GUILTY WI - Brittany Zimmermann, 21, Madison, 2 April 2008 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes. She was downtown outside a bar on State Street the last time she was seen alive. She was also a student at U of W/Whitewater. She was living in Madison for the summer about four blocks or so from where Zimmermann lived.

Here is Kelly's thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52025&highlight=Kelly+Nolan

And if you want a real eye opener thread to the truth about Madison...check out the rest of the unsolved murders in Madison and on campus in the past: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51672

It makes me wonder if it is the same man tho. The call for Zimmermann came in about 1:00 pm from her fiance when he found her. I would have to assume the perp would have blood on him and her description of him wearing a white T-shirt with no stain doesn't seem to be consistent with the stabbing of Zimmermann. LE could be right that he may have information. It could have been someone with him.

Didn't the girl say that the man walked into her house "shortly before 1 pm"? And the radio station was about half an hour beforehand? I think this could definitely be the guy. My instinct says that this happened really fast. Guy walks into the radio station, tries to get money. They refuse, he leaves, trying to find unlocked apartments/houses to break into. He walks into Davis's house, she asserts herself and tells him to get out, he leaves. He's really frustrated now. Walks into Zimmerman's apt (just 2 blocks away), she refuses him money as well, and he snaps. Perp takes off and fiance comes home.

Any thoughts??

That would make sense, yes. He would have cut it terribly close with the fiance coming home at 1:00 pm tho. It would mean they just missed each other by minutes. (Both the call from the girl and the call from the boyfriend were made nearly the same time.)

Now, another thing we have to take into account is if she was raped. They won't release that information so it is pure speculation and will take a lot of reading between the lines with LE and the media. They never told us about KN either.

stories like this just scare me to death I hope they find out who did this soon ( and find who did the other 2 murders if done by someone else)

http://www.madison.com/wsj/topstories/280001

Police focus on transients in student's death

Madison police are focusing on the population of transients regularly in the Bassett neighborhood as part of their investigation into the death of a 21-year-old UW-Madison student whose body was found Wednesday in her apartment near campus.
"We've got people we are looking for," said Lt. Joe Balles.
While police have not determined a homeless person killed Brittany Sue Zimmermann in her first-floor apartment at 517 W. Doty St., Balles said, "You have to look at the environment this happened in."
"It's like a party down here. … The transient people, we are arresting them every day," Balles said.

I don't think this guy was authorized to speak on behalf of the police. This is student housing areas in Madison. It's not a high crime area and if there are dangerous transients then the cops should have been doing more in the first place. They ESPECIALLY should have stepped up patrols when Marino was murdered.

Marino's killer sure looks like a student - with a Carhartt jacket I would be looking at the Ag frat.

http://www.madison.com/wsj/topstories/280001

Police focus on transients in student's death

Madison police are focusing on the population of transients regularly in the Bassett neighborhood as part of their investigation into the death of a 21-year-old UW-Madison student whose body was found Wednesday in her apartment near campus.
"We've got people we are looking for," said Lt. Joe Balles.
While police have not determined a homeless person killed Brittany Sue Zimmermann in her first-floor apartment at 517 W. Doty St., Balles said, "You have to look at the environment this happened in."
"It's like a party down here. … The transient people, we are arresting them every day," Balles said.

I don't think this guy was authorized to speak on behalf of the police. This is student housing areas in Madison. It's not a high crime area and if there are dangerous transients then the cops should have been doing more in the first place. They ESPECIALLY should have stepped up patrols when Marino was murdered.

Marino's killer sure looks like a student - with a Carhartt jacket I would be looking at the Ag frat.

This is starting to make me think of Danny Rolling, the Gainesville Ripper. Anyone else get that vibe? He was a transient, too.

Steve

This is starting to make me think of Danny Rolling, the Gainesville Ripper. Anyone else get that vibe? He was a transient, too.

Steve

Did Rolling fit into the campus environment or stick out? B/c I believe that Nolan's killer had to fit into the campus environment or else the last guy she was seen with would not have allowed her to go with the other guy.

Marino's killer would have fit in - dressed as he was.

Yeah, but there are numerous homeless shelters within walking distance of Brittany's home, not to mention the Greyhound Station about 50 yards away. There's only so much police can do about that transient population. If you live downtown - in just about any city - you learn to deal with transients. Most of them are harmless and mind their own business or are just looking for a handout. Sometimes they act drunk and/or disorderly. That's when police step in. I'm not trying to defend the MPD, I'm just saying they're only so much you can do within the law.

I do find it odd that there wasn't more of a police response after Joel Marino's murder. Even though the locations are close together, they're considered different neighborhoods, and Marino's area is definitely less-student populated. Maybe it's the "dead white woman" syndrome that we all know so well. When a fresh-faced "all-American" type young woman is murdered, it's national news, people freak out, and the police know that the country is watching. Every other victim seems unimportant in comparison. And I do not say that out of any disrespect for Brittany and her family. I just think it's a common pattern.

Did Rolling fit into the campus environment or stick out? B/c I believe that Nolan's killer had to fit into the campus environment or else the last guy she was seen with would not have allowed her to go with the other guy.

Marino's killer would have fit in - dressed as he was.

That's a good question about Rolling. I've read a lot about those murders, and my understanding was that he may have stuck out age-wise in a campus environment, but in general he did not stick out, if that makes sense. He stayed clean-shaven even when living out of a tent, dressed in a non-descript manner. Classic serial killer in that sense -- Rolling found it very easy to fade into the woodwork. Ted Bundy fit in on any college campus, could have been a grad student, based on looks and dress, and he felt comfortable there.

Rolling was also a night killer, a skulker. He didn't really need to blend into a crowd per se for that reason, as he jimmied sliding doors in the middle of the night.

Steve

Yeah, but there are numerous homeless shelters within walking distance of Brittany's home, not to mention the Greyhound Station about 50 yards away. There's only so much police can do about that transient population. If you live downtown - in just about any city - you learn to deal with transients. Most of them are harmless and mind their own business or are just looking for a handout. Sometimes they act drunk and/or disorderly. That's when police step in. I'm not trying to defend the MPD, I'm just saying they're only so much you can do within the law.

I do find it odd that there wasn't more of a police response after Joel Marino's murder. Even though the locations are close together, they're considered different neighborhoods, and Marino's area is definitely less-student populated. Maybe it's the "dead white woman" syndrome that we all know so well. When a fresh-faced "all-American" type young woman is murdered, it's national news, people freak out, and the police know that the country is watching. Every other victim seems unimportant in comparison. And I do not say that out of any disrespect for Brittany and her family. I just think it's a common pattern.

You make an excellent point about the Greyhound station and I hadn't thought of that. The cop in the news article just seemed to blame transients (in a very tolerant city) and I think he was wrong for doing that.

I agree, though, that Marino's murder was a blip, whereas this one is big. One thing is that as women, we identify with her and recognize our vulnerability, and men don't do the same.

Greta's a UW grad - she spoke with me at UW graduation.

What'd she say?

She was simply going over what we already know. Nothing really new. Mark was discussing how in Marino's case the perp was in his house and probably used Marino's own knife (which is what I thought, too). He felt this perp is very bold.

Yes, I am well aware that Greta is a fine UW Grad!! :) Oh, so you got to meet her! Exciting! She seems like a small firecracker to me. LOL

He would have to be a transient with money if he is associated in any way with Marino's murder. Buying the backpack 3 days before tossing it after the murder means it was useless to him after the attack. Sounds exactly like he was trying to look like a student to me...which leads me away from him actually being a student. It was only used as a disguise.

He would have to be a transient with money if he is associated in any way with Marino's murder. Buying the backpack 3 days before tossing it after the murder means it was useless to him after the attack. Sounds exactly like he was trying to look like a student to me...which leads me away from him actually being a student. It was only used as a disguise.

Agreed. And why would a student have motive? Although - why would a transient have motive? Therefore - all three murders (nolan - known, no transient, marino - planned, no transient, zimmerman - ?? ) are not connected.

It is possible they aren't connected since Marino certainly is the odd one out. However, he was in a heavy dispute with the city when he was killed. Could have made him a "target" simply by being in the news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed
Back