AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #21

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My grandson started getting himself off to school at age 10 in the middle of grade four. I do need to say he lives in a nice community, walked only a block to school, and there were lots of suburban houses and kids/parents around at the time he left for school. His mom called him every morning to make sure things were okay. The time between when his parents left for work and he was left alone was within community guidelines, and Minnesota is more liberal than some areas. He is now 12, in grade 6, definitely gets himself off to school.

Lots of kids get themselves off to school by age 13. Interesting that this did not seem to be the case with Jayme. Wisconsin has no laws, but kids can definitely be left home alone at age 12.

Jayme would be 13, in grade six/seven and had a caretaker. Interesting...

She could not walk to or from school. She lives on a highway. She has after school activities. How does she get and from them ?

When my kids were in middle school, I always had a “caretaker”. They never went home to an empty house where I lived in the country in MN. Kids have a lot of energy at that age. They need productive things to do. Going home to an empty house is not productive

Speaking as a teacher, the following reasons for a teen changing schools come to mind, based on experience of former students,. These are not in order. Number 3 below is a very common reason for changing schools.

1. moved to a new district- not applicable
2. legal change in guardianship

3. student has been bullied at old school and changes schools to get away from the bully (ies)
4. someone (usually the parent/guardian, not the student) decides that old school is not academically challenging enough or does not offer a certain program or programs for the student. New school is more challenging academically or does offer those programs.
5. Old school had major issues ( extensive drug/alcohol use by students, gang fights, etc.) and student did not feel safe/parents did not want them attending that school anymore.

As a teacher who lived in rural MN, my kids did not go to the home school because of daycare. It was my parents. If they had moved, my kids would have changed schools.

<modsnip - quoted post and reference to it removed>
we also don't know who she may have came in contact with while she was at her aunts. Where did the aunt live? Did she live in a rural area also? Did she live next to businesses? Again, we don't know much regarding Jayme's interactions while spending time at the aunts house. Did she spend a lot of time on SM there? Did she walk to stores etc... JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
LE doesn't have a working theory. What about us here on WS. Do we?
Can we try to advance a few working theories and see how they stand up to logical scrutiny?
I have a few thoughts:
IMO, this evil creep was someone known to at least one of the Closs family members.
IMO, James and Denise were the intended targets/victims.
IMO, Jayme was the motive for the crimes.
IMO, the evil creep is a lone adult male who had some type of inappropriate relationship with Jayme that came to light somehow and there was a confrontation that escalated/came to a head at the house that night.

That's just my working theory as of right now...it might change tomorrow.
Please feel free to scrutinize, hold it up to the light for inspection, fact-check, point out flaws in my logic, etc. I would really like to hear everyone else's theories based on what we know so far...there are a lot of great minds on this thread, with many individual members having a lot of specific knowledge in a wide range of areas. What's everyone thinking?

Well, the killer knew where she lived, assuming she was the target. Why wouldn't he know where she went to school? If this was an online connection, we have no idea what was discussed.
Yes, he may have known where she went to school. At the very least, he would have known she was a student at some school, we just don't have any way of knowing if he had any information about their lives at all. If he picked the house randomly, chances are he checked out the house in advance to observe their activities, and waited until he thought they were asleep before he attacked. If he was familiar with the family and had a reason to murder them, we obviously don't know what his motive was. That's what makes this case so frustrating, nothing makes sense. All we know is he murdered the parents and took Jayme. We can only hope that she is found alive.

Fitzgerald,in my opinion should pass over the case to the Websleuth community. Just release the 911 tape please. <modsnip - rude >

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandson started getting himself off to school at age 10 in the middle of grade four. I do need to say he lives in a nice community, walked only a block to school, and there were lots of suburban houses and kids/parents around at the time he left for school. His mom called him every morning to make sure things were okay. The time between when his parents left for work and he was left alone was within community guidelines, and Minnesota is more liberal than some areas. He is now 12, in grade 6, definitely gets himself off to school.

Lots of kids get themselves off to school by age 13. Interesting that this did not seem to be the case with Jayme. Wisconsin has no laws, but kids can definitely be left home alone at age 12.

Jayme would be 13, in grade six/seven and had a caretaker. Interesting...

I find it typical for many parents in rural communities.

I was raised the same. I lived in a very rural area and my aunt lived close to us. I was extremely close to her then and all through my life until she passed away at the age of 92.

I stayed with them until I was 16 but not because I had to continue until that age it's because I wanted to. It was one of the most enjoyable years of my life.

I don't think Jayme staying with a close family member had one thing to do with not trusting Jayme and much more about deeply caring about their daughter.

Jayme had just recently turned 13 and she had always stayed with her aunt and I see nothing unusual about her continuing what she had always done.

I think Jayme is very close to her family and the aunt may have had children of her own around Jayme's age. If so..which I find highly likely imo she would also be very close to her cousins. If Jayme needed anything while her parents were working they knew the aunt would be right there to take care of it such as making sure she had transportation for her after school activities.

I havent read anything even suggesting she didn't want to stay with the aunt who had always taken care of her when her parents were working or anything suggesting they did this because they didn't trust her.

She seems to be a very grounded young girl who was extremely close to her family. That will be a positive in Jayme's life should she be found and returned to her close family members.

Not every child wants to stay by themselves especially when they had always gone to a close family member's home most of their lives.

I think Jayme would be hesitant to all of a sudden stay by herself in her home after years of never doing so.

I dont find Jayme the typical 13 year old found in larger cities or more liberal areas. I dont think she was obsessed with social media either.

Not all of those who just became a teen want to grow up too fast. I just dont see anything that shows me she now all of a sudden didn't want to go to her aunt's anymore.

Jmo

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I've literally scoured everything I could find to get some kind of picture of the town, the neighbors and the Closs family and it's all really unremarkable. There is an opiod issue, but it's not nearly to the level that it is in some areas. It's a typical middle class mill area, a close family with deep roots to the community, typical ups and downs that all people have, the community is fairly stable with a few oddballs and the occasional bar brawl but a very active police force to deal with issues. The family were regular church-goers and Denise was very involved in community services as well as raising monies to fight cancer. Her family was everything, including her siblings and extended family. Jim seems like everyone's Dad, busy working, hanging out with the boys. And Jayme was a busy teen with cross country and dancing. It's just a normal family who went to bed that Sunday night after Mom and Jayme attended a family birthday party.

I believe there has to be very pertinent info we don’t and will not know until resolution.

In regards to the school switch, as stated by others, the aunt moved. It's possible that Jayme went to her aunt's house before and after school due to her parent's work schedule. If her parents had to be to work early, they couldn't just drive her to school at that time and leave her. She had to go somewhere, hence the aunt's house. She had to go somewhere on early dismissal days. She couldn't just wander around town until her parents were done with work. What would happen if school was released early due to snow ? Also, if I recall correctly, she didn't just switch this year -- I think it was a year or two ago.

I find it typical for many parents in rural communities.

I was raised the same. I lived in a very rural area and my aunt lived close to us. I was extremely close to her then and all through my life until she passed away at the age of 92.

I stayed with them until I was 16 but not because I had to continue until that age it's because I wanted to. It was one of the most enjoyable years of my life.

I don't think Jayme staying with a close family member had one thing to do with not trusting Jayme and much more about deeply caring about their daughter.

Jayme had just recently turned 13 and she had always stayed with her aunt and I see nothing unusual about her continuing what she had always done.

I think Jayme is very close to her family and the aunt may have had children if her own around Jayme's age. If so..which I find highly likely imo she would also be very close to her cousins. If Jayme needed anything while her parents were working they knew the aunt would be right there to take care if it such as making sure she had transportation for her school or after school activities.

I havent read anything even suggesting she didn't want to stay with the aunt who had always taken care of her when her parents were working or anything suggesting they did this because they didn't trust her.

She seems to be a very grounded young girl who was extremely close to her family. That will be a positive in Jayme's life should she be found and returned to her close family members.

Not every child wants to stay by themselves especially when they had always gone to a close family member's home most of their lives.

I think Jayme would be hesitant to all of a sudden stay by herself in her home after years of never doing so.

I dont find Jayme the typical 13 year old found in larger cities or more liberal areas. I dont think she was obsessed with social media either.

Not all of those who just became a teen want to grow up too fast. I just dont see anything that shows me she now all of a sudden didn't want to go to her aunt's anymore.

Jmo
Yes, I agree. Jayme seems very naive as opposed to street smart. For one of her school assignments students were asked what they would do if they had a million dollars. Her answer was "I would feed the hungry and give the rest to the poor." Very cute and a typical answer for a child. She in no way seems sophisticated or very mature. To me she seems to be at the beginning stage of adolescence.
The possibility that her aunt has a child her age makes sense. Her cousin posted something like, "Your Knight in Shining Armour James loves you and misses you." Maybe that is the child of the Aunt that cares for her. Makes perfect sense. Imo

In regards to the school switch, as stated by others, the aunt moved. It's possible that Jayme went to her aunt's house before and after school due to her parent's work schedule. If her parents had to be to work early, they couldn't just drive her to school at that time and leave her. She had to go somewhere, hence the aunt's house. She had to go somewhere on early dismissal days. She couldn't just wander around town until her parents were done with work. What would happen if school was released early due to snow ? Also, if I recall correctly, she didn't just switch this year -- I think it was a year or two ago.
Good point. Not to mention all the days when school is closed due to snow. Where I live we have about 10 or 12 snow days the school plans for, and many times they are used up. I would imagine that area would be the same. That's a lot of days to have to worry about your kids being alone all day if you have to work. Jmo

Who says people did not lock their doors? The Closs doors were locked.

Is there something verified that people in a meth area did not lock their doors?
"In the past decade, there have been a total of four killings in Barron County, according to the sheriff. Barron is the kind of town where screen doors are left unlatched in summer; in winter, few lock their front doors. Those days are over, several residents said."
Mystery in a Small Town: A Quiet Couple Shot Dead, Their Daughter Missing

"he said the whole community is on edge and “stuck in limbo” as they await more information. Meanwhile, she’s told her children to be aware of their surroundings, and her family is taking extra care to lock their door."
Missing Wisconsin teen: 911 call log reveals new details in disappearance of Jayme Closs

"People moved to the town because it is safe, but right now, they aren't feeling that way.
Many were taking extra precaution to feel safe.
People we spoke with told us Barron is a place you feel safe enough to leave doors unlocked.
Many added their doors have been locked since learning James and Denise Closs were killed, and 13-year-old Jayme vanished."
Barron community reacts to missing Jayme Closs

"Across Barron, a city of 3,300 about 90 miles northeast of the Twin Cities, people were locking their doors and adding security at homes and businesses. Some were talking to their children about keeping information off social media and warning against strangers."
and
"At Bushra Fashion Shop, owner Fadumo Hassan said she once walked all over town, feeling safe in the city where she’s lived for six years. Now she drives from place to place and locks everything. She’s been closing her store early, too."
Wisconsin town on edge with search for missing teen, parents found shot to death

and on and on. Like many areas across the united states there may be an outlaying drug issue, but it's not a den of meth heads. 4 murders in 10 years isn't what you'd expect to see in an area that is rampant with a meth problem.

I believe there has to be very pertinent info we don’t and will not know until resolution.
That could be! And I hope a tip turns into a solid lead. I think finding those cars will lead to something. I also believe there is someone out there who either knows or suspects something about this crime. Unless this guy is a recluse or has very good survival skills, someone must know him. I think it is a tip like that LE is hoping for. Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState