GUILTY WI - Alexander Woodworth, 24, stabbed 16 times by Ezra McCandless, Eau Claire, Mar 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did they say she still had the knife on her when she went to the 90 year old mans house (where the ambulance was called)?

So glad this thread has opened. I’ve been following Teresa’s trial closely but checking this one also. Very interesting trial; love triangles, gender identify issues (which don’t appear to be an issue at hand though), stalking etc. I need to go back and listen to opening statements.

ETA: Oh I forgot about “boy” being carved into her arm...so maybe the gender identity thing is an issue. I just don’t know enough about this one but I’m glad it is on Court TV.

I'm not sure whats happening either. I've been watching on and off on court tv and have not been able to really get into this trial. The defendant appears very strange and she keeps staring at the camera. What I don't understand is how she was able to overpower Alex and stab him 16 times. She had a couple tiny little puncture wounds, some knife scratches, and a cut lip and "boy" scratched into her arm. Medical examiner says injuries were self inflicted. Maybe Alex was tied up or something since it seems they were into bdsm or some such kink, not sure? The motive for killing him is vague. Maybe that he wouldn't lie for her and accuse another man of having raped her(which he didn't)so she could keep her other boyfriend? This is some kind of 3 man triangle with a woman that previously identified as a male and then decided to be female again.

I'm not sure whats happening either. I've been watching on and off on court tv and have not been able to really get into this trial. The defendant appears very strange and she keeps staring at the camera. What I don't understand is how she was able to overpower Alex and stab him 16 times. She had a couple tiny little puncture wounds, some knife scratches, and a cut lip and "boy" scratched into her arm. Medical examiner says injuries were self inflicted. Maybe Alex was tied up or something since it seems they were into bdsm or some such kink, not sure? The motive for killing him is vague. Maybe that he wouldn't lie for her and accuse another man of having raped her(which he didn't)so she could keep her other boyfriend? This is some kind of 3 man triangle with a woman that previously identified as a male and then decided to be female again.

My opinion is that since Alex had a journal, she was afraid he would tell JM. I think she wanted to get rid of Alex, she has already falsely claimed rape before. JM apparently believed her. What I don’t like is she tried to say she didn’t know her name at first, then said her birth name instead of the name she was going by, and she gave a vague address. She is also seen laughing during the trial breaks, I think one of the times the jury was present so I’m sure they will take note of that. Again MOO.

My opinion is that since Alex had a journal, she was afraid he would tell JM. I think she wanted to get rid of Alex, she has already falsely claimed rape before. JM apparently believed her. What I don’t like is she tried to say she didn’t know her name at first, then said her birth name instead of the name she was going by, and she gave a vague address. She is also seen laughing during the trial breaks, I think one of the times the jury was present so I’m sure they will take note of that. Again MOO.

I just heard a snip of her police interview and she admitted she carved the word "boy" on her arm. She claims she passed out in the car and woke up and then did that. The snip video went so fast but I think she claims she passed out twice in the car. I should either really watch this trial or just stop, lol.

I’m watching the Sievers closing arguments. Wonder if McCandless is being uploaded to You Tube? I think Law and Crime uploads their trials but not sure about Court TV.

This is a very interesting case but there is so much background info missing or scattered through msm. I went back to make a timeline from the MSM until I have more time to watch all of the trial, hopefully it is helpful!

Of note is that every single article I looked up except the AP article in the StarTribune was blocked by GDPR, so that may have contributed to the low profile of the case.

Background

Alexander Woodworth , 24
W29BLyy.jpg

Alex's Obituary, March 28, 2018
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions
Alexander attended Osceola High School and graduated class of 2012. He furthered his education at the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Philosophy and Biology in the spring of 2017. Alexander worked at a coffee shop downtown in Eau Claire, he was tutor on campus and also taught a few philosophy classes at the local high school in Eau Claire.

Facebook: Alex Woodworth (none of the others are on his friendslist)

ezr.jpg

Ezra McCandless , 2o (female)
McCandless was an employee of the Stanley-Boyd Area School District as of March 22, according to court filings.

McCandless told multiple people that she was assaulted by two people as a child, by a man in 2017 and by another man in 2018.

The Eau Claire Police Department is investigating the 2018 assault allegation against one of the men, according to a court filing.

McCandless filed a report of sexual assault with the Eau Claire Police Department one month before Woodworth was stabbed. (her attorneys allege)But the report was false, an attempt to cover up a consensual sexual relationship with a different man, prosecutors said in a March 6 court filing. Sexually graphic text messages, allegedly between McCandless and the man accused of the assault, show the encounter was consensual, prosecutors say.

Her attorneys say in a court filing: “… the state really has no evidence that McCandless’ report of her sexual encounter with John Hansen is an untruthful allegation of sexual assault.”

As she was being treated by medical staff after the stabbing, she said her name was Ezra McCandless and that she had changed her name from Monica Karlen in 2015.

She has no detectable social media under either name.

Gender Identity

'Transgender' Woman Stabs Boyfriend To Death Because He Preferred It When She Identified As A Boy
Doesn't say much but gives a compelling motive. I wish the media understood what transgender means, though. A transgender woman is an individual who is biologically male and is in transition or fully transitioned to a female (at which point they should simply be called women). Ezra would be a transgender male if she in fact was transitioning to a male identity (which she wasn't/isn't according to everyone).

Criminal Complaint:

Around 4:15 p.m. March 22
, a Town of Spring Brook resident called Dunn County dispatch to say a woman had arrived at his residence on foot. The man said the woman was bleeding, her clothes were torn, she was not wearing any shoes and her pants were covered in mud, according to the criminal complaint.

The Dunn County deputy who responded to the residence, along with a state trooper, noted the woman’s hair was disheveled, her pants were muddy to the knees, and she appeared to have blood around her mouth, on her knuckles, on her left arm and on her upper right thigh, which was visible through an “L” shaped hole in her pants, the complaint notes.

When the deputy asked if the woman had any identification, she indicated she did not. The deputy observed that the woman appeared to be very upset.

When the trooper asked if the woman was from Eau Claire, she said she was, but she was unable to provide an address or her name. When the trooper asked if there was anyone they could contact for her, she said they could contact Jason Mengle.

When the deputy called Mengle, the man said the last time he had seen McCandless was when she was with Woodworth at Woodworth’s residence in Eau Claire.

On March 23, 2018, LE found Alexander L. Woodworth, 24, of Eau Claire lying partially out of the driver’s side rear door in a 2003 Chevy Impala, which was later confirmed to be McCandless’s vehicle. The driver’s side rear door was standing open, and clothing items were lying on the ground.
Detectives had followed EMs footprints from the man's house.

These links give all essential details of the investigation: Outline - Read & annotate without distractions and Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

A folding pocket knife was found as well as foot tracks in the snow and the back cover of a cell phone. Although a search for Woodworth’s phone on March 27 proved unsuccessful, his L6 cell phone was found two days later in the melting snow 100 to 150 feet from where the knife had been found. The battery was not in the phone.

March 27
, EM is in custody and charged with homicide. Alex had been stabbed 16 times.

(according to EM) The altercation started because Woodworth had called her a boy and had cut her arm with the word “boy,” the complaint states.

McCandless said Woodworth attacked her in the vehicle.
The two had met down a deserted country road after they agreed to meet to discuss breaking up. Ezra says that Alex was upset with her because he had stopped identifying as a man, an identity the victim is said to have preferred).

McCandless said she grabbed the blade of the knife, was able to get it away from Woodworth, and said she stabbed Woodworth “anywhere and everywhere.” McCandless told investigators, “I just started stabbing anything I could, everywhere,” the complaint states.

When investigators asked McCandless if Woodworth put the word on her arm as she had said earlier, she answered “no” and admitted she had put the word on her arm in the car after she had stabbed Woodworth, according to the complaint.

Link to photo (graphic)

Inside McCandless’ father’s residence, authorities found two drawings in a bag belonging to McCandless, Nodolf said.

The drawings were of “a similar knife to what was used (in the stabbing)”; that makes the drawings “highly relevant to motive and intent to kill Alexander Woodworth,” Nodolf said.

However, there’s no evidence McCandless created the drawings, except that they were found in her belongings, Dunn County District Attorney Andrea Nodolf said.

One of McCandless’ attorneys, Aaron Nelson of Hudson, called the drawings “irrelevant and not admissible.”

The three guys JM, JH and AW

A low-level, partial DNA mixture of at least two males was found on a swab of McCandless’ “external genitals,” according to a Wisconsin State Crime Laboratory report from analyst Kevin Scott.

A low-level DNA mixture of at least three males was found on a pubic swab from McCandless, according to the report.

A DNA profile consistent with Woodworth’s was also detected on a swab of McCandless’ right upper thigh.

McCandless had several injuries, including marks on her neck and cuts on her stomach, forearm, palm, inner and outer thigh and genital area, Nelson said.

Woman 'viciously stabbed boyfriend to death to try and get closer to sex buddy' | Metro News

Court Proceedings

DA Andrea Nodolf said in court that McCandless had admitted to the stabbing, but claims Woodworth attacked her.

A jury trial for Ezra J. McCandless, 21, is slated to begin April 2 in Dunn County. She is pleading not guilty to first-degree intentional homicide-use of a dangerous weapon.

Attorneys Aaron Nelson and Deborah Vishny of Milwaukee are defending McCandless.

Wisconsin Assistant Attorney General Richard Dufour and Dunn County District Attorney Andrea Nodolf are prosecuting the case.

Wisconsin Assistant Attorney General Richard Dufour and Dunn County District Attorney Andrea Nodolf say McCandless intentionally “lured Alex to Dunn County to murder him” to rid herself of guilt and regret surrounding her situation, according to a court filing. After receiving a doctor’s report, McCandless and her attorney Aaron Nelson decided the defense could not meet the burden of proof of an insanity plea, Nelson said at a hearing Wednesday.

Original story does not give names:
March 25,2018
Eau Claire man found dead in car, suspect identified

Woman in custody after man found dead in car near Eau Claire, Wis.
Published March 27, 2018

New Details in Dunn County Homicide Case
MARCH 29, 2018
Western Wisconsin woman stabbed man 16 times, carved ‘boy’ on her arm, charges say – Twin Cities
AP Article March 29, 2018 at 6:17 pm

UPDATE: Woman accused of Dunn Co. homicide charged
Apr 06, 2018
Stanley woman charged in slaying of Eau Claire man
BEN RUETER APRIL 07, 2018

Spring Brook homicide suspect says man attacked her
APRIL 17, 2018

Stanley woman deemed competent to stand trial in Springbrook stabbing case
MAY 22, 2018

Stranley woman headed toward trial on murder charge
CHRIS VETTER DECEMBER 03, 2018

Woman withdraws insanity plea in Dunn County homicide
SARAH SEIFERT DUNN COUNTY NEWS FEBRUARY 06, 2019

DNA, other evidence spurs court fight in Dunn County stabbing case
SARAH SEIFERT DUNN COUNTY NEWS MARCH 08, 2019
Attorneys disagree on homicide theories
SARAH SEIFERT DUNN COUNTY NEWS MARCH 08, 2019

Cases don’t get any more serious’: McCandless trial rescheduled for October
SARAH SEIFERT DUNN COUNTY NEWS MARCH 22, 2019

Journals, drawings are potential evidence in Dunn County homicide case
SARAH SEIFERT EAU CLAIRE LEADER-TELEGRAM JUNE 26, 2019

Defense must provide more details of memory expert's testimony in Dunn County homicide case
TRAVIS NYHUS SEPTEMBER 27, 2019

Bizarre murder trial underway in WI getting national attention
OCTOBER 21, 2019
Woman 'viciously stabbed boyfriend to death to try and get closer to sex buddy' | Metro News
Women Stabbed Boyfriend to Death To Get Closer To Sex Buddy
Oct 21, 2019

Last edited:
I haven't seen this discussed here, and I tried to search. Court tv is showing this trial which began this morning.

Summary from the following site:Trial begins in Dunn County stabbing death case

Dunn County (WQOW) – The trial is underway Monday in a Dunn County murder case.

Ezra McCandless is accused of stabbing Alexander Woodworth of Eau Claire 16 times in March of 2018.

His body was found in a car in Springbrook township between Eau Claire and Menomonie.

Prosecutors say McCandless showed up at a home not far from the crime scene barefoot and disheveled with some blood around her mouth.

The 21-year old is charged with 1st degree intentional homicide. She’s pleaded not guilty to the charge.

On Monday, attorneys spent the day selecting the jury. Judge James Peterson anticipates opening statements will be made Tuesday morning.

Both the state and the defense are scheduled to call several expert witnesses to the stand including law enforcement.

The trial is expected to last three weeks.
Thank you for starting this thread. I've been searching everywhere on this site to find it because I did not want to duplicate the thread.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back