Why has the family not made a public plea?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Media, the public and internet peeps dissecting, analyzing, and attacking their every move, action, word and blink helps kyron... how?
Maybe we are not understanding one anther, Calliope.

I responded to your post, believing that you meant that you did not blame Kyron's family for not speaking out because people would just pick them apart. If I'm incorrect, please set me straight. My response meant:

Who cares what people say about them? What matters is, getting out there and pleading for your son, your step-son.

MY OPINION

Preface – This entire post is solely my opinion and I am not stating it as fact!
Someone else made this point and I think it is valid –“when has pleading for the safe return of a child ever helped bring them home safely”? Having Kyron’s picture plastered everywhere is the #1 most important factor.
I think that the family and LE are making a smart move by being quiet and not sharing the details of what they know. I believe when the perp is caught, the fact that the LE/Family remained silent will only help the prosecution. It will be a hard case to make for “change of venue”, there will be specifics that only LE and Perp know, and there will be only specifics that LE, Family, Perp know.
Also, maybe LE purposely took a different approach to this case based on all of the missing children cases that have ended tragically.
At the end of the day, LE has proved their dedication and resolve to seeing this through the end! I don’t know enough about Kyron’s extended family to say one way or the other if they are involved, but I am confident the little bit I have read in print, and observed on TV is not enough to say guilty or even involvement. Some of the questions that have been asked by posters are truly thought provoking, and I would love to know the answers, but there not ours to know. I believe the questions LE has left as open ended – such as was the Dad home that day, why didn’t the parents go to the talent show, who are the unknown faces in the pictures – are either irrelevant to the case and don’t require and answer from LE OR the answers are crucial to the case and we won’t be hearing about them until after the perp has been arrested.

Assuming that the family is innocent, then BOTH are equally important.

It is clear that something bad has happened to Kyron. After so long, there aren't any good outcomes left, only some that are less awful than others.

Does compounding the injury to the family make whatever happened to Kyron any better? Absolutely not! It just makes an incredibly horrible event for them even more horrible.

I suggest reading some accounts by people who have been falsely accused. Many report consequences of inability to trust others, serious depression, suicidal ideation, PTSD, agoraphobia, etc, after they were cleared.

For a specific example, look at Steven Hatfill. Accused by the FBI of being responsible for the anthrax attacks mostly because he wrote a paper in 1999 about the possibility of anthrax attacks. He wrote that paper at the direction of his employer!

He lost his job, he was unable to find another job, his life was basically ruined. He was finally cleared because the FBI accused another man, who had committed suicide.

Steven Hatfill won a $5.1 million dollar settlement from the government but that doesn't set right what was done to him.
GrainneDhu,

No disrespect intended, but WHY would I want to read about other cases, and the fact that some people have been falsely accused? Why would I want to focus elsewhere, when this is a forum for Kyron? What does anyone else have to do with the fact that Terri could possibly have hurt Kyron? That, based on what we have been able to read and see, and hear, that she could now be lying and trying to cover up for her crime? She has not been "falsely" accused? She hasn't be formally accused at all.

This is a forum for Kyron. LE has stated that the last person to see him ("alive," in some statements) was his step-mother, Terri Horman.

WE are all here discussing this case. We all have our own views.

My opinion

Just throwing it out there - but if LE really thought the SM did this - I would think that at this point LE would presume that Kyron was not longer alive - what would LE accomplish by not labeling her a person of interest - what would the point be of not questioning her and putting the pressure on her to disclose the location of Kyron? My thoughts are if LE believes SM is involved – the do not believe she acted alone, because in my mind, I can’t think of any other reason why they would allow her to remain “free”. In my mind, it is eithr because 1.) They don’t think she had anything to do with it OR 2.) She is involved, but she is not the only one who participated in his disappearance.

I think it is short-sighted to solely look at the SM because she has chosen to act in ways that don't fit what is classified as "societies norms" - keep a close eye on her and her comings and goings – sure, retrace every move she made that day and the days leading up to his disappearance absolutely, look at her past and the entire family’s past – yes; but to become so focused on one individual increases the chances of missing another viable lead that could just bring Kyron home.

Just throwing it out there - but if LE really thought the SM did this - I would think that at this point LE would presume that Kyron was not longer alive - what would LE accomplish by not labeling her a person of interest - what would the point be of not questioning her and putting the pressure on her to disclose the location of Kyron? My thoughts are if LE believes SM is involved – the do not believe she acted alone, because in my mind, I can’t think of any other reason why they would allow her to remain “free”. In my mind, it is eithr because 1.) They don’t think she had anything to do with it OR 2.) She is involved, but she is not the only one who participated in his disappearance.

I think it is short-sighted to solely look at the SM because she has chosen to act in ways that don't fit what is classified as "societies norms" - keep a close eye on her and her comings and goings – sure, retrace every move she made that day and the days leading up to his disappearance absolutely, look at her past and the entire family’s past – yes; but to become so focused on one individual increases the chances of missing another viable lead that could just bring Kyron home.

Exactly.

And if TMH is truly innocent, then secondary wounding is unjust.

Should she be named as a suspect or charged, then there will be plenty of time to rip her every blink, word and action to pieces. To drag her through the mud just because she may be charged at some point in the future is a terrible excuse and starts to verge on vigilante justice in my opinion.

GrainneDhu,

No disrespect intended, but WHY would I want to read about other cases, and the fact that some people have been falsely accused?

You asked earlier:

What is more important? This family's "feelings" or Kyron?

My post was an attempt to answer your question.

Why would I want to focus elsewhere, when this is a forum for Kyron? What does anyone else have to do with the fact that Terri could possibly have hurt Kyron? That, based on what we have been able to read and see, and hear, that she could now be lying and trying to cover up for her crime? She has not been "falsely" accused? She hasn't be formally accused at all.

This is a forum for Kyron. LE has stated that the last person to see him ("alive," in some statements) was his step-mother, Terri Horman.

My opinion

As you are not interested in knowing about other cases, I suppose you're not interested in knowing how false suspicions and accusations slowed down the hunt for the real perpetrators in the cases of Jaycee Dugard, Elizabeth Smart, Riley Fox, etc.

Focusing too narrowly on a certain theory or perpetrator is a known hazard of LE investigations. In the Homolka/Bernardo case, for example, it allowed the perpetrators to commit at least three more murders.

Focusing too narrowly on TMH, with the rationalization that her feelings or the feelings of Kyron's family don't matter, could be a huge mistake. And one that would allow a perpetrator to strike again.

GrainneDhu,

No disrespect intended, but WHY would I want to read about other cases, and the fact that some people have been falsely accused? Why would I want to focus elsewhere, when this is a forum for Kyron? What does anyone else have to do with the fact that Terri could possibly have hurt Kyron? That, based on what we have been able to read and see, and hear, that she could now be lying and trying to cover up for her crime? She has not been "falsely" accused? She hasn't be formally accused at all.

My opinion
I don't recall LE stating "alive".

And FWIW, she may not have been formally 'accused' by authorities (those involved in this case), but she sure as hell is being torn apart and accused by media and/or by anonymous people on the internet (those not involved in this case).

Maybe we are not understanding one anther, Calliope.

I responded to your post, believing that you meant that you did not blame Kyron's family for not speaking out because people would just pick them apart. If I'm incorrect, please set me straight. My response meant:

Who cares what people say about them? What matters is, getting out there and pleading for your son, your step-son.

MY OPINION
My initial response was to GrainneDhu's 'no win' comment. Then you asked "What is more important? This family's "feelings" or Kyron?"

I answered that. Attacks and accusations such as I described don't do anything to help Kyron.

Preface – This entire post is solely my opinion and I am not stating it as fact!
Someone else made this point and I think it is valid –“when has pleading for the safe return of a child ever helped bring them home safely”? Having Kyron’s picture plastered everywhere is the #1 most important factor.
I think that the family and LE are making a smart move by being quiet and not sharing the details of what they know. I believe when the perp is caught, the fact that the LE/Family remained silent will only help the prosecution. It will be a hard case to make for “change of venue”, there will be specifics that only LE and Perp know, and there will be only specifics that LE, Family, Perp know.
Also, maybe LE purposely took a different approach to this case based on all of the missing children cases that have ended tragically.
At the end of the day, LE has proved their dedication and resolve to seeing this through the end! I don’t know enough about Kyron’s extended family to say one way or the other if they are involved, but I am confident the little bit I have read in print, and observed on TV is not enough to say guilty or even involvement. Some of the questions that have been asked by posters are truly thought provoking, and I would love to know the answers, but there not ours to know. I believe the questions LE has left as open ended – such as was the Dad home that day, why didn’t the parents go to the talent show, who are the unknown faces in the pictures – are either irrelevant to the case and don’t require and answer from LE OR the answers are crucial to the case and we won’t be hearing about them until after the perp has been arrested.

Excellent. Thank you.

Media, the public and internet peeps dissecting, analyzing, and attacking their every move, action, word and blink helps kyron... how?

You are so right. The kinds of picking apart that we have seen by amateurs is a far cry from sleuthing. It's harmful to people who should be considered victims until there is any evidence that they are perpetrators.

GrainneDhu,

My opinion

LE has stated at least twice that the types of accusations being made on the internet are HURTFUL to Kyron's family. Doing things one knows is hurtful because "Terri could possibly have hurt Kyron" is irresponsible and mean, IMO. It does NOTHING to help Kyron. And the fact that she hasn't been formally accused does not mean that people all over the internet HAVE hesitated to accuse her.

Even in this forum, she has been accused of playing games on her FB during the time LE has told us she was at the school. She has been accused of taking the picture on Thursday instead of Friday, of never bringing Kyron to school on Friday, even though LE has said the picture was taken on the day Kyron went missing......

If I've learned anything from this case, I think it is that I would be VERY, VERY HESITANT to go public, because a large percent of the public seems to be much more interested in gossip mongering than helping. That is the truth I believe GrainneDhu is trying to convey when she mentions other cases in which the public was very wrong and caused irreparable damage to innocent individuals and families. My opinion.

It would keep the media's attention. That is the reason for public pleas. Most pleas don't work if someone has taken your child, but it keeps the media putting your child's picture out there.

That being said with the LE not wanting the public to help search and the LE keeping everything quiet... A public plea is all their going to be able to do to keep his picture out there.

All this tells me is that the LE knows their is no point in a public plea. They already know what happened or they have mucked up this investigation from word go.

It would keep the media's attention. That is the reason for public pleas. Most pleas don't work if someone has taken your child, but it keeps the media putting your child's picture out there.

That being said with the LE not wanting the public to help search and the LE keeping everything quiet... A public plea is all their going to be able to do to keep his picture out there.

All this tells me is that the LE knows their is no point in a public plea. They already know what happened or they have mucked up this investigation from word go.

I was taken back that you feel the LE has "mucked up" the investigation. I don't get that sense at all... do you mind elaborating? I am wondering if I have missed something in my readings or what you have heard, read, or seen that brought you to this conclusion.

LE has stated at least twice that the types of accusations being made on the internet are HURTFUL to Kyron's family. Doing things one knows is hurtful because "Terri could possibly have hurt Kyron" is irresponsible and mean, IMO. It does NOTHING to help Kyron. And the fact that she hasn't been formally accused does not mean that people all over the internet HAVE accused her.

Even in this forum, she has been accused of playing games on her FB during the time LE has told us she was at the school. She has been accused of taking the picture on Thursday instead of Friday, of never bringing Kyron to school on Friday, even though LE has said the picture was taken on the day Kyron went missing......

If I've learned anything from this case, I think it is that I would be VERY, VERY HESITANT to go public, because a large percent of the public seems to be much more interested in gossip mongering than helping. That is the truth I believe GrainneDhu is trying to convey when she mentions other cases in which the public was very wrong and caused irreparable damage to innocent individuals and families. My opinion.

Personally I wouldn't care what people were saying about me if my child was missing. It isn't about me when my child is missing.

If people are talking about my messed up family or whether I'm a hoochie, dye my hair, am too fat, or that I am uncaring... I would not give a rip. At least people are talking about the case. At least people are talking about my missing child.

I am so sick of people worrying about themselves and what people on the internet think about them and NOT about their KIDS!!!

Why is someone worrying about hurtful things being said about this family? The most hurtful thing to this family is the fact that their child is missing and possibly deceadent. At least I hope so.

My parents always told me that when I have a child it isn't about me anymore. It isn't about my wants, needs, or desires anymore. It is about my child!

Sorry for the rant but I'm fed up... MOO!!!

This wasn't directed at any particular person(s) on here.

Other than not having twice-a-day press conferences, I don't see where he's dropped out of sight. I think it was GrainneDhu who said she expects the family to release or speak at intervals, in order to keep his name out there. I believe that's exactly what we're seeing happen. Desiree's letter, the school videos. I think this is well thought out and probably being led and scripted by LE and/or the stepfather. Think back on some of the stories that gained national attention where the family was in the media constantly from the word go. There's a saturation point where people stop paying attention, regardless of how in your face the family is. I think they're proceeding wisely, putting out just enough, just often enough, to keep the public's interest piqued.

I was taken back that you feel the LE has "mucked up" the investigation. I don't get that sense at all... do you mind elaborating? I am wondering if I have missed something in my readings or what you have heard, read, or seen that brought you to this conclusion.

I was just saying either they have mucked it up or they know what happened. I personally believe the LE knows what happened.

It's just odd that in most all cases people are begging for searchers but not in this case.

Other than not having twice-a-day press conferences, I don't see where he's dropped out of sight.

Exactly except for the article today saying that the LE is hoping media attention isn't dwindling. I thought that was odd to but I was just saying if that is what their worrying about, it's pretty much their fault.

Investigators Worried Public Losing Interest in Kyron
http://kezi.com/news/local/178947

Exactly except for the article today saying that the LE is hoping media attention isn't dwindling. I thought that was odd to but I was just saying if that is what their worrying about, it's pretty much their fault.

Investigators Worried Public Losing Interest in Kyron
http://kezi.com/news/local/178947

The article itself is publicity...

I'm impressed with the way they are handling this case.

Psyops :)

Appearing in front of the media seems to divert attention away from the missing child and onto the people who are appearing. Pictures of Kyron would solicit far more information than pics and words of parents. Judgmental America can't help but be judgmental. moo mho

So much attention was paid to : Too many tears, not enough tears, no tears; excessive blinking; tone of voice; holding hands or not holding hands; standing too close or not close enough; was that a hug or not a hug; eyes rolling or not; sounds more sincere not so sincere; no eye contact means lying; too much eye contact means lying; forced smile or real; too needy or not needy enough; too much emotion not enough emotion; cold voice and warm voice, and a gazillion other interpretations all make the media appearance seem quiet worthless. moo mho Hands down it's a smart decision to stay out of the media. What on earth do any of the interpretations have to do with finding Kyron? moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*