Who was George Brody?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot find nobody George Brody born abt in 1905... better I found some record, but it is impossible to say if is the same person... very impossible...
no more records by Oakland Tribune....

also another point let me think something... : seeming that GB was very well informed abt the insurance policies.... but, really, very well...

it is possible that he worked for some period in the insurances?
also another question, for Annasmom:
dear Annasmom, you had some time the sensation that GB was hebrew?
thanks, raf

raf, the info on ancestry.com lists an estimated or approximate birth year of 1906. This is listed in both the 1910 and 1920 federal census. do you have a membership for ancestry.com? How/where do you access your info for the census records?

Most of the insurance policies were accidental death policies which were offered/heavily solicited with various credit card companies. Back then, each month an offer to purchase this type of insurance was included monthly with the persons statement. I don't think GB was so knowledgable about insurance as George Waters was concerned about making sure GB was able to financially sustain himself upon GW's death.

ETA: Awesome that you found that 1941 article... no one else has found it in all these years... you rock!

Thanks to Raf for finding this information.

1910 Census
New Hampshire, Rockingham County, Salem township

Brody, George A. Minnie E. George L. Elizabeth
Head Wife Son Daughter
Place of birth:
New Hampshire Massachusetts New Hampshire New Hampshire
Place of birth for husband's father and wife's father
Ireland Ireland
Place of birth for husband's mother and wife's mother
Ireland Ireland
No.of years in present marriage: 7
No. of Children Born/now living: 3/2

General farm
Able to read: Yes Yes
Able to write: Yes Yes
(Farm) Owned or rented: Owned
(Farm) Owned free or mortgaged: Owned free
Number of farm schedule: 103

Raf, Am I understanding this correctly?

1. The GB from the 1920 PA census is the same GB from the 1930 CA census.

2. The GB mentioned in the article dated Oct 1941 is not the same GB from either census. Because of the age difference.

And most people here are leaning more to the #2 GB as being our guy? He is listing his address as 1724 San Pablo Ave. LMAO, it's a diner! A greasy spoon! (Note: there is a San Pablo Ave in San Francisco, but the house numbers only go up to 200)

Oh, now seeing in 1944 it was a plumbing business. Anyone with newspaper archives dot com?

Oct 22, 1946 - [SIZE=-1]... has been saved from execution 11 times since his tion Governor Earl Warren an- last Friday that if the court turned down the petition he would not intervene It is understood though that the at Burglars who entered a plumbing establishment at 1724 San Pablo Avenue operated by Albert ... [/SIZE]
From Oakland Tribune (Newspaper) - October 22, 1946,... - [SIZE=-1]Oakland Tribune ($$)[/SIZE]

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...bp=2,214.4002996377858,,1,-1.6371063793927653

Yes to your first question Sherlock. that GB has a birth year of 1890 and I believe that to be the other GB in the SF area Doogie mentioned.

Yes to your second question also... I saw it was a greasy spoon now, but if you look at google maps street view there is an INN also... A small INN, a 3 flat next to a small strip mall. Hard to guess the age of the building not knowing how they rehab in that area. The current building looks 1950's/60ish.

ETA: Birdie might have access to the newspaper archives, if not, tuits' does and I am sure she will be happy to help.

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread, but have to say my heart aches for Anna's mom.

I just posted a long post in BFH thread. I guess it was the wrong place. Dang. It is about GB too. I was up all night reading about Anna and did some google searches that might be of interest. It's a long shot, but interesting as to what I found.

I just saw where someone posted about about Rockingham, NC. I live in Cary,N (Raleigh) and would be very happy to do any reasearch needed. It would take me no more than 12 minutes to go to the library.

Eight years ago I did my family research and got it traced to 1617, after flying to SLC and NE to finalize my research, but it is complete at least for my maternal grandfathers side.

Let me know if there is anything I need to look up or if you need any tips on how to obtain the reels from SLC I will guide you as to how I did it.

Please look at my post and see if this is at all a possibility pertaining to GB.

mt3k

Thanks to Raf for finding this information.

1910 Census
New Hampshire, Rockingham County, Salem township

Brody, George A. Minnie? E. George L. Elizabeth
Head Wife Son Daughter
Place of birth:
New Hampshire Massachusetts New Hampshire New Hampshire
Place of birth for father
Ireland Ireland
Place of birth for mother
Ireland Ireland
No.of years in present marriage: 7
No. of Children Born/now living: 3/2

General farm
Able to read: Yes Yes
Able to write: Yes Yes
(Farm) Owned or rented: Owned
(Farm) Owned free or mortgaged: Owned free
Number of farm schedule: 103

Thank you Kivasupporter. Ireland is throwing me off... :confused: imo GB does not look Irish. I'm also thrown off by the parents ages. 42 and 40 with a 2 and 4 year old and no older children at that time? :confused: I can see parents of that age, but with older children.......

Thank you Kivasupporter. Ireland is throwing me off... :confused: imo GB does not look Irish. I'm also thrown off by the parents ages. 42 and 40 with a 2 and 4 year old and no older children at that time? :confused: I can see parents of that age, but with older children.......

One child apparently died.

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread, but have to say my heart aches for Anna's mom.

I just posted a long post in BFH thread. I guess it was the wrong place. Dang. It is about GB too. I was up all night reading about Anna and did some google searches that might be of interest. It's a long shot, but interesting as to what I found.

I just saw where someone posted about about Rockingham, NC. I live in Cary,N (Raleigh) and would be very happy to do any reasearch needed. It would take me no more than 12 minutes to go to the library.

Eight years ago I did my family research and got it traced to 1617, after flying to SLC and NE to finalize my research, but it is complete at least for my maternal grandfathers side.

Let me know if there is anything I need to look up or if you need any tips on how to obtain the reels from SLC I will guide you as to how I did it.

Please look at my post and see if this is at all a possibility pertaining to GB.

mt3k

Hi and Welcome to WS and ACW thread mt3K.

It looks like I had the wrong Rockingham.
Will check out your other post shortly...

Very cool about finding your ancestry back to the 1600's. Mine is from the austria/Galacia/Hungry area.. so am unable to trace too far.. Got back to births in the late 1700's and found my sons dads side, very common name 5 generations as well. Glad to have you here.

One child apparently died.

I didn't notice that, thanks. I think it might be beneficial to see if we can find any info on when they came here from Ireland,... perhaps they had older children who did not come here or were old enough to be on their own already and emmigrated to the same area.

I wonder why they left NH and went to Indiana....

and if this is our GB, why he would have lost contact with his family, and what became of Elizabeth.

I may have to correct this. The house numbers are going the other way on the street. So this means the "INN" located to the right is 1724.

Robber Suspect Twice Captured

Oaklander Arrested, Breaks Away, Nabbed Later With Jewelry

Twice captured by police last night, Fred Slavens, 45, 1724 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, was in the city prison today for investigation of burglary charges.
Slavens was arrested first shortly after midnight by Lieutenant of Inspectors James Goodnight, who heard glass breaking as he returned from eating and saw Slavens emerging from the shattered window of a jewelry store at 1300 Washington street.
Goodnight drew his gun and placed the man under arrest. At 14th and Washington Streets, as Goodnight was taking Slavens to jail, the man broke from his grasp and started to run. Goodnight hit him with the butt of his revolver, but dropped the gun in the struggle.
Slavens started running again, and outdistanced the officer. He was rearrested a short time later at 16th and Jefferson Streets. Eighteen rings and 15 watches were found in his possession.
Oakland (California) Tribune, July 14, 1938.​

Robber Suspect Twice Captured

Oaklander Arrested, Breaks Away, Nabbed Later With Jewelry

Twice captured by police last night, Fred Slavens, 45, 1724 San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, was in the city prison today for investigation of burglary charges.
Slavens was arrested first shortly after midnight by Lieutenant of Inspectors James Goodnight, who heard glass breaking as he returned from eating and saw Slavens emerging from the shattered window of a jewelry store at 1300 Washington street.
Goodnight drew his gun and placed the man under arrest. At 14th and Washington Streets, as Goodnight was taking Slavens to jail, the man broke from his grasp and started to run. Goodnight hit him with the butt of his revolver, but dropped the gun in the struggle.
Slavens started running again, and outdistanced the officer. He was rearrested a short time later at 16th and Jefferson Streets. Eighteen rings and 15 watches were found in his possession.

Oakland (California) Tribune, July 14, 1938.​

Sounds like the same neighborly crowd as the tenderloin dist. Definately the neighbors GB was most at home with.....

Welcome to Anna's forum momto3kids! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks Sherlock and Cubby.
Any help I can be for info on NC I will be happy to research. The offer is open any time. I noticed Anna's mom mentioned GB and Native American. I want to say Rockingham is very close to a Tribal area if that at all clicks to being a possible area to research.

My post at BFH has the name Eiffee I found. It might have no connection, but I found it interesting to see some similar aspects that are in this case.

Give me your thoughts when you read it.

Remember GB boasted about being a Leo. This would mean his birthday would fall between July 23 - Aug 22.

There is a Rockingham, NH... http://co.rockingham.nh.us/

forgot about the leo, Was it the 25th or 23rd of August GB claimed as his birthdate... some astrology sites vary by a day for the cut off dates...

ancestry listed Rockingham as the county, not city/town... which threw me off.

Any help I can be for info on NC I will be happy to research. The offer is open any time. I noticed Anna's mom mentioned GB and Native American. I want to say Rockingham is very close to a Tribal area if that at all clicks to being a possible area to research.

My post at BFH has the name Eiffee I found. It might have no connection, but I found it interesting to see some similar aspects that are in this case.

I'm sure Annasmom will respond to your post when she reads it. I don't think she was meaning "Indian" when she posted about "Native", but I may be wrong.

Your welcome. This was not addressed to me, and I am sure annasmom will answer, but I took her comments to mean native to America as in born here and not having a distinctive European or foreign accent. We thought he might have been of Hungarian desent... There are some pics here somewhere....

forgot about the leo, Was it the 25th or 23rd of August GB claimed as his birthdate... some astrology sites vary by a day for the cut off dates...

ancestry listed Rockingham as the county, not city/town... which threw me off.

Originally, I understood it to be the 15th of August. There is a note in the Squibb notes about a b-day suit for Mr Natural and was dated 8/11/70.

Off topic here now: Is there a way to get over 500 WS members to help out on this case like there is on Caylee Anthony's case? :rolleyes: I, for one, would rather help the mother of a missing child who doesn't make up stories and lies to LE. Thank you, Annasmom, for being who you are!

Originally, I understood it to be the 15th of August. There is a note in the Squibb notes about a b-day suit for Mr Natural and was dated 8/11/70.

Off topic here now: Is there a way to get over 500 WS members to help out on this case like there is on Caylee Anthony's case? :rolleyes: I, for one, would rather help the mother of a missing child who doesn't make up stories and lies to LE. Thank you, Annasmom, for being who you are![/quote]

thanks, I have the 23rd on my brain for some reason. My bold. Your sentiments have been expressed numerous times throughout WS Sherlock. Even if we could get Nancy Grace to give up an entire HOUR of her show, just one hour, to dedicate to missing children and not mention the Anthony case would be wonderful!

There are new members slowly trickeling to other threads... and honestly, most new members here are a little intimidated/shy to post. Even some real oldies have made that comment. I read here for a good 5 months or so before even attempting to join and didn't jump into thread for some time. (other than the countdown from a million which I felt comfy joining in immediately to get to know people here first. ) :blowkiss:

Just for clarification:

Ireland refers to places of birth for the parents of George A. and the parents of Minnie E.

George L. and Elizabeth were born in New Hampshire.

Hi momto3kids. Welcome to the forum.

BTW I am in Raleigh. :)

Your welcome. This was not addressed to me, and I am sure annasmom will answer, but I took her comments to mean native to America as in born here and not having a distinctive European or foreign accent. We thought he might have been of Hungarian desent... There are some pics here somewhere....

GB had no trace of a foreign accent. I am sure that he was born in America (not Native American), probably somewhere in the northeast, not the South, and, in answer to Raf's question, no, I do not believe he was Jewish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay