WI WI - Evelyn Hartley, 15, La Crosse, 24 Oct 1953

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How could they unknowingly break in though with all the lights on and the front window wide open? If they approached from the back wouldn't they do a quick check around the house to make sure no lights were on, thus no families and potentially burly men home?

How could they unknowingly break in though with all the lights on and the front window wide open? If they approached from the back wouldn't they do a quick check around the house to make sure no lights were on, thus no families and potentially burly men home?

You would think they would check the house out; that's what I would do if I were a burglar. I was thinking maybe they did not see Evelyn arrive but they saw the family leave and thought they just left lights on to make it appear someone is home. I always leave a light on when I'm not home. I have a living room lamp on a timer so that I never come home to a dark house. Plus it was nearing wintertime and the days were short so the burglars may have thought the family left some lights on purposely.

I am not 100% stuck on a burglary gone wrong but the pry marks on the windows of other houses make me think the same men were trying to break into any house they could get into in that neighborhood. Which makes it seem they were not looking for a particular person.

No matter what actually happened, it's a sad sad story, and I'm afraid if we ever do find out exactly what happened LE will not be able to prosecute due to the perpetrators having passed on by now.

Good point, it did happen within 30 minutes of the Rasmussens leaving.

Do you think whoever took Evelyn did not realize there was a baby in the house? If he/they knew anything about the family then he/they should have noticed the family left without the baby, and then would have had to assume someone was babysitting. Maybe the burglars didn't know there was a baby even there.

It is interesting to consider that some random petty burglar was able to get away so easily and dispose of the body so that it is never found.

It depends. If Evelyn (or the original babysitter) was targeted, then the kidnappers knew the baby was there but left her alone, not like she could be a witness, or left her because it's one more thing to deal with and it's easier to leave her alone. If she wasn't targeted, then I don't think they knew the baby was there.

If I recall, the radio was playing as well. They probably didn't have a TV yet although the Twin City stations were probably within range if you had a proper antenna.

I wonder how common it was at the time for anyone to leave a radio playing when not home. Probably not very common because people weren't as wasteful in the 1950s as we are now. I can't recall whether the radio could be heard from the outside of the house or not, does anyone know?
After my dad died, my widowed mom often left a light and/or the TV or radio on if she was going to be getting home after dark. She was hoping it would seem like someone was home so nobody would break in.
If the burglars saw a light on in the house they may not have thought much about it if they had been watching the house and saw the family leave. If they couldn't hear the radio from outside then the fact that it was playing probably didn't make much difference. Especially if they did come in through the basement window, they may have been too far away from a window near the radio to hear it.
Here's what I was thinking, although I am not stuck on this theory, but let's say a couple of guys were casing out homes in the neighborhood. I've always heard burglars won't spend more than about 5 minutes trying to break in, so maybe they tried to pry open several windows in the neighborhood and they were all too difficult to open quickly. They get to the house where Evelyn is but didn't realize anyone had arrived to babysit and perhaps didn't even know there was a baby. They see the family leave and even though a light is still on they assume it was left on because it's getting dark early this time of year. After breaking in they are surprised by Evelyn. Maybe she knows them, maybe she doesn't, but they decide to take her with them and dispose of the witness. As to how they got away with it, it could just have been dumb luck. Even though it may have been their first and only kidnapping, they get away with it.
Another possibility is that they targeted Evelyn and made pry marks on other windows in the neighborhood to make Evelyn's kidnapping seem like a random crime, but if they planned it out with that kind of detail then we are talking about a whole different kind of abductor/killer here.

I would say its 100 percent the oppisite of what u just said exspecially back then when it was new and cool they would have left the radio on all the time it was one of the biggest ways of communication and cost what a dollar if u left it on all month so yes i think they would have had it on all the time...

I would say its 100 percent the oppisite of what u just said exspecially back then when it was new and cool they would have left the radio on all the time it was one of the biggest ways of communication and cost what a dollar if u left it on all month so yes i think they would have had it on all the time...

I'm glad you helped clear this up because I had no idea how the use of the electricity while not home would have been viewed at the time. I was born in 1970 and while growing up we never left things on when not using them, but my dad was in poor health and money was tight. Thanks so much, that really helps because it lends more credence to the idea that even if the burglars heard the radio, they may not have thought much of it.

We never left a radio or lights on when we went out in the 50s even when we knew we were coming home after dark. Radios were tube type back then and used more electricity but I don't think that economics was the major issue. I just think that my parents saw no need to leave anything on. Many people, including my grandparents, didn't even lock their doors. We lived in a metro area much larger than La Crosse too; probably about four times the size.

I think the idea that all the lights were on when the break in occurred may be wrong. Evelyn may have been in a room with just a small light on doing her homework with the radio on.

It might look to a burglar that just the one light was left on by the family.

Evelyn may have heard a noise and like I would do, start turning on all the lights, which would explain why it looked like everything was on when the police got there.

I think the idea that all the lights were on when the break in occurred may be wrong. Evelyn may have been in a room with just a small light on doing her homework with the radio on.

It might look to a burglar that just the one light was left on by the family.

Evelyn may have heard a noise and like I would do, start turning on all the lights, which would explain why it looked like everything was on when the police got there.

additionally the burglar(s) could have turned on the lights for some reason - robbery, clean up, etc.

I started reading about Evelyn and am horrified. The poor girl, imagine looking up and seeing some guy standing in the living room with you..... googled her name and found this article on CNN. It sums up some of the facts of the abduction. Gives me chills re-reading it.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-950576

"Evie's body is out there somewhere in the earth, in a field. Somewhere in Wisconsin is a spot where beautiful things grow around her bones and birds fly over her. After enduring a horror story, she deserves nothing less than this kind of peace."

I think it's possible that Evelyn was found but has been a Jane Doe this entire time. I think this is actually very likely, given the type of suspects we probably have (petty criminals or criminals that got in way over their head).

Findagrave.com has hundreds of Jane and John Does that are not in any of our UID forums or DoeNetwork or the like. I think most likely she would have been found in Minnesota or Illinois, but of course, Iowa and Wisconsin itself cannot be ruled out.

I'm going to be checking Google New Archives and findagrave.com for any possible candidates but the chance of me finding her are slim, and this is assuming she was even found, though the reason I think she was is because of the criminal type (as mentioned) and also the time. LE probably didn't communicate as well as they do today (and even that is a joke in some areas) and there was no internet to search other news sources and no easy access to local news from other areas.

What will make this difficult is she could have been found anywhere between today and the night she vanished. LE could have her year of death wrong too.

I think it's possible that Evelyn was found but has been a Jane Doe this entire time. I think this is actually very likely, given the type of suspects we probably have (petty criminals or criminals that got in way over their head).

Findagrave.com has hundreds of Jane and John Does that are not in any of our UID forums or DoeNetwork or the like. I think most likely she would have been found in Minnesota or Illinois, but of course, Iowa and Wisconsin itself cannot be ruled out.

I'm going to be checking Google New Archives and findagrave.com for any possible candidates but the chance of me finding her are slim, and this is assuming she was even found, though the reason I think she was is because of the criminal type (as mentioned) and also the time. LE probably didn't communicate as well as they do today (and even that is a joke in some areas) and there was no internet to search other news sources and no easy access to local news from other areas.

What will make this difficult is she could have been found anywhere between today and the night she vanished. LE could have her year of death wrong too.

I agree, especially back during those years, it was just not as publicized or handled the way it is today. Only rare cases were publicized, like the Boy in the Box. And I'm sure we can all name at least one case where a Jane or John Doe has remained unidentified for decades and decades. A great example from the '50s is Colorado's Boulder Jane Doe. I wonder if it'd be worth it to look through NAMUS as well. They have a lot more then Doe network on there for cases, even the ones without pictures or barely any information at all.

1) Back then it would not have been odd to even leave the doors unlocked. If they locked automatically would mean the intruder(s) didn't necessarily just walk in.
2) This happened so fast after she arrived it seems very unlikely to be random.
From reading this thread I got the strong sense that the perp(s) were somehow tipped off that she would be there. Since this was not a regular gig for her, how would they know about it? It would have to be someone very close to her indeed, or the people she was working for.
3) The basement windows at 2 houses involved is interesting.
Now if the perp(s) had actually had a car in the driveway (according to Mr. X witness) then it seems less likely they would sneak around back and come up through the basement than simply try to trick her at the front door. As such if Mr. X is correct then I think perp came in through the front door. Then, consequently I would tend to agree with the idea that the situation at the basement window would appear more as an escape route rather than an entry point.
4) However, I am curious how the prof. managed to not drag mud and blood in and confuse the crime scene. I have to consider the possibility that the prof was perhaps snooping on his teen daughter and something went wrong. Just curious, did the prof have a 2 tone car matching Mr. X's description?
5) Ok, something happened to her outside or so it seems... she escapes through the basement window or somehow is chased back to that area where blood pours. But did the blood on the other neighbors window well come first or second? It's possible it happened in either sequence. Because if she were seriously wounded emerging out of the basement window it would seem unlikely she would run over to a neighbors basement window. I'm of course also wondering what evidence exists for this case? Was anything saved at all? All of this blood, if it still exists could be proven to be hers or not hers. Just a passing thought that the blood might not have been hers and if not, that would open up a lot of possibilities.
6) Now putting myself in an innocent prof's shoes, if I were so concerned that I was standing there pounding on the door with no answer, I'm not sure i would crawl through that narrow open basement window. That would strike me as ODD! I think I would be much more inclined to force a door open or open a larger window right in the front of the house. Coming in and up through the basement seems like a rather creepy act to me. Which I can see as giving support to a theory against the prof. And gives the prof an excuse for screwing up the crime scene. It's not impossible that he did that, just weird and lends itself to suspicion. So, ok, also curious here, did he just leave the baby in the house and walk right out the front door while it locks behind him? Again, if this were me and however I got inside I would not be wanting to leave a baby in that situation and would be calling LE immediately from inside the home.
7) what does the girl think who was supposed to be babysitting that night? Since only boys were given polygraphs it's going to leave a lot of unanswered questions.
Girls talking back and forth may have tipped someone off about her being there.
8) The way the bloody pieces of clothing were flung out is interesting. Again raises the possibility that things are not as they seem. If you were to leave so much evidence at a crime scene, and then leave so many bloody pieces where they would be easily found, why would you bother hiding a body? It's possible it happened that way, but its also making me wonder about just how much of this could have been staged. Because except for no body it all seems the work of very inexperienced bungling person(s).
The baby sleeping through all of it, also tilts toward the staging possibility. Knowing if that were her blood everywhere would really be the key.
9) It's possible that the blood was that of a perp or both hers and a perp or wasn't either. It does seem most likely that it is her blood, and that she sustained the injuries attempting to escape and was captured. If that is true, the extent and locations of the blood would indicate to me that a) she put up one hell of a fight and that b) either the 2nd perp did not exist or was more hands off (like waiting in the car). Since Mr. X reported 2 men, then I'm thinking man #2 was not as hands on or she would not have made so much traction. What does not make sense at all for me is that if she were hit in the head or stabbed coming up out that first window, how could she possibly make it to the neighbors basement window and why bother? It's hard for me to believe that as she was coming up out of that window well gushing with blood that she would be able to overpower a man run to the neighbors only to get down into their window well and try opening their basement window. Why not just keep running and screaming and go to the front of the houses? Now the person may have forced her down into that neighbors window well, but that's quite a stupid and risky thing to do. So again, I really have to wonder if that was her blood, or even if it were hers if it wasn't staged.
10) With all of this blood and screams, and potentially knowing that the prof would be on the way, why bother to take her? If this was to be a kidnapping, or sexual assault, it clearly went wrong so why not just end her right there in the back yard and get the hell out of there? a) It wasn't her blood or very little of it was hers b) she wasn't that seriously injured and so the reason for her abduction was still valid c) it was staged.

Now if I entirely throw out Mr. X witness...
one possibility is that someone who was supposed to open the window and dump the blood had the wrong house, and so later realized it and did it a second time.

Because of the peculiarities with the evidence the theory of the Prof as perp and/or that this was somehow staged needs to be ruled out.

Is there any chance at all that she would have used such a method to run away from home? Back in this time period it was not unheard of for Teens 15, 16, 17 years old to take off. Someone on this thread mentioned another case of 2 girls missing in Rhinelander close to the same time period, and suggested they may have gone to Milwaukee. Can such a thing be ruled out here?
Some have suggested that she would not have left the baby. But knowing that the prof would show up shortly after 1 hr had passed, it could have been timed such that the baby spent very little time alone.

Is there a conflict of where the perps were at before and after she goes missing? I thought there was a trail of blood / evidence leading some distance away from the house to another street. But if Mr. X is correct the car was right there in the driveway.
Same car in 2 places? 2 cars? Or is Mr. X wrong?

Isn't anyone trying to match the DNA of these Doe's to living relatives of the missing?

Isn't anyone trying to match the DNA of these Doe's to living relatives of the missing?

Sadly no, for example if a doe was buried 50 years ago and no one wants to pay for their exhumation and they are not a hot candidate to match for a missing person, they will not be exhumed. Most of them have been forgotten about, as sad as that is.

ETA

I believe this only holds true to does buried pre-DNA testing. Their DNA is now collected and stored.

I don't think they will ever find her. What is interesting to me-the guy that killed that state senator's daughter in Chicago, Valerie Percy-I wonder if he could have done this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back