AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many if not most security cameras can be "forced" to take color images at night by turning off B&W and turning off IR. But you would need a very strong source of white light. If you don't have the light the color setup would produce even a worse image than B&W. That is why most security cameras default to B&W after dark and turn on the IR If it is dark out with no light source you are way better off going with B&W if you don't have a strong light source. Dahua Starlight cameras are recognized as being the best in low light that most consumers can afford. I live quite a ways off the road as I live in the country and on acreage. I have mine on my driveway and it is excellent. At night if someone is within 125' of my house it will capture everything including the license plate. But when a car goes by on my road, which is dirt, I can't tell much as the headlights shine ahead and don't light up the car so as far as I can tell it could be a horse on steroids with headlights, yes, lots of horses around here. I can barely tell it is a car at all when it is dark. Also there are no street lights around and my nearest neighbor is probably 1k feet away or more so no outside lights around. If you live in the city or have motion sensors that will turn on a bunch of lights that is another story but if you are in total darkness and relying on the light of the IR to get a clear picture in the dark after about 150' it won't be that good. Again, this is with consumer level security cameras.

I know nothing about guns at all. I would think having a serial number on the shell casings would be helpful and deter crime, but doubt that will happen in our life time. Someone with better understanding could chime in.

BBM: I had to think about that for a minute. I can think of a few reasons that wouldn't be feasible. 1) I'm not sure you could fit the amount of unique numbers onto individual casings, 2) killers would pick up and reload other peoples spent brass (at the range, etc.) or make their own, 3) killers simply would pick up/take their brass with them before leaving the crime scene, 4) be difficult/costly/prone to errors to maintain records, 5) wouldn't help at all with a revolver.

I'm delighted to answer any questions I can about firearms, but we should stick to queries as it's related to the case. Firearms/gun control topics tend to get contentious and is definitely off topic.

Oh, wow, I didn't even know that. All I know is the spent casings end up on the floor. Or ground. Or is it shells?

Shotguns use (commonly green or red plastic) "shells" and contain different size pellets or BB's inside, from dozens of tiny "gauge" to medium, to one large chunk of metal called a "slug".

Rifles and handguns use brass casings.

A "round" may refer to either, but a "shell" would indicate a shotgun and a "casing" rifle or handgun fairly exclusively by people who know a bit about firearms.

Both end up on the ground, except casings don't eject automatically out of revolvers.

I don't have a meth theory either but this report caught my eye. Violent, home invasion, and abduction of attractive, 13 year old female is a Drug Cartel snapshot. MOO

The Chippewa Herald: No easy solution for area's meth problem

The meth is coming from Mexican drug cartels, which have taken over most of the meth production in Wisconsin.

“It is more potent, more addictive and destructive, and cheaper,” Schimel said. “Since most of the distribution is being directed from outside our state and country, it is also more difficult for law enforcement to infiltrate and shut down the dealer networks.”

Wouldn’t people from Mexico stand out there? I imagine LE knows the routes and even the distributors

Mountain_Kat, I feel your pain!

First - I keep thinking: what's the likelihood of there being a family get together..then this happens...and it's not connected...?

Second: that darn 911 call.....just makes me....have all sorts of plain silly thoughts.....

I keep coming back to wondering why they thought they were dealing with a suicide at first. Especially when there wasn't an obvious weapon.

I keep coming back to wondering why they thought they were dealing with a suicide at first. Especially when there wasn't an obvious weapon.
During a suicide, weapons frequently end up underneath a body. Not seeing a weapon right away, doesn’t necessarily mean that there isn’t one.

Upon further examination, they realized that they were not dealing with a murder/suicide.

I really question that... I don’t know what Barron County is seeing, but in my Iowa county that’s also considered to have a meth problem the home grown meth production is still a big problem. It’s especially worth noting that the path of distribution is reverse of what we’ve ever dealt with before - the drugs are flowing out, not in. While much is certainly being both manufactured and distributed locally, it’s a whole different situation when you’re sitting on this end of the supply chain. And yes, I do believe that plays a role in the Closs murders.

Makes sense to me. People from Mexico would totally stand out in rural northern WI.

I see the house got a new door:
merlin_146233095_17df0541-38d0-4740-a256-d132a954f79e-articleLarge.jpg

Mystery in a Small Town: A Quiet Couple Shot Dead, Their Daughter Missing

I wonder if it has a mortgage. I suppose someone might buy it . I would tear the house down and hope a neighbor would buy it for additional acreage and leave it empty

In one of my early posts i asked why the neighbours didn't report the gunshots they heard at 12.30. I got a few replies saying that gunshots in rural areas in the middle of the night were quite normal and nobody would report them. A hunter would know this so wouldn't be too bothered about anybody hearing the shots.

Anyone in the country is not bothered by shots. In the past, it meant nothing. Maybe a shot at something like an animal predator.

Now people are going to be very onguard .

It was in an article so it was a reporter who wrote that he said it. I wonder if the reporter would have made the mistake? I don't know how common it is to make that kind of error. I might but I would think a reporter would get it right. Especially since it was a summary of what the sheriff said in an interview.

BBM.
I wish we could rely on reporters for accuracy. If they don't know common firearm parlance, they may have gotten it wrong. If they read "rounds" on the log they might have inserted "casings" instead. IDK. We see it all the time. Clip/magazine; I've seen bullets when they mean cartridges, and cartridges when they mean casings. I've seen it all. :)

Look at the NYT article today. Notice, they wrote "At just past 1 a.m. local time on Oct. 15, a 911 call came in to the sheriff’s office.". Everywhere else, including the dispatch log it says before 1:eek:o; at 12:53 to be precise. It's just frustrating and makes sleuthing that much harder ;).

Link, paragraph just below the photo.: Mystery in a Small Town: A Quiet Couple Shot Dead, Their Daughter Missing

Nothing about where that house is located says "random crime" to me.

JMO.
Not so sure. I keep thinking of Israel Keyes, who had no connection to his victims. He’d fly cross country, rent a car, drive hundreds of miles to a site where he’d left a buried “murder kit” years earlier. In a way, he targeted the site, not the victims per se- hidden, like the Closs home. Interview footage was some of the most chilling I’ve ever seen. In MOO, I think he got sloppy & got caught because it became boring/ unsatisfying to never receive credit for his skill and cunning. Hopefully whomever did this to the Closs family will slip up soon so people can recover from this nightmare.

From what I recall, it was the day she was announced to have been missing or not long after that LE made the statement saying that they are confident Jayme is alive (very loosely worded).
Has it been stated since then or recently? People keep going back to that point so I am just curious because I haven’t heard too much.
Sheriff has dialed back his confidence in her being alive.

BBM: I had to think about that for a minute. I can think of a few reasons that wouldn't be feasible. 1) I'm not sure you could fit the amount of unique numbers onto individual casings, 2) killers would pick up and reload other peoples spent brass (at the range, etc.) or make their own, 3) killers simply would pick up/take their brass with them before leaving the crime scene, 4) be difficult/costly/prone to errors to maintain records, 5) wouldn't help at all with a revolver.

I'm delighted to answer any questions I can about firearms, but we should stick to queries as it's related to the case. Firearms/gun control topics tend to get contentious and is definitely off topic.
So what I am wondering is why wouldn't this guy try to pick up the shells or casings? Couldn't they have fingerprints on them?

BBM.
I wish we could rely on reporters for accuracy. If they don't know common firearm parlance, they may have gotten it wrong. If they read "rounds" on the log they might have inserted "casings" instead. IDK. We see it all the time. Clip/magazine; I've seen bullets when they mean cartridges, and cartridges when they mean casings. I've seen it all. :)

Look at the NYT article today. Notice, they wrote "At just past 1 a.m. local time on Oct. 15, a 911 call came in to the sheriff’s office.". Everywhere else, including the dispatch log it says before 1:eek:o; at 12:53 to be precise. It's just frustrating and makes sleuthing that much harder ;).

Link, paragraph just below the photo.: Mystery in a Small Town: A Quiet Couple Shot Dead, Their Daughter Missing
It also says Jennifer is holding the dog, Molly. She isn’t.

MOO of course, but I feel 100% certain the murders were the intended crime. Motive for the murders I believe most likely revolves around one of the recent drug busts and suspicion of who provided info for those raids.

That makes total sense. Tough guy wannabes driving a Challenger. Their knowledge could have come from neighborhood activities, something from the plant, or who knows what!

They loved their little daughter and probably hated what they saw in the world of meth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne