Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM
I hadn't read this before. Who did she tell this to?

Oh goodness. It was in a news link in one of the threads shortly after she escaped. Maybe looking in the media thread will help. It should be there.

If not I will try to wade through all of the news links to find it.

ETA. I'm still looking KK. Maybe I misunderstood.

Last edited:
I do wonder if he did have any access to watch TV including the news.

The reason I don't believe he had it or didnt turn it on is Jayme said she had no idea people were looking for her.

Even if he never had it on when he let her out of confinement it seems like she would have been able to overhear it sometime during the 3 months. He did play the radio loud though so maybe he did that when he watched the news about Jayme and she couldnt hear the tv.

I think he told her no one was looking for her to make her feel more isolated..helpless and alone.

Jmo

If he'd kept it to certain cable channels, and away from local and news channels, then the news wouldn't have been broadcast. If he had occasionally allowed her to watch movie channels then she wouldn't have been exposed to the news bulletins. Back when we actually had cable we had to go looking for the news because the channels we watched never had updates.

But I am sure that he told her nobody was looking for her. That's pretty much Abduction 101: make them think that nobody cares. Helps lower the morale.

I saw a computer screen in one of the pics.

Do you recall which pic it was? I see a lot of old CRT-TV monitors, but no computer screens in the ones I've looked at.

I definitely see what a lot of others see in terms of something along the lines of "stunted development." There is the Monopoly game, and the Game of Life on a chair in another picture. Along with what seems to be a lot of youthful things being "held on to." My brother in law is in his 30's, but lives/acts like a 16-18 year old because of a disability he has. His residence is strikingly similar to what I see here. He always wants to get out old board games, and is always talking about the memories various objects have. I would not be surprised if there was some (un)diagnosed disability here.

At the end of the day, though, even people with problems still need to be held responsible for the evil they inflict on others.

Oh goodness. It was in a news link in one of the threads shortly after she escaped. Maybe looking in the media thread will help. It should be there.

It's ok. You're one I trust with info. I just hadn't seen this and thought I had read everything. This means I missed an article so I'll go find it in the media thread.

Missing Wisconsin teen Jayme Closs' family celebrates her return
Jan. 14, 2019, 5:45 AM MST

“Police have arrested and charged Jake Patterson, 21, with kidnapping and murder. He is expected to be formally charged in court on Monday. His defense attorneys said Sunday that they are requesting that he appear in court in person rather than over video link.

““We have a job to do, in terms of representing our client and protecting his rights and his interests, but we also understand the pain and the emotion that has been generated within this community,” said defense attorney Richard Jones at a news conference.”

Last edited:
If he'd kept it to certain cable channels, and away from local and news channels, then the news wouldn't have been broadcast. If he had occasionally allowed her to watch movie channels then she wouldn't have been exposed to the news bulletins. Back when we actually had cable we had to go looking for the news because the channels we watched never had updates.

But I am sure that he told her nobody was looking for her. That's pretty much Abduction 101: make them think that nobody cares. Helps lower the morale.
BBM
I hope she didn't believe him.

It's ok. You're one I trust with info. I just hadn't seen this and thought I had read everything. This means I missed an article so I'll go find it in the media thread.

I don't remember reading it, either, so I must have missed it as well. I'm not surprised. There are a lot out right now.

Marking my spot while I play catch up.

I hope that the actual criminal complaint, even if partially redacted (it happens) will be released for us to peruse after his appearance this afternoon & not just reported in bits & pieces by media.

More thoughts later when I catch up.

After seeing the diaper box I'm assuming he had her locked up somewhere. She probably wasn't watching tv. I'm also guessing he had only a couple local channels. Maybe an antenna stabbed in the ground outside somewhere.

Bringing this helpful information. forward from the media thread, thanks Pommy.

JAN 13, 2019
Jake Patterson’s Attorneys Speak Ahead Of Initial Court Appearance In Jayme Closs Case
Patterson’s attorneys say they met with Patterson Sunday night but did not say if their client has confessed to Jayme’s kidnapping or the killing of her parents. They said they have faith in the judicial system and expect to move forward with a fair trial.

Though Wisconsin allows a video appearance in court, Patterson’s attorneys say they will request Patterson appear in person given the severity of the case. Patterson is currently in a single cell at the Barron County jail.

We sat down with a local criminal defense attorney who walked us through what to watch for during Monday’s appearance.

“In Wisconsin, when you’re charged with first-degree murder it’s a life sentence and he’s going to have two charges plus the kidnapping charges,” Minneapolis Attorney Joe Tamburino said. “So tomorrow will be the initial appearance and the prosecutor could request he be held without bail for a short period of time – usually a couple of months – or request a large bail. It will be so high he’s not going to get out.”

Tamburino expects Monday’s initial appearance to take less than 15 minutes.

Jake Patterson may appear in-person or by video monitor.

Beyond setting bail, it’s a formal criminal complaint Tamburino says could be the most telling.

After seeing the diaper box I'm assuming he had her locked up somewhere. She probably wasn't watching tv. I'm also guessing he had only a couple local channels. Maybe an antenna stabbed in the ground outside somewhere.

BBM

Probably. I was just replying to a hypothetical.

To answer everyone's question, there appears to be availability for internet for two different companies for JP's address, so there is a strong chance he did have internet.

Top 3 Internet Providers in Gordon, WI | HighSpeedInternet.com

That’s probably the town of Gordon, I believe this small development is about 8 miles out of Gordon? I’m still looking for a dish for TV hookup . . . Not seeing an antennae on the roof in any photos. . .

ETA. I'm still looking KK. Maybe I misunderstood.
I'm looking too- hadn't heard this before

Here’s another helpful post by PommyMommy from the media thread as we get ready for today’s court hearing:

JAN 13, 2019
Attorneys for suspect in Jayme Closs case: ‘His feelings, emotions are consistent with what you’d expect’
Charles Glynn and Richard Jones held a news conference at the Barron County Sheriff’s Department.

“We did have a chance to meet with Mr. Patterson tonight. One of the first questions we were asked is ‘how he is feeling.’ I can tell you Mr. Patterson’s feelings are consistent with what you would believe of someone who was involved in these allegations. He’s in a single cell in the Barron County Jail, and his feelings are appropriate for the time and circumstances. This is a tragic situation, from every perspective –a lot of heavy hearts, lots of thoughts and prayers. It’s a strong community. You’ve seen how people have come together the last few months. There’s going to be a lot of healing that’s going to go on from every perspective. We have all the faith that will take place. Rick and I have many years of experience in the judicial system in the state of Wisconsin and we are very confident the integrity of the judicial system in the state of Wisconsin will allow this process to go forward in a fair and complete fashion. It’s going to be necessary — clearly emotions, information, misinformation — there’s a lot of stuff out there. We’re confident, Mr. Patterson, his legal team, in putting our faith in the judicial system to make sure all of it comes out appropriately. We area awaiting the filing of the criminal complaint tomorrow morning. We’ll be reviewing that and then there’s the initial appearance tomorrow afternoon. We can’t answer the particulars of that. There might be more in the criminal complaint. I cannot disclose (whether he confessed). I cannot discuss my specific conversations with him, but I will talk about the process and how we’re going to move forward,” said Glynn.

“Once they find probable cause, if they find probable cause, the next step is to set bail and a preliminary hearing, which, again, is a hearing at which probable cause is then evaluated with witnesses, so tomorrow is not when a plea will be entered. We’ve had the fortunate, misfortune, depending on who you ask, to watch different shows, different interviews, read different articles, newspaper. There’s been a lot of emotion. There’s been one scene that showed a number of people assisting with the search. This has been an emotional time for this community — very difficult — and we’re aware of that. We don’t take that lightly. We have a job to do, in terms of representing our client and protecting his rights and his interests, but we also understand the pain and emotion that has been generated within this community. Whenever you have that, you have to understand is there has to be a healing where people can move forward, and I think it’s widespread here. If you see the signs, Jayme’s name has been on signs in the community since October in different forms and fashions, so this community will have to heal,” said Jones.

Thank you. I always try very hard to never put out any misinformation but I am not able to locate the link at this time.

So I may have misunderstood or I am mistaken. If so..KK I sincerely apologize to you and everyone.

I'm still going to keep looking though.

Jmo

I enjoy pattern recognition, so here's my list of speculations. I'm a new and very zealous websleuth, so bear with me if I babble!

1.)OK. His older brother got in trouble for sex with a minor, but his FB showed him in a relationship with a same girl (same or different from charges, who knows?) for several years. Her FB showed about the same. Her FB also showed she was currently in WI...and still with the guy. So is he in WI, too? Could JP have been influenced by the having a relationship with a younger girl thing? Older brother has a drug charge somewhere, too. Could this be how the boys "supported" themselves? When police initially confirmed/recovered Jayme, they said they expected possible further suspects. Oh yeah? Brother one of them for a hot minute?

2.) JP didn't make the cut for the Marines. One of my boys is a Marine and you know, I am so proud he made it through! The basic training/Crucible is brutal! I didn't know my boy was that tough! So for JP to have been unsuccessful...what happened? And his mother posted he was "leaving soon" but no updates after...or none I could see. Hmmm...moms on social media are usually...loud and proud about stuff like that. In my experience, moms that enjoy hunting, (including bowhunting, yo), guns, wilderness, etc. are usually really vocal about the armed forces. What has JP been up to for the past 3 years? And if the theories about him being a "gamer" are true...yo. He'd have a social media presence SOMEWHERE. Gamers aren't gamers unless they get online to talk **** to one another while gaming! It's 1/2 the battle!

3.) I read that the cabin was transferred to a local credit union by the father 8 days before the kidnapping. Was there a "**** or get off the pot come to Jesus get a job" trigger? The parents have been divorced for some time...was dad tired of supporting his troubled sons? Whatever their economics, the family had enough $$ to keep a cabin - with utilities (at least lights & firewood), but their boys weren't in college or really doing anything with life...soooo...I'm not finding many interwebs fingerprints on the father either.

4.) People (teachers, friends from school, etc.) have described JP as a smart, quiet loner. OK. Neighbors said they weren't even fully aware that he was staying at the cabin but also that their family was known to be there year round. Grandma died in May. Was she there year-round? Was she "supporting" JP? The cabin ain't fancy, but the pics I saw show it to be relatively neat - esp. with a 21 yr old staying there for at least 3 months. Not all 21 yr olds are slobs, but most are. Best guess? Grandma lived there, dies, dad has to let go of cabin, JP has until end of year to hang out one last time - with a "girlfriend"? Maybe if he had a girlfriend to "take care of" dad would be more receptive to continued support? Maybe the kid was going to lose everything - no family to rely on, no job, nowhere to stay - and just decided to do something twisted before going out with a bang. Don't tell me 21 yr old males don't come up with these ideas...there's been too many in the news lately.

Just thoughts - too early in the morning & color me obsessed - over coffee & chainsmoking - while I hunt & devour clues! Feel free to point out any errors or offer answers on these burning questions!

Welcome to WS ! Excellent post. The Grandmother connection may explain the adult diapers as well as the random decor, leftovers from another person’s lifetime. It’s expensive to maintain multiple properties, esp if you’re also supporting adult kids who can’t hold down jobs. Perhaps it was “tough love” time and they were being forced out of the nest. It will be interesting to learn more as this unfolds. There’s definitely a story here w/ JP and I believe he’s on some sort of spectrum (disorder), possibly mild autism?

I can't imagine JP didn't keep himself updated with news on the murders and Jayme's kidnapping.
If he didn't have TV or internet at home then maybe he went somewhere to hear or read about it, like a library or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amelia65452