearances. if getting her picture out there was important to them, why did suddenly getting her picture out there mean they got a limo ride and there was a price tag attached? if finding the kidnapper was important, why no national plea for caylee's return?

privacy is a privilege, not a right.

Everyone has the right to privacy however I get a bad taste in my mouth when a day or two after the report of Caylee is missing and you invite the local media into your home and sit on the floor in front of Caylee's bed. Or when you invite the "national" media into your home and take a tour of your house. Or use the media to ones advantage and then blame them for following you around.

As far as I can tell, the media hasn't bothered the Anthony's for quite sometime. The last great media coverage of the Anthony's was when Casey was arrested back on October 14th with the famous exchange of Casey from one car to another.

ITA. Perhaps Cindy started out her media dance with the intentions of publicizing the search for a live Caylee but, as I've said before, I feel she fast became seduced by the notoriety and began to behave in a most inappropriate way, dragging George along behind her. The example that sticks in my mind was their appearance at Blanchard Park when LP was searching with the divers. There was absolutely no point in going there, except to put on a public display. You reap what you sow. She has now withdrawn from the public eye, and the media have responded accordingly.

LE warned her of the dangers of becoming too closely involved with the media in one of the taped interviews, and how right they were. As far as the depositions - the protocol for civil law should be followed for the A's, just as for anyone else.

Everyone in the U.S. is entitled to privacy to some extent, but when the As went to the media for assistance in locating their granddaughter, they waived their right to privacy. If I were missing a loved one, I would follow in the footsteps of the Smart and Klaas families. I would call 911, yes I would go to the media if they could help, I would submit myself for every exam known to eliminate myself as a suspect, anything to put the focus solely on finding a missing loved one. My privacy would be my last concern.
RK has a right to privacy, although with as much as has been revealed about him, what else could there be?
The little girl in the photo at the Florida Mall deserves privacy as does her family.
ZFG deserved privacy until she put herself up against KC in a lawsuit, which by the way, I do not find to be a frivilous lawsuit. The U.S. has laws against slander and libel, and the day KC lied blaming ZFG for kidnapping her child, she committed slander against ZFG. How would any of us feel to be yet another hapless victim of KC's?

DH and I laughed everytime we took our kids for a public outing last summer, because our daughter, who looks very similar to Caylee, was sure to get some hard stares from people, and she did. No one ever inquired, but we saw the looks and the whispers. If someone had plastered her images allover the media, that would have been an invasion of her privacy, and although we would not have been happy, we would not have sued someone for earnestly searching for a missing little girl.
When you invite LE into your homes or your lives, either by neccessity or choice, a certain amount of your privacy goes straight out the window. Sadly, RK, ZGF, and all the other innocent players who were sucked into this fiasco have had their entire life's stories put out for all of us, even Sheriff Beary's family's personal situation has been written about.
Now it seems, this crazy case is bringing to light the fact that in a criminal defense case, no one's right to privacy is respected. We vilify the witnesses, question the credibility of citizens who locate human remains and evidence, while respecting the privacy of others who want their testimony kept secret. You must hire an attorney to defend your very right to privacy that we are afforded by our Constitution. Seems like maybe one should retain an attorney prior to dialing 911 with any information regarding anything. I hope MN or someone like him steps up to represent RK.
If the As want their depositions kept secret, I say let the Supreme Court decide if they are entitled to any privacy. Although if past history is any example, the As will insist that the Supreme Court is wrong, the Constitution is wrong, we are all wrong. After all, their attorney is working probono, while RK and other innocent victims are footing their own legal bills to defend themselves against pure evil while KC sits in jail, still creating havoc for innocent people, enjoying her snacks, transistor radio, sketch pad and playing cards, all while her defense is being paid for by a felon.

what george and cindy did in the months prior to LE finding Caylee's body down the road is under the bridge. they are now conducting themselves in the manner everyone wished they would. the anthony's have been out of the spotlight for nearly 2 months now. they have their privacy.

but for general discussion, i do not feel discussing whatever they may have done this whole time as an invasion of their privacy for the sole purpose that what they have done in the public eye has a direct correlation to the case of the murder of their granddaughter and it weighs heavily in my assessment of that case. standing on their lawn with picket signs, sending hate mail, or harassing them as they go in and out of their home for regular daily life issues is all off limits, in my book.
they deserve privacy in as much as they stay private, just like any other citizen. since they've been out of the spotlight for almost 2 months now, if they could only convince their attorney that they have privacy.....

I disagree.

They are still pushing for special treatment- a private, untaped meeting with Casey to memorialize Caylee.

A bracelet was found hidden in the clothing Casey wore to court last week. It wasn't included in the bag that contained the clothing. It was hidden in a sock in a blatant attempt to sneak it in- which is against jail rules. I believe Baez has attributed this little trick to Cindy.

In addition to their attorney needing to shut up, the Anthonys need to abide by the law and respect the rules without expecting special concessions to be made for them.

If their lawyer is behind this, they need to get him under control or find a new one.

They will not fade into obscurity if they continue to rock the boat.

Interestingly, the original constitution contains no express right to privacy. The Bill of Rights protects specific privacy rights, none of which I see being violated in this case:

(1) Privacy of beliefs (1st Amendment). The Anthonys are free to hold whatever beliefs they wish. We are free to hold whatever beliefs we have about their beliefs.

(2) Privacy of the home against demands that it be used to house soldiers (3rd Amendment). Nobody is infringing on their rights to exclude from their home whomever they wish.

(3) Privacy of the person and possessions as against unreasonable searches (4th Amendment). As far as I've seen, all searches of the Anthonys persons, home and possessions have been conducted in accordance with due process.

(4) Privilege against self-incrimination, which provides protection for the privacy of personal information (5th Amendment). Every single one of the Anthonys is exquisitely aware of their 5th amendment rights and I've seen no infringement upon those rights in this case. Quite the contrary in fact - I, for one, wish they'd have exercised their silence option 6 months ago rather than make the rounds of every media show they could worm themselves into.

Nobody has violated the Anthonys' privacy rights by restricting their beliefs or their speech about their beliefs, invading their home or persons without due process, or waterboarding them to tell the truth. As for depositions, they are part of legal proceedings and, as such, part of the public record.

The Anthonys can blame Casey for all of this - it all comes home to roost with her. She could have ended this circus before it began, by anwering truthfully the questions asked of her about the whereabouts of her two-year old daughter. Since Casey refused, and still refuses, to set the matter straight, the authorities and the public have no option but to question everybody and everything remotely connected to her or Caylee Marie's murder. In the process, many people have had their private lives opened to scrutiny and many people's lives have been changed forever. That lies at Casey's door and is just one more heinous thing she is directly responsible for in a long line of many.

They want privacy yet who was the first one to inform everyone that GA was out of the hospital and that Cindy picked him up to take him home and he would be doing out patient therapy? Their own attorney!!

And regarding GA's hospitalization and the press being on site at the hospital- I drive by that hospital on a regular basis- at least five times per week. In fact, I was at that hospital on Saturday.

There has been no throng of reporters or media trucks- it has been relatively quiet and business as usual.

I disagree.

They are still pushing for special treatment- a private, untaped meeting with Casey to memorialize Caylee.

A bracelet was found hidden in the clothing Casey wore to court last week. It wasn't included in the bag that contained the clothing. It was hidden in a sock in a blatant attempt to sneak it in- which is against jail rules. I believe Baez has attributed this little trick to Cindy.

In addition to their attorney needing to shut up, the Anthonys need to abide by the law and respect the rules without expecting special concessions to be made for them.

If their lawyer is behind this, they need to get him under control or find a new one.

They will not fade into obscurity if they continue to rock the boat.

oh, i agree with you on these new little antics. the anthony's do act like they believe rules are meant to be bent to their will. but so far, we don't actually see them doing these things. we have LE saying they will talk to baez who says it wasn't him, it was cindy. we hear from their attorney that they want a private service hookup in jail but we don't hear them saying it. they have once removed themselves. they aren't on the lawn making hammertime. they aren't on LKL and GMA and the Today show. yet.

ITA the press had NO business camping outside thier home for so long . im suprised they didnt bug the inside of the house for a story ..and as much as i adore caylee and feel sadness for her death there are so so many other children out there that could be alive and DO need the coverage that they dont get . imho they shouldve been out there doing stories on other children instead of camping there night after night .

That is how the press acts when it's working on an on going story. This is just a story, they didn't change rules, etc. The only difference is that we are paying attention to what the press is doing on this one.

The A's would put on a show out side their home. No telling when that show would happen, or what it would be. That is why the news crew stayed so long at their place.

privacy is not a right, it is a privilege we bestow upon ourselves by our actions and words. it is a concept that is respected by others based upon how we conduct ourselves in public. the anthony's did not concern themselves as much with getting caylee's picture out there as they did making their own appearances. if getting her picture out there was important to them, why did suddenly getting her picture out there mean they got a limo ride and there was a price tag attached? if finding the kidnapper was important, why no national plea for caylee's return?

privacy is a privilege, not a right.

Again I'll say it ... I agree they didn’t always make the best judgment when it came to speaking about this and their behavior at times were questionable, but I do not believe for one second that their motive behind all of this was to become celebrities or to make money. They did not ask for this to happen and although they didn’t handle it the way many of us would have liked, it doesn’t give us the right to ridicule there every move or dig into their family secrets if it does not pertain to this case. I'm sure they wish more than anyone in the world that this never happened and that they could go back and change everything. They loved, cared for and knew Caylee more than any of us; this was their flesh and blood, their grandchild. This isn’t just a story in the news for them, they don't just feel a connection to all of this, this is their LIFE.

Public figures don't have a right to privacy. Politicians, Movie Stars, etc. We all know that. Some of it's because of the relationship they have with the media. They NEED the media. THey need to keep their name out there.

Once you become a "Public" figure, reporting what you do, it's like two neighbors gossiping.

Because of what their Daughter did and how she acted, it opened the Door for the A's to become public figures. If they had done the "Please return our baby to us" stuff and stayed out of it, they would not have become a "Public Figure." But these folks used the media for Star doom. As mentioned about Cindy enjoying the chase. They went on shows in order to try and sway the public about their Daughters case. Not to find the baby.

The non-privacy issue, that is the 'cost' of their star doom. Cindy didn't think ahead when she was using the media. Just like JB didn't think ahead when he treated the media in a nasty way.

So this whole thread is a non-issue to me. It's just the way it goes. It's expected. I don't agree with it. What I thought this thread was going to be about, is those that unexpectedly lost their right. Like those who called in tips. Granted, the accused has a right to face his/her accuser. But calling in a tip of where possible evidence is, isn't someone who is accusing. Just someone who found something. If that is all it takes to become a 'public person', I'm kinda Leary about calling in.

the posts on this thread have been so well thought out and verbalized, especially Paintr's and Nancy Botwin's. I am going to focus on just one aspect of the the privacy question, if you will indulge me. I have been trying like crazy to find a civil case to compare with the ZFG lawsuit and KC's counter suit. The closest I can find is when OJ was sued in Civil Court. NOw that was a long time ago, and I am not sure OJ was deposed by the Plaintiff's attorney. I do not remember the attorney stating he was going to allow the media to record the deposition.

I really have a problem with John Morgan conducting the depositions in the manner he is proposing - a mock courtroom and while 'technically the media is not invited, it will be a public proceeding' - according to an article on MyFoxOrlando, this morning. I have NEVER heard of something like this before, and was curious to hear what any of our 'WS legal eagles' think of it.

As much as I like that John Morgan has taken on ZFG's case, he is doing his own part to make this even more circus like. Obviously, this is way outside the norm for depositions in a civil suit - and I have to say, I don't like that he is attempting to do things this way. I think this goes way beyond our right to know - we will find out the results of the depostions because John Morgan will make da*n sure we do. I don't think there is any need to humiliate GA, CA or even LA this way. Yes, humiliate because you know whoever deposes them is not going to do it in a kind or gentle way. I will not debate whether they are entitled to kindness based on their previous behavior - that debate could go on for pages and pages, I just think that in this particular arena, narrowly focused only on the depositions in this civil suit; they deserve to have their depositions taken in the same manner other depositions taken by the Morgan & Morgan law firm were handled - this is only my opinion. If this is, in fact, the way Morgan & Morgan handle ALL their depositions, then so be it - but somehow I don't think so.

I also don't think people who give interviews have given up their rights to privacy. If I see Cher in concert and enjoy an interview she gave on the Tonight Show, that doesn't give me the right to go to her home, or go into her trash or follow her to her sister's house. Wasn't Princess Diana's death enough of a reminder that invasion of privacy has gone too far?

JoAnn_W

I agree.
The A's were not the ones who kept that picture of the little girl circulating, it was the media. Their rights to privacy should have been respected instead of having to use 3 or 4 different vehicles and different exits to get George out of the hospital and back home.
IF they agree to do the depositions, I don't think it should be videotaped, that is definitely an invasion of privacy, and I have never heard of that being done in any other case, other than for investigative purposes. I think Mr. Morgan is full of crap. He should be disbarred if he insists on taping it so he can release it to the public. And on that note, what right does he have to ask questions about who killed Caylee? He is not involved in the criminal case at all... he should leave those questions to the ones prosecuting Casey.

the posts on this thread have been so well thought out and verbalized, especially Paintr's and Nancy Botwin's. I am going to focus on just one aspect of the the privacy question, if you will indulge me. I have been trying like crazy to find a civil case to compare with the ZFG lawsuit and KC's counter suit. The closest I can find is when OJ was sued in Civil Court. NOw that was a long time ago, and I am not sure OJ was deposed by the Plaintiff's attorney. I do not remember the attorney stating he was going to allow the media to record the deposition.

I really have a problem with John Morgan conducting the depositions in the manner he is proposing - a mock courtroom and while 'technically the media is not invited, it will be a public proceeding' - according to an article on MyFoxOrlando, this morning. I have NEVER heard of something like this before, and was curious to hear what any of our 'WS legal eagles' think of it.

As much as I like that John Morgan has taken on ZFG's case, he is doing his own part to make this even more circus like. Obviously, this is way outside the norm for depositions in a civil suit - and I have to say, I don't like that he is attempting to do things this way. I think this goes way beyond our right to know - we will find out the results of the depostions because John Morgan will make da*n sure we do. I don't think there is any need to humiliate GA, CA or even LA this way. Yes, humiliate because you know whoever deposes them is not going to do it in a kind or gentle way. I will not debate whether they are entitled to kindness based on their previous behavior - that debate could go on for pages and pages, I just think that in this particular arena, narrowly focused only on the depositions in this civil suit; they deserve to have their depositions taken in the same manner other depositions taken by the Morgan & Morgan law firm were handled - this is only my opinion. If this is, in fact, the way Morgan & Morgan handle ALL their depositions, then so be it - but somehow I don't think so.

Another great point, and I appreciate that this one is so specific to the depositions being taped, and yes, very likely released quickly to the public.

In this instance, I agree whole-heartedly with your point that they deserve to have their depositions taken in the same manner Morgan & Morgan takes other case depositions.

It is another example of the double-edged sword in this case. If I expect that KC will not be treated differently in jail, now will the A's be treated differently in the eyes of the law in regards to KC's homicide case, then I equally don't wish the pendulum to sway in the opposite direction and have the A's treated less equally when providing a deposition.

Great example. TY

When an individual makes the decision- whether it be premeditated or due to a psychological snap, to commit a crime, all rights to privacy are compromised.

Yes, the A's were reacting to a missing granddaughter. But from the very first day of their nightmare they began lying and obstructing justice.

Cindy by washing the clothing in the car that she said smelled like death

And as things unfolded they changed their stories, they refused to cooperate with LE and searchers, they threw others under the bus. They coddled their daughter who was clearly guilty rather than executing tough love- had they pushed harder for answers and refused to let her back into their home unless she came clean maybe this would be history in most of our minds now.

By the time Casey was bonded out forensics had shown that decomp and the hair of a dead female Anthony was in that car.

I have the utmost sympathy for this family. And in a sense they are victims.

But they gave up their right to enjoy the considerations provided to typical victims when they began thwarting the efforts of LE and volunteer organizations to obtain justice for Caylee and bulldozing the rights of innocent people on the fringes of this situation. And when they began to treat their missing grandaughter as a cash cow.

And this may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm going to say it. The idea of a public memorial for Caylee is sickening to me. And it proves to me that this family is not interested in preserving their privacy. They should quietly conduct a private service/memorial/funeral for their granddaughter and leave it at that. They need to stop posturing and requesting the opportunity for Casey to be included in any manner.

They may not have made any public appearances, but they continue to make waves in the media by expecting or even hoping for special consideration to be given to any of them.

And as the public, we have every right to honor Caylee in our own way- but we have no right to expect to be privy to any kind of memorial services for Caylee. And holding a public memorial just perpetuates the circus atmosphere that has surrounded this baby's horrible death.

Their attorney needs to zip it. He needs to advise them to comply with depositions, and answer questions honestly and in a timely manner.

Casey may have started this by murdering her daughter, but her family is 100% responsible for everything that has happened since July 15.

:clap::clap::clap:
Excellent post!

I have a serious problem with the A's right to privacy- cut that's another story-

In regards to the public memborial- why not let it be a public memorial- the A's should not appear-Therefore no need for guest to be searched- what the heck, anyway?

The A's wanted and still want privacy- have a private memorial and funeral

The fact that CA is orchestrating the memorial- tells me she will be there and probably
going to speak- Lord have mercy!

If she even mentions KC's name- I will throw up !

Again- This is about- CAYLEE CAYLEE CAYLEE CAYLEE CAYLEE CAYLEE

If they have forfeited their right to privacy ( I don't believe they have) then who decides when they get it back? Us?

If they have forfeited their right to privacy ( I don't believe they have) then who decides when they get it back? Us?

They hold that power. They can make themselves less interesting and less controversial by getting on with their lives. They can stop planning public memorials. They can stop fighting the law. They can start complying with court orders.

So they have to be deposed- then be deposed. If it is released to the public, so what? They need to learn to rise above the circus they have created.

They can not comment to the press. Their attorney can stop being on the news every day.

They can put one foot in front of the other, hopefully get back to work, begin healing, quietly support their daughter. But they and everyone who represents them needs to stop making them news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back