Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I signed up just so I could say this. The speculation about the 17 year old in custody and his brother, printed by another site, is wrong--and I cannot believe that people think LE is so stupid as to put a suspect that has not yet been revealed on the jail's booking page. Hint: They don't.
Sleuthing is all well and good, but nobody should be publicly accused of a crime, especially with links to their FB pages and family, unless there is actual evidence.
My in-laws own a cabin a few miles away from Eau Claire Circle S. Even in that teeny town, even on that street, people aren't quite sure who was arrested. The house in question has a lot of people in and out of it, all year long.
Six more hours until LE releases the name. It's really not that long to wait.

BBM

We have houses like that where I live. We call them "front porch pharmacies."
We have speculated about drug involvement and whether the perp(s) was fueled by drug use (not that the Closs' themselves were involved at all).Of course, if it's a rental property or something and people are going in and out because there's a turnover,that's much different.

Last edited:
What I hope for Jayme Closs now and in the future, from my experience as a survivor held against my will for only 48 hours of abduction, torture and fear:

I can't sleep until I put a few imperfect thoughts down for maybe others to think about...
I believe Jayme will deal with part of this very well right now with the love and support of her family, friends, health care professionals, experts in law enforcement trained to question children/ teens, all of her support system in school. She will do this despite the way the media intrudes and the general public says whatever they find out about a survivor of a very personal crime.

When I was abducted and held captive with loaded weapons and all that a State Policeman has at his disposal as far as restraints and control measures, initially, of course there was so much relief in being found in time, and of having immense pain- unbearable physical and emotional pain relieved.

What I would wish for Jayme in the way of healing and security needs after her parents' brutal murders would be a personal protection officer, like a young strong lady who has additional training in post- hostage recovery and re-integration into a safe life to accompany her for a period of months, maybe longer. Not to isolate her, but to be an added support and encouragement person, and also to make Jayme feel safe in the world again.
N0t because Jamye is at greater risk for any additional harm ( we have no way to know, to be honest, because of the sickos who come to the forefront after a sensationalized crime of this nature but never hurt a survivor ) but because of the fact that she WILL need to go back to school, to church, to dance, to all the things she can that helped her be herself before this. If she isolates herself, being an only child it's easy to do, I know, her emotional growth and recovery might not get the rays of sunshine needed.

Since our young adult to adult goals are to get a great education, go to college and pursue our dreams in the professional career of our choice, live in the city and state of our choosing which may be thousands of miles from a small hometown, moving forward and maybe moving away could be a positive thing for Jayme developmentally. Traditional adult goals are to form a lasting bond as an adult with a partner and establish a safe and happy home with children.
The " public", that's us, should never impede her progress by violating her privacy in any way.

Elizabeth Smart is extraordinary for her ability to have what appears to be a very happy marriage and all her beautiful children, the youngest one a tiny baby. This may keep her from doing some things she might otherwise be able to do for or with Jayme for a while. But, at some point, she may can help Jayme see what JOY there is in loving and marrying.

Of course, counseling, perhaps several times a week and extra when needed will come into play for a time. Again, Jayme likely will respond better to a female counselor with experience in post- hostage and torture survivors, which is not exactly an easy person to find in that tiny place she's from, I suppose..There may be some retired military former trauma counselors who could be greatly beneficial, and might volunteer some of their time, IDK.

Regarding a phenomenon I don't think I've ever encountered until reading this thread tonight, I want to respectfully give my opinion as a behavioral psych. graduate, as a nurse for most of my life, and as a person who stands strong against re-victimization-
When the public objectifies a survivor of a recent heinous crime to the point that they want to see where the survivor was held exactly, to see the " conditions", to hear the details of the parents' deaths, to find out how many perps. were involved,this is not helpful or respectful to the survivor. We likely do have the right to know what happened to her parents as far as how the home invasion happened, but only when Jayme is able and ready to tell what LE might not know. Hopefully, they can tell most of it or all of it in professional terms and we will still know that Jayme was in the house and likely was a witness.

The amount of personal info about her abduction and time with her captor or captors in a situation such as this should come from the survivor alone when they are able to share if they want to share. The ages of 11-14 are the most impressionable with regard to severe separation issues and severe trauma.

I believe we got most of our info about Elizabeth Smart in adult terms from her when she became an adult and wrote her book. That was her choice and a strong choice.

Please, impersonal digital world that we live in and share with Jayme, be gentle with this child and collectively remember that photos can't be unseen by anyone, least of all the person who lived through it, and because it is using HER pain and suffering for titillation and profit.

There is absolutely no reason to need to know what happened to her beyond what the Sheriff or FBI choose to release before it comes out in a trial ( unless the courtroom is cleared for the sake of the minor child victim.)

WS is full of fine, kind hearted smart people. If this girl were your 13 year old sister, daughter, cousin or best friend, would you ask her for the deepest darkest details and descriptions of her oreal or would you love her and support her recovery ( a long process with many many stages)?
I always expect the best out of each of us, so I expect if you were talking to her face to face as a friend or family member, you would be loving and supportive and looking towards her future, not back to a 3 month period of hell on earth which STARTED when her parents were murdered.

We strangers should do no less than what her mother, aunt, or grandfather would do, love and support, not dig for details which aren't in the mainstream public domain. I am speaking from experience here.

I hope with all my heart, and my professional mindset as well, that every good, kind and loving person in this country will respect Jayme enough to support her and her family in any way possible from this day forward, never ever wanting to take her back emotionally to the place she was held captive.

Lastly, we each have to separate the surviving victim from the perp. Every time the perp. or perps. are mentioned, I hope Jayme's strength of will, mind and body are remembered and respected.
It is such a joy to celebrate her being alive with each of you!!
I felt like part of something so big and wondrous and still do. Because this case will now be entering what I call the " technical phase'" where the distressing info will be hashed and rehashed, I am going to leave you all with the details.. It is not productive for me to hears details of kidnapping and torture. ( It's not productive for anyone to, actually).

WSers are the BEST! We love Jayme and each person here who is on social media platforms can show the people " out there" who might not have worried about her for hours per day for months that all the info which will be coming in is about a real girl, a sweet beautiful growing girl with thick wavy strawberry blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes, and a little dog named Molly she loves very much.
A girl who will regain her strength and run like the wind again and who will dance straight and tall, full of inner beauty and grace.

Thank you to all who have posted so diligently and intelligently about your specialty areas and experiences with various aspects of what happened to the Closs family.
Love and Hugs! I am with you in spirit as this case goes forward. :)

Last edited:
I most want to know, what was the connection or motive. Was it Jenny-O, road rage, which of all the theories floated here was the reason. I read here that a family member said they did not recognize the name. Could this truly have been totally random? Amazing, if that turns out to be true.

Just because Jayme's aunt/uncle/grandfather wasn't familiar with the name doesn't mean that the person wasn't known to Jayme's parents. It's possible there was still a connection there that her extended family isn't aware of. My mother lives in my town and she *thinks* she knows everyone I know, but every once in a while I'll bring someone up in convo and she'll ask "Who?" Could have been someone they'd only recently met or had an interaction with.

Interesting that she WALKED up to someone. Not running but walking almost as if she knew the perpetrator was not going to come looking for her for awhile. Maybe he had passed out drunk or on drugs and she finally mustered the courage to escape. With regards to the lady who found her, I admire the desire her keep her anonymity. Most people would had used that opportunity to sell / tell their story in front of the media.

Still it will be interesting to here her story in full.

Interesting that she WALKED up to someone. Not running but walking almost as if she knew the perpetrator was not going to come looking for her for awhile. Maybe he had passed out drunk or on drugs and she finally mustered the courage to escape. With regards to the lady who found her, I admire the desire her keep her anonymity. Most people would had used that opportunity to sell / tell their story in front of the media.

Still it will be interesting to here her story in full.

I have seen it written both as "walked" and as "ran." So it may just be the individual reporter's interpretation of the story and it's hard to know which is correct. But yes, walking does seem to imply lack of haste.

Since Jayme is an orphan by definition she is a ward of the state. There would likely be someone there to look after her interests but I don't believe it would be a family member. Law enforcement is going to want to get as much of the story they can get from her before she is around people who might know other information about the case or her access to any news of the case so that nothing she says is contaminated by outside knowledge.
I'd think that authorities would want to make Jayme as comfortable as possible, and so would allow a family member to be present. Being a ward of the state, well, her Aunts/Uncles will now have custody I'm sure.

Does anyone know if the family had guardianship put in place if she was found? Also sure hope they have a great lawyer and psychiatrist on hand. I’m assuming if not the court will assign her a guardian ad litem. I’m so happy they found her!

Northern Wisconsin residents describe the moments they found Jayme Closs
Jayme Closs, the 13-year-old girl missing since her parents were shot to death in their Barron, Wis., home three months ago, was found bedraggled and malnourished but alive Thursday after fleeing her captor and seeking help from neighbors in a remote rural area in northwestern Wisconsin.

Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald announced late Thursday afternoon that his agency had been notified by the sheriff in Douglas County, two counties to the north, that Jayme had been found there.
Residents of an area of woods and cabins about 9 miles east of Gordon, which has few year-round residents, described the dramatic moment when Jayme was found. Kristin Kasinskas, a teacher at the nearby Northwood School who lives on S. Eau Claire Acres Circle with her husband, Peter, and children, said that around 4 p.m., a neighbor walking a dog frantically knocked on their door.
Northern Wisconsin residents describe the moments they found Jayme Closs

What I hope for Jayme Closs now and in the future, from my experience as a survivor held against my will for only 48 hours of abduction, torture and fear:

I can't sleep until I put a few imperfect thoughts down for maybe others to think about...
I believe Jayme will deal with part of this very well right now with the love and support of her family, friends, health care professionals, experts in law enforcement trained to question children/ teens, all of her support system in school. She will do this despite the way the media intrudes and the general public says whatever they find out about a survivor of a very personal crime.

When I was abducted and held captive with loaded weapons and all that a State Policeman has at his disposal as far as restraints and control measures, initially, of course there was so much relief in being found in time, and of having immense pain- unbearable physical and emotional pain relieved.

What I would wish for Jayme in the way of healing and security needs after her parents' brutal murders would be a personal protection officer, like a young strong lady who has additional training in post- hostage recovery and re-integration into a safe life to accompany her for a period of months, maybe longer. Not to isolate her, but to be an added support and encouragement person, and also to make Jayme feel safe in the world again.
N0t because Jamye is at greater risk for any additional harm ( we have no way to know, to be honest, because of the sickos who come to the forefront after a sensationalized crime of this nature but never hurt a survivor ) but because of the fact that she WILL need to go back to school, to church, to dance, to all the things she can that helped her be herself before this. If she isolates herself, being an only child it's easy to do, I know, her emotional growth and recovery might not get the rays of sunshine needed.

Since our young adult to adult goals are to get a great education, go to college and pursue our dreams in the professional career of our choice, live in the city and state of our choosing which may be thousands of miles from a small hometown, moving forward and maybe moving away could be a positive thing for Jayme developmentally. Traditional adult goals are to form a lasting bond as an adult with a partner and establish a safe and happy home with children.
The " public", that's us, should never impede her progress by violating her privacy in any way.

Elizabeth Smart is extraordinary for her ability to have what appears to be a very happy marriage and all her beautiful children, the youngest one a tiny baby. This may keep her from doing some things she might otherwise be able to do for or with Jayme for a while. But, at some point, she may can help Jayme see what JOY there is in loving and marrying.

Of course, counseling, perhaps several times a week and extra when needed will come into play for a time. Again, Jayme likely will respond better to a female counselor with experience in post- hostage and torture survivors, which is not exactly an easy person to find in that tiny place she's from, I suppose..There may be some retired military former trauma counselors who could be greatly beneficial, and might volunteer some of their time, IDK.

Regarding a phenomenon I don't think I've ever encountered until reading this thread tonight, I want to respectfully give my opinion as a behavioral psych. graduate, as a nurse for most of my life, and as a person who stands strong against re-victimization-
When the public objectifies a survivor of a recent heinous crime to the point that they want to see where the survivor was held exactly, to see the " conditions", to hear the details of the parents' deaths, to find out how many perps. were involved,this is not helpful or respectful to the survivor.

The amount of personal info such as this should come from the survivor alone when they are able to share if they want to share. Again, I believe we got most of our info about Elizabeth Smart in adult terms from her when she became an adult and wrote her book. That was her choice and a strong choice.

Please, impersonal digital world that we live in and share with Jayme, be gentle with this child and collectively remember that photos can't be unseen by anyone, least of all the person who lived through it, and because it is using HER pain and suffering for titillation and profit.

There is absolutely no reason to need to know what happened to her beyond what the Sheriff or FBI choose to release before it comes out in a trial ( and unless the courtroom is cleared for the sake of the minor child victim.)

WS is full of fine, kind hearted smart people. If this girl were your 13 year old sister, daughter, cousin or best friend, would you ask her for the deepest darkest details and descriptions of her oreal or would you love her and support her recovery ( a long process with many many stages)?
I always expect the best out of each of us, so I expect if you were talking to her face to face as a friend or family member, you would be loving and supportive and looking towards her future, not back to a 3 month period of hell on earth which STARTED when her parents were murdered.

We strangers should do no less than what her mother, aunt, or grandfather would do, love and support, not dig for details which aren't in the mainstream public domain. I am speaking from experience here.

I hope with all my heart, and my professional mindset as well, that every good, kind and loving person in this country will respect Jayme enough to support her and her family in any way possible from this day forward, never ever wanting to take her back emotionally to the place she was held captive.

Lastly, we each have to separate the surviving victim from the perp. Every time the perp. or perps. are mentioned, I hope Jayme's strength of will, mind and body are remembered and respected.
It is such a joy to celebrate her being alive with each of you!!
I felt like part of something so big and wondrous and still do.
WSers are the BEST! We love Jayme and we can show the people " out there" who might not have worried about her for hours per day for months that all the info which will be coming in is about a real girl, a sweet beautiful growing girl with thick wavy strawberry blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes, and a little dog named Molly she loves very much.
A girl who will regain her strength and run like the wind again and who will dance straight and tall, full of inner beauty and grace.

That would be my guess.

The description of her appearance was such that I would be surprised if she was kept in any sort of comfort.

I’m imagining a shed or small cabin. A place without the amenities you would expect in a house.

I agree with shed on property possibly,
maybe like AH:
Teen held captive in New Hampshire storage container breaks silence
Jaycee too:
Jaycee Dugard on Reclaiming Her Life After Being Held Captive for 18 Years: 'I Have Lived a Lot of Lifetimes'
https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-c...-life-held-captive-18-years/story?id=40280031 )

Last edited:
Jayme Closs has been located

On Thursday evening the Barron County Sheriff’s Department was notified by the Douglas CO WI Sheriff’s Department that they had located Jayme Closs alive.

Shortly after this a suspect was taken into custody in regards to this case. We do not any other details at this time as this is a very fluid and active investigation. We will not be answering any questions or taking calls on this tonight.

We are planning a press briefing approximately 10 am tomorrow at the Sheriff’s Department in Barron. We are receiving support from the FBI and WI DCI agents as this investigation continues.

We want to thank the Douglas Co Sheriff’s Department and agencies assisting them tonight. We also want to thank all the Law Enforcement agencies across the state and county that have assisted us in this case. We also could not have endured this case without the support of the public and I want to thank them for all the support and help.

Finally we want to especially thank the family for their support and patience while this case was ongoing. We promised to bring Jayme home and tonight we get to fulfill that promise. From the bottom of my heart THANK YOU!

This case has been very trying on the family so please respect their privacy and we reunite them later tonight.

Sheriff Fitzgerald
So happy she is alive!! looking forward to the press conference later today!!

I'd think that authorities would want to make Jayme as comfortable as possible, and so would allow a family member to be present. Being a ward of the state, well, her Aunts/Uncles will now have custody I'm sure.
Yes i imagine family that she loves will be very important right now to help her get through this.
I don't know legally as Jayme is still a minor what that entails, but i hope she gets a say as to what her wishes are as to whom she will live with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member