AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When the sheriff was on Ashleigh Banfield last week, she asked him if he was doing any of over a dozen things, from checking truck stops and campsites, to checking security video from Walmart. He responded that they were doing all of those things.

Sometimes a crime doesn’t lend itself to a quick resolution, despite the best efforts of LE.

This seems to be one of those cases.
Off topic but where is the Ashley Banfield show. Seems to be gone.

If you have a link for the electronics info would you mind posting? TIA

I think it's from this post (taken from media thread). BBM:

OCT 31, 2018
Investigative Force in Closs Disappearance To Be Cut By Half, Sheriff Says
Within days the number of law enforcement in town - participating in ground operations like searches in and around the Closs home, cornfields and nearby land - swelled to 200. That included local deputies, the Wisconsin Department of Justice, FBI and ATF agents and other police agencies.

The investigative force will be cut in half going forward, from 200 to 100 as the journey to find Closs enters a new phase. The focus now is online communications and messaging apps.

News of the new investigative approach touched families on Halloween night, who supervised their kids out trick or treating, like MC of Cameron. "I was really looking forward to this, but it became a bit spooky considering what happened," she said.

MC's mom, KG, only allowed her daughter out after dark if she drove alongside her as Crain walked through town with friends to knock on doors. "I keep them close at hand anywhere they go now, they aren't allowed out of my sight," said Gronski.

Other parents in the town of Cameron simply refused to let their kids out for the night. The Barron County sheriff said extra patrols were out for the holiday, but the agency does that every year for safety's sake.

I keep thinking the same thing about the dogs picking up her scent if she ran off alone or if the perp dragged/carried her into the woods.

But then I remember the searchers and their dogs weren’t able to find Elizabeth Smart, even though they were close enough that she could hear the searchers calling her name and the dogs barking.
IMO The dogs go in the exact direction without regard to mapping, terrain, roads, obstacles of any kind. The dogs do not think about those problems.

I too, am shocked it is taking so long. They keep looking for a Wisconsin plate, they should start asking at nearby truckstops for out of state plates on their camera footage that night!! If this was someone for Jayme, they would not have all this rage. This was someone who was angry. My 12 year old granddaughters are smart enough to not communicate with strangers online or their phone. I don't really think Jayme did this!

Even adults are tricked online...men posing as women or teen girls, etc...it is not out of the question, and we have seen it here too often. Teens DO reply to messages, “likes” etc...usually without harm. But not always.

Also this one:

NOV 1, 2018
Search for Jayme Closs Enters New Phase
The search for a missing 13-year-old from Wisconsin is moving into a new phase Thursday, which includes scaling back the ground search. Authorities said that decision was made so investigators can focus their efforts on analyzing messaging apps and online communications.

According to the sheriff, the leads that remain center on the two vehicles of interest. The first vehicle is likely a red or orange 2008 to 2014 Dodge Challenger. The second vehicle is either a 2006 to 2010 Ford Edge or a 2004 to 2010 Acura MDX, both black.

The vehicles were seen by security cameras near the Closs home on the night of the incident.

And this:

November 1, 2018
New electronics K9 team trained; worked on Jayme Closs case

The Wisconsin Department of Justice (DOJ) Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI) has added an electronics-detecting canine, Kozak, to help assist regional Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC) Task Force teams.

“When people think of police canines, they often don’t know the true range of tasks different dogs can accomplish,” said Attorney General Brad Schimel. “Kozak has already assisted agents in discovering evidence that might not have been found.”

Electronic detection canines are a useful tool in uncovering electronic devices as evidence in a variety of crimes, prominently when people try to conceal electronic devices containing child *advertiser censored*. The intensely trained canines are able to sniff for particular chemical compounds, including triphenylphosphine oxide (TPPO) and hydroxycyclohexyl phenyl ketone (HPK), which are found in electronic devices. Kozak, like most electronic detection canines, is on a food-reward diet, which means he is only fed when he finds an electronic device. This requires him to either be trained or deployed on an operation every day, in order to stay fed and keep his skills up to snuff.

K9 Kozak and Special Agent Tami Pawlak, Kozak’s handler, completed a comprehensive training in August. Since then Pawlak and K9 Kozak have completed additional trainings and seven deployments, including the investigation into the disappearance of Jayme Closs.

Reminder that if anyone is looking for a MSM link about something, the media thread is posted in the first post of every thread and is very helpful: WI - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron,Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

I found several posts there on the recent focus on electronics. I still find the electronics sniffing dogs the most fascinating bit of new info. JMO.

I too, am shocked it is taking so long. They keep looking for a Wisconsin plate, they should start asking at nearby truckstops for out of state plates on their camera footage that night!! If this was someone for Jayme, they would not have all this rage. This was someone who was angry. My 12 year old granddaughters are smart enough to not communicate with strangers online or their phone. I don't really think Jayme did this!

When the sheriff was on Ashleigh Banfield last week, she asked him if he was doing any of over a dozen things, from checking truck stops and campsites, to checking security video from Walmart. He responded that they were doing all of those things.

Sometimes a crime doesn’t lend itself to a quick resolution, despite the best efforts of LE.

This seems to be one of those cases.

I remember that episode! I think AB did a great job asking those questions. And I believe the Sheriff equally did a great job in responding to those questions, too, IMO.

The interview was from AB's show on 10/23, and I've pulled some of that rapid-fire Q&A from the CNN.com - Transcripts for reference:

BANFIELD: Have you gone through all of the gas station and truck stops along every route that radiates from Jayme`s property?

FITZGERALD: We have reviewed all of the current video that we have from all those locations and for some reason we`ve missed somebody, which I don`t believe we have. We have done a neighborhood canvas, we have an alert system. We sent out and we stopped at every business along those routes. So, yes that is all been covered.

BANFIELD: So, those gas stations, those truck stops, they have to get gas, they have to get food, and just about every single one of them, if not everyone has surveillance. You feel you`ve covered every one of those stops?

FITZGERALD: Yes, I`m very happy with our surveillance team, and the team built around that effort. And they continue to review that video to make sure they didn`t miss anything. We put fresh eyes on that. Different and new people when we continue to do that video as we speak.

BANFIELD: All right. What about Walmart`s and drugstores. You know, we have covered missing children before who have turned up, but not before showing up on surveillance videos in Walmart`s where perhaps they`re buying hair dye or they are trying to alter the appearance of the child. Has that yielded anything?

FITZGERALD: It has not yielded anything. And yes, we`ve covered what we believe is every piece of evidence that we can come across or we believe they might have gone, like you`re saying.

BANFIELD: Any campgrounds in the vicinity. We`ve also covered cases where children have turned up in campgrounds.

FITZGERALD: Our patrol division has reviewed -- you know, went through it. All of our campgrounds are closed due to water freezing. It gets very cold here at night now. But we have patrolled -- our patrol division is out checking abandoned cars, you know, other things like that, and has produced nothing.

BANFIELD: I think Elizabeth Thomas was found in a wooded area with an abandoned cabin. Are there any vacation cabins, any vacation areas that obviously are out of season that you`ve been able to canvas as well?

FITZGERALD: Yes, we`ve had a lot of people call in saying, you know, I`ve closed my house up, but feel free to go check it. Or I have an abandoned property that you know, we`re fixing up, feel free to check it. That is why we`re asking for the public`s help. And the public has, you know, like I said, those would be tips, we would follow up on that with our investigative teams. And you know, we`re over 1400 tips, which is a large number of tips.

BANFIELD: Have you also canvassed through the trucking community? All of those truck drivers that fan all those roads, are they on the lookout for those suspect vehicles that you put out yesterday?

FITZGERALD: Yes, I`ve been on trucking radio, I had been at gas stations, on billboards, yes, all of that has been covered to bring Jayme home.

BANFIELD: It`s just absolutely confounding that you have fanned out over all of the necessary channels, the obvious channels. What about ATM`s and banks. I mean, these people can`t get far. They have to live in this society. It takes money, gas and food. They have to stop somewhere. Any banks, any ATM`s yield any surveillance video that is questionable.

FITZGERALD: Our surveillance team has -- you know as we said, we would release it from the podium or from me. We released the video that we have, or you know, the suspect vehicles, suspect persons of interest. They`re not suspects, let me correct that. You know, the person of interest. And that is the only, you know, thing we`ve asked the community to do. [...]

I remember that episode! I think AB did a great job asking those questions. And I believe the Sheriff equally did a great job in responding to those questions, too, IMO.

The interview was from AB's show on 10/23, and I've pulled some of that rapid-fire Q&A from the CNN.com - Transcripts for reference:

BANFIELD: Have you gone through all of the gas station and truck stops along every route that radiates from Jayme`s property?

FITZGERALD: We have reviewed all of the current video that we have from all those locations and for some reason we`ve missed somebody, which I don`t believe we have. We have done a neighborhood canvas, we have an alert system. We sent out and we stopped at every business along those routes. So, yes that is all been covered.

BANFIELD: So, those gas stations, those truck stops, they have to get gas, they have to get food, and just about every single one of them, if not everyone has surveillance. You feel you`ve covered every one of those stops?

FITZGERALD: Yes, I`m very happy with our surveillance team, and the team built around that effort. And they continue to review that video to make sure they didn`t miss anything. We put fresh eyes on that. Different and new people when we continue to do that video as we speak.

BANFIELD: All right. What about Walmart`s and drugstores. You know, we have covered missing children before who have turned up, but not before showing up on surveillance videos in Walmart`s where perhaps they`re buying hair dye or they are trying to alter the appearance of the child. Has that yielded anything?

FITZGERALD: It has not yielded anything. And yes, we`ve covered what we believe is every piece of evidence that we can come across or we believe they might have gone, like you`re saying.

BANFIELD: Any campgrounds in the vicinity. We`ve also covered cases where children have turned up in campgrounds.

FITZGERALD: Our patrol division has reviewed -- you know, went through it. All of our campgrounds are closed due to water freezing. It gets very cold here at night now. But we have patrolled -- our patrol division is out checking abandoned cars, you know, other things like that, and has produced nothing.

BANFIELD: I think Elizabeth Thomas was found in a wooded area with an abandoned cabin. Are there any vacation cabins, any vacation areas that obviously are out of season that you`ve been able to canvas as well?

FITZGERALD: Yes, we`ve had a lot of people call in saying, you know, I`ve closed my house up, but feel free to go check it. Or I have an abandoned property that you know, we`re fixing up, feel free to check it. That is why we`re asking for the public`s help. And the public has, you know, like I said, those would be tips, we would follow up on that with our investigative teams. And you know, we`re over 1400 tips, which is a large number of tips.

BANFIELD: Have you also canvassed through the trucking community? All of those truck drivers that fan all those roads, are they on the lookout for those suspect vehicles that you put out yesterday?

FITZGERALD: Yes, I`ve been on trucking radio, I had been at gas stations, on billboards, yes, all of that has been covered to bring Jayme home.

BANFIELD: It`s just absolutely confounding that you have fanned out over all of the necessary channels, the obvious channels. What about ATM`s and banks. I mean, these people can`t get far. They have to live in this society. It takes money, gas and food. They have to stop somewhere. Any banks, any ATM`s yield any surveillance video that is questionable.

FITZGERALD: Our surveillance team has -- you know as we said, we would release it from the podium or from me. We released the video that we have, or you know, the suspect vehicles, suspect persons of interest. They`re not suspects, let me correct that. You know, the person of interest. And that is the only, you know, thing we`ve asked the community to do. [...]
He was understandably reluctant to answer many of the questions, but that interview definitely served him well. He made it clear that LE is doing everything in its power here.

Thanks for the transcript!

Reminder that if anyone is looking for a MSM link about something, the media thread is posted in the first post of every thread and is very helpful: WI - WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron,Media, Maps and Timelines *NO DISCUSSION*

I found several posts there on the recent focus on electronics. I still find the electronics sniffing dogs the most fascinating bit of new info. JMO.
I agree and as we see they have been brought in quickly. Good work Sheriff Fitzgerald!

Was the septic tank opened or pumped and checked for evidence or does anybody think there is no reason to check?
There is no indication that the septic tank was opened or pumped. I am pretty confident in saying that with all of the media around they would have noted such activity, reported on it, and asked the Sheriff about it. So, if it is the case that the septic tank was not opened or pumped it suggests that law enforcement does not believe that anything of investigative value would be discovered by doing so.

This is my collection of thoughts on this case after much research. Bear with me. To get there, I feel like I need to help explain the environment and the experience of rural living .

I grew up in a similar rural area. We had no neighbors to speak of, and 20 acres of farmland on all sides. My brother was abusive and sometimes I screamed. No one heard me. I don't mean that to sound cryptic, but it fascinated me later that sound becomes distorted and less people report. I was in total isolation on the outskirts of a town with approx 4000 residents . My point is the isolation of a community can also create a risk whereas in a city you just statistically have more witnesses. This is why these sorts of cases are so difficult to solve. Isolation unfortunately equals opportunity to people with bad intent.

The second thing is that door issue. My dad was in the military. He taught us to look out the upstairs window to see who is at the door. You never stand behind a door and say hello. You have given away your locale. I would never have thought of that had I not been trained. I could be wrong, but it sounds like the dad had a lifetime of factory work, not a military man. IMHO I would say Ambush is likely as well, and the man we are looking for has some sort of military background . He knew to look for an isolated house, he knew to knock to take out the biggest threat immediately. The second threat of Mom, I'm guessing was why she was found in another locale, possibly hearing the gunshot and running out. That is a trap, again IMO.

From reading over the threads, I believe our Unsub has committed crimes of this manner before. I believe he chooses his victims somewhat randomly. (If Jayme was his motivation, he had to know she was there.) But I do not think he knew her personally. If this was an internet stalking, I believe the info would have been released.

I looked at Google earth, most of the trucks on the routes around town are pictured as CDL class. I'm not saying he s a trucker, but just an observation. The fact that she hasn't been found even semi locally points towards him taking her out of locale, and again shows planning. Planned distance.

I also looked up all the local cases for the last decades or so for Barron County and Rice Lake. My town is similar in size and rural density. We have 56 sex offenders in our town. City data showed Barron and Rice lake area as having 37. I've seen this mentioned as a high number and I don't think it is a variable as far as number that is outlandish in comparison to many cities of its size. Not a bad place to look though . They just did a net nanny sting and arrested 7 men there. Another article I found was south of Barron by 1hr 6min.

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox9.com/news/pierce-county-deputy-charged-with-child-sexual-assault

This area sounds like meth is the least of the issues happening. And I don't say that lightly. But most meth users dont generally feel powerful. (I worked as a clinical researcher collecting stats, first hand. ) The trailer park sex offenders dont generally step out of their own view/trailer court for their victims .

We are looking for a man who feels powerful, finds a rush in the ambush, not impulsive in his actions, and has kidnapped before. He likes the whole process. The closest M.O. I see to this is Israel Keyes, obviously dead now and not a suspect. But his ante kept upping and the game was to keep the risk high as a narcissist reward.

That's all I have put together. Also, after being an internet researcher on crimes against children the last few weeks I realize I know nothing about the world and my stomach hurts. And I know why I am here . I grew up in fear and abuse, and the only power I have now is to help the victims .

Dear Rainyday107,

Thank you for one of the most insightful posts I have ever read.

I am saddened to hear of your experience growing up in fear. The miraculous part is that your experience cultured and developed your genuine and deep compassion towards others.

Your remarkable empathy, alongside your astuteness, is evident in all of your posts.

You are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members