Whose gotten burned on e-bay?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have recieved everything I have purchased. I only buy from sellers that have alot of feedback and positive.

I am done,after nearly 10 years ,with ebay.
Too many sellers overcharging shipping or being fraudulent(& good feedback means NOTHING I have found) & as for my selling days-ugh -Im done.The economy has hurt what I can make(things I was getting REALLY good money for & couldnt sell enough of now go unsold) & I HATE the new system of sellers not being able to leave neg's to buyers yet buyers can leave sellers neg's! Too many new buyers taking advantage & ebay/paypal so desperate to keep customers that they pander to them even when its clear the buyer is lying about not getting the item(USPS signature confirmation doesnt lie!).........you cant even leave negs to a non paying bidder anymore & they can just go on & keep bidding/winning other auctions! Ebay wouldnt even do anything about a buyer who was threatening me using their message system!!! The psycho is still on ebay!!! I miss ebay........I got such great deals,came in contact with some really cool people & I made some damn good money but those days are over! :(

I am a long time seller on ebay, infrequent buyer. Sure, lots has changed over the years. Some good things, some bad. One thing is FOR SURE. The heyday of ebay sales is OVER!
Ebay STILL remains a place for collectors to go to find rare/hard to find/unique items. As long as I have inventory such as this, I do okay. But keeping stocked up with an inventory of collectible items is getting harder and harder. The HUGE increases of USPS shipping costs has hurt ebay as much as anything else, imho.

I have only been burned twice.
Once I sent an expensive item overseas (England) WITH confirmation but buyer claimed it never arrived and PayPal refunded buyer. PayPal told me delivery confirmation was only proof if shipped within the US. That was the last time I ever accepted PayPal from outside the US.

Second time was as a buyer. I was sent an empty box. I disputed with PayPal and they told me seller had delivery confirmation, nothing they could do. I could however go to post office and file mail fraud charges. I asked at local post office, they said I could file but because the amount was low (several hundred dollars is low?) it would probably never be investigated due to backlog.

I have never been burned since because that was the final straw. I quit using eBay.

I have been burned a couple of times. Once was in the older system. I ordered a sweater for my daughter and got a doll sweater!! I left negative feedback and got it right back, ouch! I also ordered pins once and got buttons. There is quite a difference. Same thing, contacted seller several times, finally left negative feedback. bam, got it back!

Since then all of my transactions have gone well. No problems whatsoever. In fact I just bought 4 items for Christmas presents, and all were great!

Only 1 time, I bought something for my dog and it was 3 times smaller than the measurements............figure it was from a seller located in 'thailand'
couldn't send it back because shipping so high.........no one had a dog THAT tiny so It fits a little pony toy of my grand daughter...........

i would never buy off ebay, thats such a scam waiting to happen.next to your name, put 'please dont burn me'

LOL - that's funny :) I bought a few things on e-bay years ago, and wasn't burned. But the hassle - OMG. e-mails, leave me feedback messages, etc. Just send me my darn item and let me get on with my life. I know, a bargain is a bargain, but I just thought it was bothersome.

MOO

Mel

I have never gotten cheated on ebay. I have however under priced shipping and had to pay quite a bit more to ship someone something. Also, becareful because there is fraud on there. My ss got ahold my my dh ebay acct password, took a pic of his brother's wii and put it for sale on ebay. He forgot however to change the email and we got an email with a question. He admitted to it all and said he never entended to send the wii, just get someones money. BTW, the pay pal was changed to his mothers address but he didnt change the bank acct. Moron. We came up with double secret passwords after that, dh had always used the same passwords everywhere before that.

A year ago I bought a Wii system complete with several games. I paid through PayPal in the amount of $350. The buyer sent me an email after payment was received and told me he would be mailing the Wii out the following Monday. A week after that Monday... still, no Wii. I emailed him through Ebay, but no response. I filed a complaint with Ebay and with Paypal. Please read the fine print when paying with PayPal. I was only able to get a refund of $150 instead of the full price, but did not notice that when I clicked pay. The buyer was suspended, but ironically, he sold five other Wii systems that same week, and no one received theirs either. I always check to see if there are any negative feedback remarks and how long the buyer has been on Ebay.. even then, there is no guarantee.

I think I just solved that mystery!! Just kidding, found this thread by accident and thought to point out this bit of irony located a post from each other.:waitasec::floorlaugh:

I've been very fortunate on Ebay, I have bought various stuff on there for over 3 years now without a problem.

I only buy things on ebay that I can't get anywhere else. Handcrafted earings, a dress... I do prefer etsy for those items now. I only deal with people who have positive feedback and preferably lots of it. I recently bought a dress on ebay and it looked a lot nicer in the photo. The material was cheap made in China type and the stitching was kind of wonky. I told the seller this and they offered me a refund but since it was only $17 plus five dollars shipping, I say what the hell. Even if I wear it a few times this Summer it will be worth it. I left them positive feedback just because their customer service was excellent and made up for the lack of quality but for $17, what can you expect. I won't buy clothing again from Ebay but will continue to buy vintage pieces and jewelry from Etsy where it is a more close knit community.

I buy a lot from ebay, the prices are lower on most items I am interested in. In nearly 400 transactions I have only had occasion to question the sellers on 2 items. One was an expensive set of pillowcases at around a third of the cost if I had bought them at Macy's. The cases arrived with several noticeable bleach spots. The seller admitted she knew about them and offered a reduced price with refund via paypal. I declined the reduced offer and then she got really nasty about my return. She offered to refund full price but excluded ship costs. I had to pay out of pocket to ship back which was around $5, and this was no problem but if she knew about the bleach spots before shipping what was her argument, she owed a complete refund. I should have checked her terrible feedback before buying. As it turned out I sent the cases back, took what she offered. Life is not worth fighting a battle over several dollars. Another was 2 pairs of socks, but only one pair was sent. I called it to the sellers attention and she exploded. I did file with ebay because of her nasty emails. Plus she had done this so many times that they revoked her selling privileges. It was a fraud game with her but I got a full refund including postage. I never left feedback for either. Didn't have anything nice to say so I didn't say anything. All in all my experiences on ebay have been good ones. There are a few bad sellers but you can get that at the corner store.

I haven't had issues with the items you have mentioned but I have always had a problem with counterfeit colognes and perfumes on eBay. Personally, I avoid almost any and every auction coming out of the New Jersey area because that seems to be my problem spot.
Other than that, eBay is a good place to shop and sell and eBay/paypal is really good at help protecting buyers.

I haven't had issues with the items you have mentioned but I have always had a problem with counterfeit colognes and perfumes on eBay. Personally, I avoid almost any and every auction coming out of the New Jersey area because that seems to be my problem spot.
Other than that, eBay is a good place to shop and sell and eBay/paypal is really good at help protecting buyers.

I wonder why the postage is so high out of NJ? I try to avoid sellers on the East Coast because of their high postage.

My husband and I both have bought and sold on ebay with no problems. We have noticed lately that the S&H is higher than it should be. The last thing I bought was a book and it was supposed tohave been free of markings, but a few pages had been written on. I contacted the seller and she gave me a partial credit back for hte book, which was fine with me - it was not as advertised is the only thing.

I've never had an issue with Ebay. I've been really lucky. Using it to purchase items no longer sold in stores, like toys from movies, has been what I've used it for most. There are other items I can get in stores that are MUCH cheaper there also, like cables for the pc/printer, sd cards, cell phone covers, dvd's etc.

My son is a huge Godzilla fan and sometimes when he breaks a dvd I replace it from ebay.

Just check the seller's feedback. It should be at ninety seven percent or higher. Not only that, but check the comments on their page, and look for the negative ones. Sometimes people will grouch about arrival time, or shipping costs, which the seller often has no control over.

I have only been a buyer on EBAY, but have gotten burned a couple of times. I feel the shipping costs are way out of line on most items. I buy restaurant dishes, porcelain decorative eggs, and teapots. I have gotten broken shipments and not been able to resolve the issue on occasion; thereby just losing the money. I realize that there are only a few sellers are nonresponsive on broken items, though.

I very much enjoy looking at items on EBAY, but am more reserved at buying now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back