Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #36

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most importantly I hope they set up a trust to pay for serious life-long support. Shasta Groene has had a difficult life mired with drug abuse and her own troubles with the law (which IMO is understandable given the horrors she survived). Everyone cared when she was a news story but no ones helping her now. Even the house she was given ended up in a legal battle. So people who are so sure Jayme will have everything she needs should take a look at other victims of abuse. Elizabeth Smart is the exception, not the rule. She realizes this better than anyone and has dedicated her life to helping others avoid the common tragedy cycle.

Oh yes JC will need so much help and support to overcome this, and very long term help. While Shasta did get lots of support initially her teenage and early adult years are heartbreaking. Meth and heroin use, money issues, lost custody of her kids, very recently she seems to be on a better track and has regained custody and gotten married. Hopefully JC will fare much better.

Most importantly I hope they set up a trust to pay for serious life-long support. Shasta Groene has had a difficult life mired with drug abuse and her own troubles with the law (which IMO is understandable given the horrors she survived). Everyone cared when she was a news story but no ones helping her now. Even the house she was given ended up in a legal battle. So people who are so sure Jayme will have everything she needs should take a look at other victims of abuse. Elizabeth Smart is the exception, not the rule. She realizes this better than anyone and has dedicated her life to helping others avoid the common tragedy cycle.

I agree with you 100%.

I don't want to sound elitist, but as I am former LDS, Elizabeth Smart had things going for her which most surviving young adults don't have.
1) Her parents immense wealth allowed her to get therapy and all kinds of extra special modalities: equine therapy, art therapy, whatever helped her most to relax and heal her heart.
2) Because of her parents' status in the LDS church, she has and had an immense support system already in place which was extremely accepting and genuinely loving. Her rescue was truly a miracle.

Most younger survivors do not come from wealthy or even upper middle class homes, but often from extended broken families. I can't think of another abducted and rescued young person who has had the advantages Elizabeth had and has and this may adversely affect things like later substance abuse, possibly falling into the sex worker trade, and things like homelessness and abandonment of young children to " the system".

This is not in any way meant to diminish what Elizabeth Smart has done, become and advocates for others, but it does set her apart in tangible ways. One other advantage Elizabeth has which Jayme will never be able to have is the support of all her siblings, especially her sister who saw her be kidnapped and helped her be found.
We are so blessed to have her be an advocate in Washington for victims' rights, and for survivors' assistance. She is truly a beautiful soul, inside and outside.

From an objective point of view, and with NO " shade" cast on Elizabeth, very few wealthy children or teens have been kidnapped, assaulted, and released alive in the past 30 years. Elizabeth is the shining example of having resources and so many loving people with the financial means to get her the very best assistance. I'm thankful for her and for the help she is providing to others so very much, and I prayed and hoped for her every day she was missing. I know she'a a miracle child kept safe by mighty angels surrounding her.

We need more resources for these brave and very special young people so they can learn new ways of life which are full of educational and cultural experiences and growth. Programs which truly teach self- worth and composure, critical thinking congruent or ahead of chronological age, and a burning desire for high achievements and life excellence. Writing this, it sounds like I'm a cross between Miss Manners and Mary Poppins, but the ways we think about life, interests in the arts,history, and science; the ability to stand up and speak well and eloquently of hardships and personal victories seems to be a huge factor in later life successes.

I would loved to have anonymously fostered one of the past's young rescued girls and taught her about self- forgiveness ( the guilt is great even though it is absolutely only the perpetrator's guilt) and inspired her to love all the good and great things in our world and her life, but we don't live in a society which supports or even allows this sort of thing with a teen survivor of abduction and prolonged abuse.

This last part is not about Jayme, who seems to have a casual type of loving family but to the girls we have seen struggle to make their way as adults. Most of us know who has had arrests and seemed to not find their true and peaceful self after deprivation and abuse. It's really a marvelous wonder when a few manage to do so honestly.

I have high hopes for Jayme because of her age, because she has had many healthy physical activities which are beneficial to the mind and body, and because she has a loving family who was willing to go on national TV with her dog and a bottle of Starbucks when it was not known if the family at large was being targeted, if her parents were, or if she was the main target.
They love her enough to be brave, which is one of my main definitions of what loving really IS.

God bless Jayme, her aunts and uncles, cousins, and grandparents tonight and always. A Wells Fargo truck of gold can't make a miserable person happy again, but a loving and helpful extended family likely goes a long way towards regaining a sense of normalcy and love. ( I never had an extended family so I don't know what it feels like).

Last edited:
This is my opinion.

“I do not know the answer to that question”. (SF)

Terminology for “keeping this close to the vest.”

Of course he knows the answers to (some of) these questions, moo. These are basic questions and the first thing one asks and LE especially would seek to determine in this situation. Yes of course this is an active and fluid investigation, but imo they know a whole lot more that they’re saying, even at this early stage of the investigation. Which is good.

This is for obvious reasons including Jayme’s privacy.

I get it and I completely support this approach. We would do the same thing.
Glad for this actually.

All jmo.

Ps I hoping for all this

Last edited:
I haven't heard an update on Abigail Hernandez, who lived in NH, she was also held captive. It's strange that I kept remembering her with this case.

This has Abby written all over this. I’ve mentioned her a lot during all this.

I think she has courageously appeared on 20/20 to tell her story, haven’t seen the episode yet.

—-

ETA: note to bump her thread. You will appreciate mine and Skibby’s most recent posts on “victim blaming”.
(@skibaboo)

Last edited:
If I lived in Barron I would still be pissed that the sheriff made it sound like the community was safe! He didn’t know… he didn’t know squat!
Actually, the community was safe because the perp was 70 miles north and in hiding although no one knew this. If the sheriff had come out right away and said to the community that they should remain on high alert because they were in danger, then the community would be mad at him when this truth came out. I think the sheriff couldn't win this debate.

Re: the warning the community discussion, imo had Jayme been found deceased then I believe a warning to the community would have been much more emphasized, as in the case of Jessica Ridgeway, when they clearly warned us there was an active predator in the community whom they thought was local.

This has Abby written all over this. I’ve mentioned her a lot during all this.

I think she has courageously appeared on 20/20 to tell her story, haven’t seen the episode yet.

—-

ETA: note to bump her thread. You will appreciate mine and Skibby’s most recent posts on “victim blaming”.
(@skibaboo)

If you are like me and can read it faster than waiting for the video speed, there are both clips and a transcript of the 20/20 episode from Sept. 2018 online.

Basically, for those who would like to know: Her mother was stunned when she walked through the door. Abby said her mother had aged quite a bit from the stress.

I remembered her case after seeing the facts about the railway car and the dog shock collar.. and him letting her out on the road near her house after so long.

What I can say about her now: Her story ends with her saying " Never give up hope. If you have hope, you can get through it all" and that she has a baby now.
No mention of a career, education, any future plans or family support past the night she walked into her mother's house. These are the areas where we as a country are failing most young people, but it's a more evident need in those who have suffered and then escaped a living hell not of their making.

The complex MOs and circumstances made this a very challenging case, obviously. So many possible theories.

This goes to show how we need to consider in future cases these remote locations, which of course is a needle in a haystack.

The complex MOs and circumstances made this a very challenging case, obviously. So many possible theories.

This goes to show how we need to consider in future cases these remote locations, which of course is a needle in a haystack.

I have no idea if you live in a huge metro area with few true outlying spread out suburbs, like in NYC, which would be a marvelous place to live and work, I know.
But, in average sized cities, there are so many suburbs and then smaller communities branched off, I don't think it will ever be possible for any LE to track an unknown perp with no DNA evidence or video- nothing at all of his presence, and a victim literally taken in what we believe is a matter of minutes after her parents' murders.
The only way to find them is really a controversial thing happening in Norway, I believe it is: the voluntary implantation of microchips for other reasons.
Since I value my privacy to the point that I shun all social media platforms entirely, the chance of me voluntarily being chipped like my dogs are is 0%.

Also, as far as I know, no studies have ever been done to determine whether such an intrusion could find the missing. It might just get them cut on to remove the chip.

I've looked for answers to stop abductions of infants to adults, and I cannot find one which the perp. wouldn't know about and couldn't disable. Also, many victims are completely disabled during the time they are held, like I was. I could not move at all voluntarily, so a panic button would not have worked. We didn't have smart phones then, but whether or not the abandoned house I was taken to had cell phone coverage is questionable anyway.

So many variables between life and death from moment to moment. Only God knows it all.

"He had no criminal record, according to the sheriff. He graduated in 2015 from Northwood High School, where he was on the quiz bowl team and was a good student with a "great group of friends," said District Superintendent Jean Serum."

Sorry if this has already been posted. I was just surprised by the remark about the quiz bowl team, good student, and the great group of friends.

After Wisconsin girl Jayme Closs's safe return, question is: Why?

Looking at the chart that another poster offered it appears that mom gave a quit claim deed to dad, something typical in divorce to take a name/claim off of a deed.

I may be reading the to and from incorrectly and will need to go look at the records myself to follow the links and find out. But in either case JP appears to have been given free rein of the property. And it was perfect since the neighborhood was was made up of part time homes for many, with different people “living” in each (vacation rentals).

I know that JP is said not to have a criminal background but it’s reasonable to think this was not his first. It ‘feels’ (to me) that he would’ve worked up to this crime after being successful in keeping other (lesser) crimes from pointing back at him. To me, it seems like a game to him.

