Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Haley BeMiller on Twitter
Smart takes the stage, saying she’ll start by telling her own story: “I want you to understand what it means to be a victim.”
D1vJs7bWsAY6cKZ.jpg

Smart said dealing with the notoriety following her rescue was difficult. She couldn’t go anywhere without being recognized. “I’d never go back to just being that wallflower.”

Smart: You should never ask a victim a question that starts with, “Why didn’t you?” “Whatever they’ve done, they did the right thing, because they survived.”

Smart called #JaymeCloss a survivor. “Despite the horrors that she saw, despite the terrible things she suffered...she still escaped.”

Smart: “It’s important to allow (Jayme) space to reclaim her life.” She encourages Barron residents to write her a letter if they want to talk to her so she can read it when she’s ready.

Smart takes the stage, saying she’ll start by telling her own story: “I want you to understand what it means to be a victim.”
D1vJs7bWsAY6cKZ.jpg

Smart said dealing with the notoriety following her rescue was difficult. She couldn’t go anywhere without being recognized. “I’d never go back to just being that wallflower.”

Smart: You should never ask a victim a question that starts with, “Why didn’t you?” “Whatever they’ve done, they did the right thing, because they survived.”

Smart called #JaymeCloss a survivor. “Despite the horrors that she saw, despite the terrible things she suffered...she still escaped.”

Smart: “It’s important to allow (Jayme) space to reclaim her life.” She encourages Barron residents to write her a letter if they want to talk to her so she can read it when she’s ready.
What a lovely, articulate and well meaning woman who can specifically relate as she herself experienced the absolute horror of a similar situation. She has taken victim advocacy to a stellar level IMO and her words of wisdom and compassion are an encouragement to well deserving town and group of people who have rallied around Jayme and the Closs families. Well done Elizabeth!

D1vJs7bWsAY6cKZ.jpg

Tears again while reading this; not sure if they’re happy or sad tears for both Jayme and Elizabeth. I’m glad they have each other and Elizabeth is able to give some guidance to the community and the rest of us.

Elizabeth Smart talks healing at Barron town hall as Jayme Closs starts to reclaim her life

Now that Jayme is home, Smart said, it’s OK for the community to keep living. The family will need time to mourn Jayme’s parents, James and Denise, but things will get better, she said.

Smart also called Jayme an extraordinary young woman who will find her way forward.

“Despite the horrors that she saw, despite the terrible things that she suffered that are hers and hers alone to share, she still escaped ... she is a survivor,” Smart said.

He's somehow managing to contact these desperate for headlines reporters and of course they are going to print what he says and let the chips fall where they may. It's always about the next big story and the ratings IMO.

Something special and thoughtful for the community of Barron and even probably Jayme and her family now has been overshadowed somewhat by his obsessiveness. :(

MOO
Let's be clear here. JP received a letter with list of eleven questions from KARE11 reporter Raguse, and unfortunately, JP replied to him. Similarly -- WCCO reporter Jennifer Mayerle reached out to JP with more questions, even providing him her cell phone number with a reminder that Friday (today) marks 5 months that JP massacred JC's parents and took her hostage. Mayerle would have accepted the charges for his call. JP is insane. It's disgusting that media is contacting JP for whatever clip they can get while JP is taking the bait as his way to draw pictures for JC and/or express his affection for her. Media's the initiator here.

This is not news. It's not journalism. It's giving a crazy person a platform to display his fantasy world of "playing house" -- cooking together and playing board games with a little girl. Shame on them. MOO

Let's be clear here. JP received a letter with list of eleven questions from KARE11 reporter Raguse, and unfortunately, JP replied to him. Similarly -- WCCO reporter Jennifer Mayerle reached out to JP with more questions, even providing him her cell phone number with a reminder that Friday (today) marks 5 months that JP massacred JC's parents and took her hostage. Mayerle would have accepted the charges for his call. JP is insane. It's disgusting that media is contacting JP for whatever clip they can get while JP is taking the bait as his way to draw pictures for JC and/or express his affection for her. Media's the initiator here.

This is not news. It's not journalism. It's giving a crazy person a platform to display his fantasy world of "playing house" -- cooking together and playing board games with a little girl. Shame on them. MOO

Thank you. This really says it all.

YES, I agree. And it hurts me to think that Jayme needs to keep hearing anything from this creep anymore, about them 'cooking together' , blah blah blah. She wasnt cooking or playing games 'with' him---she was trying to stay alive a little longer. That is it.

YES, I agree. And it hurts me to think that Jayme needs to keep hearing anything from this creep anymore, about them 'cooking together' , blah blah blah. She wasnt cooking or playing games 'with' him---she was trying to stay alive a little longer. That is it.

What will it take to get the media 'on board' with protecting JC? Perhaps a boycott of their networks? Better yet, IMO, their network sponsors. Can I even say that? I'm so disgusted that JP continues to matter to these so called reporters. Jayme matters. Not this creep.

I couldn't agree more and that was the point of my post. Yes, the reporter reached out to JP specifically like many others have, each vying for their own 15 minutes of fame.

JP is using this to his advantage to continue to spin his version of the time he brutally murdered her parents in front of her and kept her held hostage as a fairy tale, a play date if you will. It is disgusting and it is specifically designed for JP to continue to communicate with Jayme in a sick and twisted game.

I think and hope Jayme isn't keeping up with all the media surrounding her case, not that she won't hear or see it someday.

I absolutely wish JP would shut his mouth and go away like he said he would. I have a feeling that might not be the case here after all. :(

What will it take to get the media 'on board' with protecting JC? Perhaps a boycott of their networks? Better yet, IMO, their network sponsors. Can I even say that? I'm so disgusted that JP continues to matter to these so called reporters. Jayme matters. Not this creep.
Unfortunately Jim, I believe they will continue to report any little piece of garbage they can get their hands on. The media can definitely be a double edged sword at times.

If it's any indication how revolted the public is by reporters actions, Jennifer Mayerle did not post her "get" on her twitter feed. It's the first place I went intending to voice my concerns about her contacting an insane murderer, and then contacting JC's family asking for comments. Disgusting.

Stay close but give Jayme Closs space, Elizabeth Smart tells Barron, Wisconsin

[...]

“I thought I could just go back to who I was before I was kidnapped. … I didn’t know at that point in time that I would never be that girl ever again, and that was one of the hardest things coming home,” Smart told a crowd of about 1,300 people jammed into the Barron High School gymnasium on Friday night — a community trying to understand how they could best support their own famous kidnapping victim, Jayme Closs.

[...]

Smart said she was inspired by the outpouring of support in Barron and by the strength of the girl they’ve rallied around.

It’s a time for reclaiming “all of your lives, because this has touched so many people,” Smart said.

[...]

After she returned home, she said, she wanted to live life to the fullest and didn’t want to miss out on anything. She appreciated the carpeting and running water in her home, and even homework.

But, she said, some people asked her why she didn’t scream during her captivity, why she didn’t run.

“I want to take a second and tell you, you should never ask a victim a question that starts with the words ‘Why didn’t you,’ because they hear ‘You should have,’ ” Smart said.

[...]

And as much as people want to keep publicly showing support for the girl, she said, it’s OK to take down the “Welcome home, Jayme” signs that dot businesses and churches.

“They don’t have to stay up forever, because Jayme will want her anonymity some day … nobody will have thought that you have forgotten her,” Smart said. “I know you all love her. I know you are all extremely protective of her and will defend her tooth and nail.”

It was the kind of advice the community needed now, a couple of months after Jayne escaped her captor, said Barron School Board Member Dan McNeil.

“We have to give her space,” he said. “Give her support, but do it in a respectful way.”

[...]

Elizabeth Smart shares message of hope with Barron County, Closs family
“I was a very similar age to Jayme when I was kidnapped and it was the most terrifying experience of my entire life,” Smart said at the meeting, according to WCCO.

Smart has been in contact with the Closs family personally and also visited law enforcement who worked on the case for the 88 days she was missing, WCCO reported.

Elizabeth Smart speaks to Barron County about Jayme Closs abduction
Smart spent a few days in Barron meeting with smaller groups, she didn't say whether she met directly with Jayme, but she has spoken with her through this process and calls her extraordinary... adding that she is a true survivor and there is no stronger praise.

Kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart speaks at Barron County gathering on helping Jayme Closs reclaim her life
"Also, give Jayme space and time to heal. Don't remind her of what happened," Smart said. "Because although terrible things happened to her, she is not damaged."

Smart encouraged members of the community to let Jayme have a normal school experience and friendships.

Smart spoke for 30 minutes and was ready to take questions from residents.

"It's so easy to caught up in thinking the world is a terrible place, but I just spoke to 1,000 people who care about the community and care about Jayme and that is inspiring," Smart said as she was leaving Barron County.

Last edited:
Is Elizabeth Smart's appearance streaming or being recorded for future viewing?

Someone may have already answered you, but it appears that lifetime coordinated this. It is going to be made into a lifetime movie or documentary. Local media was only allowed to document the first 10 minutes. From what I understand reading the articles. M o o

ETA I really liked it Elizabeth, in the first part, said that if you want to talk to her please send it in a letter. It lets other people preview it and screen it, and lets her do it on her own time versus running into somebody in the grocery store and asking her questions. I think it was a good reinforcement that she needs to do it on her time, and a good reinforcement through letters that things need to be screened.

How is a Lifetime movie different than talking with the monster?

With any luck, he-who-I-won't-name will barely be mentioned, but IDK. I don't watch TV and am unfamiliar with Lifetime. Does Elizabeth Smart work for Lifetime? As in get paid by them? MOO.

With any luck, he-who-I-won't-name will barely be mentioned, but IDK. I don't watch TV and am unfamiliar with Lifetime. Does Elizabeth Smart work for Lifetime? As in get paid by them? MOO.

Me either. Never have seen a lifetime movie.

But how can the story be told without him? Not possible

Someone may have already answered you, but it appears that lifetime coordinated this. It is going to be made into a lifetime movie or documentary. Local media was only allowed to document the first 10 minutes. From what I understand reading the articles. M o o

ETA I really liked it Elizabeth, in the first part, said that if you want to talk to her please send it in a letter. It lets other people preview it and screen it, and lets her do it on her own time versus running into somebody in the grocery store and asking her questions. I think it was a good reinforcement that she needs to do it on her time, and a good reinforcement through letters that things need to be screened.
Documentary for future release. I don't think it will be limited to JC but include other kidnapped survivors stories.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eveirs
Back