Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the link!
Does anyone know anything about fourth degree sexual assault?

The suspect was 15 years old when his older brother assaulted a 15 year old girl? I think police should be looking close to home for other possible victims.

"The suspect’s brother, 24-year-old Erik Patterson, is a convicted sex offender and at one time lived in the same home in Gordon, Wisconsin, where Jayme was held captive.

According to court records, six years ago, when Erik Patterson was 18, he drove from Gordon to Buffalo City, nearly three hours away, to meet a 15-year-old girl and have sex with her. The girl told police she met Erik three weeks earlier on "an online chat site." Erik told police he "thought she was 17." In Erik's car, police found several maps, clothes and a police scanner.

Erik Patterson was charged with criminal sexual assault in the second degree, but the charge was reduced to fourth degree. He pled no contest and got a year probation."​

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox9...ng-criminal-history-of-closs-suspects-brother

Looks like 2nd degree (that he committed) is a felony, but argued it down to a misdemeanor.

(2) Second degree sexual assault. Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class C felony:
(a) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with another person without consent of that person by use or threat of force or violence.
(b) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with another person without consent of that person and causes injury, illness, disease or impairment of a sexual or reproductive organ, or mental anguish requiring psychiatric care for the victim.
(c) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who suffers from a mental illness or deficiency which renders that person temporarily or permanently incapable of appraising the person's conduct, and the defendant knows of such condition.
(cm) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who is under the influence of an intoxicant to a degree which renders that person incapable of giving consent if the defendant has actual knowledge that the person is incapable of giving consent and the defendant has the purpose to have sexual contact or sexual intercourse with the person while the person is incapable of giving consent.
(d) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who the defendant knows is unconscious.
(f) Is aided or abetted by one or more other persons and has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with another person without the consent of that person.
(g) Is an employee of a facility or program under s. 940.295 (2) (b), (c), (h) or (k) and has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who is a patient or resident of the facility or program.
(h) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with an individual who is confined in a correctional institution if the actor is a correctional staff member. This paragraph does not apply if the individual with whom the actor has sexual contact or sexual intercourse is subject to prosecution for the sexual contact or sexual intercourse under this section.
(i) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with an individual who is on probation, parole, or extended supervision if the actor is a probation, parole, or extended supervision agent who supervises the individual, either directly or through a subordinate, in his or her capacity as a probation, parole, or extended supervision agent or who has influenced or has attempted to influence another probation, parole, or extended supervision agent's supervision of the individual. This paragraph does not apply if the individual with whom the actor has sexual contact or sexual intercourse is subject to prosecution for the sexual contact or sexual intercourse under this section.
(j) Is a licensee, employee, or nonclient resident of an entity, as defined in s. 48.685 (1) (b) or 50.065 (1) (c), and has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a client of the entity.
(3) Third degree sexual assault.
(a) Whoever has sexual intercourse with a person without the consent of that person is guilty of a Class G felony.
(b) Whoever has sexual contact in the manner described in sub. (5) (b) 2. or 3. with a person without the consent of that person is guilty of a Class G felony.
(3m) Fourth degree sexual assault. Except as provided in sub. (3), whoever has sexual contact with a person without the consent of that person is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(4) Consent. “Consent", as used in this section, means words or overt actions by a person who is competent to give informed consent indicating a freely given agreement to have sexual intercourse or sexual contact. Consent is not an issue in alleged violations of sub. (2) (c), (cm), (d), (g), (h), and (i). The following persons are presumed incapable of consent but the presumption may be rebutted by competent evidence, subject to the provisions of s. 972.11 (2):
(b) A person suffering from a mental illness or defect which impairs capacity to appraise personal conduct.
(c) A person who is unconscious or for any other reason is physically unable to communicate unwillingness to an act.

I'm thinking about how he got money. If he was selling pot he wouldn't have made enough money to survive. Could he have been on SSDI or getting help from his parents? Maybe that's why they let him live there? They knew he wouldn't be able to support himself?

I questioned this in a previous thread because even though the house is foreclosed on and taxes not being paid you still have to come up with money for electricity, heat and if a wood stove you would have to keep it blasting 24/7 to keep your pipes from freezing, food etc. I was thinking maybe he was on a SSDI and maybe food stamps. But until we know more about him this is only a big fat guess. On the other hand his family could have been completely supporting him unless he was making the big bucks selling drugs which is another scenario. But somehow someone had to pay to keep utilities in the home, the electric company and heat will only let you slide for so long unless there are children in the home (for winter) which as far as we know there were not.

"He had no criminal record, according to the sheriff. He graduated in 2015 from Northwood High School, where he was on the quiz bowl team and was a good student with a "great group of friends," said District Superintendent Jean Serum."

Sorry if this has already been posted. I was just surprised by the remark about the quiz bowl team, good student, and the great group of friends.

After Wisconsin girl Jayme Closs's safe return, question is: Why?

Yeah, I hate it when depraved criminals are spoken highly of. It seems like some attempt to rehabilitate their image. But, I guess people are just saying what it seemed like at the time. I am surprised to read he had friends, I'm picturing him as an awkward loner, but maybe he wasn't always.

Not that I care one way or the other :) I hope he rots in prison.

Looks like 2nd degree (that he committed) is a felony, but argued it down to a misdemeanor.

(2) Second degree sexual assault. Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a Class C felony:
(a) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with another person without consent of that person by use or threat of force or violence.
(b) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with another person without consent of that person and causes injury, illness, disease or impairment of a sexual or reproductive organ, or mental anguish requiring psychiatric care for the victim.
(c) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who suffers from a mental illness or deficiency which renders that person temporarily or permanently incapable of appraising the person's conduct, and the defendant knows of such condition.
(cm) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who is under the influence of an intoxicant to a degree which renders that person incapable of giving consent if the defendant has actual knowledge that the person is incapable of giving consent and the defendant has the purpose to have sexual contact or sexual intercourse with the person while the person is incapable of giving consent.
(d) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who the defendant knows is unconscious.
(f) Is aided or abetted by one or more other persons and has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with another person without the consent of that person.
(g) Is an employee of a facility or program under s. 940.295 (2) (b), (c), (h) or (k) and has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a person who is a patient or resident of the facility or program.
(h) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with an individual who is confined in a correctional institution if the actor is a correctional staff member. This paragraph does not apply if the individual with whom the actor has sexual contact or sexual intercourse is subject to prosecution for the sexual contact or sexual intercourse under this section.
(i) Has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with an individual who is on probation, parole, or extended supervision if the actor is a probation, parole, or extended supervision agent who supervises the individual, either directly or through a subordinate, in his or her capacity as a probation, parole, or extended supervision agent or who has influenced or has attempted to influence another probation, parole, or extended supervision agent's supervision of the individual. This paragraph does not apply if the individual with whom the actor has sexual contact or sexual intercourse is subject to prosecution for the sexual contact or sexual intercourse under this section.
(j) Is a licensee, employee, or nonclient resident of an entity, as defined in s. 48.685 (1) (b) or 50.065 (1) (c), and has sexual contact or sexual intercourse with a client of the entity.
(3) Third degree sexual assault.
(a) Whoever has sexual intercourse with a person without the consent of that person is guilty of a Class G felony.
(b) Whoever has sexual contact in the manner described in sub. (5) (b) 2. or 3. with a person without the consent of that person is guilty of a Class G felony.
(3m) Fourth degree sexual assault. Except as provided in sub. (3), whoever has sexual contact with a person without the consent of that person is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.
(4) Consent. “Consent", as used in this section, means words or overt actions by a person who is competent to give informed consent indicating a freely given agreement to have sexual intercourse or sexual contact. Consent is not an issue in alleged violations of sub. (2) (c), (cm), (d), (g), (h), and (i). The following persons are presumed incapable of consent but the presumption may be rebutted by competent evidence, subject to the provisions of s. 972.11 (2):
(b) A person suffering from a mental illness or defect which impairs capacity to appraise personal conduct.
(c) A person who is unconscious or for any other reason is physically unable to communicate unwillingness to an act.

"Fourth degree sexual assault is a misdemeanor.

Fourth Degree Sexual Assault:

A person can be imprisoned not more than nine months in the county jail and/or fined not more than $10,000 for committing fourth degree sexual assault. This includes:
  • Having sexual contact with a person without that person's consent. Sexual contact means any of the following: Intentional touching, by the complainant or defendant, either directly or through clothing by the use of any body part or object, of the complainant's or defendant's intimate parts, if that intentional touching is either for the purpose of sexually degrading or humiliating the complainant, or sexually arousing or gratifying the defendant."
Definitions and Wisconsin Laws

But you had no hand in what she did, so why should you feel pride? I don't understand why you feel that you had a hand in it. You had nothing to do with it. It is not your achievement. I assume you are confusing pride in a complete strangers achievement with admiration for her achievement.... o_O
oh my, he is was proud of sleuthing skills not taking anything away from jayme, i think its time to let this go and move on.

I questioned this in a previous thread because even though the house is foreclosed on and taxes not being paid you still have to come up with money for electricity, heat and if a wood stove you would have to keep it blasting 24/7 to keep your pipes from freezing, food etc. I was thinking maybe he was on a SSDI and maybe food stamps. But until we know more about him this is only a big fat guess. On the other hand his family could have been completely supporting him unless he was making the big bucks selling drugs which is another scenario. But somehow someone had to pay to keep utilities in the home, the electric company and heat will only let you slide for so long unless there are children in the home (for winter) which as far as we know there were not.
I just read a few pages back that the father had paid off the mortgage - is this not correct? Thanks!

A poster here said 'I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the spectrum' . Personally, being the parent of a child on the spectrum I know a little about it and I would be very surprised if he was.

This comes up in almost every discussion on this website.
I'd be surprised if JP was on the sprectrum as well.
Even if he was high functioning, I don't think he could have pulled this crime off.
Yes, he has issues, but I don't think he has autism.

IMO

'She is doing as well as circumstances allow': Jayme Closs reunited with aunt
"She is doing as well as circumstances allow," Fitzgerald said.

Family friend MS said there was lots of screaming and crying when Jayme’s aunt first contacted her with the news. The family is ecstatic, said MS, of Rice Lake, Wisconsin.

Relatives spent Friday preparing so Jayme felt safe and comfortable when she came home.

"It was miraculous," MS said. "Just miraculous."

Patterson was arrested after Jayme provided the Douglas County Sheriff's Department with his name and a description of his vehicle. Police believe Patterson may have been driving around looking for her when an officer spotted the car, pulled it over and arrested him, authorities said.

"Jayme is the hero in this case," Fitzgerald said. "There’s no question about it."

(Names changed to initials by me. Also, 26 photos at the end of the article.)

There are televisions in jail & this has been national news. This guys face has been plastered all over the tv. He may be in an “individual cell” for now, but eventually he’s going to be moved into a group setting. Honestly, they may try and keep him away from others to insure someone doesn’t bash his skull in before trial. In a small town setting like Barron, he will almost certainly be in jail with men who know the Closs family.

I'm thinking about how he got money. If he was selling pot he wouldn't have made enough money to survive. Could he have been on SSDI or getting help from his parents? Maybe that's why they let him live there? They knew he wouldn't be able to support himself?

Depends how much he was selling, and also if he was selling anything else.

Who knows? He is obviously a very dangerous and extremely delusional person. We can be glad that he has been arrested and is in custody.

Maybe he is actually that crazy. Saw this little girl once, and became fixated/obsessed with owning her. That is what I find unsettling about Social media, who knows who is watching? Or what will set off a crazy person.

I wonder if he spotted her at Walmart, McDonalds or some other venue and began following her to find out more about where she lived, who she was, etc.? Perhaps she may have been polite to him somewhere (and never remembered that kindness). I believe he saw her in a public place and began following her to find out more about her. I would imagine he picked a town away from where he lived as another means to disguise who he was. Zeroing in on a victim who lived in his own home town would have been much more difficult to cover up, etc. What an evil man. So much planning had to go into carrying something like this off. And, to think he did it by himself. Real life sure is stranger than fiction.

Yeah, I hate it when depraved criminals are spoken highly of. It seems like some attempt to rehabilitate their image. But, I guess people are just saying what it seemed like at the time. I am surprised to read he had friends, I'm picturing him as an awkward loner, but maybe he wasn't always.

Not that I care one way or the other :) I hope he rots in prison.

I agree. I dislike the fact that the media is trying to humanize him as a normal person. He's NOT normal. He's a sick freak and I hope he gets a violent cellmate or two (sorry, this guy enrages me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214