Why did the WM3 do it?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And what exactly do you take Misskelley's many confessions to be evidence of: that he was somehow brainwashed into confessing not only to the cops on 6/3, but also to his lawyer on 6/11, again to his lawyer again on 8/19, to police from another country as they took him back to prison after his conviction on 2/4, yet again to his lawyer on 2/8, and finally to the prosecution against the advice of council on 2/17? And do you believe that Buddy Lucas lied about Misskelley confessing to him the day after the murders, or do you contend that brainwashing took place prior to that? I'm just guessing since you're so coy about explaining, but feel free to offer alternative explanations.

JMO but I believe Misskelley's confessions to be evidence of a young mentally challenged (to what degree?) person being pulled into a system he had no knowledge of and further pulled in two different directions by both the defense and the prosecution, I believe he would have been offered certain deals (of course there is no evidence of this) for his co-operation. I believe he could have been easily manipulated to say/believe anything.

Do I believe Buddy's statements, no.

In no way are these explanations but merely my opinions.

Just on the manipulation thing though, I have a brother that is some what mentally challenged (Diagnosed slow learning) and I know for a fact I could still manipulate him and he is much older than Jessie was at the time. I could have made him believe and say the Earth was flat when he was 18. Coaching or whatever you want to call it is IMO not that big of a stretch. Albeit murder is a very serious matter, I don't believe he ever thought he would be charged for such.

And what exactly do you take Misskelley's many confessions to be evidence of: that he was somehow brainwashed into confessing not only to the cops on 6/3, but also to his lawyer on 6/11, again to his lawyer again on 8/19, to police from another country as they took him back to prison after his conviction on 2/4, yet again to his lawyer on 2/8, and finally to the prosecution against the advice of council on 2/17? And do you believe that Buddy Lucas lied about Misskelley confessing to him the day after the murders, or do you contend that brainwashing took place prior to that? I'm just guessing since you're so coy about explaining, but feel free to offer alternative explanations.

Disregarding your use of the word brainwashing, I believe that Misskelley's one confession that he attempted to regurgitate on subsequent occasions was the product of extremely questionable police tactics applied to a teenage boy who whose mental makeup made him extremely susceptible to such tactics.

JMO but I believe Misskelley's confessions to be evidence of a young mentally challenged (to what degree?) person being pulled into a system he had no knowledge of and further pulled in two different directions by both the defense and the prosecution, I believe he would have been offered certain deals (of course there is no evidence of this) for his co-operation. I believe he could have been easily manipulated to say/believe anything.

Do I believe Buddy's statements, no.

In no way are these explanations but merely my opinions.

Just on the manipulation thing though, I have a brother that is some what mentally challenged (Diagnosed slow learning) and I know for a fact I could still manipulate him and he is much older than Jessie was at the time. I could have made him believe and say the Earth was flat when he was 18. Coaching or whatever you want to call it is IMO not that big of a stretch. Albeit murder is a very serious matter, I don't believe he ever thought he would be charged for such.

I have no doubt he was manipulated. There was manipulation going on in the recorded portion...can you imagine how much manipulation was going on as soon as that recorder was off? I have my suspicions that between the 2 recorded confessions, they went to go get warrants, the Judge said not a chance based on the obviously false confession, so they came back and told Jessie, before recording again, something along the lines of "Dammit Jessie, the Judge won't issue a warrant for Damien because you said noon, not 8." and then turned the recorder back on.

I believe he would have been offered certain deals (of course there is no evidence of this) for his co-operation.
Believing things which have no evidence to substantiate them is almost certain to put one's beliefs at odds with reality.

can you imagine how much manipulation was going on as soon as that recorder was off?
What manipulation are you asking to be imagined here exactly? For example, do you suppose this exchange at the end of Misskelley's first recorded statement was the result of manipulation?:

RIDGE: Are you scared of the police now?
JESSIE: No
RIDGE: You are not, so we've treated you well?
JESSIE: Yes
If so, do you figure that before the recording started Ridge and Gitchell told Misskelley they'd kill everyone he cares about unless he answered those questions and the ones before them as he did, or how exactly do you suppose Misskelley's responses there are false? Furthermore, Misskelley said "all of this stuff happened that night" moments before he said "I went home about noon" in that first recorded statement, and the second recorded statement started with:

Gitchell: Jessie, uh, when when you got with the boys and with Jason Baldwin when you three were in the woods and then little boys come up, about what time was it? When the boys come up to the woods?
Jessie: I would say it was about 5 or so 5 or 6.
Gitchell: Know, did you have your watch on at the time?
Jessie: Huh uh (no)
Gitchell: You didn't have your watch on?
Jessie: Huh uh (no)
Gitchell: Uh, alright you told me earlier around 7 or 8, which time is it?
Jessie: It was 7 or 8.
Gitchell: Are you
Jessie: It was starting to get dark.
Gitchell: Ok, it
Jessie: I remember it was starting to get dark.
That hardly supports the hypnosis that Misskelley was told to say 8 before recording, as he started out saying the boys showed hours up earlier in the recording. But then he switches from describing time in numbers to "starting to get dark", which is consistent the "all of this stuff happened that night" from his first recorded statement. So where is there any evidence to suggest that Misskelley simply wasn't one of many people who have a poor understanding of time in terms of names and numbers, at least at that time in his life? And where is there any actual evidence to suggest that Misskelley was manipulated into confessing at all?

Believing things which have no evidence to substantiate them is almost certain to put one's beliefs at odds with reality.

Just because you didn't see that tree fall in the forest doesn't mean it didn't fall.

What manipulation are you asking to be imagined here exactly? For example, do you suppose this exchange at the end of Misskelley's first recorded statement was the result of manipulation?:

The questions you cite are meaningless. That's like your wife asking if she looks fat in that dress. No husband that wants to remain married is going to say yes.

If so, do you figure that before the recording started Ridge and Gitchell told Misskelley they'd kill everyone he cares about unless he answered those questions and the ones before them as he did, or how exactly do you suppose Misskelley's responses there are false? Furthermore, Misskelley said "all of this stuff happened that night" moments before he said "I went home about noon" in that first recorded statement, and the second recorded statement started with:

Now you're just being silly. Threatening to kill everyone he cares about? You really can't be that naive to think that is the only way LE manipulates situations.

That hardly supports the hypnosis that Misskelley was told to say 8 before recording, as he started out saying the boys showed hours up earlier in the recording. But then he switches from describing time in numbers to "starting to get dark", which is consistent the "all of this stuff happened that night" from his first recorded statement. So where is there any evidence to suggest that Misskelley simply wasn't one of many people who have a poor understanding of time in terms of names and numbers, at least at that time in his life? And where is there any actual evidence to suggest that Misskelley was manipulated into confessing at all?

So I take that to mean you believe the various alibi witnesses may be telling the truth and are simply off on their times and names? Heck, their times were a lot closer than when I got out of bed and right before I went to bed. As to evidence Jessie was manipulated, I do believe you are smart enough to understand that is an opinion that is arrived at after reviewing the so called confessions. So your evidence is in the questions and answers themselves. You are certainly free to disagree and I respect that opinion but also respectfully disagree with it.

I had actually copied both "confessions" to word so I could insert my thoughts and opinions on the coercion/manipulation that was going on as I was going through it again. Something tells me it would be a futile practice to post it. Come to think of it, I don't even know how to post it.

I had actually copied both "confessions" to word so I could insert my thoughts and opinions on the coercion/manipulation that was going on as I was going through it again. Something tells me it would be a futile practice to post it. Come to think of it, I don't even know how to post it.

Are you using a phone or computer to post on here reedus?

If its a phone, then I can't help! I've only just learnt how to quote multiple people!!

Another Strawman and as Reedus23 pointed out, there is evidence if one looks at the statements (especially the first).

btw I think I remember someone (tongue in cheek) quoting, "Absence Of Evidence Is Not Evidence Of Absence"

Reedus23 said:

You might have already seen this one but I think it highlights many errors very well. Confession with Comments

Forget it, I can't be bothered with this case any more. Get back to me when some new evidence arrives.

Are you using a phone or computer to post on here reedus?

If its a phone, then I can't help! I've only just learnt how to quote multiple people!!

Most of the time from a computer. What's the trick to quoting multiple people?

Another Strawman and as Reedus23 pointed out, there is evidence if one looks at the statements (especially the first).

btw I think I remember someone (tongue in cheek) quoting, "Absence Of Evidence Is Not Evidence Of Absence"

You might have already seen this one but I think it highlights many errors very well. Confession with Comments

Thanks so much. Puts my notes to shame. I am going to read that again tomorrow with mine pulled up to see how close my thoughts were to these. Thanks again.

Most of the time from a computer. What's the trick to quoting multiple people?

I'm on my phone... I use tapatalk and when I press the quote button it lets me select multiple replies... On the Computer... I'm not sure how to quote multiples on the comp, I rarely use my laptop since I got my iPhone...

Ok ill admit it I have a problem with my iPhone... It's always in my hand :D

To get back to the original post, if I were to make the assumption that the WM3 did it and make the further assumption that the original crime took place in the woods, I think it was likely a crime of opportunity. I don't think satanism or the occult or anything like that had anything to do with it. The WM3 would have had to have been in the woods or nearby it at a time when the 3 boys were in the woods or nearby. Based on the other sightings of the boys, I think if the WM3 would have lured them or forcibly taken them to the woods from the neighborhood, it would have been seen.

Once in the woods, my guess is that it would have started off as something less and quickly devolved into murder. I would guess that Damien would have played the part of ringleader and something about his psychological makeup drove him to one, assault the boys and two, to eventually murder the boys. Jessie and Jason certainly come off to me as followers at the time and easily influenced. They may have even thought what was happening was wrong but weren't going to go counter to Damien, particularly at that point.

I don't know how likely any of that is, but if I had to work off of those assumptions, that is what my thoughts would be. Of course they are just my opinions and speculation with little to nothing to back any of it up.

To get back to the original post, if I were to make the assumption that the WM3 did it and make the further assumption that the original crime took place in the woods, I think it was likely a crime of opportunity. I don't think satanism or the occult or anything like that had anything to do with it. The WM3 would have had to have been in the woods or nearby it at a time when the 3 boys were in the woods or nearby. Based on the other sightings of the boys, I think if the WM3 would have lured them or forcibly taken them to the woods from the neighborhood, it would have been seen.

Once in the woods, my guess is that it would have started off as something less and quickly devolved into murder. I would guess that Damien would have played the part of ringleader and something about his psychological makeup drove him to one, assault the boys and two, to eventually murder the boys. Jessie and Jason certainly come off to me as followers at the time and easily influenced. They may have even thought what was happening was wrong but weren't going to go counter to Damien, particularly at that point.

I don't know how likely any of that is, but if I had to work off of those assumptions, that is what my thoughts would be. Of course they are just my opinions and speculation with little to nothing to back any of it up.

I agree with your speculations as from all I've seen/read its quite clear that IF they did commit these crimes then Damien was definitely the driving force behind it, and more than likely the other two boys did not want to challenge him already knowing his personality and ideals they would possibly have been somewhat scared of Damien.

It's a hard scenario to wrap ones head around IF they did it, being scared of someone is one thing, allowing them to kill three children or helping to do so is another.

It's a hard scenario to wrap ones head around IF they did it, being scared of someone is one thing, allowing them to kill three children or helping to do so is another.

I agree 100%. Not just hard to wrap ones head around but hard to lay out without having to force square pegs in round holes.

You really can't be that naive to think that is the only way LE manipulates situations.
Rather, I've no reason to believe Missekelly was manipulated into confessing absent any actual evidence to substantiate that notion.

So I take that to mean you believe the various alibi witnesses may be telling the truth and are simply off on their times and names?
Well for instance I figure the people who testified to going wresting with Misskelley likely did go wrestling with Misskelley, but the evidence leaves me with no reason to believe they did so on the night of the murders.

Another Strawman
No, I addressed the argument you made as you made it, while a strawman is a misrepresentation of an argument created to in aversion to addressing the argument which was actually made.

What I said to you was not tongue-in-cheek by any stretch, and I wasn't quoting anyone, but rather pointing out a well established matter of logic. Perhaps if you go back and read what I said and consider it in the context I said it, you might better grasp that logic.

I've seen that, but I've not found anything notable in it to support the notion that Missekelly was manipulated into confessing. If you have, please quote it here.

I don't think satanism or the occult or anything like that had anything to do with it.
Echols suggested otherwise during his trial, regarding his 5/10 interview with Ridge:

23 Q. Now, Officer Ridge has that when you were asked
24 these questions that you say, "It was a thrill kill."
25 Is that your words?

1 A. He asked me what did I think could be the possible
2 motivation.
3 Q. Okay. And you indicated a thrill kill, is that
4 right?
5 A. Right.
6 Q. Or a satanic act?
7 A. Right.

And also on the stand, Echols elaborated on his occult beliefs regarding the murders:

22 Q. Question number 11, "How do you think the person
23 feels that did this?" The answer was, "Probably makes
24 them feel good, gives them power." Now, I guess
25 Officer Ridge said that, too?

1 A. No, I used common sense on that. If someone was
2 doing it, then they must have wanted to. And if they
3 were doing something they wanted to, it must have made
4 them happy. I don't think they were doing it because
5 someone forced them to or because they didn't want to.
6 Q. So in your mind the person that killed these three
7 kids, it is common sense that killing three
8 eight-year-olds would make you feel good?
9 A. Whoever did it, it must have.
10 Q. Okay. And it gives them power. That's also
11 another common sense perspective from you?
12 A. Pretty much.
13 Q. Now, when you say, "gives them power," is that
14 based on what you have read in these books?
15 A. No, it had nothing to do with that, just the crime
16 itself.
17 Q. Killing three eight-year-olds gives you power. I
18 don't understand that. Explain that to me.
19 A. They probably thought, well, that they were like
20 overcoming other humans or something.

16 Q. It also states that Damien stated that the younger
17 of the victims would be more innocent and in turn more
18 power would be given the person doing the killing.
19 A. Right.
20 Q. Did you say that?
21 A. Yes.
22 Q. Those are your words?
23 A. Uh-huh.

And Echols' interest in occult means of gaining power is further documented throughout his medical records, such as in this [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9206361&postcount=50"]Indvidual Progress Note[/ame] from a few months before the murders. Notably:

Damien explained that he obtains his power by drinking blood of others. He typically drinks the blood of a sexual partner or of a ruling partner. This is achieved by biting or cutting. He states “it makes me feel like a God”. Damien describes drinking blood as giving him more power and strength. He remembers doing this as far back as age 10. He does not remember where he learned to do this.

He wants very much to be all powerful.

Damien relates that a spirit is now living with him. The spirit was put inside him last year. He indicates that a month ago the spirit decided to become part of him and he to become part of the spirit. This is reportedly a spirit of a woman who was killed by her husband. When questioned about how he feels with this spirit or what the difference is, Damien is able to relate that he feels stronger and more powerful with this spirit.

Such evidence taken together suggests Echols was on quest for power fueled by mumbo-jumbo, and attacking three eight-year-old boys became a step on that quest. I'm not convinced he set out to murder though, and am open to the possibility that the decision to murder wasn't made until after the degloving of Christopher Byers which was likely done by Baldwin unless Misskelley was lying in that regard throughout his many confessions.

Then again, perhaps the degloving was committed by someone Misskelley chose not to implicate, maybe "a ruling partner" as Echols spoke of drinking blood from to his psychologist just a few months before the murders. Of course there's no real evidence to suggest additional perpetrators, but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Also, there's a [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53"]Forum Finesse[/ame] section at Websluths for questions regarding how to do multiple quotes and such. I've never bothered to look in it, but I'll keep and eye on it and respond to the best of my abilities if any of you ask such questions there.

You are certainly entitled to your belief that the answer to the question of "Why?" is due, in part, to satanic/occult rituals/beliefs. I don't. I don't disagree that power and control played a part in answering "Why?" regardless of who committed the crimes just as that is the cases with many killers. In fact, I think that played a large role. I just don't believe this was any type of satanic or occult ritual and don't think satanic or occult beliefs had anything to do with the crimes regardless of who did it.

I just don't believe this was any type of satanic or occult ritual
I don't believe it was a ritual either, nor did the prosecution ever claim as much.

and don't think satanic or occult beliefs had anything to do with the crimes regardless of who did it.
Well hypothetically, say you had all the proof you could ever imagine that the three committed the murders: one what grounds could you figure Echols' documented quest for power though drinking blood and such would not have played some role in motivating him to attack the boys? Particularly given Echols' belief "that the younger of the victims would be more innocent and in turn more power would be given the person doing the killing" as he agreed on the stand that he told Ridge?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back