Why has the family not made a public plea?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5326285&postcount=5"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2010.06.23 ~ TODAY's CURRENT NEWS ***No discussions please***[/ame]

yesterday one of our posters snipped/linked to an article that said tomorrow the family would be answering some written questions... I wanted to bump it up here.. however, when I went back to that link that actual text is not in the article anymore fwiw.

But just a heads up just in case

Sadly, the general public does have a very short attention span and if LE does not continue to keep the case active in the public's eye, it will fade from view. The only thing that will keep a case in the news is a break in the case, information or requests from LE to the public, or human-interest stories about/from the family. I'm sure LE does not want this case to begin to fade, and will have to make strategic decisions as to when and what to release, especially if they are not making headway.

Sadly, the general public does have a very short attention span and if LE does not continue to keep the case active in the public's eye, it will fade from view. The only thing that will keep a case in the news is a break in the case, information or requests from LE to the public, or human-interest stories about/from the family. I'm sure LE does not want this case to begin to fade, and will have to make strategic decisions as to when and what to release, especially if they are not making headway.

Yeah, but they have to balance it and take care not to oversaturate the media. Just reading comments to local media regarding the Harringtons and their press conferences/media appearances, for example. It was horrid.

you know unless i am wrong i've never seen the police say she is a POI. but we are now allowed to say stuff about her based on 'mainstream media' that gets its sources off a website that uses 'sources' not affiliated with the case.

i feel like i'm watching riley fox part 2

I am now pretty shocked whenever I see the family of any missing child speak out. I have read comments directed at parents (some referencing their funeral attire, literally) that make my blood run cold. That was during Somer's memorial. Anonymity seems to provide some with a license to be vicious. I always kind of shake my head when anonymous people will claim to truly care about where a child is and what has happened to them while degrading the person they may have loved the most out of the other side of their mouth.

You are so right. The kinds of picking apart that we have seen by amateurs is a far cry from sleuthing. It's harmful to people who should be considered victims until there is any evidence that they are perpetrators.

LE has stated at least twice that the types of accusations being made on the internet are HURTFUL to Kyron's family. Doing things one knows is hurtful because "Terri could possibly have hurt Kyron" is irresponsible and mean, IMO. It does NOTHING to help Kyron. And the fact that she hasn't been formally accused does not mean that people all over the internet HAVE hesitated to accuse her.

Even in this forum, she has been accused of playing games on her FB during the time LE has told us she was at the school. She has been accused of taking the picture on Thursday instead of Friday, of never bringing Kyron to school on Friday, even though LE has said the picture was taken on the day Kyron went missing......

If I've learned anything from this case, I think it is that I would be VERY, VERY HESITANT to go public, because a large percent of the public seems to be much more interested in gossip mongering than helping. That is the truth I believe GrainneDhu is trying to convey when she mentions other cases in which the public was very wrong and caused irreparable damage to innocent individuals and families. My opinion.

Thank you. That's what I meant and you said it much better than I did.

Sadly, the general public does have a very short attention span and if LE does not continue to keep the case active in the public's eye, it will fade from view.

I'm not sure it matters whether the case is kept in the national public eye. It will remain there, though, as long as the national media is fed enough stories to attract extra viewers, so they can keep forking in ad revenue.

It needs to be kept alive in the eyes of the locals, although they have a vested interest in the outcome because no one knows if there is a person out there who will be coming for their child next.

As far as internet users who are interested in the case are concerned, everything has already been thoroughly discussed, IMO. I think we are all chasing our tails at this point. It sure is frustrating and worrisome.

That's not unusual since we are all "on hold", in wait mode, except for LE.

I think it will remain in the minds of the locals to be sure...even more so as the summer progresses if there is not a result and schools are due to open again...

I did not say the family needed to make a statement; I've never seen where that helps and in this day/age, it probably does more harm than good. But LE will need to keep it out there, if they truly do want help from the public. People get busy with their own lives and need to be reminded, when camping or traveling around the area, etc. to be on the lookout for anything unusual. I think Kyron will be found either by a member of the public strictly by chance, or via a confession.

Kyron Horman's family released new video and 200 photos of the missing boy Thursday, one day ahead of a scheduled interview with members of the media.
The 7-year-old's biological parents, Kaine Horman and Desiree Young, are expected to meet with reporters Friday morning. The child's stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, will not be present.

http://www.kptv.com/news/24025131/detail.html

The article itself is publicity...

I'm impressed with the way they are handling this case.

Psyops :)

I agree. As you've noted, I've already said that this is exactly how I would conduct a public relations campaign to keep my hypothetical missing child's name and face in front of the public.

Don't throw the whole bucket of chum in the water at once. Pour in just enough at any one time to keep the sharks coming back for more.

This is either an incredible coincidence or that family is getting very canny advice from someone. My money is on the latter and more power to 'em. Keep dribbling out tiny bits and pieces to keep the fires going for as long as possible. Don't use up all the bait all at once.

And so on.

I could not get to picture 20 without tears.

LE, please work fast! To the loved ones who submitted these pics of K, thank you for sharing, our hearts are breaking for you.

I don't recall LE stating "alive".

And FWIW, she may not have been formally 'accused' by authorities (those involved in this case), but she sure as hell is being torn apart and accused by media and/or by anonymous people on the internet (those not involved in this case).
Calliope,

In the last press conference, where it was stated that Terri was the last person to see Kyron, this same officer/LE spokesperson said this again, towards the end of the p.c., only adding the word "alive" at the end of the statement: Terri Horman was the last person to see Kyron ALIVE. It has been discussed and stood out to many people.

Also, the article we have discussed here on Kyron's Forum written in The Huffington Post speaks to this.

Calliope,

In the last press conference, where it was stated that Terri was the last person to see Kyron, this same officer/LE spokesperson said this again, towards the end of the p.c., only adding the word "alive" at the end of the statement: Terri Horman was the last person to see Kyron ALIVE. It has been discussed and stood out to many people.

Also, the article we have discussed here on Kyron's Forum written in The Huffington Post speaks to this.

I've listened to the presser, and I'll go back and listen again, as I didn't not hear him say "alive".

durning last friday's press conference given by LE, Gates asked the community to keep looking for Kyron.

I think him asking the public to search for Kyron should be sufficient incentive for people to do just that - without having a family member ask -they should be allowed to grieve in private.

You know, I really kind of doubt that law enforcement throw out key words to signal people or to try and lead certain people certain places. No offense intended at all to anyone here but I would be heartsick if I thought I had added even just a sliver of pain to someone going through this. Being right is just not that important to me at all.

To answer the question, I would guess the hand of LE is at work here at least to some degree, would note that maybe "the parents" aren't a single, functioning unit, and that they have spoken out already, to a degree. As much as I'm another enquiring mind that wants to know where Kyron is, I haven't missed at all the typical lack of all decorum and civility from seeing scenes of parents coming and going, being chased by a horde of media shouting questions, especially the trite and absurd "How are you feeling?" A big part of me still believes that you can live your life properly and appropriately, even in the midst of a horrible tragedy like the vanishing of a beloved child, somewhere other than on television. Surely they have been advised what might most help in this particular case and are doing their best to do that, while they try to come to grips with horrendous devastation.

Kyron Horman's family released new video and 200 photos of the missing boy Thursday, one day ahead of a scheduled interview with members of the media.
The 7-year-old's biological parents, Kaine Horman and Desiree Young, are expected to meet with reporters Friday morning. The child's stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, will not be present.

http://www.kptv.com/news/24025131/detail.html

Thank you nurse - 100+ photos of Kyron in activities all children would love to experience. Amazing how vulnerable and innocent little 7yo Kyron looks. My heart is filled with sadness after viewing all those beautiful pics. moo

very strange... the text about the meeting with the press has now poofed! It is not there any longer.

The photos to me are sad, as though being prepared for a memorial service...

At the end of the day, in my humble opinion, all this internet frenzy regarding step mom has done NOTHING to bring Kyron home. There are many ways to react to a stressful situation. No one way is more right or more wrong than another. I still hold to the idea that if LE thought SM did this and acted alone at the very least they would have identified her as a POI by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshuasaunt