AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It had snowed here earlier on that Sunday. The temps were in the mid 20s to low 30s that night.

Thanks! So not only was the house closed up, but the heat was likely to be on. Those gunshots had to compete with some sound buffers plus some other noise at the time.

Plus the neighbor house is some 230 yards away. At one point the neighbor said she heard the gunshots around 2 a.m., not 12:30. The neighbor account may also be spurious.

The night being cold suggests the perp took Jayme somewhere prearranged. The fact that he didn't harm the dog gives me faint hope that he hasn't harmed the girl. Of course she has been harmed, but you know what I mean. Later...

Maybe the person didn't even knock. Maybe the perp(s) kicked in the door and James ran out to see what the noise was? Perhaps a brief struggle ensued and James was shot in the doorway. He seems like he was a big man and he had a family to protect. I can't see him running back into the bedroom if someone had just kicked in the door in a surprise attack. JMO.

BTW, did you happen to know the family Herb?
(Just wondering since your user name has Wis in it and you are calling James by his last name in a familiar way).

No, didn't know them. I've been to Barron a couple times. Lots of turkey feathers along the road. Rice Lake is the good shopping city around here.

If the red/orange car was owned by a local, LE would know who owned it.
If the red/orange car had been stolen from anywhere in the country, LE would know that.
This tells me that even if LE don't have the WHO yet, they do have something to work with at least as far as pertains to the owners of the vehicles.

How? They don’t have a VIN number or plate number. They have surveillance footage.

Finally am caught up on this thread and am disappointed there is no info out yet and no announced progress. Sad, but this case just seems unique in all the different possible scenarios that could have possibly played out. But until we get more facts released, hopefully soon, don't know what else to say as I see no reason to change my original thoughts until I have some concrete facts to work with. One thing is I plan to go to Rice Lake in a week so I am looking forward to just get the pulse of so many of my friends, relatives, classmates, etc just to get their gut feeling. Although I never knew any Closs, Denise wasn't even born when I left for the military and James would have only been 6 years old, it is a very small, close-knit, friendly area so I am interested in what the locals are thinking. I will be there til after Thanksgiving. I hope and pray every day this case will be resolved shortly.

Wow. Some insights will be coming for sure!

Question for Wisconsin residents.

Does the Wisconsin State Police handle criminal matters or just traffic?

Does the county where this crime happened have a police/sheriffs department and if so do they have jurisdiction in this case?

Does Wisconsin have a State Bureau of Investigations?

What “outside” agencies came to town to help out?
I'm not a Wisconsin resident, and this won't answer all of your questions, but FWIW:

Now, investigators from Barron County, the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation, the FBI and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children are searching for the girl described by friends as a "sweet and shy" middle schooler who enjoys dancing and sports.
Wisconsin girl missing 4 days: What we know about Jayme Closs' disappearance and her parents' death

Does the county where this crime happened have a police/sheriffs department and if so do they have jurisdiction in this case?

FBI Special Agent Justin Tolomeo said the FBI is providing investigative, technical, tactical and intelligence resources, as well as agents from the bureau's Child Abduction Response Deployment team.
Brian O'Keefe, the Wisconsin Department of Justice's administrator of the Division of Criminal Investigation, said the DCI has also brought in resources from around the state.
Wisconsin Authorities Hope for 'Rapid Conclusion' in Missing Wisconsin Teen Case

There was a press release October 18th posted by Barron County Sheriff's Department stating:

The Barron County Sheriff’s Office continues to work with our local, state and federal law enforcement partners in the search for missing and endangered 13 year old Jayme Closs.

In addition, DOJ Division of Criminal Investigation, Child Abduction Response Team, Wisconsin State Crime Laboratory, and Victim Services Crisis Response Team are also assisting local and federal law enforcement in the investigation.

Edited to add Press release Nov 1 by Barron County Sheriff's Department stating :

The Barron County Sheriff’s Department would like to thank all of our law enforcement agency partners who have assisted and continue to assist us in the mission to bring 13 year old Jayme Closs home. Each agency contributed an unbelievable amount of resources to this investigation, and we could not be more appreciative of the help from our local police and sheriff’s departments, the Wisconsin State Patrol, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Wisconsin Department of Criminal Investigation (DCI), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Last edited:
I so agree. This will be old news next week as another horror will have occurred. I like the drip idea. It will keep this case alive. As tacky as my remark will be seen, dripping info will be like a serial story on TV and will keep people engaged.

Couldn't agree more!

Find our Jayme!

Lots of possibilities there. He might have heard a noise and just was standing near it. Or just happened to be there for another reason. The only way I see him answering the door is if he thought he knew who it was.
I too can see JC approaching door and asking who was there. I believe if he recognized party behind the door, he'd open it, ( if not, he wouldn't). However, I also believe if JC deemed party a stranger, and one that did not leave and/or hanging around outside, I think JC would have armed himself and kept watch until he thought they'd left his property -- or call 911.

I think it likely the Closs family got off guard -- forced entry before JC could arm himself, and DC called 911 as soon as she got to her phone.

Last edited:

Not a Wisconsin resident - not a requirement to answer these questions. All the answers are easy to find.

Wisconsin State Police were involved with this case. In the handling of the crime scene two State Police Officers were dispatched to perform the task of Forensic Mapping. Also, State Police provided assistance in the investigation and provided patrol officers to handle calls within the county early in this until the investigation resources and structure was worked out to get Barron County deputies back on regular duties.

The Barron County Sheriff's Office is the lead agency as this crime occurred in their jurisdiction. The City of Barron has its own police force but the Closs home is located outside the city limits and is located in the Town of Barron which has the County Sheriff's Office providing its law enforcement. This is why the Sheriff's Office was dispatched to this call rather than the City of Barron. Barron City Police were dispatched to back up and support the call in addition to the dispatched Emergency Response Team (effectively SWAT) early in the call.

Wisconsin has a State law enforcement organization - Division of Criminal Investigation. Their sole purpose is to assist law enforcement state-wide in investigations.

FBI field office in Eau Clair along with Eau Clair City Police were brought into the case very early with initial assistance on cleaning up the 911 call. FBI Support, including a CARD team were brought in, with the lead FBI Office ultimately being the FBI Office out of Milwaukee. I would think that FBI support out of the Twin Cities in Minnesota was also provided.

There was also support from Sheriff's Departments from other counties that provided deputies and officers provided from larger city departments that provided resources to assist. Also there was support from Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources that provided help with searches and checking on hunting cabins, game lands, etc.

A Virtual Private Network (VPN) can usually get past country restrictions.

I have VPN not enabled on my iPad. I do not know what that means. Should I enable it?

I would then. And that would suggest the person called out or otherwise made themselves known. Everything about this case points to it being someone who knew them.

I'm not sure. I go back and forth on that. What do you do when someone knocks on your door in the middle of the night? Ignore it? What if they don't knock but just kick the door in? Then what? Hide? Or fight for your life and your family member's lives?
I'm not sure my reaction is any different if I know the person on the other side of the door or not. I never open my door for anyone but if someone knocked/rang the bell I would look to see who it was (and I could be shot through the door in that moment of checking). If they kicked the door in without warning and all I heard was a loud noise while I'm in bed, I'm either going out to check or sending my husband out to check what the noise was. If either of us rushes out there without a gun we could be just as dead at the door as James was. Maybe one of us has a chance to hide and call 911 as it seems someone did in this case. The situation doesn't really change, though, if it's someone I knew unless the person gave lots of advanced notice they were showing up. If my husband runs out and confronts a known person and I hear gun shots I probably would not have time to both look out to see who it was and hide while calling 911. Unless the person announces themselves or yells who it is I won't know if I know them. Someone they knew could ambush them just as easily as a stranger. The stranger is just potentially taking a bigger risk that the home owner is not armed and there are no alarm systems on the door or hidden cameras or big dogs. JMO.
I think this aspect makes the case very frightening. :eek:

I have VPN not enabled on my iPad. I do not know what that means. Should I enable it?
It’s not going to do anything unless you have a VPN program downloaded already.

A VPN is useful if you are out of the country, or want to watch a tv show or something that is accessible only within a particular region.

It makes your device appear that it is in a particular country.

I use one in the United States to watch British tv shows.

So, here would be one scenario for which to apply a potential profile.

Assuming this scenario as possibility, and it is a strong one, imo, what possible specifical characteristically/profile aspects/elements would you cite?
@human and anyone who cares to answer, thanks for your input.

With the Jacob Wetterling case, LE had developed a profile where they thought the guy was in the military. He was in the guard.

They had the perp right away but then let him go for years. Why? Who knows. Anyway, LE developed a profile on little info.

I think with things such as how victims were shot and other i fo they have from the crime scene, they could glean some info. Organized, disorganized. I don’t know. Something to let people know.

Were they wearing boots or shoes? There must be blood they walked through. Size of shoes? What else could there be?

Ok, thanks for answering. I always hope we will get an insider here who knew the family. :)

Yes! Other groups that are full of rumor and debunked info that are very graphic have friends/fam even though it states they are not welcome. Maybe they ARE here but cannot say much without being “confirmed insiders”.

All of that makes me think it's an area person. Seems too planned to be a random out of Towner.

Why do you think the Challenger has not been identified?

Years ago a child was hit and run with someone with a yellow car. I called the neighbor boy in and LE told me it was not him. They said he had been called in many times.

So I think if anyone in the area knows of a Challenger,they would have called it in

Last edited:
Yes! Other groups that are full of rumor and debunked info that are very graphic have friends/fam even though it states they are not welcome. Maybe they ARE here but cannot say much without being “confirmed insiders”.

I always ask first if someone knows the family because insider posts will get deleted if they are not verified by the mods first. WS has strict standards for those claiming to know something. Anyone can make a fake SM account and claim to know the people involved. I stay away from SM as much as possible. I still hope we get an insider here but I'm not too surprised we don't have one. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966