WI - Audrey Seiler for faking abduction, Madison, 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This girl needs help,not prison. Early 20's is when alot of mental illnesses manifest themselves. My guess is she is a high achiever,under lots of pressure to do well,whether real or imagined and just cracked. Very sad.

Sounds like this girl has some cracks in her "honor student" facade. She is attractive; bet she was planning on some coverage like the Elizabeth Smart and Laci Peterson cases. Maybe some TV programs, a book or a movie deal. She really wanted some attention at the least. Maybe this is part of the fallout from so much media attention given to cases like this. Sadly, most of the attention she gets now will be negative.

I don't know what to make of this girl yet. Either she made this all up in the hopes for attention and as some of you pointed out, a book deal or movie (i.e. Elizabeth or Laci), OR she is seriously mentally ill and this was a cry for help. I hope she will be examined by a psychiatrist who can determine what is going on with her. If she is mentally sound and did this for media attention then I feel she ought to be charged with something, for wasting the police dept.'s time, not to mention the many volunteers that went out looking for her.
If it turns out she has a mental issue going on, I pray she gets the help she needs.
I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about this case in the days ahead.
My biggest fear is now when we do have another Dru, Laci, or Elizabeth case, the public will not take it seriously, and accuse the person of making it up so she could "be alone".
:(

Wow, how sad, really. I can't make up my mind whether she should be punished or not, or at least how harshly. She obviously needs help.

My theory is that she has a lot of pressure on her -- she is a high achiever who likely has many expectations on her on how she should be and what she should become. I remember when I was a sophmore in college and it was by far my most difficult year, at least for someone like me who had NO idea what they wanted to be when they grew up ;) Most colleges require you pick a major by second semester sophmore year and for someone like that, it's hugely stressful to say the least. In fact, it was so stressful that I wanted to quit. I didn't (and I am glad I didn't) because I didn't want my parents to be disappointed in me.

My guess is that Audrey was looking for a way out of school without disappointing her parents. Surely when they realized the danger she was in there, and the first didn't work, she'd be allowed to come home. That's my theory!

Police Don't Believe Abduction Story
College Student Changed Account of Her Disappearance
By TODD RICHMOND, AP
:furious: :furious:

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040331145009990003 :mad:

This young women has some explaining to do..!! :eek: I knew it was made up..!! :mad:

MADISON, Wis. (April 2) - Police said Friday a college student's tale of being abducted doesn't add up and they don't believe there is an abductor at large. They said there was evidence she planned her disappearance.

''We do not believe there is a suspect at large, period,'' Assistant Police Chief Noble Wray said. :razz:

Surveillance video showed Audrey Seiler, a University of Wisconsin-Madison sophomore, walking out of her apartment about 2:30 a.m. Saturday wearing only sweats. She was found Wednesday in a marsh about two miles away, cold and dehydrated but otherwise unharmed.

Seiler told police her abductor used duct tape, rope and a knife against her.

But Wray said police obtained videotape of Seiler buying some of those items at a local store weeks earlier.

She also used her computer to search Web sites for information on Madison parks and the extended weather forecast, suggesting she had planned her disappearance, Wray said.

Wray said the search of her computer also indicated someone had used it during the four days Seiler was missing, and at least two witnesses said they had seen her walking freely in the city during that time.

''It's the totality of the picture,'' Wray said.

Earlier Friday, Wray had disclosed that Seiler, who had also reported an unexplained attack in early February, had changed her story about what happened last Saturday. She said she was abducted by a knife-wielding man - but from somewhere else in the city, not from her apartment.

''Audrey stated that she just wanted to quote, unquote, be alone,'' Wray said. :confused:

While citing inconsistencies, Wray said it was too soon to say whether Seiler could face charges. Authorities were still trying to construct a timeline of her movements, he said.

After she disappeared, dozens of volunteers traveled from Seiler's hometown of Rockford, Minn., to comb through marshes and woods around campus. Investigators also scoured phone records and apartments for clues, and after she was found, officers with guns drawn had surrounded the marshy area looking for a suspect.

Wray had acknowledged to reporters Thursday that ''there may be inconsistencies'' in the case. But he said then that the hunt was still on for a suspected abductor, and police issued a composite sketch based on Seiler's account.

Rockford residents said after Friday's first news conference that they didn't know what to think.

''It's so open right now,'' said Ron Elsen, who watched Wray on television at his family-owned cafe. ''Everybody's guessing at what happened. That's all there is to it, because they're not saying anything.''

His wife, Sue Elsen, said she was glad Seiler was safe but that she was getting skeptical.

''Something's fishy, don't you think?'' she asked.

The unexplained attack was the second reported by Seiler in two months.

On Feb. 1, she told police that someone struck her from behind and knocked her unconscious. She told police that she was then moved about a block from where she was attacked but was not sexually assaulted or robbed, authorities said.

04-02-04 14:26 EST

I hope that Audrey's parents will respond to her behavior by publicly acknowledging that their daughter has a serious problem and encouraging her to accept responsibility with a public apology and offer to help repay all the expense that went into the search for her and her imaginary assailant through a combination of fines and community services. If the parents coddle and protect her, Audrey will never have a chance to properly recover from whatever mental problem she has.

:razz:I knew from the beginning that the story was false..!! :mad:

This young women has some exlpaining to do..~!! :slap: She got her 15 minutes of fame.. Now what!!

The country was on pins, and needles about her where abouts...!! :eek: She said she just wanted to have some time alone..!! NAH..!! not buying that story either..!! :mad:

The young women is in to something, maybe stripping at a club on weekends, drugs, hooking.. something is very wrong with her stories..!! she is hiding something.. I don't care how high her GPA is or, how goodie two shoes everyone thinks she is.. :razz: SHE IS HIDING SOMETHING !!
:mad:

If it is mental illness, then I pray she gets help now..!! :(

Good theory - maybe wanted an excuse to drop out of school. It seems like she had a boyfriend though, did she have girlfriends? And she was doing well in school, so why drop out? Weird.

:razz: I would say she has some explaining to do..!! :eek:

I think she is hiding something still. I hope she comes clean soon, she has put her parents and the college through enough..!! :confused: To many unanswered questions from the get go for me..!! didn't believe the frist assult story as well. She is hiding something, or just looking for 15 minutes of fame, or both. If she is mentally ill, I hope she get help now.!! :sick:

imo her behavior seems waaay too organized/premeditated/goal-directed to be a result of serious acute mental illness (ie psychotic break secondary to bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, or even drug-induced psychosis). people with psychoses are way too disorganized and impulsive to pull off something like this. seems like she had an agenda and was looking for some kind of secondary gain (obviously) - but what? this is really bizarre. :confused:

i think carla may be on to something......

She could have developed schizoprenia and really beleive that someone is after her or doing things to her. She is about the right age for the onset.

Reported on MSNBC that Audrey has been placed in a psych. hospital. I hope they can help her... I will pray for her.

I thought this was very strange, but may of course just be a coincidence, or my unshared opinion.

Audrey had the police draw up a sketch of her abductor. It was the sketch they circulated at first before revealing that they believed no such abductor existed. I hadn't seen any television coverage of the case and I was just going by the online news articles to keep up-to-date. This evening I saw my first video on the case on Fox News. And I was struck... dumbfounded... at how much Audrey's father looked like that composite sketch! :eek:

Like I said... maybe others wouldn't see a resemblance. Maybe some wouldn't consider this relevent, even if they did agree with my eyes and believe the resemblance is obvious. Personally, I have to consider whether there is some significance to this.

Sketch

Audrey's father

Marthatex said:
Good theory - maybe wanted an excuse to drop out of school. It seems like she had a boyfriend though, did she have girlfriends? And she was doing well in school, so why drop out? Weird.

Martha,

I pretty sure that she has a girlfriend, I think she was on one of the talk shows.

Lauren,

I'm very happy to here that they put her in a hospital. Apparently, this girl is very troubled. At first I thought she should be prosecuted, but if she is mentally unstable then she needs help. I will also be praying for her.

It seems that Audrey was videotaped purchasing items supposedly used in her abduction (duct tape, etc), that she was seen "freely walking the streets" during the time that she was supposedly abducted, that someone used her computer to check the weather and marshy areas around Madison before her disappearance. The police are no longer looking for an abductor.

For all Audrey has put everyone through it would be wise to file charges against her (which may be done), assuming it can be proven that her abduction was a hoax. She seems to have "problems," which hopefully she will get resolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alwaysseeking
Back