Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #36

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there such a thing as sealing particular charges? Is there no protection/privacy for minors in these types of cases? MOO
I don’t know about the legalities, but I was reading about the Abigail Hernandez case last night. She was kidnapped at 14 while walking home from school and kept in a big storage container on the perps property. It seems Her mother hired attorneys to keep what she endured under wraps. Abby did eventually say in an interview that he used a dog barking shock collar to keep her from screaming. And the charges of rape were public. The details, however, have been kept from the public. The mother did not want her friends to think about her differently.

It was mentioned that JP had a lot of vehicles, which seems kind of strange for a possibly unemployed person who is maybe living there alone. I’m wondering if it was just him the neighbour would see coming and going. Maybe he used a different vehicle each time he went out for food, etc.
Do we know if the parents were wealthy? Do we know anything about his lifestyle growing up ?

That would be a best case scenario. A rapacious public does not need the details of what happened to this kid. No matter how "curious" people are. And talking about trauma to a jury isn't apparently "healing". Psychiatrist Bruce Perry wrote a great book about trauma in children and what kind of therapy works for them (talk therapy is terrible, he explains).

But I was surprised to read posts in the last thread stating that the DA often holds back sex abuse charges in such cases in order to spare the victim and to have something in their back pocket to charge the person with if they escape justice on the other charges -like murder and kidnapping.

I have never seen that.

He is going to be charged with everything he did that they have evidence of.
Talk therapy works to some extents for children and there's age and severity of trauma to consider. Thing is, to relive this in a courtroom would be devastating, to have it plastered with her peers would be even worse. In this day and age when nothing is ever truly gone from print, we have an even greater responsibility to young people who have been assaulted. She's 13 and that's an incredibly sensitive time for women and how they relate to others and view themselves, it's bad enough to have a pimple that everyone else can see, privacy is so important at this age and what others think about you is more important that what you think about yourself. So yes, reliving a traumatic event, in front of strangers, talking about private things and not having the coping mechanisms of an adult can actually make things worse. It's like if you have a deep wound, you'll have some scarring but if you have a deep wound and you repeatedly pick the scab off it leaves you with a much deeper scar. As she gets older she'll revisit some of this trauma, but she'll be stronger and older and have developed more coping mechanisms, if she's allowed the chance to heal properly now. I'm so happy that our judicial system has learned this and works better at protecting our victims.

One thing that keeps bothering me (ie serial killer). Has he done this before? The sheriff stated that JP shaved his head as a way of leaving no evidence. That makes me think a shaved head was not the norm for JP. What bothers me and please someone correct me if I am wasting my thoughts on this; JP's head was also shaved in a pic from 2015. Is it coincidence or has he done/practiced/tried this before? Just my thoughts based on mere speculation.
JMOX5
ETA link to article with sheriff statement and pic of JP with shaved head: https://heavy.com/news/2019/01/jake-thomas-patterson-why-motive/

If he had done this before then had he done it before he had done it before?

There's got to be a first time.

Yes, I think in these cases there is some history- peeping, assaulting a child, harming an animal- before actually committing murder in order to steal a kid.

But he's 21 and there's got to be a first time for these kinds of things.

I think this was it.

Sheriff stated in PC that JP had been planning this for some time

I hope in time we will know why he chose Jayme, where he first saw her etc.

Unfortunately if JP is the only one who knows this then it's up to him to confess to those details...& he may not.....
BBM
I wonder what the evidence is that led to this statement.

Question for @gitana1 or anyone else who feels inclined to answer:

Re: the complaining documents or whatever they’re called which will be filed next week, in which SF said will contain more detailed information, can we expect any of these documents to be sealed or redacted?

—-

ETA: I see sleuther0192837465 already asked this, sorry behind.

Is there such a thing as sealing particular charges? Is there no protection/privacy for minors in these types of cases? MOO

Last edited:
I don’t know about the legalities, but I was reading about the Abigail Hernandez case last night. She was kidnapped at 14 while walking home from school and kept in a big storage container on the perps property. It seems Her mother hired attorneys to keep what she endured under wraps. Abby did eventually say in an interview that he used a dog barking shock collar to keep her from screaming. And the charges of rape were public. The details, however, have been kept from the public. The mother did not want her friends to think about her differently.
I can’t edit on my phone for some reason so I’m replying to my own post. I’m not certain they were hired attorneys. I know there were 2 attys retained by the mother- at least that’s what I read in the article. I can’t recall if it said retained or hired. Not that it really matters that much, especially to Jayme’s case. I just thought I should clarify

I don't blame her Mother. I know Jayme's name is already out there. And everyone knows why he took her. I heard Nancy Grace talking today talking about this case. I just wish people wouldn't keep talking about why he took her. When Jayme gets ready to share she can, if she ever wants to. No one needs details to what happened while she was in captivity. JMO

All we really know is that at some point his parents moved away and left him behind. I'm assuming that they did this with the belief that he would be fine on his own. Apparently they were wrong.
I'm wondering if he is mentally ill but they thought he was taking medication and alright on his own. I've seen this happen before with parents and their adult child.

Do we know if the parents were wealthy? Do we know anything about his lifestyle growing up ?
it's also possible he received disability or assistance of some sort ..as far as utilities his parents may have kept them on so the house was not destroyed by busted pipes ...maybe they went to do occasional cleaning etc so kept the water on... just basic upkeep for a house you may want to sell later

Thank you :) That gives me hope for Jayme’s case, so that no matter what, and for the most part, she will have a say in it MOO

I'm wondering if he is mentally ill but they thought he was taking medication and alright on his own. I've seen this happen before with parents and their adult child.

I'm guessing that they assumed he was an intelligent normal person who would be fine living on his own. It looks like he wanted to be on his own so he could live out a fantasy of keeping a girl captive.

Sheriff stated in PC that JP had been planning this for some time

I hope in time we will know why he chose Jayme, where he first saw her etc.

Unfortunately if JP is the only one who knows this then it's up to him to confess to those details...& he may not.....
I bet Jayme has alot of answers...I have a feeling he spent alot of time talking to her..my guess is in his head he may of thought she would fall in love with him or have feelings for him like he may have imagined he did for her.... she knew his full real name and clearly gave the police details on his car etc so I'm thinking he may have been trying to form a relationship

Perhaps he has made a statement to LE. Maybe he told Jayme this. She is the best witness to it all, except for what remains unspoken in his mind.
Ah yes. I'll bet he told Jayme. He told her his name so he probably told her how he planned and went about everything. It just surprises me he didn't take better care of her, cleanliness, food and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState