AMBER ALERT WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *endangered* #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be careful with the jail log. Not all of the people were recent arrestees. People who are sentenced to jail up to a certain length (likely less than two years) serve the sentence in the county jail. The only way to know is to go through each individual and search the Wisconsin court site to find out if they had been sentenced on a case to determine if that is why they are listed as an inmate (you have to read through the docket for that). The jail log does not make any distinction between those just arrested and those that are sentenced except some (but not all) of those sentenced will also have a future release date.

Jetho4, does the "bail jumping" listed mean they committed a crime while on bail? I always think of "jumping bail" to mean leaving town, not showing up for court date, etc. It appears in the Barron Weekly Inmate log, committing any new crime while on bail/bond conditions is considered "bail jumping".

I'll admit I agree that the two teen gals cruising @ at 2 am on a Monday is probably 'nothing'
But, then again, you have two people murdered & a 13 year old missing
These two gals more than likely not only have zero to do with the crime, but more so, know nothing

Here's the deal: I don't think these gals have scanners, or any such & one sleuther here posted that there isn't anything publicly available like that in Barron County....
Even so: maybe a brother, father did...maybe a friend did.....

These gals are within the age range of my own little hypothetical profile of a perp: 18-22

It is possible they learned something was going to go down...maybe just generally...
maybe they even knew Closs family targeted....

They're up all night, on pins/needles wondering if anything is going to 'go down' if so & so is right about the rumors, if so & so is going to do what he/they said,

Maybe they have access to information or a friend does or maybe they think: heck, let's just drive out & see if anything is happening......

& yes, I am certain LE would question them, question any one they know - and to be honest I'd want DNA sample: if someone is related to them that did this: that could help...

My interest & zeal here could simply be because there's nothing much new......
but this tidbit about these teen gals, for me, was....
JMO

It has been a month.

Why are they just looking at videos now? With that many people originally working, would not one think this would be done right away?

Imagine some people may have been on vacation. I read somewhere that out of state cabin owners were contacted to see if they would allow property searches.

Some people could have been on a cruise or in the hospital. Who knows. But this seems late to be examining video

I think LE would do well to consider WS sleuthers' ideas! We posted "look at dashcam videos" within the first days! And I also thought looking at videos of cars going TOWARDS the Closs's in the hours before the attack was a good idea. Not bashing L E - but some times LE doesn't do a spiffy job.

Jetho4, does the "bail jumping" listed mean they committed a crime while on bail? I always think of "jumping bail" to mean leaving town, not showing up for court date, etc. It appears in the Barron Weekly Inmate log, committing any new crime while on bail/bond conditions is considered "bail jumping".
It means they violated one or more conditions of their bail. That could be anything from failing a drug test, having alcohol in their home, leaving the county (even to visit family) without permission, contacting someone they were told not to contact, failure to appear, etc.

I really do think the two teenage girls were just cruising around and looking for drama. I well remember what it is like being a teen and I can totally see two girls lurking around and looking for 'excitement.' Thankfully, they weren't part of any real trouble!

If we could only know the motive, the why, the reason the perp/perps chose that particular house, so much else would then fall into place. A direction and sequence of facts could be followed. A crime scene or victim chosen at random is so very difficult to solve.

Thank you for your reply.

The sad fact is strangers do take these high risk quite frequently now.

Home invasions are definitely happening in rural areas.

But the strangers have become so bold now they are also invading homes during broad daylight in busy residential areas resulting in multiple murders of everyone who was inside.

Also there have been several cases over the years where a stranger entered the home murdering or severely assaulting parent/s and their child or children were taken.

So taking bold risks seems to be something these type of criminals are more than willing to take.

Jmo

I see an increase in break-ins in my area (monitoring my neighborhood’s Nextdoor web-based group), and they do tend to involve teens or young twenty-somethings. Home owners are tired of it, and some are publishing pictures from their door cams of the offenders (it seems there is always more than one and none I can think of as being a lone wolf).

In the cases you are seeing with the bold risks, where the parents are killed, is there any common denominator as far as the motive?

Fascinating, I agree, but outside of my wheelhouse and expertise too. I did have a thought today - that maybe the unsub has/had issues with his own parents. Angry at his own father & mother and this is some kind of psychological transference. That's the kind of thing these behavior analyst are versed in. They might relay something like that to local LE after seeing the crime scene, perhaps that will resonate with someone they've had issues with in the recent past, etc.

We're focused on the Closs family, because we don't know much about the perp(s). I just don't get the sense that this was about the Closs family at all, but maybe about wht they emulate or represent. Perhaps the perp saw a happy family, something he does not have and he risked everything to destroy it. IDK, just a thought.
Not in my expertise either but you did touch on an important aspect. The whole process of criminal or forensic profiling is like following a flow chart. Part of it is profiling the victims to gain a perspective of their outward characteristics (how others might see them) and match those to similar murder victims. They can then look at the characteristics of the similar victim's killers and see if anything matches up to the evidence they have gathered. So you are right on in your comment!

Regarding the two teens driving around the crime scene and being asked to leave. It may not have been a scanner that brought them there (or do we know that as a fact listed somewhere?) The way I envision it is that these two teenagers were driving home from somewhere--I know it's very late to be out on a school night, but I work with teens, and they are up to all hours of the night, surprisingly (or unsurprisingly).

Maybe the teens were driving home from a friend's house and their trek home takes them past the Closs residence. Then they get nosy/curious and want to see what the commotion is about so they keep driving back and forth.

I did find it odd, as well, and this is all JMO, but that would be an innocent explanation of them being there.

Very true, never know with teens that age! Could’ve been passing by on their way home since they possibly live about 20 miles away as Jethro4WS stated earlier.
Fairly sure my 22 (D) nor 20 (S) year old would not have been brave enough to drive by enough to be asked to stop and their info recorded in a police record at that age. Maybe if they were out “helping” a friend. Or maybe had entirely too much caffeine on a drive home from somewhere that I obviously didn’t know about very early on a Monday morning.
Maybe this shows the kind of “traffic” that passes on this highway.
Someone stated earlier that they would like to know more about this area from a local. I agree, might help with the setting!

Thank you for your reply.

The sad fact is strangers do take these high risk quite frequently now.

Home invasions are definitely happening in rural areas.

But the strangers have become so bold now they are also invading homes during broad daylight in busy residential areas resulting in multiple murders of everyone who was inside.

Also there have been several cases over the years where a stranger entered the home murdering or severely assaulting parent/s and their child or children were taken.

So taking bold risks seems to be something these type of criminals are more than willing to take.

Jmo

That is so awful. That’s why profilers and psychologists are so impressive to me; I can’t even fathom the inner workings of a psycho’s brain. Bold brutality for fun is so far removed from anything I can imagine even doing, it’s hard for me to see the motivation in others.

If there is little DNA at the scene then this suggests it was something planned...
& the fact it may appear unplanned is part of the plan

Why? So little DNA...
If planned & the perp(s) have a couple neurons to rub together they'd put on some sort of mask, like those that wrap over your head.....cover your nose & mouth.
No hairs left, no saliva...
They would wear gloves: no fingerprints

Only thing here: it was October & had snowed a bit: not sure how a well planned perp(s) could cover any footprints: their shoes would be wet/moist & possibly track dirt/mud
Also: car tracks in the gravel drive...

Those perp(s) could have shot James & then been holding Denise & Jayme hostage...until 'something' happened.....911 called, commotion ensue...

Very true, never know with teens that age! Could’ve been passing by on their way home since they possibly live about 20 miles away as Jethro4WS stated earlier.
Fairly sure my 22 (D) nor 20 (S) year old would not have been brave enough to drive by enough to be asked to stop and their info recorded in a police record at that age. Maybe if they were out “helping” a friend. Or maybe had entirely too much caffeine on a drive home from somewhere that I obviously didn’t know about very early on a Monday morning.
Maybe this shows the kind of “traffic” that passes on this highway.
Someone stated earlier that they would like to know more about this area from a local. I agree, might help with the setting!

The teen girls driving by did raise my eyebrow in the early days when that information was released via the call log. They were told to go on. It is suspicious, certainly, but as time has gone by, it must be an innocuous event, right?

Well - yeah, even when I thought these teen gals were cruising the scene of the crime during the day, after the news had broke, I thought it a bit weird
That's why, for me, it's making my hinky-o-meter go off learning they were cruising the scene of the crime @ an hour after the police responded...
JMO

Okay, so I see the idea of police getting there in four minutes mentioned a lot. But didn't we way way back add up the minutes from 911 call to operator trying to call back and finally to the units dispatched and on scene - and it was 7 or 9 minutes, something like that??? I'm on a horrible little tablet and can't easily pull up the info -

I think the public will lose interest if there are no more facts released. If the 911 call is all they have to catch peoples' attention, I think they should release it. I think we're almost out of public interest already; the news rolls on quickly.

We're in a niche forum here that specializes in unsolved crimes, but not everyone is like us; many people don't actively search for information, they're passively fed it while watching the news.

If there's nothing newsworthy to report on, she won't be in the news.
If she's not in the news, she will be forgotten.
My top concern is keeping her sweet face in peoples' minds, her name in their mouths so that everyone's quest for answers stays alive because someone, somewhere knows something.

They'll lose interest regardless, as soon as the media dangles a new shiny thing in front of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo