Why is LE treating this case different?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I believe they stayed quite awhile with Somer Thompsens mother...(and they made it clear from the start she was NOT a suspect, if I recall correctly)..

I believe, as others have suggested, that the media has been instructed by LE to protect some KNOWN evidence. *But I'm more certain that the generality is that they don't have *enough* evidence to make an arrest, and IMO they are continuing to look for and gather evidence so that they have DO have enough. In the meantime, don't tip your hand! I don't think they've told the media very much tho, because it would have leaked.*

I believe it is possible that SM is involved, but I also believe it is possible she is, cooperatively being used as a decoy. Perhaps LE hopes to make the real perp feel comfortably off the radar until they have enough info to arrest and hold her/him * Maybe, maybe not.

The behavior of LE in this case somewhat reminds me of Larimer County, Colorado Sheriff Jim Alderdon in the Falcon Heene "Balloon Boy" case. *THAT man deserved an Academy Award! *He had me believing that he was a 100% fool. *Brilliant psychological manipulation and persuasive investigation work. *I hope that's the situation here too, and we'll be cheering for LE and calling them heros when this is over. *So much more is at stake here. *(At least, once we knew Falcon was safe) *

I did read about a case that actually happened in that area years ago where a young 7 year old child was taken from school. *In fact iirc he left her for dead but she lived. *That case was never solved.

Really? I mentioned in my post above (# 52, page 3 of this thread), that I felt like one reason this case is unusual is because of the unusual location of the disappearance ie. He vanished from a school full of friends and acquaintances. That is plainly different from other abductions. *Even abductions that happen in public places like Adam Walsh's,( IIRC that was in a Sears) A mall, or department store is full of STRANGERS, not people who know your name, family, and the sound of your laughter. *That also means Kyron himself would have a reasonable chance of knowing immediately that a stranger was out of place at his school. With only 300 total students, he would likely be able to identify and distinguish familiar faces from novel ones. *This case is just not the same as usual. *I'd be interested in going back to read ANY other cases where children went missing from a full school with the day in progress. * (or church, perhaps, or other settings FULL of many people KNOWN to the victim.) I think reading and understanding solved or unsolved cases similar to this one could guide thought processes that will result in resolution. *Multnomah County Sheriff Dan Staton has specifically identified this unique quality as the reason they asked for FBI assistance so quickly: *

Snipped From: Kyron Hormon Search May Have Suffered From Confluence of Delays

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/kyron_horman_search_may_have_s.html

Sometime between 7 and 7:45 p.m., Staton personally called the FBI. He said the circumstances -- Kyron disappeared from school on a busy morning -- prompted him to ask for help from the feds.

"I wanted them involved because the last time this child was seen was inside a school," he said. "This was not a child walking away from their home or getting lost in the woods. This is a child who got lost inside a school with faculty there. That was the last time the child was seen."
[

Any way you slice it, this is a weird one.*

Greenpalm, I read...good points but I do not know about the Media holding known facts about the case back. I cannot see the media being able to hold anything released back for long. Look at KOIN...they made a major fopaw with that release about supposedly finding a body because they wanted to be the first to report on something. Media is dangerous.

I think especially after the "balloon boy" incident LE is very careful what is released to the media. I think that is exactly what is happening in this case-they are being overly careful what is released. I just hope lack of releasing details does not backfire on LE.

The media will lose interest without pieces of info being fed. I've considered that is why the announcement came out Friday when it did. To keep this case alive in the public-problem is people in the community are frustratred, scared and impatient and now want to skewer the SM with the suggestion at her 2nd poly. I think overall people just want the person responsible caught. I do too.

I cannot believe how downright nasty some people can get with some of their posts. I.E OregonLive.com If decisions were made up to the public I am sure their would be a lynch mob after her, but I must remind, none of us really know if she is responsible or not. It might be looking like something is up with her, but we don't know do we? Not yet.

I think that LE might also be handling this case differently because of the step-dad being LE. He probably knows how to handle things much differently than the rest of us and has advice for the family. If LE was not handling this correctly I would think he would be the first to realize that.

The title should read Step-Dad...I can't seem to edit.

I wonder if LE is thinking that the perp will bring Kyron back alive and well and is giving them a chance to do so. They have not given out any information so they may have even gotten a ransom note. Wish we knew more.

BBM. That is what I thought back in the beginning. I don't think anyone agreed w/ me. I am still trying to hold out hope that, in some miraculous way, Kyron will be brought home safely.

I do!!! And I did. I think a ransom (or even just taunting communication with LE and the family) would explain a LOT!

Like, why are they searching the woods and water, but LE's comments are addressed to Kyron as if he might hear?

And why are they keeping the family so secure and away from the media? (Don't you remember how Scott Peterson's interviews came back to bite him in the rear? That could be HUGELY helpful to have a long Diane Sawyer interview with the family and see what pops up.)

Why do they think the risk to other children is low, but can't rule out a stranger-on-stranger crime? Unless Kyron was targeted but they don't know exactly who yet.

Threats against the family and/or a ransom demand would explain all of it. Personally I think that the PCs/flier might be a message to the person responsible.

I don't know. So perplexing and sad. It's like a book I'm reading where I'm dying to know who did it so I read faster. Wish we could "read faster" IRL to figure out where Kyron is.

I'm trying to get caught up here so please be gentle if this has already been addressed. I did post it on another thread; but, I do not remember which one or seeing if anyone responded.

Anyway, is there anyone on here that has a premium account w/ weatherbug (I don't or I would check this myself)? I was reading on another site that weatherbug has cameras for the purpose of seeing what the weather is in certain places. It could very well be that weatherbug could have camera footage of the questionable areas that SM could have been in or possibly even video footage of or near Skyline Elementary. I read that weatherbug archives their video footage; and, people w/ a premium account could go back and view them from June 3 and/or 4th?

I would be very interested in knowing if anyone has checked this. TIA

Great idea, but the closest WeatherBug station to the school is at Jacob Wismer Elementary, it looks like.
http://weather.weatherbug.com/OR/Portland-weather/weather-station.html?zcode=z6286

Yes, LE stayed with Somer Thompson's family for 3 weeks 24/7.

IMO, LE knows who,what,when, but needs where, why and a body to make a case.
All i's dotted and all t's crossed............close to the vest. Big time.

IMO, LE knows who,what,when, but needs where, why and a body to make a case.
All i's dotted and all t's crossed............close to the vest. Big time.

I don't think they necessarily need a body, but it would be more challenging to prosecute.

I think that in every case across the country, LE learns or adapts something new from a prior investigation. One thing that seems to have become "popular" is the lack of information given to public about the investigation or circumstances of the case. I don't think this case is being treated by LE so differently from others except that they have been forced to work around the fact that for the first time I can recall, they are working with a family who is not willing/able to be out front and speak to the cameras and this is making them have to address that, which should be a non-issue. Also, the fact that FB has become a factor makes it different, just by existing. Otherwise, I am not so sure this case is being treated in any special way.

I am off for a day-surgery now and may be out of sorts when I return home, but would love to return to a big break in the case. So keep working on it...:)

I think that in every case across the country, LE learns or adapts something new from a prior investigation. One thing that seems to have become "popular" is the lack of information given to public about the investigation or circumstances of the case. I don't think this case is being treated by LE so differently from others except that they have been forced to work around the fact that for the first time I can recall, they are working with a family who is not willing/able to be out front and speak to the cameras and this is making them have to address that, which should be a non-issue. Also, the fact that FB has become a factor makes it different, just by existing. Otherwise, I am not so sure this case is being treated in any special way.

I am off for a day-surgery now and may be out of sorts when I return home, but would love to return to a big break in the case. So keep working on it...:)

Hi Cluciano, I think what hits the public between the eyes here is Kyron's search was the largest ever done in the State of Oregon. With that enormous effort it doesn't begin to match the scrap bones they have thrown to the public for such an important case.

I think much of what we have learned is by inuendo and what they haven't said.

PS: I wish you well in your surgery today and look forward to your return. ;}

good luck and take it easy today!

I do!!! And I did. I think a ransom (or even just taunting communication with LE and the family) would explain a LOT!

Like, why are they searching the woods and water, but LE's comments are addressed to Kyron as if he might hear?

And why are they keeping the family so secure and away from the media? (Don't you remember how Scott Peterson's interviews came back to bite him in the rear? That could be HUGELY helpful to have a long Diane Sawyer interview with the family and see what pops up.)

Why do they think the risk to other children is low, but can't rule out a stranger-on-stranger crime? Unless Kyron was targeted but they don't know exactly who yet.

Threats against the family and/or a ransom demand would explain all of it. Personally I think that the PCs/flier might be a message to the person responsible.

I don't know. So perplexing and sad. It's like a book I'm reading where I'm dying to know who did it so I read faster. Wish we could "read faster" IRL to figure out where Kyron is.

I agree about the questionaire. It was definitely put out there for a reason. What reason? Why not question these potential witnesses in person? IMO it was done with a specific purpose in mind.

I'm new to this thread, so please pardon me if this question has already been addressed. Any chance LE could get a warrant for a bug to place inside the boy's home? Could they already have some info from doing that?

I'm just sick with worry about this child. I pray there is news soon.

Thanks nursebeeme, and your link above provided me with a link to a CBS affiliate that led me to the below listed link which in turn finally explained for me why no amber alert was ever issued on Kyron.

http://www.oregon.gov/OSP/AMBERALERT/program_criteria.shtml

Law enforcement must confirm that an abduction has taken place.

The child must be at risk of serious injury or death.

There must be sufficient descriptive information on the child, captor, or captor's vehicle to issue an alert.

The child must be 17 years old or younger.

Any chance LE could get a warrant for a bug to place inside the boy's home?

It would be very difficult for LE to be able to get a warrant to do that, according to a criminal defense lawyer I called. That is a complicated issue, so I gave up trying to research it for you -- it would take way too much time.

If you Google "Title 3 Intercept Surveillance Warrant", you can find the rules that must be followed before the feds can get one.

Then you would have to Google to find out how the states handle it, particularly Oregon. (I tried and don't have time to wade through it.)

If you want to, you can also Google Oregon's laws on what happens if a private citizen "bugs" a person's phone and home.

Ya think LE put GPS/tracking on the truck while it was in for service?

Today, 01:38 AM
greenpalm
Registered User Join Date: Jun 2010

snipped by me
I believe it is possible that SM is involved, but I also believe it is possible she is, cooperatively being used as a decoy. Perhaps LE hopes to make the real perp feel comfortably off the radar until they have enough info to arrest and hold her/him * Maybe, maybe not.

It would be way to dangerous to set TH/SM up as a decoy. People's emotions run to high and if she is not staying in the house, with the le, 24 hours a day something bad could happen. People are crazy and some are unstable and they might kill her. If that happened then the sheriff's dept. is going to be liable.

The decoy thing makes no sense to me, since her friend has been out there defending her...if she had been cleared, I doubt she would need/want to be seen as complaining to the public about the questioning she is still getting, the 2nd LD test, etc...unelss this is ALL some elaborate ploy including the use of her friend, which is beyond belief to me.

I am home from my procedure and still enjoying the drugs but will likely pass out soon...so please find Kyron in the meantime...:(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back