AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, exactly, cj1132 - so, for me, anything else is conspiracy theory...
though, I understand having a bit of a bee in your bonnet about things you can't let go..
seems the panty thief is one for a lot of folks
I understand: but, if we don't go with what LE is saying...we go down the rabbit hole
& if they play their cards close to their chests: they've got a good reason.

I don't get the unpaid debt theory as people want their $ back...not much chance of that if you kill the debtors. Or at least make it so others know that was the reason I.e mafia or something.

The perps who killed the Freeman's didn't worry too much about getting their money back did they? Nor did countless others who have killed over a debt-related issue. Sadly waiting for their money back seems to result in a build-up of anger and resentment in a lot of these cases and often ends up in a revenge killing - it could have happened in this case. JMOO

But sadly they do exist. Approximately 150 children each year are abducted and the children are later on found murdered. It has continued to climb in recent years just like home invasions.

The number one motive for abducting them is to sexual assault the child or children. So pedophiles are also certainly capable of murder as well.

As for as those who were willing to murder others who lived with the child I think it may be far more cases of where its happened than we are aware. Not every case has made national news especially if they happened years ago. But posters here have linked several cases where it has happened.

Recently D. Alverez was abducted from her home and still remains missing.

The suspect turned a pot of cooking oil on high on one of stove's burners before he took the 9 year old with him. He had every intention of burning their home down and killing all of her family inside. Thank goodness he wasnt successful but his full intention to murder them all was obvious.

I think there may be more cases where a parent or parents were viciously attacked before their child was taken but they may have survived the violent assaults.

I wish there was someway we could find all of these past cases but many would be found only in local or state run media whether online articles or local or state television stations or print newspapers.

Therein lies the problem when trying to amass them all. I think there are way more cases than we know about.

I have found many criminal cases over the years in local news articles that never made the national news and couldnt ever understand why they didnt.

We even have a forum here about stories that are not national stories but should be.

Imo

Can I ask - In the USA do you have or are you aware of any central database whereby this information is collated?

I ask because in the UK ( and I accept that we are much smaller in size / population and ergo number of offences / offenders ) we have a central database that is maintained by analysts and every Police Force within the U.K. (43) MUST submit detailed information when they record a crime whereby sexual violence has been a factor. So all offences of Rape ( stranger and otherwise) and Sexual offences involving children ( stranger and otherwise) Paedophilic crime etc
All the information is recorded into searchable categories and all Victim statements are added to the database to enable patterns to be identified and/ or potential suspects who have a particular MO ( modus operandi or their own way of working and potential fetishes).

It just assists in the event of a spree offender or attacks on people where a particular way of committing the crime is observed ( thinking of a comparable in the USA would be someone like BTK Dennis Radar whose MO was very specific to him ).
So back to my original question- are you aware of anything like this being in operation at a national level?

Article has been changed to say James was at work:

"On a Sunday nearly one month ago, Jennifer Smith held a birthday party for her grandson at her Barron, Wisconsin home. Jennifer’s sister Denise Closs, who lived just a couple of miles away, came to the party with her 13-year-old daughter, Jayme. Jim Closs, who is Denise's husband and Jayme's father, was at work."
Investigators no closer to finding missing teen Jayme Closs whose parents were found dead in Wisconsin home

On a Sunday nearly one month ago, Jennifer Smith held a birthday party for her grandson at her Barron, Wisconsin home. Jennifer’s sister Denise Closs, who lived just a couple of miles away, came to the party with her husband Jim and their 13-year-old daughter, Jayme.

Haven’t we been told James was NOT at the family party??

I wouldn’t count out a reporting error, it seems to be the norm these days. There’s no quotes in the article about James being there, or his mood or anything. IMO

This NBC reporter may have messed up on at least the "James Closs at the Party" thing.....That is one big contradiction from earlier Media stories.

This article says Jim was at the party and theY have Jayme’s phone?

In the first paragraph, the aunt states James came to the party with Denise... wth? I thought James didn't attend the party?? I should probably read the rest of that before I assume it means he attended, but now I think at the very least, did he drop them off????

"...who lived just a couple of miles away, came to the party with her husband Jim and their 13-year-old daughter, Jayme...."

Update info from the link:

On a Sunday nearly one month ago, Jennifer Smith held a birthday party for her grandson at her Barron, Wisconsin home. Jennifer’s sister Denise Closs, who lived just a couple of miles away, came to the party with her husband Jim and their 13-year-old daughter, Jayme.

The NBC article now says, "Editor's Note: A previous version of this article stated James Closs was at the family gathering in Barron, Wisconsin on Sunday, October 14. James Closs was not at the family gathering; he was at work."

Article has at least been updated (in the last 10 minutes or so maybe?).

Investigators no closer to finding missing teen Jayme Closs whose parents were found dead in Wisconsin home

On a Sunday nearly one month ago, Jennifer Smith held a birthday party for her grandson at her Barron, Wisconsin home. Jennifer’s sister Denise Closs, who lived just a couple of miles away, came to the party with her 13-year-old daughter, Jayme. Jim Closs, who is Denise's husband and Jayme's father, was at work.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article stated James Closs was at the family gathering in Barron, Wisconsin on Sunday, October 14. James Closs was not at the family gathering; he was at work.

I feel 99% sure the article is wrong about the phone and James being at party but jmo.

This case really reminds me of the Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman kidnapping and murders. There were 3 perps involved who broke into the Freeman's home and shot Danny and Kathy Freeman and kidnapped, raped and murdered Lauria and Ashley. It was over money owed for drugs (presumably by Danny Freeman). I wonder if what happened at the Closs home was debt related? Maybe not drugs but perhaps money owed for something else? James and Denise were the target and they took Jayme for reasons of their own?

I ran across a midwest case recently with 3 perps, caught and arrested. She reminds me of Jayme, just sweet and innocent. Raped, held captive for 29 days, girl swims across lake to escape, police say

Can I ask - In the USA do you have or are you aware of any central database whereby this information is collated?

I ask because in the UK ( and I accept that we are much smaller in size / population and ergo number of offences / offenders ) we have a central database that is maintained by analysts and every Police Force within the U.K. (43) MUST submit detailed information when they record a crime whereby sexual violence has been a factor. So all offences of Rape ( stranger and otherwise) and Sexual offences involving children ( stranger and otherwise) Paedophilic crime etc
All the information is recorded into searchable categories and all Victim statements are added to the database to enable patterns to be identified and/ or potential suspects who have a particular MO ( modus operandi or their own way of working and potential fetishes).

It just assists in the event of a spree offender or attacks on people where a particular way of committing the crime is observed ( thinking of a comparable in the USA would be someone like BTK Dennis Radar whose MO was very specific to him ).
So back to my original question- are you aware of anything like this being in operation at a national level?
Yes. We have the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) which is a central database used for tracking crime-related information.

It assists law enforcement in that it comprises 21 different categories containing everything from missing person’s files, to gang records.

Say a person goes missing, for instance. Their information would be loaded by local or federal agencies into NCIC. If this person turns up anywhere in the country, then the agency who entered the information would be made aware of it.

National Crime Information Center (NCIC) — FBI

Last edited:
I mentioned this before, but I get stuck on the initial suicide call. I realize the situation is fluid and it takes a while to get a complete picture, but I thought LE always assumed the worst arriving on scene and then backpedaled if need be. In this case, it seemed like the opposite happened. They called suicide then escalated. Especially given that they knew there was a disturbance going on just minutes before and could very likely be coming to a situation in progress. Calling a suicide seems potentially dangerous until the entire house was cleared. I did come up with your theory myself, but where would Jayme be after all this time? It would seem that she would have to get someone very close to her to hide her and that would seem hard to keep from LE after all this time. Strictly my opinion, as well.

I'm not a cop, but I understand they prepare for the worst, they don't necessarily assume anything going in, but DV and suicide are far more common in Barron then home invasion with a double homicide and a kidnapped teen .

They would observe from the outside for the first minute or so and that's when I believe they made that call to dispatch. Just imagine, everything is quiet when they arrive. All they know is there was a 911 hang up with yelling heard. They don't know about the marital status of the occupants. A year ago, some officers responding may have answered this call: Barron Sheriff: Three die in murder-suicide

I am not aware of one where every offense and details are available in one national data base.

The FBI may have one but I dont think its accessible for public viewing. Someone else may know though. Here it is up to each agencies what to report. Some do ...some dont and not in detail.

Your system sounds very interesting and I am sure it's very useful for all who are in the criminal justice system in your country.

Thank you for describing the system you have in place.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous headline! Probably a painful one for Jayme’s loved ones. Of course I expect nothing less from Radar Online. Reducing the number of FBI agents is not the same thing as giving up. Doubtful the case is going cold just yet. I’m betting (in other words, in my opinion) they have not received the analysis back on every bit of evidence.

I expect no less than a sensationalist twist from Radar. Ughh.

Didn't Fitzgerald recently say they had not received any of the lab results back yet on the evidence they have sent in?

Imo

I think, & would hope, that LE would come right out & say they cannot rule out a murder/suicide....unless this information was crucial to the case for some bizarre reason....

I just really don't think so.....James being right at that kicked in door, plus Jayme being missing.....

The autopsies indicated both parents were murdered and cause of death was gunshot. Even if the weapon had been taken from the scene by a person who didn't fire it, the autopsy would be able to determine if either parent had self-inflicted their wounds. They ruled both deaths homicides.

We need a new term for cold case. LE officials do not call a case cold if there is one tiny investigation. Those of us who live in a real world, when nothing new is found in months and months/years, essentially know it's a cold case, despite what LE says. So, if we want to be on the same page as LE, we need a specialized term for an investigation that goes on and on with no results. Ideas?

I am not aware of one where every offense and details are available in one national data base.

The FBI may have one but I dont think its accessible for public viewing. Someone else may know though. Here it is up to each agencies what to report. Some do ...some dont and not in detail.

Your system sounds very interesting and I am sure it's very useful for all who are in the criminal justice system in your country.

Thank you for describing the system you have in place.

I'd bet the FBI has a crime database that is 1000x more in-depth than NamUs, with cross-reference tools, filters, images and techie stuff we never even thought of.

We need a new term for cold case. LE officials do not call a case cold if there is one tiny investigation. Those of us who live in a real world, when nothing new is found in months and months/years, essentially know it's a cold case, despite what LE says. So, if we want to be on the same page as LE, we need a specialized term for an investigation that goes on and on with no results. Ideas?

Something that says, Pending Additional Information, but shorter ;)

Something that says, Pending Additional Information, but shorter ;)

Open and unsolved, I guess is how I would think about it. I think a cold case is when a detective is no longer actively working it. On tv they always show the detective going to some steel file cabinet in the back of the station and opening the bottom drawer and pulling out a thick manila folder file lol. And then they blow on it and a puff of dust comes off! But then again, I am not LE...and there are plenty here to chime in

moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members