I may have missed some posts overnight because I actually slept so I’m sorry if much of this has been shared by someone else.

All MOO

[QUOTE="SeekingJana, post: 14715886, member: 22790”][/QUOTE]

ETA — Sorry, I completely messed up the quote.

I know she’s needs time with her family to grieve, talk, feel safe, and begin some sort of new normalcy. But if she is ever ready it would be wonderful to see her take part in a nonthreatening but fun atmosphere away from home.

Some posters have mentioned Jaycee Dugard’s program. If that is appropriate for Jayme it sounds wonderful. If not, maybe something that would offer help in a similar way.

The last I heard, which was early yesterday evening, the family had not set up anything like a go fund me account. I hope they do since people will indeed donate and the help may give Jayme more current opportunities along with the ability to make any choice she wishes for her future.

All MOO (I certainly don’t know the family’s take on this).

I
Just life without parole. He’s not going to offer anything less, unless he enjoys lynch mobs.

This guy might bite, as he might not want all the horrors he subjected Jayme to, revealed in court.

I sure hope he pleads.
I hope she doesn't have to be put through the ordeal of trial..but he seems sick enough to enjoy that.

I agree with you 100%.

I don't want to sound elitist, but as I am former LDS, Elizabeth Smart had things going for her which most surviving young adults don't have.
1) Her parents immense wealth allowed her to get therapy and all kinds of extra special modalities: equine therapy, art therapy, whatever helped her most to relax and heal her heart.
2) Because of her parents' status in the LDS church, she has and had an immense support system already in place which was extremely accepting and genuinely loving. Her rescue was truly a miracle.

Most younger survivors do not come from wealthy or even upper middle class homes, but often from extended broken families. I can't think of another abducted and rescued young person who has had the advantages Elizabeth had and has and this may adversely affect things like later substance abuse, possibly falling into the sex worker trade, and things like homelessness and abandonment of young children to " the system".

This is not in any way meant to diminish what Elizabeth Smart has done, become and advocates for others, but it does set her apart in tangible ways. One other advantage Elizabeth has which Jayme will never be able to have is the support of all her siblings, especially her sister who saw her be kidnapped and helped her be found.
We are so blessed to have her be an advocate in Washington for victims' rights, and for survivors' assistance. She is truly a beautiful soul, inside and outside.

From an objective point of view, and with NO " shade" cast on Elizabeth, very few wealthy children or teens have been kidnapped, assaulted, and released alive in the past 30 years. Elizabeth is the shining example of having resources and so many loving people with the financial means to get her the very best assistance. I'm thankful for her and for the help she is providing to others so very much, and I prayed and hoped for her every day she was missing. I know she'a a miracle child kept safe by mighty angels surrounding her.

We need more resources for these brave and very special young people so they can learn new ways of life which are full of educational and cultural experiences and growth. Programs which truly teach self- worth and composure, critical thinking congruent or ahead of chronological age, and a burning desire for high achievements and life excellence. Writing this, it sounds like I'm a cross between Miss Manners and Mary Poppins, but the ways we think about life, interests in the arts,history, and science; the ability to stand up and speak well and eloquently of hardships and personal victories seems to be a huge factor in later life successes.

I would loved to have anonymously fostered one of the past's young rescued girls and taught her about self- forgiveness ( the guilt is great even though it is absolutely only the perpetrator's guilt) and inspired her to love all the good and great things in our world and her life, but we don't live in a society which supports or even allows this sort of thing with a teen survivor of abduction and prolonged abuse.

This last part is not about Jayme, who seems to have a casual type of loving family but to the girls we have seen struggle to make their way as adults. Most of us know who has had arrests and seemed to not find their true and peaceful self after deprivation and abuse. It's really a marvelous wonder when a few manage to do so honestly.

I have high hopes for Jayme because of her age, because she has had many healthy physical activities which are beneficial to the mind and body, and because she has a loving family who was willing to go on national TV with her dog and a bottle of Starbucks when it was not known if the family at large was being targeted, if her parents were, or if she was the main target.
They love her enough to be brave, which is one of my main definitions of what loving really IS.

God bless Jayme, her aunts and uncles, cousins, and grandparents tonight and always. A Wells Fargo truck of gold can't make a miserable person happy again, but a loving and helpful extended family likely goes a long way towards regaining a sense of normalcy and love. ( I never had an extended family so I don't know what it feels like).
This is third fairly substantial message of yours that I read and been impressed by. Two things stand out. 1.) All three should be made into stickies and 2.) I want to be like you when I grow up.

I'm not going to lie I thought the outcome of this was going to be Jayme's body is found eventually. Thank god for one bit of amazing news to bring to an end this horrific tragic event. I don't know how it works in the States with your private healthcare system but hopefully she can receive some top therapy as it must have been one hell of an ordeal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns