GUILTY WI - Apple River multiple stabbing; one teen dead, 4 other people hurt; 52 year old man arrested, July 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting. Actually I find this prosecutor to be quite well spoken, speaking clearly and slowly, without introducing emotion or other irreverent or disrespectful conduct. From the case of this defendant, to have had to review all the evidence and that video….. that cannot be an easy task. IMO I support his summation and comments as quite appropriate. And thankful that he is presenting this as he is now. It is about the losses, not this defendant. Those lost or hurt and the sentence for the conduct by the convicted defendant. MOO

Quite surprised. It looked like the Judge agreed with most of the defense arguments, particularly the part that the criminal justice system makes it very difficult for defendants to show remorse and accepted the remorse he showed in court today rather than in those jail calls to his brother, as presented by the state.

With credit for time served I make it out to be 18 more years in prison for Miu before he is released.

JMO

He's 54, there's a very good chance he's not going to live to be free
judging by how much he has gone downhill physically since verdict he will die in prison. I don't think he has any interest in living...just the impression I got. I was surprised that judge went as light as he did considering I think he is a bit of a threat if the situation was right. I have not listened to the calls with brother but how stupid was that? Everyone knows they are recorded and can be used against you.

trying to watch the replay of the hearing:

Defense attorney about the defendant: he has suffered a traumatic event and has suffered for it in jail ptsd. we aren't here to blame others for events (proceeds to do just that).

if you sentence him to too long it will not have the desired effect in preventing the public from doing what he's been found guilty of. My client is a GOOD man.

Circumstances made him do it.

uggh. I may need to tune out getting annoyed.

Defense continues to describe events of the day in a light which seems to blame others and not his own found guilty client.

defendant reads statement stating he is remorseful and asking for forgiveness.

trying to watch the replay of the hearing:

Defense attorney about the defendant: he has suffered a traumatic event and has suffered for it in jail ptsd. we aren't here to blame others for events (proceeds to do just that).

if you sentence him to too long it will not have the desired effect in preventing the public from doing what he's been found guilty of. My client is a GOOD man.

Circumstances made him do it.

uggh. I may need to tune out getting annoyed.

Defense continues to describe events of the day in a light which seems to blame others and not his own found guilty client.

defendant reads statement stating he is remorseful and asking for forgiveness.
Yes tlcya ^….. similar effect here. After following the case at length, and then hearing defense summation that was a bit difficult. And to continue to refer to his client having had a ‘tool’ with him that day. (Yes, IIRC counsel might have acknowledged it was a knife at one point but not often.) But IIRC he frequently cited his ‘tool’ that he had in his possession on the river. No mention of that machete later found in the car.

And counsel’s discussion about conversations with his own wife. If that was my counsel I think I would have been livid. And to then suggest that the judge had ‘tools’ at his discretion for sentencing his client. Still SMH for that analogy.

That said, IMO this defendant while making his brief statement did seem somewhat remorseful and regretful for this. And affected by this matter. (By comparison see the case of the defendant Ashley Benefield in Florida convicted last evening.)

Sad case all around. MOO

For anyone who may have missed this and its on the record:

APPLE RIVER STABBING: Join our @FOX9 live sentencing coverage right now. Nicolae Miu is in court in jailhouse orange. He will soon learn his fate, facing decades in prison. Isaac Schuman's family calls him an "evil monster," demands max sentence. https://youtube.com/live/z9TqcKxdd10?si=bNIjgR6w_CYcEaLr

APPLE RIVER STABBING SENTENCING: Prosecutors have made their ask -- 70 years in prison for Nicolae Miu. Little short of potential max for mass stabbing that killed Isaac Schuman while tubing. Defense making its arguments now. Miu should learn fate shortly. @FOX9 live right now.

APPLE RIVER STABBING SENTENCING: Nicolae Miu sheds tears as his legal team details his character while making legal arguments at sentencing. Prosecutors want him doing 70 years. Defense seems to be setting the table for an ask of probation. @FOX9 LIVE NOW: https://youtube.com/live/z9TqcKxdd10?si=eMct5I6jaH6Q9Qpr

1722617976729.png
APPLE RIVER STABBING SENTENCING: Yes, Nicolae Miu's legal team making argument for probation. Miu convicted of 1st degree reckless homicide & 4 counts of 1st degree recklessly endangering safety. "Justice is not vengeance," says def atty Aaron Nelson.

BREAKING: NICOLAE MIU sentenced to 20 years in prison. Well short of potential max. Judge runs sentences concurrently for all stabbing victims on Apple River including Isaac Schuman homicide. In Wisconsin, MIU will spend full 20 years behind bars.

Joining @DanBarreiroKFAN shortly to wrap up sentencing day for Nicolae Miu in the Apple River stabbing case. Judge handed Miu 20 years in prison. State had asked for 70 yrs behind bars. Max called for 95+. He'll be out in 18 w/ time already served.

@PaulBlume_FOX9

ISSAC SCHUMAN FAMILY REACTS TO MIU SENTENCING: "I was expecting maybe double what he got," says Isaac's father Scott Schuman about the 20-year prison sentence. Schuman added, he is glad he doesn't have to be judge and "make the decision." WATCH @FOX9:

"I never meant for this tragedy to occur."
He never accepted responsibility!! IMO.. The tragedy didn't "occur". HE caused it. What did he think would occur when he stabbed and gutted two humans?? IMO
IMO, he didn't cause it. The group of drunken teenagers who acted like a lynch mob, surrounding a man alone, taunting and cursing him, one step from beating him down--they caused it. The jury got it wrong. The whole thing is a miscarriage of justice, IMO.

I've been occupied this week and am just catching up on the sentencing of Miu now.
At first I saw the video of him in court, shrunken and crying. He is a shell of a man. I felt sorry for him.

And then I saw that his lawyer said that he was a GOOD man. I wish he had said he was just an average man who got caught up in a situation. And then I saw that Miu said he wished the event hadn't 'occurred'. Yikes. There goes my much of my sympathy.

Yes, I still have an iota of sympathy for Miu. I think culturally he carried an arrogance that was offended by disrespectful teens. But he went well beyond what was appropriate, no matter the culture.

No winners. All losers.
Such a sad case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member